• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

NDSU Gets Chick-fil-A & McDonalds at the White House

PlayerRep said:
The deficit is not "sky rocketing at a record pace" now. As I said, the expected deficit this year is still under 4 of Obama's deficits, anyway you measure,

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/06/us/politics/us-trade-deficit.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Just finished inspecting 50 new Sig Sauer M18 weapons thru lunch and this thread title makes me hungry.

reinell30 said:
Just finished inspecting 50 new Sig Sauer M18 weapons thru lunch and this thread title makes me hungry.

so are you going with mickey d's or chicken?

tourist said:
Base only has Popeyes. No Chick-fil-A or golden arches.

This Popeyes is horrible. Tonight is wing Wednesday at the Sting. Beer and the best wings in town this evening. I will wait till 1600.

argh! said:
PlayerRep said:
The deficit is not "sky rocketing at a record pace" now. As I said, the expected deficit this year is still under 4 of Obama's deficits, anyway you measure,

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/06/us/politics/us-trade-deficit.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

say what, greenie? also, if you didn't understand my ccp edit, you haven't played that particular game at anything other than a superficial level. i know it well. did you forget i was recently living in china?

The trade deficit including with China means nothing to me. I don't think trade deficits are a big deal. I said nothing about trade deficits in this thread, or anywhere. Trump may care, but I don't care and he's a bozo.

I had studied this article earlier this morning. By recollection, the US dollar is strong including strong against China's currently. The US has a booming economy and can purchase foreign goods. Because the China currently is weaker and of tariffs, China is purchasing less from the US. Again, who are cares. This has nothing to do with what I have said in this thread.

I did not see any reference by you or anyone to ccp. The last I knew you were in Maine or Pocatello, or something like that. Were you studying or teaching trade or economics in China? I love Hong Kong, but wasn't expecting to enjoy Beijing as much as I did. Loved the Great Wall. What did you like or do?

While I read about China trade and their economy, our firm studies both, and gets current info from our China offices. It's critical to our business there. Baucus still goes to China about 4 or so times a year, and continues to follow China matters and relations with the US carefully. Always super interesting to talk to him about China.

The Wall St. Journal article today is much better than the NY Times article. See below. Rogoff says the trade deficit is up because the US economy is so strong. What's bad about that? Nice try, argh, but you just showed that you don't have a clue about these things. Talk about superficial.

"“The fact that the U.S. economy is doing very well is the main reason the trade gap has risen,” said Kenneth Rogoff, a professor at Harvard University and former chief economist at the International Monetary Fund.

Overall U.S. imports grew 7.5% last year, driven in part by spending on consumer goods, industrial supplies and capital goods. Americans stepped up imports from China, purchasing more TVs, auto parts, videogames and furniture. Exports grew too, but only 6.3%.

“Policies that play around at the margins with tariffs are always going to get swamped by macroeconomic factors,” Mr. Rogoff said.

reinell30 said:
tourist said:

This Popeyes is horrible. Tonight is wing Wednesday at the Sting. Beer and the best wings in town this evening. I will wait till 1600.
Never tried Popeyes. Can't get it in town, something about the goddamned franchise agreement. Sting has had good food for a long time. Good choice.
I did have one more question: When the switch from Beretta?

tourist said:
reinell30 said:
tourist said:

Never tried Popeyes. Can't get it in town, something about the goddamned franchise agreement. Sting has had good food for a long time. Good choice.
I did have one more question: When the switch from Beretta?

Just starting phasing out the 92's last year. The Italian made Beretta is a very reliable weapon, however the Beretta's we use are American made andequire a lot of maintenance so the powers to be changed to the Sig's

PlayerRep said:
argh! said:
PlayerRep said:

say what, greenie? also, if you didn't understand my ccp edit, you haven't played that particular game at anything other than a superficial level. i know it well. did you forget i was recently living in china?

The trade deficit including with China means nothing to me. I don't think trade deficits are a big deal. I said nothing about trade deficits in this thread, or anywhere. Trump may care, but I don't care and he's a bozo.

