• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

No one knows where people are getting infected

garizzalies said:
ilovethecats said:
Literally have no idea what you are trying to say here. Are you saying you work in the medical field but the science is flawed? :?

I was wrong about what? I asked about the death rate. PR said early indicators are that more people died this year than the previous years. So I asked what that did to the death RATES from year to year. If you have this info I'd love to see it. I can't seem to find any credible source.

It should be easy if we can track down the numbers. 2020 death RATE. 2019 death RATE. 2018 death RATE. 2017 death RATE. 2016 death RATE. I think these numbers (RATES) would give a clear picture on just how much more terrible 2020 was than previous years. I just can't find the data. If that makes me stupid, so be it. And you're clearly very smart, especially in this matter, so I assume you have this information.

Thanks in advance!
Yeah I’ll get right on that—let me do the research for you to support your crazy conspiracy theories. :roll:

Jeebus, man. Even Cuervo has pumped the breaks this week, but not you.

And meanwhile you keep dodging my questions. Why is that?

What’s the point of your mask rant? What are you trying to prove? You can’t even explain that.

You were “wondering why masks are so important [because] it's not really about just saving lives.” And I asked you to explain what you meant. What do you think it’s really about? But you keep skipping that. Wonder why?
Oh you don't have to do research for me. I was just asking if you knew. I haven't been able to find the data that seems legit and you seem to know a ton about the topic so I thought I'd ask? I think that data is important, but the numbers seem wishy-washy and agenda driven.

I have crazy conspiracy theories? What pray tell would those be? I've said over and over that I believe masks work. I just don't see them as the end all be all. Not saying you do...

In regards to me not believing the steps we are taking are just about saving lives I thought I already covered that. If the sole purpose of every decision that has been made is about saving lives, I feel like we'd be doing things much differently is all. Things like wearing a mask into a restaurant, but them taking them off while at a table of 6-8 people don't scream to me that we're trying to save lives. Closing small businesses while big box stores have been packed with people every day since the pandemic doesn't tell me it's all about saving lives. There are many examples but this is just simple things to me that I feel could be done differently if we were really trying our hardest to stop this thing. I don't feel like that is some crazy conspiracy.

I never asked why masks are so important. I asked why masks are so important in saving lives this year, but not important at all any other time, despite the fact that they would save lives. That seems like a pretty straight forward question, and doesn't really seem like a weird conspiracy to me but hey, to each their own.

It's been a terrible year for a lot of people. Some directly covid related, for many others indirectly covid related. People losing their homes and businesses. Education going in the pooper. We'll be set back for several years I think. When the data comes out, maybe we'll learn that it was all worth it. I'm just one that is still on the fence wondering if we did more harm than good trying to fight this thing. Again, that may be a wild conspiracy to you, but for me it's just questions I look forward to being answered. It'll probably be a while though.

ilovethecats said:
garizzalies said:
Yeah I’ll get right on that—let me do the research for you to support your crazy conspiracy theories. :roll:

Jeebus, man. Even Cuervo has pumped the breaks this week, but not you.

And meanwhile you keep dodging my questions. Why is that?

What’s the point of your mask rant? What are you trying to prove? You can’t even explain that.

You were “wondering why masks are so important [because] it's not really about just saving lives.” And I asked you to explain what you meant. What do you think it’s really about? But you keep skipping that. Wonder why?
Oh you don't have to do research for me. I was just asking if you knew. I haven't been able to find the data that seems legit and you seem to know a ton about the topic so I thought I'd ask? I think that data is important, but the numbers seem wishy-washy and agenda driven.

I have crazy conspiracy theories? What pray tell would those be? I've said over and over that I believe masks work. I just don't see them as the end all be all. Not saying you do...

In regards to me not believing the steps we are taking are just about saving lives I thought I already covered that. If the sole purpose of every decision that has been made is about saving lives, I feel like we'd be doing things much differently is all. Things like wearing a mask into a restaurant, but them taking them off while at a table of 6-8 people don't scream to me that we're trying to save lives. Closing small businesses while big box stores have been packed with people every day since the pandemic doesn't tell me it's all about saving lives. There are many examples but this is just simple things to me that I feel could be done differently if we were really trying our hardest to stop this thing. I don't feel like that is some crazy conspiracy.

