• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Naseem Gaskin Commits!

dayday said:
TrueGriz said:
dayday said:
Still no official announcement?

It has been announced in mid august. link is in post further up.

Show me where on GoGriz.com where it was officially announced. Missoulian is not the athletic department
Kyle Sample does a far better job of providing info than anybody in the UM sports information department. You may have to wait a long time for any info on Gaskin on gogriz.com. May never come. But have fun waiting. I have always felt football was always the priority on gogriz.com and I still do.

dayday said:
TrueGriz said:
dayday said:

Show me where on GoGriz.com where it was officially announced. Missoulian is not the athletic department

Well he is listed as a current U of M student on the on-line student directory so I would think we are good.

84GRIZ said:
dayday said:
TrueGriz said:
dayday said:

Well he is listed as a current U of M student on the on-line student directory so I would think we are good.

I believe I saw him out on the field with the team on Saturday when they were honored before the game.

TrueGriz said:
dayday said:
TrueGriz said:
dayday said:

Kyle Sample does a far better job of providing info than anybody in the UM sports information department. You may have to wait a long time for any info on Gaskin on gogriz.com. May never come. But have fun waiting. I have always felt football was always the priority on gogriz.com and I still do.
Wrong Kyle. Kyle Sample hasn't worked for the Missoulian for 2-3 years & was followed by Frank Gogola (now the Griz FB beat writer). Kyle French now covers the Griz for the Missoulian and does an excellent job.

However, I'm also going to vouch for the folks at GoGriz. These staffers cover all the Montana athletics programs, having to frequently juggle coverage duties. That means updating rosters, compiling and publishing comprehensive team yearbooks, writing profiles of players... starting with seniors and following with frosh. They have to arrange schedules for incoming journalists and team sports info reps. Add on game coverage, starting with ensuring box score accuracy, taking action photos, and interviewing coaches and players before writing stories. Oh, and now they're responsible for twitter and facebook posting, arranging schedules for incoming teams and officiating crews. I have covered only part of their jobs. It's not that they aren't working hard. Or doing a good job. It's my observation that they're probably understaffed. Get to know the Sports info staff. They're good people who work their tails off.

grizzlyjournal said:
TrueGriz said:
dayday said:
TrueGriz said:

Wrong Kyle. Kyle Sample hasn't worked for the Missoulian for 2-3 years & was followed by Frank Gogola (now the Griz FB beat writer). Kyle French now covers the Griz for the Missoulian and does an excellent job.

However, I'm also going to vouch for the folks at GoGriz. These staffers cover all the Montana athletics programs, having to frequently juggle coverage duties. That means updating rosters, compiling and publishing comprehensive team yearbooks, writing profiles of players... starting with seniors and following with frosh. They have to arrange schedules for incoming journalists and team sports info reps. Add on game coverage, starting with ensuring box score accuracy, taking action photos, and interviewing coaches and players before writing stories. Oh, and now they're responsible for twitter and facebook posting, arranging schedules for incoming teams and officiating crews. I have covered only part of their jobs. It's not that they aren't working hard. Or doing a good job. It's my observation that they're probably understaffed. Get to know the Sports info staff. They're good people who work their tails off.

What? There is more than one Kyle Sample?

debellatio said:
84GRIZ said:
dayday said:
TrueGriz said:

I believe I saw him out on the field with the team on Saturday when they were honored before the game.

Yes, I saw him with about 8 other BB players, including Timmy, Mack, etc., heading into the adams center around 5:30 before the game.

Kyle Owens tagged him in an Instagram story at Paul's Pancake Parlor this weekend. He also has a post on his own instagram page confirming his commitment here. Excited to see what he brings to the team. Hopefully he is immediately eligible since he redshirted last season

Naseem Gaskin is now listed (as #5) on the official GoGriz Montana Griz roster. https://gogriz.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball Also, click on the twitter link below. There's a photo of most of the rostered players.

[media]https://twitter.com/quartzglen/status/1171554584952619008[/media]

Grizbballfan14 said:
Kyle Owens tagged him in an Instagram story at Paul's Pancake Parlor this weekend. He also has a post on his own instagram page confirming his commitment here. Excited to see what he brings to the team. Hopefully he is immediately eligible since he redshirted last season

The B-ball players are always at Paul’s. They have good taste

WaGriz4life said:
Grizbballfan14 said:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Pridgett turned the young guys onto Paul's. He has done a great job of bringing the freshman in and making them feel like a part of the team from the beginning. He may not have the most traditional skill set for a leader but he has grown into a great leader for this team.

He leads by example and works harder than any Griz I've seen in the past. (You dont win most improved player 3 times by slacking off) He also embodies the values that this team wants to exude.
I like the emphasis this team places on chemistry and brotherhood. A lot of coaches and programs aim for a cohesive unit, but I think our basketball team actually achieved that the past two years. It seemed like their teammates were their bestfriends and they were in it together. Now pridgett is doing his part to ensure that it continues and I think it will be crucial to the long term success and culture of the program.

I hope Gaskin gets a waiver but really it’d be better if Steadman got it. We are short a big and that really is going to be the most interesting story line during the year.

