• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Lady Griz

citay said:
TrueGriz said:
Selvig has stated that he recruited players that he felt comfortable with. Could be that he isn't generally comfortable with black women, except that He did allow 3 black players that came due to either referral by another coach or to allow the mens basketball team to recruit a player. Could it be that Shannon inherited that recruiting philosophy?

Of the three black women who've played for the Lady Griz, the first was on the same team as Shannon, when the Lady Griz were making some national noise. I've forgotten her name, but she was referred by a coach in Southern California. Another was Anthony Johnson's wife, who came as part of a package deal--a deal set up by Wayne Tinkle. The third player I believe was actually recruited by us. (Wish I were better on names.)

Sorry history, really.

Vicki Austin was her name. Was with Long Beach State which at the time was at or near the top of women's basketball.

As for the third player, she was Tiana Ware and I do believe she had a verbal commitment with ASU, but ASU didn't honor it but the coach (a former big sky coach) referred her to UM. At least that is what I heard someone say. She may have been recruited by UM though. She really wasn't a good fit with UM's system. Have to be able to play defense and that was her weakness, even though she was the most athletic player on the team.

TrueGriz said:
citay said:
TrueGriz said:
Selvig has stated that he recruited players that he felt comfortable with. Could be that he isn't generally comfortable with black women, except that He did allow 3 black players that came due to either referral by another coach or to allow the mens basketball team to recruit a player. Could it be that Shannon inherited that recruiting philosophy?

Of the three black women who've played for the Lady Griz, the first was on the same team as Shannon, when the Lady Griz were making some national noise. I've forgotten her name, but she was referred by a coach in Southern California. Another was Anthony Johnson's wife, who came as part of a package deal--a deal set up by Wayne Tinkle. The third player I believe was actually recruited by us. (Wish I were better on names.)

Sorry history, really.

Vicki Austin was her name. Was with Long Beach State which at the time was at or near the top of women's basketball. She worked at Sears shoe store in 1992 when I worked there.

As for the third player, she was Tiana Ware and I do believe she had a verbal commitment with ASU, but ASU didn't honor it but the coach (a former big sky coach) referred her to UM. At least that is what I heard someone say. She may have been recruited by UM though. She really wasn't a good fit with UM's system. Have to be able to play defense and that was her weakness, even though she was the most athletic player on the team.

ThinkingGriz said:
Losing good players has become the hallmark of the Shannon era. African American players or not you have to be able to retain players. Don't be surprised if more go. Gabi was one of the better team players. Huge loss! Don't forget Sammy mid season. Could have been our best three point weapons next year. Recruit all the African Americans you want. But they won't stay either with Shannon here.
Mostly surprised Money Ball hasn't jumped on this one.

Well I am sorry your daughter didn't get an offer from the Lady Griz.
I'm sure it's painful but in time you'll both get over it.

Grizzlies1982 said:
ThinkingGriz said:
Losing good players has become the hallmark of the Shannon era. African American players or not you have to be able to retain players. Don't be surprised if more go. Gabi was one of the better team players. Huge loss! Don't forget Sammy mid season. Could have been our best three point weapons next year. Recruit all the African Americans you want. But they won't stay either with Shannon here.

Well I am sorry your daughter didn't get an offer from the Lady Griz.
I'm sure it's painful but in time you'll both get over it.

You are obviously a person who cant handle the truth. Look it up and let me know.

ThinkingGriz said:

The best 3 point shooters on the team all graduated after this past year.

Gabi at 30% at the 3 point line would have been the best one coming back if she didn't enter the transfer portal. But 30.6% is just not very good. Gabi shot around 30% for all 3 years she was here, so I would not expect much better from her next year if she stayed. And Gabi was better than Fatkin, So Fatkin wasn't that good. All the rest of the players were sub 30% 3 point shooters.
I would not expect 3 point shooting to be a strength of the Lady Griz even if Gabi or Fatkin stayed. It may have just became a little worse though, but not by a lot.

TrueGriz said:
ThinkingGriz said:

Gabi at 30% at the 3 point line would have been the best one coming back if she didn't enter the transfer portal. But 30.6% is just not very good. Gabi shot around 30% for all 3 years she was here, so I would not expect much better from her next year if she stayed. And Gabi was better than Fatkin, So Fatkin wasn't that good. All the rest of the players were sub 30% 3 point shooters.
I would not expect 3 point shooting to be a strength of the Lady Griz even if Gabi or Fatkin stayed. It may have just became a little worse though, but not by a lot.

Nice True griz you are on the ball. So now tell me these two things.

