• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

obvious difference between jmu, ndsu and the rest of the field

2011BisonAlumni said:
PlayerRep said:
ordigger said:
2011BisonAlumni said:
Meh...it’s pretty common knowledge they are a far superior program in the FBS than they were in the FCS.

Montana had to play them, but for all intensive purposes, they were a middle of the pack Big Sky team. From 1982-1993, they did not win a Big Sky conference championship and placed second only one time in that time span. Quite a few 6-5 type seasons

I knew you’d respond.

You wouldn’t know. You never saw them play. Just like you never watched DD...you were what? 2? Maybe 3. Hence your opinion is irrelevant.

I always laugh when some younger people think that the world began at the time they entered college. No historical knowledge. No perspective.

Kind of like Griz fans who think college football began in 1993. For some reason, I never hear about football at UM before that time....probably because the program was extremely mediocre for the first 100 years of existence.

In a World of Dumb Posts by you, this is truly the dumbest, especially by someone who claims he or she is here only because conversation is about the team many of us don’t care about.

Griz fans know about the Camellia Bowl, and those two great teams, know who we played (go ahead - look it up), and know the reason for the scores. Some will argue that the greatest Griz of all time is not The Legend of Fall, but a little known local boy who became a legend, went on to play in the NFL, and then died a tragic early death.

You only know of the streak, but perhaps the greatest stretch was against the Bobcats from 1933-1940, when the Griz won all 8 games by a combined 148-0 (yes, I had to look the scores up). Overall from 1930-1955, the Griz went 20-2 in what is now known as the Brawl of the Wild.

Fans remember Dornblaser, and those hard horrid seats, and the older fans here remember the original Dornblaser Field on campus at the base of the hill. We know that the first great passing qb, was not DD but another that came 8 years before, breaking every passing record up to that time, and that qb MM eventually went in to have a long career in the NFL as an OC.

We know why UCLA is called the Bruins. And we remember playing as a conference member in what is now the PAC-12 conference.

So stick your tail between your legs Buttercup, and go back to mommy, perhaps you can learn a little about humility, respect and maturity - but I doubt it.

I’ll wait for you to respond, you’re easier to troll than large-mouth bass on a crisp fall day.

I suppose one later starting point would be the coming of Coach Read, and the opening of Wash-Griz stadium, in mid-80s. Read was 10-0 against the Bobcats.

ordigger said:
2011BisonAlumni said:
PlayerRep said:
ordigger said:
I knew you’d respond.

You wouldn’t know. You never saw them play. Just like you never watched DD...you were what? 2? Maybe 3. Hence your opinion is irrelevant.

I always laugh when some younger people think that the world began at the time they entered college. No historical knowledge. No perspective.

Kind of like Griz fans who think college football began in 1993. For some reason, I never hear about football at UM before that time....probably because the program was extremely mediocre for the first 100 years of existence.

In a World of Dumb Posts by you, this is truly the dumbest, especially by someone who claims he or she is here only because conversation is about the team many of us don’t care about.

Griz fans know about the Camellia Bowl, and those two great teams, know who we played (go ahead - look it up), and know the reason for the scores. Some will argue that the greatest Griz of all time is not The Legend of Fall, but a little known local boy who became a legend, went on to play in the NFL, and then died a tragic early death.

You only know of the streak, but perhaps the greatest stretch was against the Bobcats from 1933-1940, when the Griz won all 8 games by a combined 148-0 (yes, I had to look the scores up). Overall from 1930-1955, the Griz went 20-2 in what is now known as the Brawl of the Wild.

Fans remember Dornblaser, and those hard horrid seats, and the older fans here remember the original Dornblaser Field on campus at the base of the hill. We know that the first great passing qb, was not DD but another that came 8 years before, breaking every passing record up to that time, and that qb MM eventually went in to have a long career in the NFL as an OC.

We know why UCLA is called the Bruins. And we remember playing as a conference member in what is now the PAC-12 conference.

So stick your tail between your legs Buttercup, and go back to mommy, perhaps you can learn a little about humility, respect and maturity - but I doubt it.

I’ll wait for you to respond, you’re easier to troll than large-mouth bass on a crisp fall day.

My statement wasn’t dumb nor was I being a troll. Other than those two seasons with Camellia Bowl appearances and losses at the hand of the Bison, the Griz were an extremely mediocre football program for nearly 100 years. I understand the PCC impact but even upon leaving that conference, they were very mediocre.

See you guys always like to talk about history and being good for so long, but let’s face if, the Griz did not become somewhat competitive on a consistent basis until the early 1990’s.

2011BisonAlumni said:
ordigger said:
2011BisonAlumni said:
PlayerRep said:

My statement wasn’t dumb nor was I being a troll. Other than those two seasons with Camellia Bowl appearances and losses at the hand of the Bison, the Griz were an extremely mediocre football program for nearly 100 years. I understand the PCC impact but even upon leaving that conference, they were very mediocre.

See you guys always like to talk about history and being good for so long, but let’s face if, the Griz did not become somewhat competitive on a consistent basis until the early 1990’s.

Griz weren't mediocre for a 100 years. Another dumb statement by you.

A national FCS champ hip in first 100 years. To finals again in first 100 years. this also occurred in first 100 years:

"In November 1985, Montana fired coach Larry Donovan and replaced him with Portland State's head coach, Don Read. Over the next 10 years, Montana would go 85-36, have 10 straight winning seasons, and was undefeated against cross-state rival Montana State. Read would win 2 conference titles, make the FCS playoffs 5 times and win Montana's first national championship."

