• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Lady Griz

grizbro said:
Loved the progress this year but still hear of the locker room unhappiness over the "mind games" played by Shannon. Players favored and others forced to assume situations with no follow up. Playing time and starting positions given out with no backup why. Such as Taylor G. starting for 3 years before her knee injury and then not needed as a starter but inserted and depended on at the end of almost every game...especially the close ones. I think she's learning but not sure how long the "on the job head coach training" should go on. With the talent of the players who have quit or transferred, I know the player coach/player relationship has to improve if she comes back.....especially with the dynamics of having 2 of her daughters on the team next year as well as a Sentinel teammate who, with 3 Division 1 players, couldn't win a state championship. Recipe for drama! Lots to look at.
Only one of those players mentioned had more than one D 1 full ride offers and it wasn't a Shannon daughter. You can look at end of the article Bill Speltz wrote about Gabi and see the latest list of transfers in the last couple years that had eligibility. Go back further. There are more than mentioned in just the Shannon era. Simply girls have about 2 of every 3 leave prior to finishing eligibility status. Just to be happy with basketball somewhere else or to get away from Shannon. Next year I'm going to say we are under experienced again. On the bright side for all you Shannon supporters... one more goes and there is one more Schweyen daughter that can play. Don't laugh.. It could happen. It is an administration nightmare.

Zirg said:
HookedonGriz said:
Will she have to sit a year? I’m guessing not or she probably wouldn’t have done this. Was thinking that an intraconference transfer had special Big Sky rules of sitting a year

There's no special "intraconference transfer" rules. It IS unusual to transfer within the conference, and I can only think of a couple other examples.

Actually there is as outlined directly from the Big Sky. I’ve copied the verbiage below. It sounds like Gabi is doing this as a grad transfer though so it doesn’t apply:

Intra-Conference Transfer Rule

A. In all Big Sky Championship Sports, a student-athlete who receives athletically-related financial aid and transfers directly to another Big Sky Conference member institution must fulfill a residence requirement of one full academic year (two full semesters or three full quarters excluding summer term) before competing. During that period the student-athlete shall not be offered, provided or have arranged directly or indirectly any earned or unearned athletically-related financial aid.

A recruited non-qualifier, although not receiving athletically related aid, is bound by this provision unless released in writing by the Athletic Director of the previous institution.

B. On written petition from the student-athlete clearly explaining all extenuating circumstances and hardships, the Eligibility Committee may waive the year in residency requirement and/or financial aid restriction for an Intra-Conference transfer.
Status

MissoulaCanucksFan said:
HookedonGriz said:
Will she have to sit a year? I’m guessing not or she probably wouldn’t have done this. Was thinking that an intraconference transfer had special Big Sky rules of sitting a year
As far as I know, I don't think the Big Sky has a certain rule about transfers having to sit out a year (pretty sure that's an NCAA rule). I believe Gabi is coming to Idaho as a grad transfer, and in taking advantage of that rule she will be eligible to play right away.

I can think of a couple of other instances for those who transferred to UM from different schools that were not seniors and did not have to sit out a year. Kendal Manuel transferred from Oregon State to UM and he was granted a waiver from the NCAA so he could play on the men's basketball team right away. Same with Robby Hauck on the football team after his father Bobby Hauck returned as head coach. I think the NCAA will grant waivers to those who want play right way if they don't have a redshirt available (Manuel and Hauck used their redshirts at their former schools).

A recent instance where such a waiver was declined was with Naseem Gaskin on the MBB team, after he redshirted his freshman year at Utah in 18-19 before transferring here to UM.

There actually is an intraconference transfer rule in the big sky. However if Gabi is doing this as a grad transfer then it wouldn’t apply. Here’s the info. I remember Robby got approved by Big Sky but then had to wait to get approved from NCAA to play. He needed a release directly from NAU for extenuating circumstances:

A. In all Big Sky Championship Sports, a student-athlete who receives athletically-related financial aid and transfers directly to another Big Sky Conference member institution must fulfill a residence requirement of one full academic year (two full semesters or three full quarters excluding summer term) before competing. During that period the student-athlete shall not be offered, provided or have arranged directly or indirectly any earned or unearned athletically-related financial aid.