The rest of the team all season long shot around a total of 30 threes give or take. Who is going to take up the flag and run with it. It would help if we tried to manufacture open looks.

Also in four years how many girls have left the program as opposed to girls who graduated. That one should blow your doors off. To be clear I am only going to get in a name calling thing with anyone on this. Just trying to provoke conversation and let everyone decide if things sit fine with them.

ThinkingGriz said:
TrueGriz said:
ThinkingGriz said:

The rest of the team all season long shot around a total of 30 threes give or take. Who is going to take up the flag and run with it. It would help if we tried to manufacture open looks.

Also in four years how many girls have left the program as opposed to girls who graduated. That one should blow your doors off. To be clear I am only going to get in a name calling thing with anyone on this. Just trying to provoke conversation and let everyone decide if things sit fine with them.

I think everyone should know it is going to be her daughter Jordan who will take the flag and run with it. She will very likely never leave the program. It would really show how bad off the program is if she left.

ThinkingGriz said:
TrueGriz said:
ThinkingGriz said:

Another problem with consistent transfer outs, etc is if it keeps happening too much and you have more players going out than staying in and graduating, I would think that would begin to muck with the APR, good grades or not.

I could be off base there though.

Also, On the 3 point shooting, Pickens seemed to be pretty solid and if I remember right, the older Scheweyen can knock down 3s as well. I think players just need to stay healthy. * fingers-crossed *

Just seeing that Gabi Harrington is entering the transfer portal is kind of a shock, because I saw her as a likely starter for next season. She had some flashes of great play but had her downs as well. I hope she'll make the most out of wherever she plays next.

Before Harrington entered the transfer portal, a likely starting lineup for 2020-21 would have been: Anderson, Pickens, Schoening, Stiles, and Harrington. With Gabi now out of that equation, it could be a combination of one of Shannon's daughters (Jordyn or Shelby), Kylie Frohlich, Carmen Gfeller, or one of the incoming freshmen taking what would have been Gabi's likely starting spot.

MissoulaMarinerFan said:
ThinkingGriz said:
TrueGriz said:
ThinkingGriz said:

Another problem with consistent transfer outs, etc is if it keeps happening too much and you have more players going out than staying in and graduating, I would think that would begin to muck with the APR, good grades or not.

I could be off base there though.

Also, On the 3 point shooting, Pickens seemed to be pretty solid and if I remember right, the older Scheweyen can knock down 3s as well. I think players just need to stay healthy. * fingers-crossed *

Pickens was a true freshman, so just maybe she can be a good 3 point shooter. but she shot at 28.9% which isn't exactly solid.
Jordan did knock down SOME 3s but shot 25%. But she was only a true freshman then, so just maybe she will get much better.

Nope, based on the past, 3 point shooting just is not likely to be a strength of the Lady Griz. Pickens and Anderson are likely to be a big part of the Lady Griz offense, but it very likely won't be from outside.

Hallmark of Selvig’s teams were they got a lot better over the last half of the season. I think that this is really the first year of Shannon having to go through the season and learn on the job. 1st couple of years injuries decimated any chance the Lady Griz had.

I also think that Selvig was so good for so long that it forced other programs to catch up....which they have. NAU is going to be scary, there are a lot of good coaches in the Big Sky right now.

Tricia was also smart enough to get some very talented and well respected assistant coaches to offset her weaknesses and help her grow.

Shannon has a passion for all things Griz and will continue to grow as a Coach.

MissoulaCanucksFan said:
Just seeing that Gabi Harrington is entering the transfer portal is kind of a shock, because I saw her as a likely starter for next season. She had some flashes of great play but had her downs as well. I hope she'll make the most out of wherever she plays next.

Before Harrington entered the transfer portal, a likely starting lineup for 2020-21 would have been: Anderson, Pickens, Schoening, Stiles, and Harrington. With Gabi now out of that equation, it could be a combination of one of Shannon's daughters (Jordyn or Shelby), Kylie Frohlich, Carmen Gfeller, or one of the incoming freshmen taking what would have been Gabi's likely starting spot.

I have no confidence that Stiles will be a major contributor this upcoming year, or if she will even be able to play, given the postponement of her shoulder surgery due to the Corona Virus. Likewise, with Shelby Schweyen, coming off her 4th knee surgery.

maroonandsilver said:
MissoulaCanucksFan said:

I have no confidence that Stiles will be a major contributor this upcoming year, or if she will even be able to play, given the postponement of her shoulder surgery due to the Corona Virus. Likewise, with Shelby Schweyen, coming off her 4th knee surgery.