I never asked why masks are so important. I asked why masks are so important in saving lives this year, but not important at all any other time, despite the fact that they would save lives. That seems like a pretty straight forward question, and doesn't really seem like a weird conspiracy to me but hey, to each their own.

It's been a terrible year for a lot of people. Some directly covid related, for many others indirectly covid related. People losing their homes and businesses. Education going in the pooper. We'll be set back for several years I think. When the data comes out, maybe we'll learn that it was all worth it. I'm just one that is still on the fence wondering if we did more harm than good trying to fight this thing. Again, that may be a wild conspiracy to you, but for me it's just questions I look forward to being answered. It'll probably be a while though.

Listen here, ILTC aka Suckacat: You're one of the good ones. Everyone would do well to know that.
I understand the point you're making, and I don't have a good answer. I don't think anyone does.
Maybe the masks saved more lives this year than they did in other years? IDK. When the mandates went into place here in early March, I think a lot of people thought catching COVID was almost a death sentence (or at least a hospitalization sentence). In a normal year, we don't think of other viruses (flu) being this severe.

It's admittedly morbid to say, but if I could attempt to answer your question, I'd say that mask attitudes (maskitudes) are related to the raw number of lives people believe they are saving. Put another way, we've had flus every year, so we kind of know how deadly it is in any given year. We didn't know jack shit about COVID, so maybe that's the difference. That's the best I can do to try to answer your question sincerely. You fuckin Suckacat.

PlayerRep said:
TrueGriz said:
Not sure why anybody would be abandoning ship with only 2 weeks remaining.

Mitch Mcconnell's Wife, Elaine Chao, who is the transportation secretary, is abandoning ship and resigning. Around 4 senators are now pleading with others not to abandon ship. Stay Tuned.

They are trying to save a bit of their reputations. Also:

Mick Mulvaney, Stephanie Grisham, Matt Pottinger, Sarah Mathews, Riki Niceta, Ryan Tully, Tyler Goodspeed, John Costello,

we need some people to stay, especially military and diplomatic people, in order to reassure our allies that we aren't going to disappear for the next two weeks, especially if a dictatorship like the ccp decides it is a good time to pull a last minute stunt, i.e. do something to taiwan. according to the south china morning post, pompeo discussed the 25th amendment with other cabinet members, but decided it would be too slow. he was also talked into staying to reassure allies (or so the article i read reported).

ilovethecats said:
argh! said:
you aren't like the team you support at all. you don't give up easily, even when it is clear you've lost.

:lol:

That's funny for a couple reasons. First, I have never in my life see a griz team like they did in Bozeman last fall. So I literally laughed out loud.

Second, how did I lose? Because I'm asking questions? Or I guess on the flip-side, how did you "win"? I think we're ALL losers in this.

Argh you seem to be very knowledgeable on this subject. Are you able to find the death rates for 2020 and the previous, say, 5 years or so? I've been unable to track them down and was curious if someone more in the know than myself was able to find them. I assume the rate of death in 2020 skyrockets the previous years but I just can't find any legitimate sources other than social media crap you can never trust.

flu death rates, or overall death rates? pubmed, which is run by the nih, might have something. regardless, here is a 'fact check' by reuters of a graph apparently being quoted. some info in the second to last paragraph saying mortality rates were up 20% earlier in the year: https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-factcheck-chart-us-death-figures-2020-idUSKBN2872MV

Suckacat, I’m sorry, I was wrong and made a terrible mistake, and I have to apologize for embarrassing you.

Earlier, I posted a “witty” meme because I know you love those so much. It depicted Daffy Duck with an incredulous face of defeat, much like the look you have in this thread. It should have been a cat (can’t think of his name right now, maybe Sylvester?). It later dawned on me that the cat was the one who used to always say “Suffering Suckacats” and not the duck. Sorry. I think I got confused because both cartoon characters seem to have a slobbering lisp. My bad please forgive me and please accept my sincerest condolences.

