• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Oregon St DB Transfers

uofmman1122 said:
Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly happy with the jobs that Calhoun and Nash did stepping into the CB roles, but if the prospect of having two FBS drop down corners as starters worries you more than having two converted FCS WRs as starters did, that seems like a strange thing to be overly concerned about. Our corner play was not particularly stellar most of last season.

There's a really good chance that Corbin Walker would've beaten Nash out on the depth chart if he had stayed, anyways, and he'd potentially be looking at being the 4th guy in. With that in mind, the transfer makes a lot more sense.

They aren’t drop down corners. The drops downs are safeties that are being converted to corner but have not played the position in college or high school. Also they weren’t starters at the OSU. Nash has played corner for three years at the college level. Walker played limited time and was picked on a few times so I think it’s fair to be concerned about the position. It’s pretty unproven.

dayday said:
uofmman1122 said:
Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly happy with the jobs that Calhoun and Nash did stepping into the CB roles, but if the prospect of having two FBS drop down corners as starters worries you more than having two converted FCS WRs as starters did, that seems like a strange thing to be overly concerned about. Our corner play was not particularly stellar most of last season.

There's a really good chance that Corbin Walker would've beaten Nash out on the depth chart if he had stayed, anyways, and he'd potentially be looking at being the 4th guy in. With that in mind, the transfer makes a lot more sense.

They aren’t drop down corners. The drops downs are safeties that are being converted to corner but have not played the position in college or high school. Also they weren’t starters at the OSU. Nash has played corner for three years at the college level. Walker played limited time and was picked on a few times so I think it’s fair to be concerned about the position. It’s pretty unproven.
I’m just saying let’s wait until after spring ball to proclaim that our corner situation is in shambles and write off two really good athletes coming to help us out. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

uofmman1122 said:
Drop downs since 2010 that (subjectively) didn't work out:

TJ Reynard (Wisconsin) - If I remember right, he came in off the bench mostly as a nickel.
Donald Bedell (Rutgers) - Was a role player off the bench most of his career.
Chris Favaroso (App State) - Being a little generous, but he did go to ASU his first season. Counting him as not working out because he left the team in 2018.
Kadeem Hemphill (SJSU) - Injuries took away a promising prospect.
Mason Vinyard (WSU) - Left team without playing.
Mykal Tolliver (Hawaii) - Jury is still out.

Drop downs since 2010 that did work out:

Tyrone Duncan (UDub) - Amazing DT for our 2010 and 2011 teams.
Markell Sanders (WSU) - Stepped in an played well in 2016 and 2017. Not a shut down corner, but arguably a better pure CB than Nash/Calhoun.
Yamen Sanders (UA) - I do think that Sanders worked out, but I know he was a whipping boy for a lot of posters on here in 2015/2016. Played hurt for most of his career.
Justin Strong (OSU) - Was a pivotal part of the 2016 and 2017 secondaries.
James Banks (UAB) - IIRC, led the team in tackles in 2017.
David Shaw (Maryland) - Dude was a stud in the middle.
Gavin Robertson (UA) - Working out pretty great so far.
Reid Miller (Arkansas) - Played really well as a on again/off again starter.
Joe Babros (NC State) - Started a few games and did well before he got hurt.
Keynan Foster (UTEP) - Started as kick returner and did pretty well, although he's borderline for a CB.

10 out of 16 seems pretty good, and 6 out of 9 in the secondary is even better.

All of this is to say that I don't think Nash leaving should have anyone panicked just yet. It sucks because I liked the kid, but we're still +1 in total number of CBs than we were before Hicks-Onu and Cotton showed up, and I'm excited to see what these two more prototypical CBs bring to our defense.

