• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Naseem Gaskin Commits!

citay said:
Happy to have oldrunner make an appearance on this board. I've followed him on the Weber board for years. He's partisan, loves his Wildcats, but is also wise and gracious. Hope he's wrong about Gaskin, but when he speaks, I listen.

I agree. Oldrunner has extensive knowledge of college basketball and the Big Sky Conference. Always the voice of reason on the Weber State hoops forum.

I see that Washington's Quade Green is eligible to play immediately. He transferred from Kentucky and received his waiver to play today. Here is to still hoping for Gaskin.

racehorsewilly said:
What did oldrunner have to say about Gaskin? Didn't see his post.

That he didn't think we'd get it. Did not say why.

My question: Can we appeal it if we don't get it? Geno Auriemma just did with a UConn player who transferred in from Tennessee but was denied the waiver.

I can see why Tennessee would object in that case, but not why Utah would in ours.

citay said:
racehorsewilly said:

My question: Can we appeal it if we don't get it? Geno Auriemma just did with a UConn player who transferred in from Tennessee but was denied the waiver.

I can see why Tennessee would object in that case, but not why Utah would in ours.

He said that it was his "understanding" that the first level of appeals had already all been processed. I've heard the opposite and the news over the course of past week bears this out. There have been multiple D1 players who received approval just in the days since Oldrunner made his post. Additionally, there was a Missoulian article just a few days ago that said the team was still waiting to hear from the NCAA re: Gaskin.

According to what I've heard from those close to the program, they are cautiously optimistic after what happened with Manuel last season, but know it could go either way...

gotgame75 said:
citay said:
racehorsewilly said:

He said that it was his "understanding" that the first level of appeals had already all been processed. I've heard the opposite and the news over the course of past week bears this out. There have been multiple D1 players who received approval just in the days since Oldrunner made his post. Additionally, there was a Missoulian article just a few days ago that said the team was still waiting to hear from the NCAA re: Gaskin.

According to what I've heard from those close to the program, they are cautiously optimistic after what happened with Manuel last season, but know it could go either way...

I am cautiously optimistic also. I read an article that stated the school that an athlete is leaving can choose either support, non support or remain non commital during waiver process. And that ways heavily on decision. The case I was reading about involved a transfer denied for Tennessee men's team and UT athletic administration being unhappy about it. But Geno Auriemma called out same UT officials because they voiced non support for a UT women's transfer to UConn. And Geno seemed to imply that was a deciding factor in the women's player being denied. I don't think Krysko would be non support or non commital in a kid coming to UM. But perhaps it is less a factor than I think. But I think it probably helped with Manuel and Tinkle giving his support.

gotgame75 said:
citay said:
racehorsewilly said:

Thanks for clearing that up. I'd totally forgotten Oldrunner's explanation.

I hope that Gaskin gets his waiver. It makes UM a lot better and makes the BSC a lot better as well.

Also, as I understand it, a player states his/her reason for transferring in letter form to the NCAA. Their new school and other schools may also submit letters in support or non-support. If the player's reasons included any accusations about the coaching staff or school they are leaving, then those accused have a chance to defend themselves in written form as well. At the first level, all of these written documents are taken into consideration and weighed against permissible reasons for transferring. If it goes to the next level of appeal, there could be further inquiries by mail or phone to clear up any facts that may have been unclear or questioned before.

The only reason I could think of that coach K. may have had issue with, would be if accusations had been made against him or his program. If that happened, he may want to fight it.

Gaskin is a player who was heavily recruited out of HS. I believe that both UM and WSU were in the mix at one point. Once again, I hope he gets his waiver. :clap:

BDizzle said:
Season starts tomorrow. Guessing he isn't going to get to play this year?

Seems pretty clear, according to this season-preview story posted this morning at GoGriz.
[media]https://twitter.com/MontanaGrizBB/status/1191860243816316928[/media]

grizzlyjournal said:
BDizzle said:
Season starts tomorrow. Guessing he isn't going to get to play this year?

Seems pretty clear, according to this season-preview story posted this morning at GoGriz.
[media]https://twitter.com/MontanaGrizBB/status/1191860243816316928[/media]

I don’t think he’s playing tomorrow as pics don’t show him traveling suppose it still could be approved. Be nice to have a journalist ask if final word has come through yet.

flatheadgriz406 said:
[media]https://twitter.com/jordyhansen/status/1195069402342780928[/media]

That SUCKS! And yet Miller transfers from UM to Wazzu and can play immediately. And Naseem's teammate transfers to UNLV and can play immediately. If Nassem is given 5 to play 3 it sucks even more!

Appeal???

maroonandsilver said:
flatheadgriz406 said:
[media]https://twitter.com/jordyhansen/status/1195069402342780928[/media]

That SUCKS! And yet Miller transfers from UM to Wazzu and can play immediately. And Naseem's teammate transfers to UNLV and can play immediately. If Nassem is given 5 to play 3 it sucks even more!

Appeal???
This sucks. I feel for him.

I'd really like to know how the NCAA can justify denying him, but approving his former Ute teammate? Wtf, NCAA you have some explaining to do!

I literally just read an article in the Montana Kaimin saying that he is waiting for his waiver and might be a couple weeks away was this just bad timing or is this absolutely 100% official or maybe they appealed it. That article was written in two days Ago

Back