• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

No one knows where people are getting infected

PlayerRep said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Cumulative, right? I think the link I posted was current. But, I get what you're saying.

Yup.

I am in Marina del Ray.

Nice. Enjoy yourself. I hope you can find a dining establishment with some heaters outside. I was shivering during lunch outside today because the place below my building ran out of propane.

"In the most recent White House Coronavirus Task Force report to governors this week Montana ranked third worst in the nation for deaths per 100,000 population. North Dakota was worst in the nation, followed by South Dakota." Today's Missoulian.

argh! said:
AZGrizFan said:
I’m not going to have a battle of wits with someone who’s obviously unarmed.

#GoGriz

you aren't going to battle wits with someone on a subject you have no wits about.

Ok, Myron. Good post. Now go finish your oatmeal.

PlayerRep said:
"In the most recent White House Coronavirus Task Force report to governors this week Montana ranked third worst in the nation for deaths per 100,000 population. North Dakota was worst in the nation, followed by South Dakota." Today's Missoulian.
Such small denominators.

kemajic said:
PlayerRep said:
Such small denominators.

Those 2 states each have more deaths than South Korea.

CDAGRIZ said:
Da Boyz Mom said:
Have you never lived in a small town?? I live in a town of 1200 people and we have no local grocery store - only a Family Dollar. No grocery delivery here! This means we need to travel 30 miles to the closest Wal-Mart to get groceries.

Even before the pandemic, we were using their grocery pickup service and while it works fairly well, when there is a large demand things can go quite wrong. Our governor last Friday announced a new public health order starting Monday that would close down all non-essential businesses for two weeks. Over the weekend, people panicked and ran to the stores and cleared the shelves. This caused the pick up order I had already placed for Saturday to be short a number of items that I needed. So that meant that we then had to go into Smith's to try to locate the missing items. While Smith's had the majority of the missing items, they were cleaned out of paper products. That necessitated a trip to our local Family Dollar to get what they had. So the governor's order, which was supposed to keep people at home, meant that we visited 2 stores in person that we had no intention of going into.

Oh, and her new stay at home order resulted in the largest daily number of new cases ever yesterday. Probably because everyone was shoulder to shoulder in the stores all weekend.

I would never say the virus isn't real or that we shouldn't be concerned, (especially for the elderly) but I do not see how the current policies are helping.

Oh, I know small town living more than most. 1,600 pop. born and raised. Have you tried Amazon? I just punched my hometown's zip code into Amazon, and almost all grocery items will be delivered tomorrow, 11/19/20 via prime. There was even a 1000' of TP that would be delivered tomorrow. Maybe check that out.

Amazon Fresh is not available in my area. Regular Amazon prime is now taking 4-5+ days for delivery, and most grocery items are bulk only. I don't really need 24 boxes of stuffing mix for Thanksgiving.

Da Boyz Mom said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Oh, I know small town living more than most. 1,600 pop. born and raised. Have you tried Amazon? I just punched my hometown's zip code into Amazon, and almost all grocery items will be delivered tomorrow, 11/19/20 via prime. There was even a 1000' of TP that would be delivered tomorrow. Maybe check that out.

Amazon Fresh is not available in my area. Regular Amazon prime is now taking 4-5+ days for delivery, and most grocery items are bulk only. I don't really need 24 boxes of stuffing mix for Thanksgiving.

Damn. That sucks. Well, at least we can be assured that you are in the minority when it comes to grocery delivery. If any hypothetical 65+ stay at home order came out, I'm sure you'd be eligible for an exception. Hang in there. Maybe order some non-bulk items when you can? Shitty predicament.

Da Boyz Mom said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Lol. Well, some people don't like what they don't understand. That said, the initial 65+ order was big news here, but I doubt it made any headlines in places that weren't even aware of COVID being an issue back then, so I can understand his confusion.

To clarify to the board, I was just wondering if we be better/worse/same off if we were able to legally order those at risk to stay home. Sure, some would disobey the order, but I'd like to think the majority would abide by it. Heck, you can get nearly anything in the world delivered to your door within like 4 hours. Amazon Fresh is under 2 hours, and your local grocery store is probably even faster. Further, whenever there is a heat wave in the desert or extreme cold wherever, you always hear: "If you are elderly or infirm, stay indoors." Wildfires? "If you have respiratory issues, stay indoors." I know it's not a legal order, but the similarities are there.

I'm guessing we wouldn't have as many hospitalizations and deaths. We might have more asymptomatic/light symptomatic cases. I think the economy, small businesses, employment would have taken less of a hit because those who drive the economy would have been allowed to work/stay open. Who knows?

Have you never lived in a small town?? I live in a town of 1200 people and we have no local grocery store - only a Family Dollar. No grocery delivery here! This means we need to travel 30 miles to the closest Wal-Mart to get groceries.

Even before the pandemic, we were using their grocery pickup service and while it works fairly well, when there is a large demand things can go quite wrong. Our governor last Friday announced a new public health order starting Monday that would close down all non-essential businesses for two weeks. Over the weekend, people panicked and ran to the stores and cleared the shelves. This caused the pick up order I had already placed for Saturday to be short a number of items that I needed. So that meant that we then had to go into Smith's to try to locate the missing items. While Smith's had the majority of the missing items, they were cleaned out of paper products. That necessitated a trip to our local Family Dollar to get what they had. So the governor's order, which was supposed to keep people at home, meant that we visited 2 stores in person that we had no intention of going into.