The postponing of surgeries like this due to wanting to keep beds open, is ridiculous. If beds were getting short, then, yes, stop more of the routine stuff.

The Western MT Clinic just laid off people. An employee estimated 100. Seems mysterious to me. I say its because business is down and declining. Including some shooting themselves in the foot.

https://missoulian.com/news/local/western-montana-clinic-lays-off-nurses-staff/article_81d35a50-458d-5a2c-9017-6e9c71813908.html#tracking-source=home-trending

PlayerRep said:
maroonandsilver said:
MissoulaCanucksFan said:

The postponing of surges like this due to wanting to keep beds open, is ridiculous. If beds were getting short, then, yes, stop more of the routine stuff.

The Western MT Clinic just laid off people. An employee estimated 100. Seems mysterious to me. I say its because business is down and declining. Including some shooting themselves in the foot.

https://missoulian.com/news/local/western-montana-clinic-lays-off-nurses-staff/article_81d35a50-458d-5a2c-9017-6e9c71813908.html#tracking-source=home-trending

That is somewhat mysterious to me also, but I suspect a lot of those laid off nurses will eventually be rehired back elsewhere to deal with coronavirus cases as a lot of medical doctors and nurses that are handling the disease are getting sick with it.

Also, Stiles was going to have her shoulder done in Florida by the same doctor who performed surgery on her knee. Could be awhile before she gets it done, so I do not think she will be playing much next season.

PlayerRep said:
maroonandsilver said:
MissoulaCanucksFan said:

The postponing of surgeries like this due to wanting to keep beds open, is ridiculous. If beds were getting short, then, yes, stop more of the routine stuff.

It is much more to due with the shortage of medical supplies as opposed to bed numbers currently.

TrueGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
maroonandsilver said:
MissoulaCanucksFan said:

The postponing of surges like this due to wanting to keep beds open, is ridiculous. If beds were getting short, then, yes, stop more of the routine stuff.

That is somewhat mysterious to me also, but I suspect a lot of those laid off nurses will eventually be rehired back elsewhere to deal with coronavirus cases as a lot of medical doctors and nurses that are handling the disease are getting sick with it.

Also, Stiles was going to have her shoulder done in Florida by the same doctor who performed surgery on her knee. Could be awhile before she gets it done, so I do not think she will be playing much next season.

As for WMC, it sounds like major financial issues were already an problem and this outbreak only made it fall into the abyss.

grizindabox said:
TrueGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
maroonandsilver said:

As for WMC, it sounds like major financial issues were already an problem and this outbreak only made it fall into the abyss.

Yes, that is likely the case.

As for keeping the beds open, that isn't a problem here yet, but will likely be later on.

Plus, Stiles is planning on having her shoulder operated on by the doctor in Florida that did operated on her knee. Haven't checked the situation there, but the number of beds open there could be an issue.

TrueGriz said:
grizindabox said:
TrueGriz said:
PlayerRep said:

As for keeping the beds open, that isn't a problem here yet, but will likely be later on.

Plus, Stiles is planning on having her shoulder operated on by the doctor in Florida that did operated on her knee. Haven't checked the situation there, but the number of beds open there could be an issue.

Missoula has over 250 empty beds open now. 6 cases. I don't see there being a bed problem here, unless all hell breaks loose.

https://missoulian.com/news/local/missoula-hospitals-say-set-for-virus-surge/article_6b3939ca-dc8a-5fde-826d-23abe1869b59.html

PlayerRep said:
TrueGriz said:
grizindabox said:
TrueGriz said:

Missoula has over 250 empty beds open now. 6 cases. I don't see there being a bed problem here, unless all hell breaks loose.

https://missoulian.com/news/local/missoula-hospitals-say-set-for-virus-surge/article_6b3939ca-dc8a-5fde-826d-23abe1869b59.html

Okay to hope for the best, but be prepared for all hell breaking loose. It is starting to be that way in the Bozeman area, and cases are starting to climb a little higher in the Billings area. I am keeping my fingers crossed the curve remains very flat in Missoula County. I work in the downtown area and it is pretty much dead there, so people seem to be keeping their distance.

TrueGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
TrueGriz said:
grizindabox said:

Okay to hope for the best, but be prepared for all hell breaking loose. It is starting to be that way in the Bozeman area, and cases are starting to climb a little higher in the Billings area. I am keeping my fingers crossed the curve remains very flat in Missoula County. I work in the downtown area and it is pretty much dead there, so people seem to be keeping their distance.

Cases are climbing, but it appears that there are only 1 or zero people hospitalized. That's good.

Back