Some others that I found:

Didn’t work out:

Nate Montana - QB(Notre Dame) Never took a snap and left after one year
Marlon Miles - DB (Western Michigan) played sparingly
Adam Brzeczek - QB (Stanford) - flamed out before taking a snap
Nick Holt ? (UW) - Disappears after one forgetful year

Worked out:

Antwon Moutra- WR (UCLA) played significant snaps
Kjelby Oiland - OL (UNLV) integral O-lineman
Brody McKnight - K (Purdue) primary kicker most of his time here
Kavario Middleton - TE (UW) - shared TE reps but was definitely not a bust
Bobby Alt DE (SDSU) - Stud DE during his time here
Ellis Henderson WR - (Hawaii) - STUD
Jamaal Jones WR - (UW) - STUD SQUARED
Travon Van RB - (Marshall) - Stud who had trouble staying healthy
Kendrick Van Ackern LB (Hawaii) - Stud LB
Chad Chalich QB (Idaho) - a reach, I know, but he was serviceable as QB during his time here
Jamaal Wilson RB/DT (Boise St) - Integral, badass team player willing to do anything
Reece Phillips QB (Kentucky) - Stud, but career ending injury early in career here

Not sure if you were only focusing on defensive drop downs, but I’ve learned something through this exercise: (1) I have a shitty memory and my statement is essentially just wrong; and (2) something else I can’t remember.

AZGrizFan said:
My fear is that drop downs frequently don't pan out. If THESE two don't pan out we're in deep doo doo...

If they don't pan out, Griz would be in deep doo doo with or without Nash.

uofmman1122 said:
dayday said:
uofmman1122 said:

I’m just saying let’s wait until after spring ball to proclaim that our corner situation is in shambles and write off two really good athletes coming to help us out. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think it’s fair to be concerned about depth and what is unproven. Maybe shambles is too strong of a word but it would seem to be a major question mark.

dayday said:
uofmman1122 said:

The older safety started 3 of the 6 games he played in last season, and 2 games in prior seasons, according to the Ore St website.

uofmman1122 said:
dayday said:
uofmman1122 said:

Has anyone proclaimed it “in shambles”? Have we said we’re “writing off” the two really good athletes who are now here? I haven’t seen that anywhere.

grizindabox said:
AZGrizFan said:
My fear is that drop downs frequently don't pan out. If THESE two don't pan out we're in deep doo doo...

If they don't pan out, Griz would be in deep doo doo with or without Nash.

True. Now it gets just a little bit deeper without Nash in the mix.

dayday said:
uofmman1122 said:
dayday said:
uofmman1122 said:

I think it’s fair to be concerned about depth and what is unproven. Maybe shambles is too strong of a word but it would seem to be a major question mark.
I just look at it this way (and it’s just my opinion), but I feel better right now without Nash than I would have if he had stuck around and we didn’t land the dropdowns. Again, my opinion, and I’ll eat crow if I’m wrong, but I feel our secondary has a much higher ceiling now, and the floor isn’t that much lower.

AZGrizFan said:
uofmman1122 said:
dayday said:
uofmman1122 said:

Has anyone proclaimed it “in shambles”? Have we said we’re “writing off” the two really good athletes who are now here? I haven’t seen that anywhere.
I don’t want to pile on, because he admitted above that it was maybe too strong, but dayday did use that exact phrase in another post.

uofmman1122 said:
AZGrizFan said:
uofmman1122 said:
dayday said:

I don’t want to pile on, because he admitted above that it was maybe too strong, but dayday did use that exact phrase in another post.

Yeah I did but maybe a tad strong for it being January and not August. I do think it’s the biggest question mark on the team at the moment.

dayday said:
uofmman1122 said:
AZGrizFan said:
uofmman1122 said:

Yeah I did but maybe a tad strong for it being January and not August. I do think it’s the biggest question mark on the team at the moment.
Biggest question mark is a fair assessment. It’ll be exciting to see these two in action this spring.

uofmman1122 said:
AZGrizFan said:
uofmman1122 said:

Corbin walker could have/would have taken Calhoun's spot.

As for Walker, I'm assuming that he and the two OSU corners moved ahead of Nash.

But anyway, do they frequently not pan out? And how do we define that? Are all non-starters dudes who didn't pan out? I guess we can use that distinction.

I thought I'd look because I genuinely am curious as to how often the drop downs we get pan out or not. I've highlighted secondary players, since that's what we're interested in seeing.

Drop downs since 2010 that (subjectively) didn't work out:

TJ Reynard (Wisconsin) - If I remember right, he came in off the bench mostly as a nickel.
Donald Bedell (Rutgers) - Was a role player off the bench most of his career.
Chris Favaroso (App State) - Being a little generous, but he did go to ASU his first season. Counting him as not working out because he left the team in 2018.
Kadeem Hemphill (SJSU) - Injuries took away a promising prospect.
Mason Vinyard (WSU) - Left team without playing.
Mykal Tolliver (Hawaii) - Jury is still out.