A recruited non-qualifier, although not receiving athletically related aid, is bound by this provision unless released in writing by the Athletic Director of the previous institution.

B. On written petition from the student-athlete clearly explaining all extenuating circumstances and hardships, the Eligibility Committee may waive the year in residency requirement and/or financial aid restriction for an Intra-Conference transfer.
Status

HookedonGriz said:
MissoulaCanucksFan said:
HookedonGriz said:
As far as I know, I don't think the Big Sky has a certain rule about transfers having to sit out a year (pretty sure that's an NCAA rule). I believe Gabi is coming to Idaho as a grad transfer, and in taking advantage of that rule she will be eligible to play right away.

I can think of a couple of other instances for those who transferred to UM from different schools that were not seniors and did not have to sit out a year. Kendal Manuel transferred from Oregon State to UM and he was granted a waiver from the NCAA so he could play on the men's basketball team right away. Same with Robby Hauck on the football team after his father Bobby Hauck returned as head coach. I think the NCAA will grant waivers to those who want play right way if they don't have a redshirt available (Manuel and Hauck used their redshirts at their former schools).

A recent instance where such a waiver was declined was with Naseem Gaskin on the MBB team, after he redshirted his freshman year at Utah in 18-19 before transferring here to UM.

There actually is an intraconference transfer rule in the big sky. However if Gabi is doing this as a grad transfer then it wouldn’t apply. Here’s the info. I remember Robby got approved by Big Sky but then had to wait to get approved from NCAA to play. He needed a release directly from NAU for extenuating circumstances:

Status

Thx.

maroonandsilver said:
citay said:
Here's how bad I think it's become for the us:

The Lady Cats will dominate the Lady Griz over the next four years in much the manner our Men's team has dominated theirs.

If we win one game over the next four years, I will be surprised.

That's how good the Cat program has become.

And yet you started this thread advocating for Shannon's extension.

Two things can be true at the same time.

She fully deserves another year to turn it around, for reasons I've stated.

Her chances to do that are slim, for reasons I've stated.

The Bobs are now the premier team in the Big Sky.

citay said:
maroonandsilver said:
citay said:
Here's how bad I think it's become for the us:

The Lady Cats will dominate the Lady Griz over the next four years in much the manner our Men's team has dominated theirs.

If we win one game over the next four years, I will be surprised.

That's how good the Cat program has become.

And yet you started this thread advocating for Shannon's extension.

Two things can be true at the same time.

She fully deserves another year to turn it around, for reasons I've stated.

Her chances to do that are slim, for reasons I've stated.

The Bobs are now the premier team in the Big Sky.

Note that a certain prior interim men's coach was not kept on, after winning the big sky tourney, because it was deemed that he wasn't the right coach to lead the program onward and upward in the future. Again, I don't know enough to have a position on whether the current coach should be extended.

As I have stated previously it makes zero sense to bring her back on a 1 year contract. 3 years or make a change. To those of you who don't think we have the ability to get someone else during this difficult time, just look down the bench a ways and find an assistant who I have always though was brought here last year to be the heir apparent. I am not that close to the program so I may be totally wrong on this last point

I think Shannon should get three more yrs. because if it wasn’t for bad luck in her first four yrs. she wouldn’t have any luck at all. With all the injuries what do you expect? Even this year’s team was not completely healthy. Two starters with knee brace another one with back problems. This team looked like the wounded warriors. Sophia stills was not 100% by a long shot! So 17-13 was not too bad, was it?
Did all of you experts know Binford’s record in her first four yrs. was 49-67? Shannon’s record is 52-69 pretty similar ha? If she is given a chance the program is on the way up! Her recruits think so and I do too!
All of you do know transferring is becoming pretty common don’t you? If not here is a link to show you just how common it is and another link to show you the real reason some of the players you guys mention left. https://wbbblog.com/womens-basketball-transfers-fall-2019-summer-2020/
https://egriz.com/grizboard/viewtopic.php?t=82476

TrueGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
maroonandsilver said:
MissoulaCanucksFan said:
Just seeing that Gabi Harrington is entering the transfer portal is kind of a shock, because I saw her as a likely starter for next season. She had some flashes of great play but had her downs as well. I hope she'll make the most out of wherever she plays next.

