• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

New CB D'Angelo Gunter (BYU Transfer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
AZGrizFan said:
grizfan1984 said:
AZGrizFan said:
grizfan1984 said:
It was on Instagram stories so it was posted yesterday the first question is from i don't know when but the 2nd question is from July 2.

11 days is a lifetime. He was announced here 7/13.

Yes agree with that but coming in as a walk on he would have to be accepted into school here and get everything together which I think is going to take longer than 11 days.

IF this kid goes all Kessman on us I will NEVER believe a transfer is coming from BYU EVER again :lol:

Kessman actually showed.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/missou...d83-a48c-77d820f56efc.amp.html#ampf=undefined

Not making any representations as to what, but he showed.

bgbigdog said:
AZGrizFan said:
grizfan1984 said:
AZGrizFan said:

Yes agree with that but coming in as a walk on he would have to be accepted into school here and get everything together which I think is going to take longer than 11 days.

IF this kid goes all Kessman on us I will NEVER believe a transfer is coming from BYU EVER again :lol:

Kessman actually showed.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/missou...d83-a48c-77d820f56efc.amp.html#ampf=undefined

Ha! Thanks. I did NOT know that.... :geek:

AZGrizFan said:
bgbigdog said:
AZGrizFan said:
grizfan1984 said:

Kessman actually showed.

So what happened to him after that?

grizfan1984 said:
HookedonGriz said:
kemajic said:
grizfan1984 said:
Not sure why he is listed on the roster, if social media is correct he has decided not to leave BYU. Looks as though we may have jumped the gun again.
They were very careful with the udate of the roster, so I would think he is on there for a reason. Of course social media has never been incorrect.

Correct. Usually if they are on the roster (which he is) it’s pretty legit. Cause the Griz take forever on that stuff.

Words straight from Instagram: How is BYU? I love it #gocougs, you still looking to transfer? Nah I love it here. Seems pretty legit he is staying at BYU?

I saw that same Facebook post on the Griz den. We don't know dates, we don't know context, and we don't know who was asking the question or the meaning around it. I'm going by the fact he is not on the BYU roster anymore, he is on the Griz roster, and he played with Robby in HS so he's a known commodity. I'm pretty sure he's a Griz.

RayWill said:
AZGrizFan said:
bgbigdog said:
AZGrizFan said:

Kessman actually showed.

So what happened to him after that?

I’m told he was sent to Butte for coffee one day & never made it back.

AZGrizFan said:
grizfan1984 said:
AZGrizFan said:
grizfan1984 said:
It was on Instagram stories so it was posted yesterday the first question is from i don't know when but the 2nd question is from July 2.

If another Drew Miller comes along, I don't want to miss him.

kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:
grizfan1984 said:
AZGrizFan said:

If another Drew Miller comes along, I don't want to miss him.

:lol: True. :oops:

So real question. Was Kessman a real person? If so, what really was his story? Is he kind of like Killroy was here?

This probably deserves it's own thread, but here is a brief summary of the legend that is Ryan Kessman:

Kessman was an extremely shifty 3-star receiver/running back prospect out of high school. He committed to BYU as a receiver. His tape was exceptional to watch and worthy of the rating over ten years ago at a time when 3-star prospects were hard to find (unlike today with many additional recruiting sites, the growth of social media and overall grade inflation). He reportedly got in trouble with BYU's honor code for drinking coffee and he didn't like the early curfews so he decided to transfer to Montana. His much-hyped transfer to UM was delayed by a fabled snowstorm and transmission issues which were communicated to Griz fans waiting on bated breath by a family friend named Dallas. Once Kessman finally arrived in the spring of 2008 he was moved to running back to take advantage of his former elusiveness. He was visibly overweight and no where near his reported 6 foot frame. He was too soft and he ultimately showed little of his high school glory day's abilities. He eventually left school after becoming UM's greatest ever hyped transfer without so much as making a tiny splash. Based on pre-hype alone, Kessman's failure was akin to another legendary Montana player named Ryan (Leaf) that went on to become one of the all-time biggest NFL draft busts. This is the legend of Ryan Kessman that still lives on...

go96griz said:
This probably deserves it's own thread, but here is a brief summary of the legend that is Ryan Kessman:

