• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Naseem Gaskin Commits!

GrizWhiz said:
Zirg said:
UncleRico said:
TrueGriz said:
After watching Gaskin today, I am praying he is granted a waiver.

I agree. This kid can play.

I third this motion. He is THE most-talented player on the Griz roster right now, IMO. He is (or will be) a difference maker.
I think it is a little early to place him ahead of Sayeed. That said, I hope they get to play together, i.e. this year!

Sayeed is more valuable and a "better" player right now today, I agree. but Gaskin looks like he has more-upside and pure talent.

Zirg said:
GrizWhiz said:
Zirg said:
UncleRico said:
I agree. This kid can play.

I third this motion. He is THE most-talented player on the Griz roster right now, IMO. He is (or will be) a difference maker.
I think it is a little early to place him ahead of Sayeed. That said, I hope they get to play together, i.e. this year!

Sayeed is more valuable and a "better" player right now today, I agree. but Gaskin looks like he has more-upside and pure talent.

Pretty hard to tell just from watching a scrimmage and I'd agree Gaskin has the talent to be another Rorie, but the kid who looks to me to have tremendous offensive upside is KO. 6'8" with a handle, slashing ability and a sweet stroke. Usually guys that size that have played here were more power guys like Strait, I'm envisioning Owens shooting 40% from 3. What the heck, it's going to be fun having this debate over the next few seasons, can't wait for the games.

Hoops watcher said:
Zirg said:
GrizWhiz said:
Zirg said:

Pretty hard to tell just from watching a scrimmage and I'd agree Gaskin has the talent to be another Rorie, but the kid who looks to me to have tremendous offensive upside is KO. 6'8" with a handle, slashing ability and a sweet stroke. Usually guys that size that have played here were more power guys like Strait, I'm envisioning Owens shooting 40% from 3. What the heck, it's going to be fun having this debate over the next few seasons, can't wait for the games.

Two Words: E GUN!

Is anyone else annoyed that we are forced to wait until the beginning of the season for yet another waiver decision? It would be nice if they made all of the decisions with a reasonable amount of time left before the season starts. Like 10 days or so. That way teams have a better idea of how to prepare. Hopefully the NCAA improves the waiver process soon.

Grizbballfan14 said:
Is anyone else annoyed that we are forced to wait until the beginning of the season for yet another waiver decision? It would be nice if they made all of the decisions with a reasonable amount of time left before the season starts. Like 10 days or so. That way teams have a better idea of how to prepare. Hopefully the NCAA improves the waiver process soon.

Agreed, but.....lolololololol

Grizbballfan14 said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ........ :cry:

fanofzoo said:
Grizbballfan14 said:

The way I understand it, at this point, all of the first level appeals have either been approved or rejected. If rejected, they automatically go to the next level for review. A few do win their appeal at that level, but not many. If you have not heard already, chances are not good to get the waiver for Gaskin. IMHO
, if paired with your other top wing player, he would make your team a lot better.

oldrunner said:
fanofzoo said:
Grizbballfan14 said:

The way I understand it, at this point, all of the first level appeals have either been approved or rejected. If rejected, they automatically go to the next level for review. A few do win their appeal at that level, but not many. If you have not heard already, chances are not good to get the waiver for Gaskin. IMHO
, if paired with your other top wing player, he would make your team a lot better.

I would tend to make the same assumption, but we had a player get his waiver approved the day before the season started last year. You never know with the NCAA

Portland state player Lamar Hamrick was awarded a waiver despite playing division one basketball at Detoit Mercy last year. As far as I can tell there was no coaching change or sanctions levied on the program. Also Portland is farther away from his listed hometown in Deleware...

Obviously this doesnt mean Gaskin will be approved, but youd have to question their judgement if he doesnt. Then again it's the NCAA so what am I talking about.

oldrunner said:
fanofzoo said:
Grizbballfan14 said:

I don’t think that’s true waivers are still being granted.

oldrunner said:
fanofzoo said:
Grizbballfan14 said:

Clemson just received a waiver on Khavon Moore who is a sophomore and transferred in this year from Texas Tech.

dayday said:
oldrunner said:
fanofzoo said:
Grizbballfan14 said:

Correct. Kendal Manuel got his waiver approved literally the day of our first game last season.

WaGriz4life said:
dayday said:
oldrunner said:
fanofzoo said:

Correct. Kendal Manuel got his waiver approved literally the day of our first game last season.
I agree that he still has a chance. I just think that it is probably at the second level of appeal. At that level they look deeper into all of the circumstances. First level is 'letter of the law', second level is 'spirit of the law'. Like I said, that is just my understanding and what has been explained to me by athletic department officials here. They are certainly granting more waivers than they ever used to.

Happy to have oldrunner make an appearance on this board. I've followed him on the Weber board for years. He's partisan, loves his Wildcats, but is also wise and gracious. Hope he's wrong about Gaskin, but when he speaks, I listen.

citay said:
Happy to have oldrunner make an appearance on this board. I've followed him on the Weber board for years. He's partisan, loves his Wildcats, but is also wise and gracious. Hope he's wrong about Gaskin, but when he speaks, I listen.

Welcome oldrunner. Hopefully we will be knocking heads in the end? Don’t be a stranger.

Back