"the Pacific Coast Conference, which by 1924 already included the five public Northwest Conference schools from Washington, Oregon, and Idaho, in addition to California and Stanford. Montana joined the conference in 1924 and remained there through the 1949 season."

In 1937, UM lost only 1 game.

Kem played in the first 100 years. No mediocrity there.

2011BisonAlumni said:

Became instantly competitive in 1986 with the hiring of Don Read and the completion of the new stadium. But one losing season (5-6 2012) since. Semi's in 1989. With BSU, Nevada and Idaho in the conf and NDSU still in DII. No 3-8 like NDSU had as recently as 2009, a year we played for the NC. 34 years of being pretty "good for so long." At least try to keep your facts straight.

2011BisonAlumni said:
ordigger said:
2011BisonAlumni said:
PlayerRep said:

I knew you’d respond, junior.

PlayerRep said:
2011BisonAlumni said:
ordigger said:
2011BisonAlumni said:

A national FCS champ hip in first 100 years. To finals again in first 100 years. this also occurred in first 100 years:

"In November 1985, Montana fired coach Larry Donovan and replaced him with Portland State's head coach, Don Read. Over the next 10 years, Montana would go 85-36, have 10 straight winning seasons, and was undefeated against cross-state rival Montana State. Read would win 2 conference titles, make the FCS playoffs 5 times and win Montana's first national championship."

"the Pacific Coast Conference, which by 1924 already included the five public Northwest Conference schools from Washington, Oregon, and Idaho, in addition to California and Stanford. Montana joined the conference in 1924 and remained there through the 1949 season."

In 1937, they played one conference game, against Idaho.

2011BisonAlumni said:
PlayerRep said:
2011BisonAlumni said:
ordigger said:

In 1937, they played one conference game, against Idaho.

Does that mean the team wasn't 7-1, and didn't beat Texas Tech in Lubbock, and UM running back Popovich wasn't all-Pacific Coast conference?

Is this your definition of mediocre?

When was the last time NDSU beat Texas Tech in Lubbock?

2011BisonAlumni said:
Being a great college QB and having next level skills (which Dave Dickenson didn’t have either BTW) is different.

I guess that depends on what you consider “next level.” Neither DD nor Jensen had much of an NFL career, but DD did win five Grey Cups in about ten years in the CFL. How about Jensen?

Grizlaw said:
2011BisonAlumni said:
Being a great college QB and having next level skills (which Dave Dickenson didn’t have either BTW) is different.

I guess that depends on what you consider “next level.” Neither DD nor Jensen had much of an NFL career, but DD did win five Grey Cups in about ten years in the CFL. How about Jensen?
And is now the best coach in the CFL.

I think Jensen said he was working at a Verizon in St. Paul when they interviewed him during a game recently.

Htowngriz said:
Grizlaw said:
2011BisonAlumni said:

I think Jensen said he was working at a Verizon in St. Paul when they interviewed him during a game recently.
Probably one of those shacks in the middle of the mall.

Htowngriz said:
Grizlaw said:
2011BisonAlumni said:

Can you hear me now?

Htowngriz said:
Grizlaw said:
2011BisonAlumni said:

Brock Jensen tore his labrum, twice, post-college and couldn’t overcome it. It is what it is.

2011BisonAlumni said:
Htowngriz said:
Grizlaw said:
2011BisonAlumni said:

Brock Jensen tore his labrum, twice, post-college and couldn’t overcome it. It is what it is.
For a couple of years Brock Jensen was a top 20 QB in the FCS then he went to NFL training camps where the best minds in football said no sorry Northern Colorado's QB was better. He also tried his luck in Canada and was found wanting. Did he get hurt, sure, it's football. DD overcame several injuries including a knee and a concussion from one of the hardest hits I've ever seen. Dave is now the most well known and probably respected coach in the CFL (a league that Bisonalum disparages but currently has exactly 1 Bison in it, Crockett is a back up running back in Ottawa). They are planning to unthaw Robert Stack so he can come back and host a show on where Brock Jensen is today.

Bisonalumni, your criteria of greatness based on wins and losses in a team game is absurd even for a 35 year old (I'm working on the assumption that if you graduated from NDSU in 2011 you were probably held back 8-10 years in elementary). So Trent Dilfer was a better QB than Dan Marino?

2011BisonAlumni said:
Htowngriz said:
Grizlaw said:
2011BisonAlumni said:

2005 - Drew Brees, last game of the season vs Broncos tore his labrum 360 degrees AND dislocated his shoulder through the bottom joint -AND tore his rotator cuff 50%.

AND the rest is history. Way to make excuses for an average, at best, qb that benefited from a good o-line and a system that worked for him.

MikeyGriz said:
Htowngriz said:
Grizlaw said:
2011BisonAlumni said:

Can you hear me now?

You need the kind of arm only the undsu'ers can develop to really sling those Androids around. Few things suggest "success at the next level" more so than having the honor of donning the red sweater-vest of a Verizon employee.

2011BisonAlumni said:
It is what it is.

So true.

What is: you couldn’t pay me enough to spend more time in Fargo than it takes to drive through. The area is flat, humid, and smells like silage. UM football is about more than a successful team taking the field (which has been pretty consistently true for over three decades). UM football is also about celebrating western Montana in the fall — I can fish Rock Creek in the morning, then catch a great team in Missoula in the afternoon.

That’s the difference, that’s what it is. NDSU will never have what UM has, BlossomAlumni. Never.

2011BisonAlumni said:
Htowngriz said:
Grizlaw said:
2011BisonAlumni said:

Wait, a QB from UNDSU got injured when he had to play more often against good players away from the Fargodome?

Back