I had studied this article earlier this morning. By recollection, the US dollar is strong including strong against China's currently. The US has a booming economy and can purchase foreign goods. Because the China currently is weaker and of tariffs, China is purchasing less from the US. Again, who are cares. This has nothing to do with what I have said in this thread.

I did not see any reference by you or anyone to ccp. The last I knew you were in Maine or Pocatello, or something like that. Were you studying or teaching trade or economics in China? I love Hong Kong, but wasn't expecting to enjoy Beijing as much as I did. Loved the Great Wall. What did you like or do?

While I read about China trade and their economy, our firm studies both, and gets current info from our China offices. It's critical to our business there. Baucus still goes to China about 4 or so times a year, and continues to follow China matters and relations with the US carefully. Always super interesting to talk to him about China.

Always wondered where a argh! came up with his left wing shit. Right from the source, Red China. No wonder he feels at home in Missoula.

tourist said:
Always wondered where a argh! came up with his left wing shit. Right from the source, Red China. No wonder he feels at home in Missoula.

ha, there isn't much 'left wing' about china. trump would be in heaven there.

argh! said:
PlayerRep said:
argh! said:
PlayerRep said:

sorry, saw the term deficit and fired from the hip. first time ever, i swear.

the usd value vs the rmb is about the same as it has been over the last few years. been to many major cities in china, and to hong kong, many times. feel bad for the hong kong ren. the great wall is amazing, one of the few wonders of the world that really is a wonder of the world. went there 20 years ago, near ba da ling, before a lot of the current development was in place. that was back in the bicycle days, when the streets of beijing were full of them. then they all disappeared, only to have returned with ofo and mobike. anyway, beijing is not really my cup of tea, although the surrounding area can be surprisingly beautiful when there is an important meeting happening, and the air mysteriously clears up. i'm more partial to western china, which has a vibe more similar to the western u.s.. the himalayas are stunning, just stunning. lived in southwest china mega-city, in the center of town, half-time, until fairly recently. it has gotten pretty creepy there over the last couple years, and that, on top of the unlivable pollution in the winter months, and the lack of manners motivated me to change my mind. right about the same time i started being somewhat proficient in putong hua, naturally. anyway, i interact with people there daily. knew baucus at one point. when i was a kid i always used to cut through his parents yard as a shortcut. king george also had a big interest in china.

anyway, i know quite a bit about china and trying to do business there. does your company work for other foreign companies in china? tough to do business there in the long-term. not going to write anything more revealing... ai wei wei says it best:

Cool on your China experiences. Didn't know that. You know much more about China than I do, but I'd still put up my China trade and business knowledge against you (as my firm and I follow that closely).

I've also been to Shenzhen. Hong Kong is one of my favorite cities. So different and exotic, but easy to deal with. I have lots of friends there, or who grew up there.

I had never thought much about the Great Wall or thought much of it, until I experienced it.

From our firm's website. Our then partner former VP Walter Mondale helped us be one of the first US firm's to have an office in China. We represent US and European companies doing business and joint ventures in China, as well as Chinese company doing business and financing in the Hong Kong and the US (and the UK). We are involved with IP and IP "protection".

"Dorsey has long been committed to China and the entire Asia-Pacific region. The firm opened its Hong Kong office in 1995, its Shanghai office in 2001 and its Beijing office in 2015. Dorsey’s China-focused team works across continents with a worldwide view, whether helping U.S., European and other international entities successfully conduct business in China, or helping Chinese companies achieve their business goals in the U.S., Europe and around the globe. The broad range of services we provide include:

International Capital Markets +
Mergers & Acquisitions +
Intellectual Property +
International Dispute Resolution +
International Trade +
National Security Law +
Government Enforcement & Corporate Investigations +
featured resources"

"Our Asia-based lawyers include natives of mainland China, the United States, Australia and Europe who are trained in the legal systems of those countries. We are admitted to full practice in Hong Kong and advise on international transactions in India and throughout the region. Although we are not admitted to practice before the courts in mainland China, we are licensed as foreign lawyers and permitted to provide a wide range of legal services there. We have a special counsel relationship with a PRC firm, as well as a network of relationships with other excellent local law firms, which enables us to look after the legal interests of our clients throughout the Asia-Pacific region."