Kessman was an extremely shifty 3-star receiver/running back prospect out of high school. He committed to BYU as a receiver. His tape was exceptional to watch and worthy of the rating over ten years ago at a time when 3-star prospects were hard to find (unlike today with many additional recruiting sites, the growth of social media and overall grade inflation). He reportedly got in trouble with BYU's honor code for drinking coffee and he didn't like the early curfews so he decided to transfer to Montana. His much-hyped transfer to UM was delayed by a fabled snowstorm and transmission issues which were communicated to Griz fans waiting on bated breath by a family friend named Dallas. Once Kessman finally arrived in the spring of 2008 he was moved to running back to take advantage of his former elusiveness. He was visibly overweight and no where near his reported 6 foot frame. He was too soft and he ultimately showed little of his high school glory day's abilities. He eventually left school after becoming UM's greatest ever hyped transfer without so much as making a tiny splash. Based on pre-hype alone, Kessman's failure was akin to another legendary Montana player named Ryan (Leaf) that went on to become one of the all-time biggest NFL draft busts. This is the legend of Ryan Kessman that still lives on...

Thank you!!

go96griz said:

Aaaahhhhh....the good ol days. I think people have calmed down about transfers, but I remember guys like Kessman, Tab Perry, Ronnie Rodamer, Tate Forcier were all going to be all world saviors.

Most other programs have similar stories, especially in the pre-twitter days....

wbtfg said:
go96griz said:

Aaaahhhhh....the good ol days. I think people have calmed down about transfers, but I remember guys like Kessman, Tab Perry, Ronnie Rodamer, Tate Forcier were all going to be all world saviors.

Most other programs have similar stories, especially in the pre-twitter days....

For all the Kessmans, Forcier’s & Rodamer’s that come & go, there are the Miller’s, Och’s, Quinn’s, Jones’s, & Roberts’s (among many) who were outstanding additions to their teams & contributed to the successes enjoyed by those teams.

No doubt it’s a roll of the dice, but no more so than recruiting the HS kids.

AZGrizFan said:
Seriously had no idea he'd actually MADE it to Missoula....
Seriously, I had no idea either. Definitely an instance where lore and hype exceeded reality.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

bgbigdog said:
wbtfg said:
go96griz said:

For all the Kessmans, Forcier’s & Rodamer’s that come & go, there are the Miller’s, Och’s, Quinn’s, Jones’s, & Roberts’s (among many) who were outstanding additions to their teams & contributed to the successes enjoyed by those teams.

No doubt it’s a roll of the dice, but no more so than recruiting the HS kids.

...not to mention the Haucks, Douglasses, and Vans (just to mention three of the stars who contributed in a big way for the Griz and later played some form of pro football).

Every kid is a crap-shoot, regardless of whether or not he's a transfer. Some become stars, most don't. Everyone can't be Dave Dickenson. It's what makes him Dave Dickenson, and the rest of the world...not. ;)

bgbigdog said:
AZGrizFan said:
grizfan1984 said:
AZGrizFan said:

Kessman actually showed.

A gem from that article:

“Favorite pro team: It was the Falcons because of Michael Vick. Me having a pit bull, I'm kind of against them now. I still like the Falcons, though. But it's tough, walking my dog with a Vick jersey on.”

Question: did you read that to mean he was wearing the Vick jersey, or his dog?

garizzalies said:
bgbigdog said:
AZGrizFan said:
grizfan1984 said:

Kessman actually showed.

A gem from that article:

“Favorite pro team: It was the Falcons because of Michael Vick. Me having a pit bull, I'm kind of against them now. I still like the Falcons, though. But it's tough, walking my dog with a Vick jersey on.”

Question: did you read that to mean he was wearing the Vick jersey, or his dog?

Let's eat Grandma.

or

Let's eat, Grandma.

Who says punctuation isn't important?

I get back from a weekend trip away from technology, and this is what I see....my GOD I hope he comes to UM. This addition along with the more recent QBs gives me much more hope for this team. As the official Big Sky Conference weekend starts, and fall camp is mere weeks away, my eternal summer Griz optimism is now in full swing. If this CB is here for sure, I wont be able to hide my hope for this 2018 season, let alone the 2019 season.

The pieces have been put back to place for this season, now we can only hope the team gels and plays to their potential. Count me excited!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back