• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

NDSU in dogfight

2011BisonAlumni said:
Probably the worst case scenario happened yesterday if you are a fan of any FCS team outside of NDSU.

:lol: WTF does this mean? Do you even think about what you post before hitting “submit”?
So, UNDF not looking as good as expected is the worst thing that could happen for any other team? Really?
Worse than losing the starting QB, and OL?
Worse than canceling the season for Covid?
Worse than waking up as a Bubcat?

2011BisonAlumni said:
Da Boyz Mom said:
Lance is a very good QB, and selfishly I would love to see him move on in hopes that his backup isn't as good and NDSU struggles a bit (yeah, I know it's not terribly likely.)

On the other hand, I don't like to see kids leaving college without a degree, even for the NFL. I hope his parents or coaches can offer him some perspective that he doesn't have at his young age.

Probably the worst case scenario happened yesterday if you are a fan of any FCS team outside of NDSU.

I’d say the odds of him leaving went from 90% to 50/50.

As far as backups go, I think NDSU would be in great hands for this season. Trey narrowly beat out Zeb Noland last year, who was a transfer from Iowa State and had success as a starter there. Unfortunately, he was hurt and had the situation of being on the same team as Brock Purdy, who will be a draft pick this year. Zeb isn’t nearly the athlete Trey is, but he’s a great QB to have as a backup and can really sling it. Would speculate he’d start on the vast majority of FCS teams.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/stats/_/id/4035525/zeb-noland
This post is hilarious on so many levels.
He goes from the greatest QB in history to “narrowly beat[ing]” out a transfer named “Zeb”, all in 140 characters or less.

4hc5l3.jpg

garizzalies said:
2011BisonAlumni said:

As far as backups go, I think NDSU would be in great hands for this season. Trey narrowly beat out Zeb Noland last year, who was a transfer from Iowa State and had success as a starter there. Unfortunately, he was hurt and had the situation of being on the same team as Brock Purdy, who will be a draft pick this year. Zeb isn’t nearly the athlete Trey is, but he’s a great QB to have as a backup and can really sling it. Would speculate he’d start on the vast majority of FCS teams.

He goes from the greatest QB in history to “narrowly beat[ing]” out a transfer named “Zeb”, all in 140 characters or less.

Dude narrowly beats out another FCS QB, throws like 18 times last season, and sucker scouts view him as an actual quarterback in the NFL. Clown car act show like you read about.

garizzalies said:
2011BisonAlumni said:

They won the game. Don’t really care how they looked honestly. Rusty team playing their first game of the year against a really good FCS opponent playing in their 4th game.

Because Trey Lance for two more seasons means a lot of teams are a distance second in terms of favorites at the FCS level. He’s the best player in the division. Period.

When did I call him the greatest QB in history? How do you know Zeb Noland doesn’t have NFL talent?

He was a freshman, going up against a guy with significant experience. He got better as the year went on. It happens .

CDAGRIZ said:
ilovethecats said:
Exactly. If he plays well against this competition he’s supposed to. If he puts up more below average games like yesterday it just becomes a clown car act show that could really hurt his draft status.

:lol: God damnit! Was nodding in agreement and then you dropped the CCAS. Had to explain why I’m laughing into my phone.

:lol: :thumb:

SoldierGriz said:
He is a first round pick right now because that's how QBs in the NFL are valued.

Top 20 pick...a crop ton of guaranteed money.

He will go.

Teams recently have sold the farm to get a "franchise" QB. My Vikings are paying Cousins about 30 mill per annum which is all you need to know. So I'd agree you are absolutely correct. We'll see if he can process information on the fly at NFL speed.

2011BisonAlumni said:
Because Trey Lance for two more seasons means a lot of teams are a distance second in terms of favorites at the FCS level.
Wut? It would be so much easier to understand you chubbs if you knew how to use punctuation and complete sentences.

garizzalies said:
2011BisonAlumni said:
How do you know Zeb Noland doesn’t have NFL talent?

Because his name is “Zeb Noland”.
How do you know?

I never said I did. Simply saying he hasn’t been given the best cards. He’s been beat out by two guys who will both be NFL draft picks.

If Trey leaves and he lights it up, he will certainly get looks. He has NFL arm talent and has played well when given an opportunity.

Someone named Zeb Noland has definitely MC’d a clown car act show in the last 12 months. That is also going to be the name of my next band.

2011BisonAlumni said:
garizzalies said:
Because his name is “Zeb Noland”.
How do you know?

I never said I did. Simply saying he hasn’t been given the best cards. He’s been beat out by two guys who will both be NFL draft picks.

If Trey leaves and he lights it up, he will certainly get looks. He has NFL arm talent and has played well when given an opportunity.
Another hilarious post. In the first paragraph, he claims he never said Ole Zebby has NFL talent.
And in the second paragraph he claims Zeb has NFL talent. I couldn’t make this stuff up if I tried.

garizzalies said:
2011BisonAlumni said:

Another hilarious post. In the first paragraph, he claims he never said Ole Zebby has NFL talent.
And in the second paragraph he claims Zeb has NFL talent. I couldn’t make this stuff up if I tried.

The Griz have also had many backup QB's with NFL talent, but they never got a chance to show the NFL scouts (and didn't have fans tipping off the NFL scouts even when the guys were backups).

garizzalies said:
2011BisonAlumni said:

Having NFL talent to play QB and NFL arm talent are two entirely different things......

I’m saying he has NFL size and NFL arm strength and was in a situation where he was beat out by two guys....two guys who both may go in the first round.

He looked great when given an opportunity at Iowa State and looked great in camp. It was very close decision to go with Trey, so I’m guessing Zeb is pretty decent.

This isn’t unprecedented you know. The guy who sat on the bench at NDSU from 2011-2013 was the #2 draft pick. Easton Stick sat behind Wentz and was a draft pick. Trey Lance redshirted and is viewed as a 1st round pick.

garizzalies said:
2011BisonAlumni said:

Sure, he may have NFL arm talent, but he doesn't have anywhere close to NFL torso talent, and his ankle talent is more AA HS level than NFL.

The Bizons also have a backup dropdown punter who has NFL left tackle talent, but he doesn't get to showcase it being buried on the depth chart, with NFL talent, but sitting on the bench, with NFL talent.

CDAGRIZ said:
garizzalies said:

Sure, he may have NFL arm talent, but he doesn't have anywhere close to NFL torso talent, and his ankle talent is more AA HS level than NFL.

The Bizons also have a backup dropdown punter who has NFL left tackle talent, but he doesn't get to showcase it being buried on the depth chart, with NFL talent, but sitting on the bench, with NFL talent.

Ankle talent is reserved for UM players recruited under Bobby Hauck.

Back