Grizbballfan14 said:
WaGriz4life said:
Grizbballfan14 said:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Pridgett turned the young guys onto Paul's. He has done a great job of bringing the freshman in and making them feel like a part of the team from the beginning. He may not have the most traditional skill set for a leader but he has grown into a great leader for this team.

He leads by example and works harder than any Griz I've seen in the past. (You dont win most improved player 3 times by slacking off) He also embodies the values that this team wants to exude.
I like the emphasis this team places on chemistry and brotherhood. A lot of coaches and programs aim for a cohesive unit, but I think our basketball team actually achieved that the past two years. It seemed like their teammates were their bestfriends and they were in it together. Now pridgett is doing his part to ensure that it continues and I think it will be crucial to the long term success and culture of the program.

THIS!!! With this brief post, Grizbballfan14, I believe you've sharpened the laser focus on THE most important issue concerning the 2019-20 hoops team. A -- A young, raw but very talented team, and; B -- A senior in Sayeed Pridgett who's turned into an exemplary leader by his disciplined daily hard work first... then as a verbal leader, and lastly as an enthusiast. I think it's something he decided he needed to do late in his freshman year.

I wish you'd turn this into a separate thread, 14, (it's sort of hidden in this thread) because I believe that Sayeed's emergence will be an important focus and may well have a huge impact on the growth of these young Griz throughout the season. Thanks for your insight on this.

He’s finally official

https://gogriz.com/news/2019/9/16/mens-basketball-gaskin-excited-to-be-a-griz-after-taking-the-long-road-to-missoula.aspx

I keep seeing Jeff Goodman’s tweets of the NCAA approving all of these waivers and Manuel found out about this time you think we might hear the news if a waiver was granted (that’s if they entered for one)
https://twitter.com/goodmanhoops/status/1185310788539559936?s=21

https://twitter.com/goodmanhoops/status/1185326840610787328?s=21

dayday said:
I keep seeing Jeff Goodman’s tweets of the NCAA approving all of these waivers and Manuel found out about this time you think we might hear the news if a waiver was granted (that’s if they entered for one)

We didn't know Kendall was granted eligibility until the day of the first game last year. It was a surprise to many at that game when he came out on the court.

PeauxRouge said:
dayday said:

We didn't know Kendall was granted eligibility until the day of the first game last year. It was a surprise to many at that game when he came out on the court.

This Utah transfer was granted waiver at UNLV. I like Gaskins chances..especially since he didn't play last year. Even though I don't know factors they consider.
https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/unlv/unlv-basketball/ncaa-approves-donnie-tillmans-waiver-to-play-for-unlv-1861026/

The NCAA itself is coming under increased scrutiny from fans, politicians and legislators. As an example: The president of the NCAA made $2.9 million in 2017. Larry Scott, the commissioner of the Pac12, made over $5 million in 2018. The NCAA's new March Madness deal will make the NCAA one billion per year. ESPN's deal to televise the football playoffs is astronomical as well. The salaries of college coaches have skyrocketed. All at the expense of "STUDENT ATHLETES," who put their bodies on the line and get chicken feed compared to the big bucks rolling in to the universities and administrators.

At the same time, a 17-year-old kid makes a college decision that doesn't pan out for him, and in Naseem's case, he's forced to sit out a year, AND lose one year of eligabilty? Where's the justice in that!

These fat cats at the top of the NCAA money pile had better adjust some of their policies to build more fairness into the system for their beloved STUDENT ATHLETES, or others will do it for them.

citay said:
The NCAA itself is coming under increased scrutiny from fans, politicians and legislators. As an example: The president of the NCAA made $2.9 million in 2017. Larry Scott, the commissioner of the Pac12, made over $5 million in 2018. The NCAA's new March Madness deal will make the NCAA one billion per year. ESPN's deal to televise the football playoffs is astronomical as well. The salaries of college coaches have skyrocketed. All at the expense of "STUDENT ATHLETES," who put their bodies on the line and get chicken feed compared to the big bucks rolling in to the universities and administrators.

At the same time, a 17-year-old kid makes a college decision that doesn't pan out for him, and in Naseem's case, he's forced to sit out a year, AND lose one year of eligabilty? Where's the justice in that!

These fat cats at the top of the NCAA money pile had better adjust some of their policies to build more fairness into the system for their beloved STUDENT ATHLETES, or others will do it for them.

I especially agree with your last para. I don't pretend to know the answers, tho. I'm an amateur guy generally.

What CA did doesn't offend me, but I do think it will probably lead to undercutting the NCAA including probably the positives things the NCAA does or organization it provides. Again, no love lost for the NCAA. But don't think a free for all in college sports will be good for the college sports either.

UncleRico said:
PeauxRouge said:
dayday said:

This Utah transfer was granted waiver at UNLV. I like Gaskins chances..especially since he didn't play last year. Even though I don't know factors they consider.
https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/unlv/unlv-basketball/ncaa-approves-donnie-tillmans-waiver-to-play-for-unlv-1861026/

Yeah you would think Gaskin would get similar treatment as long as UM filled out the waiver application timely and correctly.

Latest posts

Back