• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

New CB D'Angelo Gunter (BYU Transfer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
horribilisfan8184 said:
Ringneck said:
hilinegrizfan said:
Ringneck said:
Maybe. Why, what grade are you in?
so by your logice caleb hill should have started QB all last year because he was a junior and gresch was a freshman. dude you should be the coach you are a genious

No, by my logic it's unfair to criticize Stitt for winning with "Delaney's guys" for a couple of years because, transfers notwithstanding, all of "Stitt's guys" his first two years coaching were underclassmen. And no, age (or "grade" as you put it) obviously doesn't automatically determine talent level, but even casual fans know that most college football starters are upperclassmen, for obvious reasons. And if we started a lot of freshmen the last couple of years that is either an indication that "Delaney's guys," who were by that time upperclassmen, were not very talented or that "Stitt's guys" were a helluva lot more talented than people give him or them credit for.

So by your standards, if Bobby is successful this year, it doesn't really count for him because he's got "Stitt's guys," right?

Bobby wasn't forced to keep the candidate he beat out for the job on as his DC. He won't have a coordinator competing for player loyalty. He's sent those players who couldn't buy in packing before fall camp. His offense and defense will be simpler so less player mistakes. He will accomplish better clock control which will keep players fresher. He knows how and when to fire up his team, and will have them believing they can win every game. He has a respectable if not better than average o-line. He has coaches who can figure out the other teams' schemes and adjust. He has HIS QB to start the season. We will have dominant special teams this year. In short, he has Stitt buried in just about every tangible and intangible category so I have much higher expectations for this team's success this year than most on here. I see the Griz beating MSU by 20 or more to not just get into the playoffs but secure a bye first round. If you don't see how SDSU's success the last few years is in a large part due to Bobby coming of age at that level, then you never played the game. Every year lately the BSC has a surprise team rise to the top and this year that is the Griz.

These are all great points, and you're right - I never played the game.

Ringneck said:
hilinegrizfan said:
Ringneck said:
hilinegrizfan said:
so by your logice caleb hill should have started QB all last year because he was a junior and gresch was a freshman. dude you should be the coach you are a genious

No, by my logic it's unfair to criticize Stitt for winning with "Delaney's guys" for a couple of years because, transfers notwithstanding, all of "Stitt's guys" his first two years coaching were underclassmen. And no, age (or "grade" as you put it) obviously doesn't automatically determine talent level, but even casual fans know that most college football starters are upperclassmen, for obvious reasons. And if we started a lot of freshmen the last couple of years that is either an indication that "Delaney's guys," who were by that time upperclassmen, were not very talented or that "Stitt's guys" were a helluva lot more talented than people give him or them credit for.

So by your standards, if Bobby is successful this year, it doesn't really count for him because he's got "Stitt's guys," right?

i never said it didn't count for stitt. just said he did his best with delaney's guys. but you seem to be in love with him, or some kind of odd infatuation. let it go man, hes gone.

I liked Bob and would've liked to see him given another year to try to right the ship, but I understand why he was sent packing. I'm over that, and I hope Hauck can get us back on top. But what I'm tired of seeing is how the Hauck-or-bust crowd seems to be continually redefining the measure of "success" to provide some sort of bubble-wrap for Bobby in case he turns out not to be the savior after all. It's like they're saying, "We know Bobby will return us to dominance, but if he doesn't here's all the reasons why he couldn't: ___________." As I said above, he's either a great coach or he's not. And if he is, he'll prove it this year.

Stitt is happy now, and will do fine. I just bought a truck from a former member of the OSU staff, and he told me that Stitt is expected to become the Offensive Coordinator, as soon as Mike Yurcich moves on. The assumption is this is Yurcich’s last year with OSU.

Ursa Major said:
mcg said:
Why wasn't Mr. Gunter offered a scholarship? I wonder if that was the basis for his U-turn.

Good question!

Stop trying to get this thread back on track. It’s run it’s course and, like most threads, has turned into a Pro-Anti Stitt/Pro-Anti Bobby thread.

alabamagrizzly said:
Ursa Major said:
mcg said:
Why wasn't Mr. Gunter offered a scholarship? I wonder if that was the basis for his U-turn.

Good question!

