• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Offense

Would you say Cam is playing tentative? Not scared, but not quite confident in his decisions either.

If you had to practice against our defenses day-in, and day-out, how healthy would your mental state be?

DrainBramage said:
Would you say Cam is playing tentative? Not scared, but not quite confident in his decisions either.

If you had to practice against our defenses day-in, and day-out, how healthy would your mental state be?

I would like to think it would make things easier.

As Hauck has stated, a sign of a good team is winning when you're not playing your best. Today was definitely not our best, and it was a blowout due to enough plays from all facets of the game.

The offense did not finish drives today even though they consistently moved the ball up and down the field. There were many reasons for that, and though there is a lot of harping on Cam, the offense as a whole was not finishing drives. The backs were running hard (Knight was dying having to watch from the sideline and I can tell he is itching to be back), but seemed to be a little tentative and wait too long to hit the hole. That being said there was 2 BIG runs that were called back, and they were more aggressive running North and South in the second half including hitting some of the smaller holes. It did not seem like the o-line was as dominant as they were 2 weeks ago, and though they were creating holes they weren't consistently getting the push they needed upfield to sustain consecutive running plays on drives. Pass protection was good at times and bad at times and Cam was definitely seeing some pressure. Several holding calls were killers as well. Give Cal Poly some credit for their defensive play calls in some key situations. As usual the receivers made good plays, but there was also a few drops from the group that killed drives, and a couple of 50/50 balls that the receivers simply did not win. The playbook was not opened all the way up, and I can only assume this was due to the upcoming game against EWU, and the fact that the game was never in doubt today. We were in long down and distances far too often, but did convert a few of these which was promising. 3rd and 15-25 always seems convertible with this wide receiver group and Cams arm.

As far as Cam. You got to dance with who brung you. Cam made some great plays today as usual, and he had some underthrown and bad balls as usual. The receivers compensated for a few of the underthrows, but a few of the drops in tight windows would have made him look better as well. The most important thing is that he did not turn the ball over. He extended plays even though he is too quick to leave the pocket instead of step-up into it. He does make decent decisions when to give up the ghost and toss it or tuck it and get a few yards. A few of these extended plays saw some receivers sitting wide open down field and he could have launched some, but chose to make the safer decision.

It looked like a team coming off a bye instead of one of the biggest winds in program history like they were 2 weeks ago. Lots of room to improve for EWU, but I expect Bobby is not going to let them off the hook this week, Rosie will have them dialed in, and the eags will pay the price defensively.

I think today's game was a very plain, vanilla offense...nothing on tape for EWU to scout...Coach Hauck has some things up his sleeve to surprise EWU defense and get some fast points on the board next week!

Griz Addict said:
HookedonGriz said:
Cam makes some absolutely incredible throws that most quarterbacks in the big sky cannot even make. He has a cannon and he really can throw it from opposite hash to sideline w ease. But I must admit he definitely holds onto the ball a little longer than I would like to see sometimes and he definitely forces the ball into some coverages that I’d rather see him not do

With that said, he doesn’t get sacked a lot and he doesn’t turn the ball over a lot and as long as he play smart and manages the game well he could take this team very far. Our defense alone will have us in every game.

Have you watched the other teams even play? He's not even a top 5 big sky qb. I'd take UNCs McCaffrey over him.

I’ve watched almost every other QB in the conference, yes. Cam is currently 3rd in the entire Big Sky for QB efficiency.

https://bigskyconf.com/stats.aspx?path=football&year=2021

And the most important stat of all….3-0. I’ll take that all day and twice on Sundays.

HookedonGriz said:
Griz Addict said:
Have you watched the other teams even play? He's not even a top 5 big sky qb. I'd take UNCs McCaffrey over him.

I’ve watched almost every other QB in the conference, yes. Cam is currently 3rd in the entire Big Sky for QB efficiency.

And the most important stat of all….3-0. I’ll take that all day and twice on Sundays.

TBH, it is not a great year for BSC quarterbacks

HelenaHandBasket said:
HookedonGriz said:

That's because Cam isn't a risk taker. QB efficiency doesn't mean a whole lot. When he can have a game where he can pass over 300 yards, I'll feel better about him. He doesn't have the ability to take over a game and win with his skill set. He manages an offense with a dominant o line and dominant receivers. With with the skill players he has surrounding him, he should be able to easily put up 300+ against teams like CP. Shit EWU back up qb, looked better to me. I like risk takers that can make the correct reads and win a game just by their decision making and accuracy. Our run game is good enough to open up the passing game. I did like how he seemed to go to his 2nd and 3rd reads more against CP. But, I need to see more swagger and aggressiveness from him. I feel like most QBs in the fcs could win with our talent on offense and with our defense. He just needs to put in more effort and push himself. He's capable but, it's like he's holding back. He needs to unleash and control the game instead of manage. There is a difference.

Griz Addict said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

That's because Cam isn't a risk taker. QB efficiency doesn't mean a whole lot. When he can have a game where he can pass over 300 yards, I'll feel better about him. He doesn't have the ability to take over a game and win with his skill set. He manages an offense with a dominant o line and dominant receivers. With with the skill players he has surrounding him, he should be able to easily put up 300+ against teams like CP. Shit EWU back up qb, looked better to me. I like risk takers that can make the correct reads and win a game just by their decision making and accuracy. Our run game is good enough to open up the passing game. I did like how he seemed to go to his 2nd and 3rd reads more against CP. But, I need to see more swagger and aggressiveness from him. I feel like most QBs in the fcs could win with our talent on offense and with our defense. He just needs to put in more effort and push himself. He's capable but, it's like he's holding back. He needs to unleash and control the game instead of manage. There is a difference.