Drop downs since 2010 that did work out:

Tyrone Duncan (UDub) - Amazing DT for our 2010 and 2011 teams.
Markell Sanders (WSU) - Stepped in an played well in 2016 and 2017. Not a shut down corner, but arguably a better pure CB than Nash/Calhoun.
Yamen Sanders (UA) - I do think that Sanders worked out, but I know he was a whipping boy for a lot of posters on here in 2015/2016. Played hurt for most of his career.
Justin Strong (OSU) - Was a pivotal part of the 2016 and 2017 secondaries.
James Banks (UAB) - IIRC, led the team in tackles in 2017.
David Shaw (Maryland) - Dude was a stud in the middle.
Gavin Robertson (UA) - Working out pretty great so far.
Reid Miller (Arkansas) - Played really well as a on again/off again starter.
Joe Babros (NC State) - Started a few games and did well before he got hurt.
Keynan Foster (UTEP) - Started as kick returner and did pretty well, although he's borderline for a CB.

10 out of 16 seems pretty good, and 6 out of 9 in the secondary is even better.

All of this is to say that I don't think Nash leaving should have anyone panicked just yet. It sucks because I liked the kid, but we're still +1 in total number of CBs than we were before Hicks-Onu and Cotton showed up, and I'm excited to see what these two more prototypical CBs bring to our defense.

Favoroso had a great year with Duquense this year. 2nd team all NEC, and played in the Tropical Bowl. Had a couple of nice plays which can be found on YouTube.

uofmman1122 said:
dayday said:
uofmman1122 said:
AZGrizFan said:

Biggest question mark is a fair assessment. It’ll be exciting to see these two in action this spring.

yes, I see he used that exact phrase (shambles) in the Nash thread.... :oops:

From their UM bio's. Check out Omar's 4.38 40 time. And Trajon's high hihh school safety ratings by Scout.

Omar:

• Played in six games for the Beavers [starting 3]
• Picked up 28 tackles and one TFL

• Did not play due to injury

• Played in all 12 games, starting twice, including for the first time of his career against Stanford
• Ended the season with 38 tackles, including 17 solo. Added 2.5 tackles for loss, one forced fumble, one interception and one pass breakup
• Tallied a season-best six tackles against USC, and forced a fumble while on special teams
• Posted two more six-tackle games: against Arizona State and at Oregon, Added a pass breakup against the Ducks
• Picked off a pass against Stanford - the first of his career - to go along with five tackles
• Tallied TFLs twice: 1.0 at Colorado State and 1.5 against Stanford

• Played in all 12 games mostly on special teams
• Finished the season with 11 tackles, including five on coverage units
• Registered a season-high three tackles at Colorado
• Pac-12 All-Academic Honorable Mention

• Did not play in a game using his redshirt season
• Played at safety for the scout team

HIGH SCHOOL
• Played in just five games as a senior due to injury
• Timed in the 40 at 4.38 and the shuttle at 4.28
• Elite Scouting Services rated him among its top 100 defensive back prospects in Texas prior to 2014 season
• Excellent sprinter and ran a leg for the Hebron 100- and 200-meter relays

"PRONOUNCED Tray-Jon

2019 (REDSHIRT SOPHOMORE)
• Did not see action due to injury

2018 (REDSHIRT FRESHMAN)
• Played in two games, making three tackles at Arizona State

2017 (FRESHMAN)
• Did not play. Utilized his redshirt season

INDERKUM HIGH SCHOOL
• Rated as the No. 3 safety in California, No. 7 in the West and No. 46 nationally by Scout
• First team All-Metro as a junior and senior
• Two-time MaxPreps honoree
• Four-time all-league
• MVP of the league as a senior
• Played quarterback and safety
• 2,834 career passing yards with 29 touchdowns, 734 rushing yards with 11 TDs
• 155 tackles with 10 interceptions

PlayerRep said:
From their UM bio's. Check out Omar's 4.38 40 time. And Trajon's high hihh school safety ratings by Scout.