Suckacats said:
...the numbers seem wishy-washy and agenda driven.

I have crazy conspiracy theories?

:clap: I love how these two comments came out of the same breath like it ain’t no thang
You are amazing. Seriously, you’re really good at this. And smart

[I asked my friends at USA Today to do a fact check on this subject. Ha. Here's their Jan. 8, 2021 article. It appears the Cat fan needs to stop reading incorrect info. This article seems to say that death rates in 2020 were roughly as expected, except for a huge new category for covid and increases in drug overdoses and suicides.]

"The Facebook post says there were 2,854,838 deaths in 2019, which is accurate according to the CDC's final 2019 mortality report.

However, the post's claim about the number of deaths in 2020 is not accurate.

According to the latest update from the CDC's provisional death counts, there were at least 3.2 million U.S. deaths in 2020. These numbers will continue to change before they become final, as new or updated death certificate data is added when it is available.

Additionally, in October the CDC released a report saying there had been an estimated 299,028 excess deaths in 2020 from late January through Oct. 3 — with 66% of those attributed to the coronavirus.

Excess deaths are defined as "the difference between the observed numbers of deaths in specific time periods and expected numbers of deaths in the same time periods."

While the final mortality reports for 2020 are not yet available, preliminary numbers show that 2020 is on track to become the deadliest year in U.S. history, with deaths exceeding 3 million, undoubtedly influenced by the coronavirus pandemic.

Deaths caused by the virus itself are not the sole cause of the year's increase, as the country has also seen more suicides and drug overdoses, in part because of the pandemic."

https://news.yahoo.com/fact-check-us-saw-more-204912762.html

argh! said:
ilovethecats said:
:lol:

That's funny for a couple reasons. First, I have never in my life see a griz team like they did in Bozeman last fall. So I literally laughed out loud.

Second, how did I lose? Because I'm asking questions? Or I guess on the flip-side, how did you "win"? I think we're ALL losers in this.

Argh you seem to be very knowledgeable on this subject. Are you able to find the death rates for 2020 and the previous, say, 5 years or so? I've been unable to track them down and was curious if someone more in the know than myself was able to find them. I assume the rate of death in 2020 skyrockets the previous years but I just can't find any legitimate sources other than social media crap you can never trust.

flu death rates, or overall death rates? pubmed, which is run by the nih, might have something. regardless, here is a 'fact check' by reuters of a graph apparently being quoted. some info in the second to last paragraph saying mortality rates were up 20% earlier in the year: https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-factcheck-chart-us-death-figures-2020-idUSKBN2872MV
Appreciate that!

garizzalies said:
Suckacats said:
...the numbers seem wishy-washy and agenda driven.

I have crazy conspiracy theories?

:clap: I love how these two comments came out of the same breath like it ain’t no thang
You are amazing. Seriously, you’re really good at this. And smart
Why?

What are my crazy conspiracy theories?

The only data I’ve seen on death rates year to year is on social media like Facebook and Twitter. I take that “data” with a grain of salt because the numbers seem agenda-driven to me.

You seem passionate about this but I’m having a hard time following your logic if there is any?

PlayerRep said:
[I asked my friends at USA Today to do a fact check on this subject. Ha. Here's their Jan. 8, 2021 article. It appears the Cat fan needs to stop reading incorrect info. This article seems to say that death rates in 2020 were roughly as expected, except for a huge new category for covid and increases in drug overdoses and suicides.]

"The Facebook post says there were 2,854,838 deaths in 2019, which is accurate according to the CDC's final 2019 mortality report.

However, the post's claim about the number of deaths in 2020 is not accurate.

According to the latest update from the CDC's provisional death counts, there were at least 3.2 million U.S. deaths in 2020. These numbers will continue to change before they become final, as new or updated death certificate data is added when it is available.

Additionally, in October the CDC released a report saying there had been an estimated 299,028 excess deaths in 2020 from late January through Oct. 3 — with 66% of those attributed to the coronavirus.