Being a game manager isn't bad, he just needs to be more consistent.

Many years of Bobby Ball tells us that 300 yard passing games can be rare.
Not having our No. 1 and No. 2 running backs is obviously a big set back.
Harris is going to improve. He'd be better now if he played more than one full game. But nothing is going to come easy for this offense until Knight and Ostmo return.

Wolf777 said:
As Hauck has stated, a sign of a good team is winning when you're not playing your best. Today was definitely not our best, and it was a blowout due to enough plays from all facets of the game.

The offense did not finish drives today even though they consistently moved the ball up and down the field. There were many reasons for that, and though there is a lot of harping on Cam, the offense as a whole was not finishing drives. The backs were running hard (Knight was dying having to watch from the sideline and I can tell he is itching to be back), but seemed to be a little tentative and wait too long to hit the hole. That being said there was 2 BIG runs that were called back, and they were more aggressive running North and South in the second half including hitting some of the smaller holes. It did not seem like the o-line was as dominant as they were 2 weeks ago, and though they were creating holes they weren't consistently getting the push they needed upfield to sustain consecutive running plays on drives. Pass protection was good at times and bad at times and Cam was definitely seeing some pressure. Several holding calls were killers as well. Give Cal Poly some credit for their defensive play calls in some key situations. As usual the receivers made good plays, but there was also a few drops from the group that killed drives, and a couple of 50/50 balls that the receivers simply did not win. The playbook was not opened all the way up, and I can only assume this was due to the upcoming game against EWU, and the fact that the game was never in doubt today. We were in long down and distances far too often, but did convert a few of these which was promising. 3rd and 15-25 always seems convertible with this wide receiver group and Cams arm.

As far as Cam. You got to dance with who brung you. Cam made some great plays today as usual, and he had some underthrown and bad balls as usual. The receivers compensated for a few of the underthrows, but a few of the drops in tight windows would have made him look better as well. The most important thing is that he did not turn the ball over. He extended plays even though he is too quick to leave the pocket instead of step-up into it. He does make decent decisions when to give up the ghost and toss it or tuck it and get a few yards. A few of these extended plays saw some receivers sitting wide open down field and he could have launched some, but chose to make the safer decision.

It looked like a team coming off a bye instead of one of the biggest winds in program history like they were 2 weeks ago. Lots of room to improve for EWU, but I expect Bobby is not going to let them off the hook this week, Rosie will have them dialed in, and the eags will pay the price defensively.

You must have been watching a different game than me. Offense had exactly TWO drives longer than 5 plays until the last drive of the game. I wouldn’t call that “consistently moving the ball up and down the field”. Three TD’s from the offense….one big hitter and two sustained drives. That ain’t gonna cut it against EWU. We had terrific field position the first 3-4 drives and did absolutely nothing with it. We can’t expect special teams/D to score 22 points a game.

EWU has zero defense. WIU put up 56 points on those hapless dolts. I have WAY more concerns about stopping EWU’s offense.

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
Offense is hamstrung by the QB. There are open receivers but the ball is thrown into triple coverage. The coaches think that cam is the best option for now, so he must be, but that is where the problem lies. The running game is good, the receivers are getting open, the line is protecting the QB and yet the ball is overthrown, underthrown, or isn’t thrown to the open receivers. I’ll now get crucified for saying so but I was there and witnessed it.
So we are hamstrung by our QB; Quite the analysis. 15/24 (63%), 215 yards in 3 quarters of play, 2 TDs, 0 Ints. A number of his incompletions were throwaways to avoid throwing into coverage. The OL was not protecting as well as you suggest; our QB's mobility saved several sacks. They also had two great offensive plays called back with holding penalties. For the season our QB is 47/74 (64%), 572 yards, 7 TDs, 2 ints and a QB efficiency of 154.3. This of course includes the game against Washington, one of the best defensive teams in the PAC12. BH and TR know a hell of a lot more about offensive football than you and this is just the performance they want from their QB to win all three games. So, since you are so motivated to play an individual blame game, look somewhere else.

Griz Addict said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

CH manages the game exactly like BH and TR want him too. Conservative, avoid TOs and sacks. You say QB efficiency doesn't mean a whole lot. And you put a premium on passing for 300 yards; BH and TR don't. This is not an aerial circus offense and does not need to be with our ST and defense play. It is designed to win games, not to entertain you. Anyone with football knowledge could see easily that we played this game with a limited play set. And this from a former OLman, you're overrating our OL play. Good enough to win, certainly not dominant.

Griz Addict said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

1. Our OL was far from dominant.
2. Our run game ran for less than less than 100 yards and averaged 2.9/carry.
3. Swagger is just a catch word it doesn't mean anything. Like DOLA or MSU grad.
4. You are saying that Cam Humphrey does not put out enough effort? What are you basing this on?

HelenaHandBasket said:
AllWeatherFan said:
EWU has zero defense. WIU put up 56 points on those hapless dolts. I have WAY more concerns about stopping EWU’s offense.

Poly has almost zero defense.

Total defense, pretty much.
118 out of 123 teams. EWU is 70th. Griz are 11th.
WIU is 119th. Udub is 53rd in fbs.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fcs/current/team/22

SaskGriz said:
Griz Addict said:
1. Our OL was far from dominant.
2. Our run game ran for less than less than 100 yards and averaged 2.9/carry.
3. Swagger is just a catch word it doesn't mean anything. Like DOLA or MSU grad. :lol:
4. You are saying that Cam Humphrey does not put out enough effort? What are you basing this on?

Back