• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Possible Trial in lead up to Griz/Cat next year in Missoula...

mthoopsfan said:
wbtfg said:
This reminds me of the Mike Kramer deal. If MSU AD Peter Fields would have kept his mouth shut and just said "we aren't extending the contract" it would have been fine. But he was going around the state saying WHY he was getting rid of Kramer. MSU ended up paying.

The UM one is mainly the deed discrimination and violation of federal law. I'm not aware that Haslam said things publicly, but maybe he did.

I'm just saying haslam saying that transfers is the reason for not renewing the contract is likely the crux of the issue. If Haslam just said "we decided not to renew the contract", I'd imagine the situation would be less sticky.

wbtfg said:
mthoopsfan said:
The UM one is mainly the deed discrimination and violation of federal law. I'm not aware that Haslam said things publicly, but maybe he did.

I'm just saying haslam saying that transfers is the reason for not renewing the contract is likely the crux of the issue. If Haslam just said "we decided not to renew the contract", I'd imagine the situation would be less sticky.

You may be right. Again, don't think Haslam said that publicly, just to her. My reaction is that after saying he would renew her contract, he would owe a good explanation of why he changed his mind. And I agree with what you said on the Kramer matter.

EverettGriz said:
Net result of the entire action: The lawyers get paid handsomely and Schweyen and UM both look terrible during the trial.

oh boy!!

Sure, on the surface. But this will have all been worth it in the end to the guy/gal who writes the book about it. We need every bit of the dirt in detail. Reserve your seat at Barnes & Noble for the book signing today, (boy... doesn't that sound weird to say).

EverettGriz said:
Net result of the entire action: The lawyers get paid handsomely and Schweyen and UM both look terrible during the trial.

oh boy!!

Lawyers who win deserve to get paid. This judge believes it, too.

Stay tuned.

UncleRico said:
Griz til I die said:
Why do you continue to defend her? She’s literally a god awful person and a terrible coach. Anybody who went to a game over her 4 years as coach saw that clear as day. For somebody who sure acts like the AD’s biggest cheerleader it seems odd that you keep trying to defend her!

I am not going to defend her or criticize her as a coach. Not going there. But I think it’s a sad deal that the greatest Lady Griz player ever ended up in this conflict with UM. Hell she might be the most dominant athlete in their sport ever at UM. Just a bad deal all around.

You were right at she was a terrible coach.

Just thinking out loud here, but maybe have a better overall record than 52-69 and she wouldn't have to cry discrimination about not having a contract renewed.

Griz2k said:
Just thinking out loud here, but maybe have a better overall record than 52-69 and she wouldn't have to cry discrimination about not having a contract renewed.

Or, maybe set up non-renewals better, consult with legal counsel and others in advance, and be sure to comply with federal sex discrimination laws.

My expectation would be a settlement prior to trial date. I don’t expect either party wants their dirty laundry aired in public.

mthoopsfan said:
Griz2k said:

Or, maybe set up non-renewals better, consult with legal counsel and others in advance, and be sure to comply with federal the deed discrimination laws.

Maybe, but if she were a better coach we're not having this conversation. She failed, suffered the consequences, and is now crying foul...no pun intended.

mthoopsfan said:
Griz2k said:

Or, maybe set up non-renewals better, consult with legal counsel and others in advance, and be sure to comply with federal the deed discrimination laws.
Yep - I think this was the biggest issue - the reasoning wasn’t handled well and Haslam left the door ajar for this to happen. I think if other reasons are laid out rather than just “transfer issues” - it isn’t as easy for someone to point at the other transfers that happen in other sports and say “those aren’t an issue, so why are the transfers in my sport an issue.?”

wbtfg said:

I am not sure what exactly was said, but my understanding is that it is more about why young ladies were transferring and not that they were transferring.

HelenaHandBasket said:
wbtfg said:

I am not sure what exactly was said, but my understanding is that it is more about why young ladies were transferring and not that they were transferring.

I assume only 2 people know exactly what was said. And, by telling her right after the tourney that he would extend her, I assume that makes what the women had been saying prior to that pretty much irrelevant. It seems Haslam had accepted the past. Then, he changed his mind when something new came up. What exactly was said? Did Haslam know why the 2 new ones were going to the portal? Had he called them or investigated? Or, had he just been informed by the coach that they were going to portal? I have no info other than what I've read in the newspaper.

The University of Montana and former Lady Griz basketball coach Shannon Schweyen have reached a settlement in which Schweyen is to be awarded $350,000 arising from a non-renewal of employment contract.

Glad this has finally ended. Hate so see UM have to pay $350,000 but I imagine a big portion of it is attorney fees. All time great player but a terrible coach and her record bears that out. Interesting in the article read that Petrino and Jamie Pickens vouched for her greatness in the depositions. Well she gave Petrino a job and Pickens was and still is a family friend so what would one expect them to say

Back