Excess deaths are defined as "the difference between the observed numbers of deaths in specific time periods and expected numbers of deaths in the same time periods."

While the final mortality reports for 2020 are not yet available, preliminary numbers show that 2020 is on track to become the deadliest year in U.S. history, with deaths exceeding 3 million, undoubtedly influenced by the coronavirus pandemic.

Deaths caused by the virus itself are not the sole cause of the year's increase, as the country has also seen more suicides and drug overdoses, in part because of the pandemic."

https://news.yahoo.com/fact-check-us-saw-more-204912762.html
Thanks!

PlayerRep said:
While I don't support the "taking over" of the capitol or any destruction or violence today (looks like there wasn't much) by Trump protestors, believe Trump has been wrong, stupid, and an idiot since the election (and before, to some extent), and believe some Repubs are going a bit too far, does it seem that CNN types are being a big overdramatic? Is this really their idea of a "coup", i.e. the protests and whatever some Repubs were planing to do with the electoral vote formalities today? If this is their idea of a coup, perhaps some lessons should be taken by people who have done coups in places in South America and elsewhere.

Also, compare the protests today in DC to Black Lives Matters things that occurred virtually every day/night in Portland, and elsewhere. And on Capitol Hill in Seattle. Those protests were much worse and more destructive and violent. Didn't notice CNN jumping all over them.

old subject, but i saw this from the st. louis dispatch editorial board. i think they have a point: https://www.stltoday.com/opinion/editorial/editorial-why-the-kid-glove-police-response-to-deadly-capitol-hill-insurrectionists/article_4a0fc846-47f1-58b4-9c62-609f04b3b9d6.html#tracking-source=article-related-bottom

PlayerRep said:
argh! said:
i don't watch cnn, so i can't really comment on their coverage of blm, but will take your word for it. they have become the left's fox news, maybe even worse at times. as for cops, i developed the habit of keeping my distance from them, too. also met some good cops, and some bad cops, including lazy ones. having said all that, i do think what just happened deserves a lot of coverage, a lot of scrutiny. it's our capitol building, and the rioters were disrupting the certification of a national election for our next president. i don't know how many really got in the capitol building, but they broke into offices, and apparently trashed some. the figure i saw was 52 arrests, and the head dc cop said they were mostly for curfew violations. more to my attempted point, they met very little resistance from the cops, and they were invading the capitol building of our nation, and trying to stop the certification of an election for president. some were armed. i think that is a big deal, the capitol building, which was full of people, including the second and third people who would become president if trump was removed or whatever. trump, the president of the country, clearly incited the action. i think it deserves a lot of attention, which it received, all around the world. the ccp is making hay out of what happened, and i suspect other brutal dictatorships are, as well. again, i see the point you are making, but don't think the example fits. i think you know where i'm coming from with my disagreement, so i'll not drag out the disagreement any more.

"D.C. police say at least 80 people arrested for 'felony riots,' trying to ID more suspects"

"Investigators say they have captured additional surveillance video footage of further suspects they are hoping to identify and arrest as well."

Anyone who is able to help identify suspects shown in the videos is eligible for a reward of up to $1,000 if they provide information leading to the arrest and indictment of the persons involved, according to the police department.

https://wjla.com/news/local/dc-police-say-at-least-80-people-arrested-for-felony-riots-trying-to-id-more-suspects

"69 arrested, 4 dead, 50 DC police officers injured amid pro-Trump riots at the U.S. Capitol"

"Four of those arrested Wednesday were charged with carrying a pistol without a license, possession of a large capacity ammunition feeding device, possession of unregistered ammunition, according to DC Police."

"Forty-seven were arrested because of disobeying the curfew put in place by DC's Mayor Bowser from 6 p.m. on Wednesday until 6 a.m. on Thursday."

"One person was arrested for possession of a prohibited weapon, which earlier Wednesday was described by DC Police as "illegal fireworks."

"Of the 69 people arrested by DC Police, 26 of them were arrested at the US Capitol Building."

