• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Naseem Gaskin Commits!

Jeff Goodman @GoodmanHoops
1m
My unofficial count of transfer waivers thus far:

- 36 have been approved
- 4 have been denied
- 74 still haven’t been ruled on by the NCAA

grizindabox said:
1m

- 36 have been approved
- 4 have been denied

I like those odds. I wonder what decides when they review it. I’d guess when the application is submitted decides that.

grizindabox said:
1m

- 36 have been approved
- 4 have been denied
Those are pretty good odds. Did Steadman apply for waiver too?

I confess that I do not know what criteria will nudge a waiver applicant toward eligibility. I've heard speculation that waivers are often granted if the coach from the school a player leaves essentially advocates or approves the transfer. Nonetheless, the transfer policy seems unfair to players like Naseem Gaskin who -- having just used their eligibility as a willing redshirt at their former school -- are then essentially forced to burn a year of eligibility by sitting for a second straight season.

This I believe: if either or both Steadman and Gaskin is granted a waiver, it could have a significant instant positive impact on this year's team. Steadman is a classic back-to-the bucket power post with a soft shooting touch shot and I've heard that Gaskin is an active & aggressive defensive player.

grizzlyjournal said:
This I believe: if either or both Steadman and Gaskin is granted a waiver, it could have a significant instant positive impact on this year's team. Steadman is a classic back-to-the bucket power post with a soft shooting touch shot and I've heard that Gaskin is an active & aggressive defensive player.

I think it is going to be exciting either way. Steadman has one year left either way but I think it would be a shame for Gaskin to lose an entire season of eligibility.

grizzlyjournal said:

From what I have heard, Steadman intends to redshirt and is not even seeking a waiver to play this season.

The article on Gogriz.com about the basketball team says both Gaskin and Steadman will likely have to sit this season

UncleRico said:
grizindabox said:
1m

- 36 have been approved
- 4 have been denied
Those are pretty good odds. Did Steadman apply for waiver too?

76 still under review on Oct 23rd? Maybe it's time for working lunches and overtime.

grizfan1984 said:
The article on Gogriz.com about the basketball team says both Gaskin and Steadman will likely have to sit this season

Said the same thing with Manuel last year just trying to temper expectations in case it doesn’t happen.

grizindabox said:
grizzlyjournal said:

From what I have heard, Steadman intends to redshirt and is not even seeking a waiver to play this season.

I spoke to Steadman at the GRIZ roundball golf tournament. He told me, he will be redshirting. No reason to not believe him. Gaskin told me, he wants to play and is definitely applying for eligibility this season. I like his chances. Plus, there is no reason for LK to deny him. I won't be surprised to see Gaskin playing this season.

UncleRico said:
TrueGriz said:
After watching Gaskin today, I am praying he is granted a waiver.

I agree. This kid can play.

I third this motion. He is THE most-talented player on the Griz roster right now, IMO. He is (or will be) a difference maker.

Zirg said:
UncleRico said:
TrueGriz said:
After watching Gaskin today, I am praying he is granted a waiver.

I agree. This kid can play.

I third this motion. He is THE most-talented player on the Griz roster right now, IMO. He is (or will be) a difference maker.
I think it is a little early to place him ahead of Sayeed. That said, I hope they get to play together, i.e. this year!

Back