From our Asia-Pac brochure: https://www.dorsey.com/-/media/files/asia-pacific/asia_pacific_brochure.pdf?la=en&hash=88EB9F8072D32D228819C32A58C24DD6

"PRC and Asian Companies We advise PRC and Asian companies with respect to various equity raising activities in the international capital markets: •Initial public offerings (“IPOs”) and listings on the Hong Kong, London and New York stock exchanges •U.S. and international private placements under Rule 144A/Regulation S •PIPEs offerings •Pre-IPO restructuring and financing"

"

The only one moving the goal posts is you. You're sticking them, willy-nilly, all over the place ... anywhere that allows you to make one of your ridiculous rationalizations for this insane mismanagement. The deficit is heading for record highs as a result of the tax cut, tariffs and general incompetence. That's what counts ... not your stupid, cherry picking of specific dates. Optimism, my ass ... the realization that we are in the hands of fools is setting in big time ... yuuugely, in fact. Have you seen the new trade deficit figures? Trump's been making the same kind of deals that's bankrupted him so many times that no one would lend him money, anymore. We're approaching that status as a nation with his flakey, ignorant, impulsive stupidity ... the world is realizing that they can't deal with the US anymore with any degree of confidence ... that's going to cost us more than all his moronic ploys, put together. I've never seen such desperate eagerness to cover this horse's ass's manure pile ... and you want to tell us you're objective ... you should apply for a Hannity sidekick position, wingbat.

Trump's tariff war pushes US trade deficit to 10-year high

Trade imbalance rose to $621bn in 2018 despite new tariffs
Deficit jumped 19% in December alone

The US trade deficit hit a 10-year high in December, dealing a blow to Donald Trump’s efforts to restrict imports, especially from China, with protectionist trade tariffs.

The gap between the goods US companies sell to China and Chinese imports ballooned to a record $419bn (£318bn), while the total deficit in goods with all countries jumped to $891bn. A surplus in services trade was unable to prevent the overall deficit for 2018 from rising nearly 19% in December to a decade-long high of $621bn, the commerce department said.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Cool on your China experiences. Didn't know that. You know much more about China than I do, but I'd still put up my China trade and business knowledge against you (as my firm and I follow that closely).

I've also been to Shenzhen. Hong Kong is one of my favorite cities. So different and exotic, but easy to deal with. I have lots of friends there, or who grew up there.

I had never thought much about the Great Wall or thought much of it, until I experienced it.

From our firm's website. Our then partner former VP Walter Mondale helped us be one of the first US firm's to have an office in China. We represent US and European companies doing business and joint ventures in China, as well as Chinese company doing business and financing in the Hong Kong and the US (and the UK). We are involved with IP and IP "protection".

"Dorsey has long been committed to China and the entire Asia-Pacific region. The firm opened its Hong Kong office in 1995, its Shanghai office in 2001 and its Beijing office in 2015. Dorsey’s China-focused team works across continents with a worldwide view, whether helping U.S., European and other international entities successfully conduct business in China, or helping Chinese companies achieve their business goals in the U.S., Europe and around the globe. The broad range of services we provide include:

Mergers & Acquisitions +
Intellectual Property +
International Trade +
National Security Law +
featured resources"

"Our Asia-based lawyers include natives of mainland China, the United States, Australia and Europe who are trained in the legal systems of those countries. We are admitted to full practice in Hong Kong and advise on international transactions in India and throughout the region. Although we are not admitted to practice before the courts in mainland China, we are licensed as foreign lawyers and permitted to provide a wide range of legal services there. We have a special counsel relationship with a PRC firm, as well as a network of relationships with other excellent local law firms, which enables us to look after the legal interests of our clients throughout the Asia-Pacific region."