Omar:

• Played in all 12 games, starting twice, including for the first time of his career against Stanford
• Ended the season with 38 tackles, including 17 solo. Added 2.5 tackles for loss, one forced fumble, one interception and one pass breakup
• Tallied a season-best six tackles against USC, and forced a fumble while on special teams
• Posted two more six-tackle games: against Arizona State and at Oregon, Added a pass breakup against the Ducks
• Picked off a pass against Stanford - the first of his career - to go along with five tackles

HIGH SCHOOL
• Elite Scouting Services rated him among its top 100 defensive back prospects in Texas prior to 2014 season

"PRONOUNCED Tray-Jon

2018 (REDSHIRT FRESHMAN)

2017 (FRESHMAN)

INDERKUM HIGH SCHOOL
• Rated as the No. 3 safety in California, No. 7 in the West and No. 46 nationally by Scout
• Four-time all-league

Ya but they’ve never played CB before so we’re just screwed.

PlayerRep said:

Omar:

HIGH SCHOOL

"PRONOUNCED Tray-Jon

2018 (REDSHIRT FRESHMAN)

2017 (FRESHMAN)

INDERKUM HIGH SCHOOL
• Four-time all-league

Just an fyi, Omar's actual 40 time from HS is a 4.52 (which is a very good time). That's laser, btw. I would guess the 4.38 was a hand time.

He also tore his ACL a couple years ago, so hopefully he's back to that speed. We need it.

[*]
PTGrizzly said:
PlayerRep said:

Omar:

HIGH SCHOOL

"PRONOUNCED Tray-Jon

2018 (REDSHIRT FRESHMAN)

2017 (FRESHMAN)

INDERKUM HIGH SCHOOL
• Four-time all-league

Just an fyi, Omar's actual 40 time from HS is a 4.52 (which is a very good time). That's laser, btw. I would guess the 4.38 was a hand time.

He also tore his ACL a couple years ago, so hopefully he's back to that speed. We need it.

What's your source for that time? He ran 4.4 last year. His acl was fine last fall when he started 3 games for Oregon St. He was a sprinter in high school in Texas.

PlayerRep said:
[*]
PTGrizzly said:
PlayerRep said:

Omar:

HIGH SCHOOL

"PRONOUNCED Tray-Jon

2018 (REDSHIRT FRESHMAN)

2017 (FRESHMAN)

INDERKUM HIGH SCHOOL
• Four-time all-league

What's your source for that time? He ran 4.4 last year. His acl was fine last fall when he started 3 games for Oregon St. He was a sprinter in high school in Texas.

Ummm...would ESPN and The Opening be a good enough source for you? They're fairly credible, I think.

If you're not aware, The Opening is a series of combines for HS athletes. Among other things, they have a laser timed 40 yard dash. So like I said, a laser 4.52 is a very good time. Check out how many at the NFL combine ran faster...there's not that many. The amount of sub 4.4 football players is incredibly miniscule.

I'm glad to hear his ACL is fine now! As I'm sure you know, some people recover differently. You never know if it will be the same as before, so that's why I mentioned it.

PTGrizzly said:
PlayerRep said:
[*]
PTGrizzly said:
PlayerRep said:

Omar:

HIGH SCHOOL

"PRONOUNCED Tray-Jon

2018 (REDSHIRT FRESHMAN)

2017 (FRESHMAN)

INDERKUM HIGH SCHOOL
• Four-time all-league

Ummm...would ESPN and The Opening be a good enough source for you? They're fairly credible, I think.

If you're not aware, The Opening is a series of combines for HS athletes. Among other things, they have a laser timed 40 yard dash. So like I said, a laser 4.52 is a very good time. Check out how many at the NFL combine ran faster...there's not that many. The amount of sub 4.4 football players is incredibly miniscule.

I'm glad to hear his ACL is fine now! As I'm sure you know, some people recover differently. You never know if it will be the same as before, so that's why I mentioned it.

Sorry, but I call BS on you and that. I will take the official Oregon St times from last year. He ran 4.40, the 5th fastest on the team. The 2 corners who ran faster were both at 4.39. 2 receivers faster than that. He was the fastest safety and ran faster than 6 corners.

I sent the list to Brint. Perhaps he can post it. I'm too technically challenged to do that.

Back