• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Lady Griz

HookedonGriz said:
It’s officially a dumpster fire in that locker room. I’m shocked Haslam is ignoring the obviously glaring issues there. The lady Griz have had more players walk away in the last few years than any other big sky team, men’s or women’s. That’s an issue.

Looking at the 2020-21 roster, it is woefully inexperienced. There is Anderson, Pickens and Schoening, with GFeller and Jordan Schweyen coming off red-shirt. That's it. And who knows if some of them will now decide to transfer as well. Stiles surgery is postponed because of the Virus. Shelby Schweyen is coming off her 4th knee surgery with the question if and when she can play. The rest are a passel of incoming freshman who, correct me if I am wrong, none, including Montana Gatoraid POY Keller, had a D-1 offer other than UM. The Team lost a ton of experience with the 3 seniors, and Kenzie Johnston is just irreplaceable. The transfers of Harrington and Frolich this past week is one more kick in the gut.
The hiring freeze by the BOR may be all that is keeping Shannon employed. If all these players are leaving because of the coach, and it appears that is so, the Lady Griz might be better off with NO COACH!. Or fire Shannon and hire Nate Coville as he is currently on staff!

maroonandsilver said:
HookedonGriz said:
It’s officially a dumpster fire in that locker room. I’m shocked Haslam is ignoring the obviously glaring issues there. The lady Griz have had more players walk away in the last few years than any other big sky team, men’s or women’s. That’s an issue.

Looking at the 2020-21 roster, it is woefully inexperienced. There is Anderson, Pickens and Schoening, with GFeller and Jordan Schweyen coming off red-shirt. That's it. And who knows if some of them will now decide to transfer as well. Stiles surgery is postponed because of the Virus. Shelby Schweyen is coming off her 4th knee surgery with the question if and when she can play. The rest are a passel of incoming freshman who, correct me if I am wrong, none, including Montana Gatoraid POY Keller, had a D-1 offer other than UM. The Team lost a ton of experience with the 3 seniors, and Kenzie Johnston is just irreplaceable. The transfers of Harrington and Frolich this past week is one more kick in the gut.
The hiring freeze by the BOR may be all that is keeping Shannon employed. If all these players are leaving because of the coach, and it appears that is so, the Lady Griz might be better off with NO COACH!. Or fire Shannon and hire Nate Coville as he is currently on staff!

I agree!! Let Shannon ride out her contract and let her go! But make that known to the players now. Best case scenario at this point and may get the girls leaving to come back. The leadership has been broken the day Shannon stepped into the head coaching roll. Anderson had serious injury last year with her shoulder. She may need surgery. Schoening playing with the aid of shots in back to control pain. And we all know about Sophia. BTW I heard that she is having surgery in Billings this week. Somewhat confident on the source. Shelby is off surgery 3 I believe and if she has to make up minutes because of lost players she is headed to her fourth. And by my count Shannon is 5 and 18 at this point in just 4 years. 5 players stay until the end of their career. 18 leave with eligibility. I'm certain Shannon doesn't view it as something she did or didn't do. It will take several years to repair the damage Shannon has caused. Kent should fire her today. it is inevitable that he will have to someday.

ThinkingGriz said:
maroonandsilver said:
HookedonGriz said:

I agree!! Let Shannon ride out her contract and let her go! But make that known to the players now. Best case scenario at this point and may get the girls leaving to come back. The leadership has been broken the day Shannon stepped into the head coaching roll. Anderson had serious injury last year with her shoulder. She may need surgery. Schoening playing with the aid of shots in back to control pain. And we all know about Sophia. BTW I heard that she is having surgery in Billings this week. Somewhat confident on the source. Shelby is off surgery 3 I believe and if she has to make up minutes because of lost players she is headed to her fourth. And by my count Shannon is 5 and 18 at this point in just 4 years. 5 players stay until the end of their career. 18 leave with eligibility. I'm certain Shannon doesn't view it as something she did or didn't do. It will take several years to repair the damage Shannon has caused. Kent should fire her today. it is inevitable that he will have to someday.

Not saying your source is wrong, but the knee surgery isn't a "Life threatening" surgery, and that is all that is allowed in Montana right now (from what I was told by Doctors in Billings, Bozeman, Missoula, and Kalispell because of the chest surgery my son needs and can't get because it isn't "Life threatening")

SACCAT66 said:
ThinkingGriz said:
maroonandsilver said:
HookedonGriz said:

Not saying your source is wrong, but the knee surgery isn't a "Life threatening" surgery, and that is all that is allowed in Montana right now (from what I was told by Doctors in Billings, Bozeman, Missoula, and Kalispell because of the chest surgery my son needs and can't get because it isn't "Life threatening")

The stiles surgery is a shoulder just FYI. Doesn’t change what you said, but just letting you know it’s not her knee

HookedonGriz said:
SACCAT66 said:
ThinkingGriz said:
maroonandsilver said:

The stiles surgery is a shoulder just FYI. Doesn’t change what you said, but just letting you know it’s not her knee

My bad, did she have knee surgery as well in the past? Why am I thinking she did.