From our Asia-Pac brochure: https://www.dorsey.com/-/media/files/asia-pacific/asia_pacific_brochure.pdf?la=en&hash=88EB9F8072D32D228819C32A58C24DD6

"PRC and Asian Companies We advise PRC and Asian companies with respect to various equity raising activities in the international capital markets: •Initial public offerings (“IPOs”) and listings on the Hong Kong, London and New York stock exchanges •U.S. and international private placements under Rule 144A/Regulation S •PIPEs offerings •Pre-IPO restructuring and financing"

"
[/quote]

trying to navigate chinese law on a daily has to be a major headache, given the huge number of laws, but random enforcement, based on who you are dealing with on a particular issue. you probably know that the whole society is pervaded by the concept of 'guanxi', or the use of interpersonal connections for mutual gain. one of the reasons i pulled out of doing business there was because my partner's guanxi with officials wasn't as extensive as advertised, which brings up another problem doing business there - 'face'. people are often not as successful or influential as they claim, but it is hard to figure out what's what when dealing with them initially, because they go to great lengths to make themselves look good. having spent time in lower tier cities, i have come to view the first tier cities as a version of face, in that they are what the chinese want you to believe is the norm, when it isn't. travel to some rural areas and you will probably be reminded of your days back on the rez, if i understand your upbringing correctly.

mondale, huh? i wish that the u.s. could go back in time and undo his and carter's actions on china, particularly the taiwan issue and ditching 'official' relations with them in favor of the mainland. of course, back then taiwan was also something of a dictatorship under the kmt, and (i think) still claiming to be the rightful government of the mainland, but it is a thriving democracy now, albeit under constant threat from the ccp. it seemed to me to be more different from the mainland than hong kong, by a long shot. much more civilized than the prc. it's going to be ugly if mr. pooh follows through on his threats, although i'm starting to wonder how long he's going to last, given his many gross miscalculations, which in turn i suspect have made doing business there more difficult for your company. or so my opinion goes.

Stan Collender of the McCourt School of Public Policy at Georgetown University explains why these deficits are the most pernicious that you could have. They are self inflicted in a time when they are unnecessary and not, as is usually the case, as a result of a recession. Thus, if a recession does occur, there will be no recourse in economic policy, and they will rocket to unmanageable levels. And, since these insane, incompetent and reckless policies are bound to lead to just such a down turn, we are in serious danger. There is an endless array of articles by economists warning of exactly this scenario.

excerpted from ...
Trump trillion-dollar-plus deficits are putting America on a path to fiscal ruin
Trump's deficits are permanent

Unlike the trillion dollar budget deficits that occurred during the Obama administration that were temporary and largely the result of the Great Recession, the Trump deficits that will soon reach and exceed $1 trillion are permanent and will only get worse in the years ahead.

The Trump deficits are the result of changes in federal spending and revenue that will continue to be in place until some president and Congress decide to reverse them, that is, to increase taxes and make cuts to popular programs.

Not only has there been little appetite to do that, many in Congress and the Trump administration seem to be hellbent on ignoring the deficit and national debt and increasing spending and reducing revenue even further.

Nor does it include interest on the national debt. The combination of big increases in federal borrowing from the very large deficits and the need for Washington to roll over its sizable short-term debt at higher interest rates will make this the fastest growing spending of all.

And all of this is happening when the economy is doing well.

Our national finances will only get worse

The White House was actually refusing to comment on three key issues:

►It obviously doesn’t want to talk about how big the annual deficit could get in the years ahead. The Congressional Budget Office is already projecting it will exceed $1.5 trillion by 2028, and that assumes no changes from existing taxes and spending laws and no recession.

►It also doesn’t want to talk about how it will pay for more tax cuts, a Space Force, the wall, infrastructure or anything else ... including reducing the deficit.

The Trump administration doesn’t want to explain how it’s going to manage the U.S. economy out of a recession if one happens on its watch. The traditional federal response of tax cuts and spending increases might not be as politically palatable as it has been in the past given that it could drive the annual deficit to close to $2 trillion.