"39 yr old Joshua Pruitt (DC) charged w/felony for inciting riot"

https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/local/dc/trump-rally-arrest-numbers-from-washington-dc-police-officials-released/65-a66ab770-6289-4b1c-9c43-7efbb09fe8b1

[I read that capitol police opted to just get most of the people out of the capitol building and not try to arrest them. Police has a lot of surveillance video and plan to look through it to make additional arrests. I don't think there was anything burned, nor was there looting of any nearby stores, except for one burglary. Don't know what may have been done in the capitol or legislative offices.]

One of the huge problems was that the Capitol Police were very unprepared. Only 500 officers on duty. They were overwhelmed, and many had to help protect and evacuate Congress.

Internet sleuths are helping the FBI identify people, there is lots of video, and I read that the Capitol has facial recognition technology.

There was more in-building damage and looting than was initially known. Overall, this "event" was clearly a big deal, for multiple reasons. As I had said, this was not a coup, and multiple news people and sources were exaggerating there. See NY Times article: "But the violent, anti-democratic attack on the Capitol doesn’t fit the technical definition of a coup even though the president incited and encouraged it."

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/07/world/americas/what-is-a-coup-attempt.html

Again, I was worried that the violence, from this or any similar event, might be worse. I see that there are now some plans for Inauguration Day. At least, Capitol and DC police will be more prepared.

This is being called an insurrection and some people are being charged with that. I haven't looked up the legal definition.

So, while I still think the CNN's of the world were a bit dramatic and the coverage was more than more violent BLM-type riot, the event was a bigger and more violent deal than I realized at the time.

I note that the press is not calling for the head/name of the police offer who killed the woman, as surely would be in the case in a BLM-type. Guess a Trump supporter military veteran doesn't matter as much to CNN.

I see that Lindsay Graham and others had to persuade Trump to say that there would be an orderly transition.

argh! said:
PlayerRep said:
While I don't support the "taking over" of the capitol or any destruction or violence today (looks like there wasn't much) by Trump protestors, believe Trump has been wrong, stupid, and an idiot since the election (and before, to some extent), and believe some Repubs are going a bit too far, does it seem that CNN types are being a big overdramatic? Is this really their idea of a "coup", i.e. the protests and whatever some Repubs were planing to do with the electoral vote formalities today? If this is their idea of a coup, perhaps some lessons should be taken by people who have done coups in places in South America and elsewhere.

Also, compare the protests today in DC to Black Lives Matters things that occurred virtually every day/night in Portland, and elsewhere. And on Capitol Hill in Seattle. Those protests were much worse and more destructive and violent. Didn't notice CNN jumping all over them.

old subject, but i saw this from the st. louis dispatch editorial board. i think they have a point: https://www.stltoday.com/opinion/editorial/editorial-why-the-kid-glove-police-response-to-deadly-capitol-hill-insurrectionists/article_4a0fc846-47f1-58b4-9c62-609f04b3b9d6.html#tracking-source=article-related-bottom

I understand the criticism and contrast. However, one of the reasons was that the police were not prepared, didn't have enough people, and had more important duties to protect Congress and Pence. My view is that police clubbing people would have escalated the situation too much, and caused more problems and injuries for the police and mob. Also, I don't recall many, if any, BLM protecters, let alone a women, being shot in the head and killed. In the one photo in the linked article, this doesn't look like a huge and dangerous confrontation, to me. I think the FBI are trying to track down one or more of the people in that photo.

PlayerRep said:
argh! said:

I understand the criticism and contrast. However, one of the reasons was that the police were not prepared, didn't have enough people, and had more important duties to protect Congress and Pence. My view is that police clubbing people would have escalated the situation too much, and caused more problems and injuries for the police and mob. Also, I don't recall many, if any, BLM protecters, let alone a women, being shot in the head and killed. In the one photo in the linked article, this doesn't look like a huge and dangerous confrontation, to me. I think the FBI are trying to track down one or more of the people in that photo.