SACCAT66 said:
HookedonGriz said:
SACCAT66 said:
ThinkingGriz said:

My bad, did she have knee surgery as well in the past? Why am I thinking she did.

Yes, ACL. From later in her frosh year. She sat the next year, to finish recovering. She wears a big brace.

PlayerRep said:
SACCAT66 said:
HookedonGriz said:
SACCAT66 said:

Yes, ACL. From later in her frosh year. She sat the next year, to finish recovering. She wears a big brace.

Well, there you go... I am only half a jackass. Back to the point of the thread, as a bobcat fan, I hope you sign her for another 4 years.

SACCAT66 said:
ThinkingGriz said:
maroonandsilver said:
HookedonGriz said:

It's Sophia's shoulder that I was referring to and I may be wrong on it being done. I have known about the scheduling on this for a while now and things could have changed. This could take out Sophia until mid season if that"s the case. I feel for you and your son. I hope he can get what he needs soon.

I went through the roster going back to the 2016-2017 season. Here is a list of players that were not on the roster the following year. I also included the year in school they were last listed.

2019-2020 Gabi Harrington JR
Kylie Frohlich SO
2018-2019 Sammy Fatkin SO (Left the middle of 19-20 season but was taken off the roster)
Katie Mayhue FR
Lee Camel SO
2017-2018 Sierra Anderson JR
Nora Klick FR
Hailey Nicholson SO
Caitlin Longergan SO
2016-2017 Jare Mane FR
Henny Hearn FR

Over 4 years there has been an average of 2.75 players that have left the team for one reason or another and who knows there might be more coming. Given that the women's program tends to have a longer bench and most of the ladies play every game, the depth and experience each year are hurt by this much turnover. The first four on the list may have been the bulk of the starting lineup next year.
There is also the cost associated. If the staff has to recruit for the same scholarship every one to two years, those can build pretty high.

I'm sure there are many reasons these ladies left but the fact of the matter is that there is no way a school like UM can build a program relying on Freshman and Sophomores playing so many minutes each year then leaving. Unfortunately this has become a trend the past four years and I am in the camp that leadership has to change. If there is no change the program is going to get worse before it gets better.

maroonandsilver said:
HookedonGriz said:

You want a program to free fall, hire Nate Covill. If Shannon is fired, BOR would allow UM to hire a replacement. IMO assistants at Gonzaga, Oregon could be interested in opening considering "current" fan base.

Here is one, what happened to Lee Camel? Saw her on the bench at one point, never saw her touch the floor game time.

MTbest said:
Here is one, what happened to Lee Camel? Saw her on the bench at one point, never saw her touch the floor game time.

She played in garbage time in 1 game. Was 1 for 2 from the free throw line. There were other times at the end of games when Shannon could have played her and didn't. I thought that was crappy. She put in the practice time, she should have been rewarded.

westsider said:
maroonandsilver said:
HookedonGriz said:

You want a program to free fall, hire Nate Covill. If Shannon is fired, BOR would allow UM to hire a replacement. IMO assistants at Gonzaga, Oregon could be interested in opening considering "current" fan base.
[/quote

The program is already in free fall.

maroonandsilver said:
MTbest said:

She played in garbage time in 1 game. Was 1 for 2 from the free throw line. There were other times at the end of games when Shannon could have played her and didn't. I thought that was crappy. She put in the practice time, she should have been rewarded.

Life of a walk-on.

westsider said:
maroonandsilver said:
HookedonGriz said:

I'll bite. What is the problem with Covill? I had heard pretty good things about him as a coach. Granted I don't follow it terribly closely. Just curious.