PR doesn’t “care about” trade deficits because it doesn’t fit with his idiocy about the great and booming US economy … but, of course, they impact the economy along with all the other messes Trump is creating … this economy is rapidly losing it’s underpinnings on all fronts. The loss of confidence in this pack of clowns will soon translate to a lack of confidence in the management of the US economy, overall, both here and abroad and will have serious consequences.

Trump's tariff war pushes US trade deficit to 10-year high

March 6, 2019

The downbeat trade data, publication of which was delayed by the US government shutdown, now stand alongside reports of weak retail sales, construction spending, housing starts and business spending on equipment in setting the economy on a low-growth trajectory this quarter.

Chris Beauchamp, chief market analyst at the spread-betting firm IG, says, “The chances of a deal with China this month look a bit weaker now, while more trade conflict with Europe seems increasingly likely. The assumption now is that trade wars will intensify, and that growth will suffer as a result.”

The Trump economy is a house of cards, a fool's paradise ... I can't think of a more fitting place for a fool like PR to take up residence.

argh! said:
PlayerRep said:
argh! said:
PlayerRep said:

sorry, saw the term deficit and fired from the hip. first time ever, i swear.

the usd value vs the rmb is about the same as it has been over the last few years. been to many major cities in china, and to hong kong, many times. feel bad for the hong kong ren. the great wall is amazing, one of the few wonders of the world that really is a wonder of the world. went there 20 years ago, near ba da ling, before a lot of the current development was in place. that was back in the bicycle days, when the streets of beijing were full of them. then they all disappeared, only to have returned with ofo and mobike. anyway, beijing is not really my cup of tea, although the surrounding area can be surprisingly beautiful when there is an important meeting happening, and the air mysteriously clears up. i'm more partial to western china, which has a vibe more similar to the western u.s.. the himalayas are stunning, just stunning. lived in southwest china mega-city, in the center of town, half-time, until fairly recently. it has gotten pretty creepy there over the last couple years, and that, on top of the unlivable pollution in the winter months, and the lack of manners motivated me to change my mind. right about the same time i started being somewhat proficient in putong hua, naturally. anyway, i interact with people there daily. knew baucus at one point. when i was a kid i always used to cut through his parents yard as a shortcut. king george also had a big interest in china.

anyway, i know quite a bit about china and trying to do business there. does your company work for other foreign companies in china? tough to do business there in the long-term. not going to write anything more revealing... ai wei wei says it best:

Mergers & Acquisitions +
Intellectual Property +
International Trade +
National Security Law +
featured resources"

"

trying to navigate chinese law on a daily has to be a major headache, given the huge number of laws, but random enforcement, based on who you are dealing with on a particular issue. you probably know that the whole society is pervaded by the concept of 'guanxi', or the use of interpersonal connections for mutual gain. one of the reasons i pulled out of doing business there was because my partner's guanxi with officials wasn't as extensive as advertised, which brings up another problem doing business there - 'face'. people are often not as successful or influential as they claim, but it is hard to figure out what's what when dealing with them initially, because they go to great lengths to make themselves look good. having spent time in lower tier cities, i have come to view the first tier cities as a version of face, in that they are what the chinese want you to believe is the norm, when it isn't. travel to some rural areas and you will probably be reminded of your days back on the rez, if i understand your upbringing correctly.

mondale, huh? i wish that the u.s. could go back in time and undo his and carter's actions on china, particularly the taiwan issue and ditching 'official' relations with them in favor of the mainland. of course, back then taiwan was also something of a dictatorship under the kmt, and (i think) still claiming to be the rightful government of the mainland, but it is a thriving democracy now, albeit under constant threat from the ccp. it seemed to me to be more different from the mainland than hong kong, by a long shot. much more civilized than the prc. it's going to be ugly if mr. pooh follows through on his threats, although i'm starting to wonder how long he's going to last, given his many gross miscalculations, which in turn i suspect have made doing business there more difficult for your company. or so my opinion goes.