the article itself points out the three blm supporters shot by that idiot kid. i'll post a wikipedia link that says 19 were killed in george floyd protests at the end of this, but before that say i agree with you, some actions by cops will make things worse. don't know why they weren't better prepared with tear gas and pepper spray, which i think are safer deterrents. using those the moment they tried to break through the barriers might have helped some. here's the link, make of it what you will https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violence_and_controversies_during_the_George_Floyd_protests#:~:text=According%20to%20Forbes%2C%20as%20of,people%20died%20during%20the%20protests.

argh! said:
PlayerRep said:

the article itself points out the three blm supporters shot by that idiot kid. i'll post a wikipedia link that says 19 were killed in george floyd protests at the end of this, but before that say i agree with you, some actions by cops will make things worse. don't know why they weren't better prepared with tear gas and pepper spray, which i think are safer deterrents. using those the moment they tried to break through the barriers might have helped some. here's the link, make of it what you will https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violence_and_controversies_during_the_George_Floyd_protests#:~:text=According%20to%20Forbes%2C%20as%20of,people%20died%20during%20the%20protests.

I was talking about protesters shot and killed by the police. My question, not for you, is why does CNN not seem to care much that the Trump woman was shot in the neck and killed? If any Floyd protestors were killed by police, pls call to our attention.

PlayerRep said:
argh! said:

I was talking about protesters shot and killed by the police. My question, not for you, is why does CNN not seem to care much that the Trump woman was shot in the neck and killed? If any Floyd protestors were killed by police, pls call to our attention.

What metric are you trying to use in your argument against cnn, can you cite something that shows what cnn cares more about versus this only 2 days of news cycle? The Floyd murder was seen by the world in real time. I don’t think cnn hawking it has anything to do with the outrage it caused, do you? The killing of the woman by police was not what caused the riot, it was in full swing when she was killed. It happened outside the speakers lobby which I guess is a higher security area then say the rotunda or even the house floor which I would think had something to do with the cop deciding he needed to fire his weapon at a women climbing through a broken door in front of a mob. Awful that it happened but then I don’t know what the rules of engagement or force are for either secret service or capital hill police when protecting vp or members of Congress, do you? You don’t agree that BLM protests are put down with more excessive force compared to what we have seen so far on the cell phone video from the capital? The overall restraint of the police was incredible in my opinion. Wonder if that would work at the next BLM party?

Ps. This is for argh! Do remember when the leader of the free world went off shift with threats on trade to xi when the Hong Kong protests were brutally put down by the ccp? I don’t either. We appreciate you, we love you, now go home what a great line to end the next riot. Could the mrs translate that into mandarin for xi. Lol

Jesse said:
PlayerRep said:

What metric are you trying to use in your argument against cnn, can you cite something that shows what cnn cares more about versus this only 2 days of news cycle? The Floyd murder was seen by the world in real time. I don’t think cnn hawking it has anything to do with the outrage it caused, do you? The killing of the woman by police was not what caused the riot, it was in full swing when she was killed. It happened outside the speakers lobby which I guess is a higher security area then say the rotunda or even the house floor which I would think had something to do with the cop deciding he needed to fire his weapon at a women climbing through a broken door in front of a mob. Awful that it happened but then I don’t know what the rules of engagement or force are for either secret service or capital hill police when protecting vp or members of Congress, do you? You don’t agree that BLM protests are put down with more excessive force compared to what we have seen so far on the cell phone video from the capital? The overall restraint of the police was incredible in my opinion. Wonder if that would work at the next BLM party?

Ps. This is for argh! Do remember when the leader of the free world went off shift with threats on trade to xi when the Hong Kong protests were brutally put down by the ccp? I don’t either. We appreciate you, we love you, now go home what a great line to end the next riot. Could the mrs translate that into mandarin for xi. Lol

I was talking about the recent "event", not anything else. Do you think it was a "coup" attempt? That's shaggy multiple people on CNN said? Are you saying it was okay for the capitol police to kill the woman? How many BLM protestors were shot and killed by police, in the 100's or thousands of BLM protests? Again, I'm talking about CNN's coverage, not comparing Trump and BLM protests?

Tell us what you think the capital police should have done at the capitol. Please be specific.

Can't wait to see how tough Biden is on China.

Back