A close look at the Lady Griz departures over the Schweyen years suggests that the early departures were clearly not the fault of the coach. Alycia Sims, Kayleigh Valley, Nora Klick, and Henny Hearn all left because of career-ending injuries. Sierra Anderson and Caitlin Anderson left to concentrate on academics. Jaree Mane appears to have left to concentrate on track and field. She’s a senior and would have competed this year. Hailey Nicholson got plenty of playing time at UM. She said her transfer to MSUN was to be closer to home (Malta) and to play with her sister, who was an MSUN recruit. Lee Camel was a walk-on.
None of that seems to reflect poorly on the coach. But the unexplained departures of Katie Mayhue, Sammi Fatkin, Gabi Harrington, and Kylie Froelich certainly raise questions. I think there are lots of factors that might have motivated Harrington to move on. She is a rising fifth-year senior who has certainly paid her dues. Remember, she played as a true freshman and then red-shirted for a year, which must have been kind of a tough pill to swallow. Like every mid-major player, playing in the Big Dance was certainly a big goal. Could reasonably say that 2020 was the best chance for the LG to make it in her career, with Johnston, Stockholm, and Goligoski. Comparing next season’s LG with the Vandals, a reasonable observer could certainly have a lot more confidence in winning the league at Idaho. But, losing a starting role to a player who hadn’t played in a game in a year and a half, and then seeing her PT shrink, certainly would have helped things along. Sad, because I think if Harrington stays healthy she’s going to be a star in the league next year.
No one knows for sure why Mayhue, Fatkin, Harrington, and Froelich decided to leave. But it certainly raises a question that needed investigation, which should have included exit interviews with the departed/departing players and frank talks with team members on the current roster. I can’t imagine Haslam pulling the trigger on this decision without this kind of due diligence. I suspect he had those talks and disliked what he heard enough to make the move.
I enjoyed having a LG legend as the head coach the last four years. But I also grew tired of this season’s team blowing late leads in games they should have won, Idaho, MSU, NAU at the tournament among others. It’s also hard to watch a talented team make the same errors over and over again, missed layups, poor mid-range shooting, and poor perimeter defense being the primary ones. I hope Hallam can stay in the LG family in hiring a new coach, but principally I hope he finds someone who can right the ship and bring back the winning tradition.

bearister said:
A close look at the Lady Griz departures over the Schweyen years suggests that the early departures were clearly not the fault of the coach. Alycia Sims, Kayleigh Valley, Nora Klick, and Henny Hearn all left because of career-ending injuries. Sierra Anderson and Caitlin Anderson left to concentrate on academics. Jaree Mane appears to have left to concentrate on track and field. She’s a senior and would have competed this year. Hailey Nicholson got plenty of playing time at UM. She said her transfer to MSUN was to be closer to home (Malta) and to play with her sister, who was an MSUN recruit. Lee Camel was a walk-on.
None of that seems to reflect poorly on the coach. But the unexplained departures of Katie Mayhue, Sammi Fatkin, Gabi Harrington, and Kylie Froelich certainly raise questions. I think there are lots of factors that might have motivated Harrington to move on. She is a rising fifth-year senior who has certainly paid her dues. Remember, she played as a true freshman and then red-shirted for a year, which must have been kind of a tough pill to swallow. Like every mid-major player, playing in the Big Dance was certainly a big goal. Could reasonably say that 2020 was the best chance for the LG to make it in her career, with Johnston, Stockholm, and Goligoski. Comparing next season’s LG with the Vandals, a reasonable observer could certainly have a lot more confidence in winning the league at Idaho. But, losing a starting role to a player who hadn’t played in a game in a year and a half, and then seeing her PT shrink, certainly would have helped things along. Sad, because I think if Harrington stays healthy she’s going to be a star in the league next year.
No one knows for sure why Mayhue, Fatkin, Harrington, and Froelich decided to leave. But it certainly raises a question that needed investigation, which should have included exit interviews with the departed/departing players and frank talks with team members on the current roster. I can’t imagine Haslam pulling the trigger on this decision without this kind of due diligence. I suspect he had those talks and disliked what he heard enough to make the move.
I enjoyed having a LG legend as the head coach the last four years. But I also grew tired of this season’s team blowing late leads in games they should have won, Idaho, MSU, NAU at the tournament among others. It’s also hard to watch a talented team make the same errors over and over again, missed layups, poor mid-range shooting, and poor perimeter defense being the primary ones. I hope Hallam can stay in the LG family in hiring a new coach, but principally I hope he finds someone who can right the ship and bring back the winning tradition.

👍

grizbro said:
bearister said:

👍

Goligoski would probably be the next player to hit the road if she had eligibility left.. she went thru the same thing with her knee injury. Starting for 3 years and then put down the bench when she returned with no explanation why or any possibility of regaining status...just told “that’s your role now”. However she kept her in at the end of most games because needed her then for defense, free throws and 3 pt. Never was explained why she could be so important at the end of the game but not at the beginning 🤔. Mind games like that doomed Shannon.

Back