Interesting. What kind of business were you trying to do?

Actually, some of the problems and uncertainty are what cause the legal business to expand and get more business. We have to stay on top of what's going on, so that we can advise clients. That's some of what we "sell". We have multiple Chinese lawyers, both in China and HK, and in the US. Many Chinese speakers. Some Chinese lawyers educated in both China and the US. One of our former Chinese partners was the daughter of a Chinese IP/Patent firm. The dad had been one of the primary drafters of China's IP/Patent laws a few decades ago. Our lawyer, who was in the US and had gone to law school in the US, left to be head of IP/Patents for Ali Baba. I assume she did very well for herself. She had drafted some of the patents for our MT clients.

Fat Bruno said:
Stan Collender of the McCourt School of Public Policy at Georgetown University explains why these deficits are the most pernicious that you could have. They are self inflicted in a time when they are unnecessary and not, as is usually the case, as a result of a recession. Thus, if a recession does occur, there will be no recourse in economic policy, and they will rocket to unmanageable levels. And, since these insane, incompetent and reckless policies are bound to lead to just such a down turn, we are in serious danger. There is an endless array of articles by economists warning of exactly this scenario.

excerpted from ...
Trump trillion-dollar-plus deficits are putting America on a path to fiscal ruin
Trump's deficits are permanent

Unlike the trillion dollar budget deficits that occurred during the Obama administration that were temporary and largely the result of the Great Recession, the Trump deficits that will soon reach and exceed $1 trillion are permanent and will only get worse in the years ahead.

The Trump deficits are the result of changes in federal spending and revenue that will continue to be in place until some president and Congress decide to reverse them, that is, to increase taxes and make cuts to popular programs.

Not only has there been little appetite to do that, many in Congress and the Trump administration seem to be hellbent on ignoring the deficit and national debt and increasing spending and reducing revenue even further.

Nor does it include interest on the national debt. The combination of big increases in federal borrowing from the very large deficits and the need for Washington to roll over its sizable short-term debt at higher interest rates will make this the fastest growing spending of all.

And all of this is happening when the economy is doing well.

Our national finances will only get worse

The White House was actually refusing to comment on three key issues:

►It obviously doesn’t want to talk about how big the annual deficit could get in the years ahead. The Congressional Budget Office is already projecting it will exceed $1.5 trillion by 2028, and that assumes no changes from existing taxes and spending laws and no recession.

►It also doesn’t want to talk about how it will pay for more tax cuts, a Space Force, the wall, infrastructure or anything else ... including reducing the deficit.

The Trump administration doesn’t want to explain how it’s going to manage the U.S. economy out of a recession if one happens on its watch. The traditional federal response of tax cuts and spending increases might not be as politically palatable as it has been in the past given that it could drive the annual deficit to close to $2 trillion.

I don't like huge deficits either, but in recent decades the Dems have been more responsible for them than others. The Dems push for more spending and more entitlements. Jeez, look at the Green New Deal. That would bankrupt the US. A guaranteed income for everyone "who does not want to work". That was a good one.

Again, it was a bunch of Dems that pushed for more spending in the budget bill passed in late 2017. Trump signed it. While many Repubs voted for it, many didn't, like Congressman Gianforte. Thought it was too much spending.

The US economy is clearly being positively impacted by the tax cuts. We'll have to see in several years, how the numbers shake out.

Your here Krugman sometimes is fine with deficits, by the way. Sometimes not.

"Krugman is basically making the following argument:

Government should make investments when the societal benefits exceed the cost of capital

Very low interest rates, particularly on government bonds, represent a very low cost of capital for the government

Government bonds, by virtue of their being lower risk than any other kind of asset, also enhance liquidity in the financial markets by providing an easily accessible store of value

The evident need for infrastructure investment and overall financial liquidity, especially in the post-2008 financial crisis period, made (and still makes) government borrowing a value creating proposition and, conversely, debt reduction bad economics"

Back