Stop trying to get this thread back on track. It’s run it’s course and, like most threads, has turned into a Pro-Anti Stitt/Pro-Anti Bobby thread.

Questionable academic record? Because it was likely he wasn't coming anyway? Because the rest have been offered during the last four weeks to players we desperately need?

All speculation but it isn't because we don't have any to offer so in reality, there likely is something to it.

horribilisfan8184 said:
Ringneck said:
hilinegrizfan said:
Ringneck said:

Bobby wasn't forced to keep the candidate he beat out for the job on as his DC. He won't have a coordinator competing for player loyalty. He's sent those players who couldn't buy in packing before fall camp. His offense and defense will be simpler so less player mistakes. He will accomplish better clock control which will keep players fresher. He knows how and when to fire up his team, and will have them believing they can win every game. He has a respectable if not better than average o-line. He has coaches who can figure out the other teams' schemes and adjust. He has HIS QB to start the season. We will have dominant special teams this year. In short, he has Stitt buried in just about every tangible and intangible category so I have much higher expectations for this team's success this year than most on here. I see the Griz beating MSU by 20 or more to not just get into the playoffs but secure a bye first round. If you don't see how SDSU's success the last few years is in a large part due to Bobby coming of age at that level, then you never played the game. Every year lately the BSC has a surprise team rise to the top and this year that is the Griz.

Wow, those are all great points. Definitely some major advantages for Hauck. I appreciate this perspective Horribilis.

Colter_Nuanez56 said:
https://twitter.com/SkylineSportsMT/status/1020010361758527488

Well that officially closes this topic. Can’t get a corner to save our lives lately. In Nash, Cowans, Crow and Egbo we trust now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dayday said:
Colter_Nuanez56 said:

Well that officially closes this topic. Can’t get a corner to save our lives lately. In Nash, Cowans, Crow and Egbo we trust now.

Rest easy my friends. We are just fine at the Corner position!

reinell30 said:
dayday said:
Colter_Nuanez56 said:

Rest easy my friends. We are just fine at the Corner position!

For atleast the next 3 years, barring no injuries.

horribilisfan8184 said:
Ringneck said:
hilinegrizfan said:
Ringneck said:

Excellent and well written.

horribilisfan8184 said:
Ringneck said:
hilinegrizfan said:
Ringneck said:

Had Stitt been forced to keep the DC in question, UM may have beaten the Cats in one or both years, and made the playoffs in one or both years, and Stitt would still have his job at UM. By the way, after the first Cat win, I was told by a Cat starter that the reason the Cats beat the Griz was because of TG.

PlayerRep said:
horribilisfan8184 said:
Ringneck said:
hilinegrizfan said:

Had Stitt been forced to keep the DC in question, UM may have beaten the Cats in one or both years, and made the playoffs in one or both years, and Stitt would still have his job at UM. By the way, after the first Cat win, I was told by a Cat starter that the reason the Cats beat the Griz was because of TG.

I was told by a Griz Alum/Booster who is friends with TG, that TG told him after the 2016 game that he was afraid Stitt would replace Gus with Chalich at halftime, because TG "didn't have an answer for Chalich".

PlayerRep said:
horribilisfan8184 said:
Ringneck said:
hilinegrizfan said:

Had Stitt been forced to keep the DC in question, UM may have beaten the Cats in one or both years, and made the playoffs in one or both years, and Stitt would still have his job at UM.
Sadly, I believe that to be true. Not only was Semore a subpar DC compared to TG, TG took advantage of some "inside knowledge" and used it to his advantage. Twice.

maroonandsilver said:
PlayerRep said:
horribilisfan8184 said:
Ringneck said:

I was told by a Griz Alum/Booster who is friends with TG, that TG told him after the 2016 game that he was afraid Stitt would replace Gus with Chalich at halftime, because TG "didn't have an answer for Chalich".

I believe it. Everyone and their mother knew Gus was not keeping the ball on the read options so defense didn't have to honor it, just could key on the poor running back who was trying to find a hole with pass blocking line without the fundamental need of the QB keeping defense honest on run play option. Chalich would have thus TG's fear. No slight on Gus, just facts are slow 6"7" skinny QB is not what you need to run that play when defense has had a chance to watch film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back