Before Harrington entered the transfer portal, a likely starting lineup for 2020-21 would have been: Anderson, Pickens, Schoening, Stiles, and Harrington. With Gabi now out of that equation, it could be a combination of one of Shannon's daughters (Jordyn or Shelby), Kylie Frohlich, Carmen Gfeller, or one of the incoming freshmen taking what would have been Gabi's likely starting spot.

I have no confidence that Stiles will be a major contributor this upcoming year, or if she will even be able to play, given the postponement of her shoulder surgery due to the Corona Virus. Likewise, with Shelby Schweyen, coming off her 4th knee surgery.

The postponing of surges like this due to wanting to keep beds open, is ridiculous. If beds were getting short, then, yes, stop more of the routine stuff.

The Western MT Clinic just laid off people. An employee estimated 100. Seems mysterious to me. I say its because business is down and declining. Including some shooting themselves in the foot.

https://missoulian.com/news/local/western-montana-clinic-lays-off-nurses-staff/article_81d35a50-458d-5a2c-9017-6e9c71813908.html#tracking-source=home-trending

That is somewhat mysterious to me also, but I suspect a lot of those laid off nurses will eventually be rehired back elsewhere to deal with coronavirus cases as a lot of medical doctors and nurses that are handling the disease are getting sick with it.

Also, Stiles was going to have her shoulder done in Florida by the same doctor who performed surgery on her knee. Could be awhile before she gets it done, so I do not think she will be playing much next season.

Sophia Stiles had surgery last Monday in Florida that was called off due to Coronavirus. If she still wants to have her shoulder surgery in Florida with Dr. James Andrews who performed her knee surgery, Florida has over 4,000 coronavirus cases, so her shoulder surgery will likely have to wait quite awhile.

BWahlberg said:
MissoulaCanucksFan said:
Well, we didn't have to wait very long for where Gabi Harrington was heading next...

https://twitter.com/GabiHarrington/status/1243332408486707201

Transferring in-conference to a traditional rival.

Wishing her the best... but ouch. Not a good look.

Not good at all.

Seems to me this program is going from bad to worse on a daily basis. Maybe signing the third daughter will turn the program around. It is evident she is not well liked by players.

Btown said:
Seems to me this program is going from bad to worse on a daily basis. Maybe signing the third daughter will turn the program around. It is evident she is not well liked by players.

This is funny.....hope it’s not true!

Some players have to quit to make room for players like Harlem's L'Tia Lawrence who originally was going to go to Montana - Northern but now coming here instead.

grizbro said:
Btown said:

It is True.

Btown said:

daughter or coach

TrueGriz said:
grizbro said:
Btown said:

It is True.
I know all about the team-coach drama and the mind games Shannon plays. With the first daughter and her high school teammate coming onboard, (note....even though with 3 future D-1 players, they didn't win a state championship) , I think that they added to the comfort zone for the transition from Selvig and the hopeful potential. With all the injuries we had a chance to see them in action early and I feel we all realized they are talented but not the talent that will make the team what we’re used to. Also with the other girls either quitting, leaving or whatever there needs to be some answer to the stability of the team and the coach/player relationship. Now next year, with the loss of the seniors as well as the girls transferring/ already transferred out, we need to know that the Lady Griz are on the upward trend and not looking at another year of trying to develop girls that might not want to be there or deserve to be there.. And as far as the 3rd daughter...I hope their recruiting area extends beyond Sentinel High School. Lots to look at for Haslam.

It’s officially a dumpster fire in that locker room. I’m shocked Haslam is ignoring the obviously glaring issues there. The lady Griz have had more players walk away in the last few years than any other big sky team, men’s or women’s. That’s an issue.

Back