Oh, and her new stay at home order resulted in the largest daily number of new cases ever yesterday. Probably because everyone was shoulder to shoulder in the stores all weekend.

I would never say the virus isn't real or that we shouldn't be concerned, (especially for the elderly) but I do not see how the current policies are helping.

Politician rule !:Ignore all unintended consequences when you absolutely must DO something.
Rule 2: When they unintended consequences mentioned in 1 are worse than the problem, change the subject (blaming Putin works).
Rule 3: Lather, rinse, repeat.

Hoops watcher said:
Da Boyz Mom said:

Politician rule !:Ignore all unintended consequences when you absolutely must DO something.
Rule 2: When they unintended consequences mentioned in 1 are worse than the problem, change the subject (blaming Putin works).
Rule 3: Lather, rinse, repeat.

Spot ON. Rules made by people who don’t have to abide by them. What a terrific idea.

HelenaHandBasket said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Sure. I think they are something like 15-17% of the workforce. I'm fairly confident that greater than 0% of them could WFH. Maybe it's more like: Many can stay home, some can't. And hey, I think the vast majority are eligible for SS. I think it could be less invasive and less damaging as whole than shutting everything down again.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1122354/covid-19-us-hospital-rate-by-age/

With so many people believing it is fake and not taking precautions, which does include older Americans, what makes you think that they would obey? You are also asking that all people 65 and over isolate themselves from everyone, including family. If the right steps were taken early to get the American mindset onboard with what steps would be necessary, things would be much different now. I believe that the best we can hope for now is an effort to stabilize the spread in the short-term, take pressure off of healthcare, and hold our asses hoping for a speedy delivery of a vaccine. Life over the next 4-6 months isn't going to change much from where we sit today.

German Lopez @germanrlopez
14m
For the first time ever, no state meets even two of three basic benchmarks for getting Covid under control. It's now all zero or one.

just wait for "the world is only 6500 years old" mentality takes over, you ain't seen anything yet.

PlayerRep said:
zootownrox said:
They don't know because contract tracing has been underfunded and ignored by Republicans who apparently want to kill Americans, and now those contract tracers are overwhelmed by the sheer numbers of cases. It is completely out of hand. And your sarcastically dumb reply contains the biggest answer - President "WEAR A MASK!"

Dumbasses like yourself and PlayerRep are the reason we don't have fall football right now.

If you don't settle down, Mouse and I will cancel the spring season too.

You may want to check into the impact that the ncaa's testing and other protocols, and related costs, had on the Big Sky's decision not to play this fall. Talk about a dumbass.

Mouse, don't cancel the spring football season without talking to me. Okay? Thx.

Finally, after many months of comparing the seriousness of the virus to the flu or automobile accident deaths, three or four regular posters on this board are accepting the lethal dangers of the virus.

horribilisfan8184 said:
PlayerRep said:
Those 2 states each have more deaths than South Korea.

Compare obesity rates of the elderly in those states to those in SK and you'll have your answer.

Obesity has zero to do with South Korea's success. https://undark.org/2020/10/05/south-korea-covid-19-success/

For South Korea along with Japan, this isn't their first viral rodeo. They know how to deal with Covid from experience & are winning the battle so far. They took a different route from Japan & placed their focus on contact tracing. Overall, South Korea, a country of roughly 52 million — about six times smaller than the U.S. population — has had more than 300 times fewer cases than the U.S. You can argue that this level of contract tracing is invasion of privacy and some in South Korea do as well, but you can't argue with their results compared to ours. South Korea isn't screwing around with politics or Covid. They have a plan, leadership and results.

Bear Spray said:
horribilisfan8184 said:
Compare obesity rates of the elderly in those states to those in SK and you'll have your answer.

Obesity has zero to do with South Korea's success. https://undark.org/2020/10/05/south-korea-covid-19-success/

For South Korea along with Japan, this isn't their first viral rodeo. They know how to deal with Covid from experience & are winning the battle so far. They took a different route from Japan & placed their focus on contact tracing. Overall, South Korea, a country of roughly 52 million — about six times smaller than the U.S. population — has had more than 300 times fewer cases than the U.S. You can argue that this level of contract tracing is invasion of privacy and some in South Korea do as well, but you can't argue with their results compared to ours. South Korea isn't screwing around with politics or Covid. They have a plan, leadership and results.

It doesn’t hurt that they cut their meat with scissors.

For those who actually pay attention to science, here is a link to a Danish study regarding effectiveness of masks. https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/M20-6817 .

In short, the study found no evidence that masks prevent infection. The authors were careful to note that the study did not identify whether community wide use of masks might reduce transmission, since the study was done when no community wide mask mandates were in place.

The study seems in line with simple anecdotal evidence as well, such as the Missoula community, where a mask mandate has been in place since July, is highly adhered to, yet the rate of transmission has increased dramatically since then.

I'm not an anti masker and always wear one when I'm out and its no big deal to wear one. But it's highly frustrating to hear people talk about how masks are some sort of silver bullet in controlling the spread - they simply are not and they can lead to a false sense of security.

Spanky2 said:
Finally, after many months of comparing the seriousness of the virus to the flu or automobile accident deaths, three or four regular posters on this board are accepting the lethal dangers of the virus.

Remarkable how that happens the closer something gets to their own doorstep. In fact, this was something I predicted would occur (to much ridicule by those very same posters) back in April.

It's like the term "minor surgery". It's only minor to anyone not counting down from 100.

kemajic said:
PlayerRep said:
Such small denominators.

they are small until you or someone you love is one of them.

Back