• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

LadyGriz Lady Griz Recruiting: 2024+

Looks like the leading scorer of the FIBA Basketball Oceania U17 Championship Series was a Malia Jae Ruud from Chiawana High School in Pasco, Washington, representing Samoa. Second was a 6'2" Saffron Shiels of Australia (#6) and Lene of NZ was third in scoring with 6'4" Lara Somfai of Australia (#8) fifth:

Championship Game between Australia and New Zealand wherein Lene was wearing #11 for the New Zealand team:
One of the few times I've seen players of both teams even, shake hands with the referees. Wonder if having crowds of two to four thousand attending home games might entice other players from 'Down Under' to come to Missoula to play. Game atmosphere and appreciation and all that.
Ruud is an interesting prospect. 6'2 can shoot it, post and has really good instincts. Has a slew of offers from P5 to LM. Mom played ar UW.

As far as the ladies coming from NZ and Australia to UM. Maybe one of the new coaches will be used strictly for international recruiting. Many staffs have someone that has a diverse recruiting background and they are used to bring in players from International countries.

If you look at the trend in the NBA internationals are starting to get a footing in the % playing in the league. The womens game won't take long to catch up to that trend. Already taking place in college game. If WNBA ever had the chance to pay more to players we could see that take place there too.

Internationals come with a different mindset when provided opportunities in US. They approach the game and opportunity differently and many don't come with the baggage (parents and bad habits) that US players do.

Just our 2 cents.

Looks like the leading scorer of the FIBA Basketball Oceania U17 Championship Series was a Malia Jae Ruud from Chiawana High School in Pasco, Washington, representing Samoa. Second was a 6'2" Saffron Shiels of Australia (#6) and Lene of NZ was third in scoring with 6'4" Lara Somfai of Australia (#8) fifth:

Championship Game between Australia and New Zealand wherein Lene was wearing #11 for the New Zealand team:
One of the few times I've seen players of both teams even, shake hands with the referees. Wonder if having crowds of two to four thousand attending home games might entice other players from 'Down Under' to come to Missoula to play. Game atmosphere and appreciation and all that.
Nice to see basketball catching on. When I went to school in NZ, it was a varsity sport but lagged behind rugby, cricket and soccer. The Internet has been a plus as it has introduced Kiwis to the world.

Should’ve seen me trying to explain baseball and football to them. Mates at school thought football was pansy because they wore pads - and then I eventually took one to a bowl game. The year I was there, the Super Bowl was delayed video of each play. Quite strange to listen to commentary by friends who had no idea what was going on.

Eventually we played both baseball and football, with wrong equipment but they got the general idea. Couple of them are now big 49ers fans.

Don't know if a comparison can be made, perhaps yes maybe not, whatever; to be seen, I guess. But the University of Santa Clara had four players on their roster last year (2023-24) from Australia. One of them a 5'10" sophomore Tess Heal has started each game she's been a Bronco since she stepped foot on the court; averaged 17.6 ppg as a freshman. As a sophomore she averaged 19.5 ppg on 87 % FT shooting, 46 % from treys and 46 % FG shooting for a team that went 25 - 9 last year with victories over the likes of Boise State, Oregon, Pacific, Hawaii, Sacramento State and Arizona State < https://santaclarabroncos.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster/8413 Pretty lofty stats for a shooting/combo guard.

Last edited:
Don't know if a comparison can be made, perhaps yes maybe not, whatever; to be seen, I guess. But the University of Santa Clara had four players on their roster last year (2023-24) from Australia. One of them a 5'10" sophomore Tess Heal has started each game she's been a Bronco since she stepped foot on the court; averaged 17.6 ppg as a freshman. As a sophomore she averaged 19.5 ppg on 87 % FT shooting, 46 % from treys and 46 % FG shooting for a team that went 25 - 9 last year with victories over the likes of Boise State, Oregon, Pacific, Hawaii, Sacramento State and Arizona State < https://santaclarabroncos.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster/8413 Pretty lofty stats for a shooting/combo guard.
Santa Clara lost their top returners to the portal. If I am not mistaken, Marya was someone Holsinger recruited. Friend of the Huards.

Lara Edmanson, 6′, G, Sr. (7.7 ppg, 3.7 rpg) Villanova

Marya Hudgins, 6′, G, Soph. (7.7 ppg, 5.4 rpg) BYU

Tess Heal, 5’10, G, Soph. (19.5 ppg, 3.9 rpg, 4.9 apg) Stanford

Back