• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

LadyGriz Lady Griz Recruiting: 2024+

Her Xavier Bio mentions rehab. Anyone know what that refers to?
She had a "season-ending" injury in Dec. of 2022 (her second game) of her senior year. The article is in the Minneapolis Star Trib, behind a pay-gate. I'm going on info in the header-subhead of the Trib article.
Evidently she did continue pre-season rehab at Xavier... approx 8-9 months after the injury.

She had a "season-ending" injury in Dec. of 2022 (her second game) of her senior year. The article is in the Minneapolis Star Trib, behind a pay-gate. I'm going on info in the header-subhead of the Trib article.
Evidently she did continue pre-season rehab at Xavier... approx 8-9 months after the injury.

Scored over 1,600 points the first three years of her hs career; averaging about 21.8 ppg. This for Section IAAA Kasson-Mantorville, Minnesota.

New Zealand is starting to produce some serious talent in the WBB game. Steven Adams has invested a lot of time and money in youth basketball in that country. Lots of the surrounding BSC JUCO teams are filled with NZ players.

Internationals appreciate the JUCO opportunity it seems more than most American WBB player when considering college options. Depending on location of JUCO of course. But Region 9 and Region 18 teams are filled with internationals.

Australia has been sending players JUCO/4 Yr for years, but now NZ seems to be catching up in this area. Other areas sending lots of talent to colleges are Spain, France and Brazil is even starting to find a footing in the US as well. Elusive BIGS are where internationals really pay off. Think Natabou from Sac a few years back. Her journey is crazy. But was a very effective BSC big.

The LG taping into some international connections is not a bad route.

Her film looks impressive:

Roster is shaping up pretty nicely - will be a pretty young team.
It'll be interesting to see if these foreign connections will begin to pan out. The gal from Germany was a miss and the other guard from Greece was a miss. Tsineke hailed from Greece but was at East Carolina before UM - and has been the only one that has sorta worked out. I guess Konig is technically a recruit from Canada, but played most of her high school ball in the States if I remember correctly.

The 406 MT Sports article said she played Rugby for her prep school. I'm curious about what rugby traits - outside of grit/toughness/hustle - would translate to basketball. I never played rugby and haven't watched much, so I'd be curious to know if the athletic movements in rugby would translate to the basketball court. Maybe @mthoopsfan could shed some light?

It'll be interesting to see if these foreign connections will begin to pan out. The gal from Germany was a miss and the other guard from Greece was a miss. Tsineke hailed from Greece but was at East Carolina before UM - and has been the only one that has sorta worked out. I guess Konig is technically a recruit from Canada, but played most of her high school ball in the States if I remember correctly.

The 406 MT Sports article said she played Rugby for her prep school. I'm curious about what rugby traits - outside of grit/toughness/hustle - would translate to basketball. I never played rugby and haven't watched much, so I'd be curious to know if the athletic movements in rugby would translate to the basketball court. Maybe @mthoopsfan could shed some light?
Spacing and constant movement are two similarities between the two. having to play man to man defense and zone concepts are also comparisons.

Internationals without being watched live are always a risk. However, when you can go over and watch live it makes a huge difference. Plus the handler is always important in internationals. Handlers are always key when recruiting top international talent.

I believe Holsinger did a lot of international recruiting for Washington State and seemed to do a fair amount at OSU (mostly to fill holes in the roster).

At Montana, like OSU, he’s seemed to mostly use it to fill gaps in the roster (ex. Polymeni and Kiefer).

It seems like, if healthy, Zingaro could be a really solid Big Sky post player. I’ll be interested to see how the guard rotation settles. Obviously a ton of production to make up for across the roster.

I went to school with a kiwi in the early 80s that excelled at basketball, rugby and cricket. He could’ve played any of them in college but stuck with rugby eventually playing for the All-Blacks.

I was just going by the number on the jersey in the photo of McCliment-Call which was number 2. You'd think they would use a jersey with a number that isn't used by another player. And they do not have the men's roster updated yet.

Lady Griz signed a guard from New Zealand recently. So now we have an Aussie and a Kiwi on the roster.

Looks like the leading scorer of the FIBA Basketball Oceania U17 Championship Series was a Malia Jae Ruud from Chiawana High School in Pasco, Washington, representing Samoa. Second was a 6'2" Saffron Shiels of Australia (#6) and Lene of NZ was third in scoring with 6'4" Lara Somfai of Australia (#8) fifth:

Championship Game between Australia and New Zealand wherein Lene was wearing #11 for the New Zealand team:
One of the few times I've seen players of both teams even, shake hands with the referees. Wonder if having crowds of two to four thousand attending home games might entice other players from 'Down Under' to come to Missoula to play. Game atmosphere and appreciation and all that.

Last edited:
Back