• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Season Recap and Looking Forward

We are all going to be different philosophically when it comes to we think ideally is the best fit here...

I have heard some chatter to know that the athletic department preferred coaches who had experience recruiting at the D1 level. That doesn't necessarily exclude JC coaches, but if I were to read the tea leaves it just suggests they want coaches with established higher level recruiting connections. The Holsinger model might be a good baseline to have some vision as to where they may want to go with it.

I don't think they have the ability to purge the whole roster, but I do think a coach with some established connections can infuse talent (particularly on the mound) and the roster becomes day one more competitive than it was last year.

Talking to someone just after Mel resigned, said the pitching was low level JC and it colored everything else. They said that you could bring in two pitchers who were at least competitive at the BSC level and suddenly and you could improve by 5 to 10 wins. That is the instant improvement that I think we all want, but you can't really control who applies let alone what you can recruit in a 6-10 week period for next years roster.

We are all going to be different philosophically when it comes to we think ideally is the best fit here...

I have heard some chatter to know that the athletic department preferred coaches who had experience recruiting at the D1 level. That doesn't necessarily exclude JC coaches, but if I were to read the tea leaves it just suggests they want coaches with established higher level recruiting connections. The Holsinger model might be a good baseline to have some vision as to where they may want to go with it.

I don't think they have the ability to purge the whole roster, but I do think a coach with some established connections can infuse talent (particularly on the mound) and the roster becomes day one more competitive than it was last year.

Talking to someone just after Mel resigned, said the pitching was low level JC and it colored everything else. They said that you could bring in two pitchers who were at least competitive at the BSC level and suddenly and you could improve by 5 to 10 wins. That is the instant improvement that I think we all want, but you can't really control who applies let alone what you can recruit in a 6-10 week period for next years roster.

You know, and I know, there a plethora of BSC caliber pitchers playing down who would jump at any chance to play DI softball. Go get them, or bring in someone who can take them with him/her.

I think it's funny everyone has now moved into the pitching! They were not mid-level JC! The pitch calling was atrocious, defense was below sub par, and offense was at a JC level at best. Point fingers at COACHING, I heard they want a coach that can recruit in the Northwest, you need to recruit CA and AZ, find girls that have competed at the highest level of club ball. The girls that have played Stith, Tyson, Mathis and Mercado. Bottom line, coaching hurt the team. Out of the three transfers, ones going to U of W, another probably to the Mountain West.

I think it's funny everyone has now moved into the pitching! They were not mid-level JC! The pitch calling was atrocious, defense was below sub par, and offense was at a JC level at best. Point fingers at COACHING, I heard they want a coach that can recruit in the Northwest, you need to recruit CA and AZ, find girls that have competed at the highest level of club ball. The girls that have played Stith, Tyson, Mathis and Mercado. Bottom line, coaching hurt the team. Out of the three transfers, ones going to U of W, another probably to the Mountain West.
The coaching may not have been great but blaming an ERA over 8 and WHIP well over 2 on the pitch calling is a bit of a stretch. If you think the offense was bad..you should have been here last year…hoooo boy that was rough.

If you heard that they’re wanting a coach that can recruit the NW, then the problem is the AD. That’s fuqing stupid cus that’s what we’ve already had. How reliable is your source?

Coaching experience at the Division I level
Head coaching experience
Experience recruiting in the Northwest
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE:

Bachelor’s Degree
Minimum of 4 years collegiate softball coaching experience
Proven ability to recruit high quality student-athletes
Effective interpersonal communication skills
Knowledge and experience with NCAA rules and regulations
Ability to work with a wide variety of people
Strong organizational skills

I'm not a big number of post type of guy, but there are a lot people on here who have been questioning certain actions of the staff for two years far before you showed up today, a month after the staff got dismissed.

I am not going to question motive, because we all have different perspectives here, but there are several things that are abundantly clear for those who have been here:

1. The talent level wasn't up to BSC level.
2. Administrative decisions have made recruiting the PNW a requirement with restricted recruiting budgets and current scholarship restrictions.
3. The staff was given this year, in part because of pandemic/covid related issues that impacted the softball program probably more severely than most.
4. The staff was not able to optimize the roster within those constraints and struggled to get a toehold in california post-covid. They weren't quick to identify problems before they became acute.
5. There are several of us, including grizzlyjournal and a few others who would classify themselves as boosters of the program and have invested a lot time and effort in the program over the past decade or so. We are all invested in the program, want to see success and many of know the staff personally.

We'll take observations because more the merrier.

Bout time we move on.

Until directives changes about scholarship allocations, the program has to win on talent in the PNW and that is why that is a focus of the search. The scholarships go much, much further. They are looking at D1 assistants from Power 5 conferences who were on their list, as well as a few former D1 head coaches in the region who have had success at our level. I haven't been privy to who the two finalists are, but I was given the impression the application pool checked a lot of boxes and had a lot of highly qualified candidates.

I think we'll hear early next week given that I do believe they have interviewed or will do so in the coming days.

Been preaching this for 3 years. Coaching has been abysmal. See my breakdown on stolen bases and success rates as well as bunting vs other Big Sky program. We are the outlier and not in a good way.

Rylee Rehbein in the portal now. Leaves the Griz with only two pitchers next season. Did the slow search for a new coach cost the Griz another pitcher?

Rylee Rehbein in the portal now. Leaves the Griz with only two pitchers next season. Did the slow search for a new coach cost the Griz another pitcher?
They had two in for interviews. Sounds like they might favor the D-2 coach from California, who is a woman. But that is speculation.

Who is the D2 coach?

Warning! Channeling my inner @Grizfan-24 energy here with the post length! 😅

Using my vast google searching of "D2 Softball Schools, California" here are the ones I could find info about and I've taken the liberty of grouping them as "more likely" and "less likely" targets. This is just straight-up speculation on my part. BUT! Here we go!

More Likely:

Brie Campbell - just wrapped up best season ever for the program, 44 wins and had 39 wins in 2022. Their program has played regionalish to MT programs, southern oregon and carroll college - spent all of playing career and coaching career so far in CA

Angel Shamblin - 15 years at current program, excellent 423-232 record. Since 2016 her record has been 247-102 a .707 winning percentage. The season after covid lead a team with 13 freshman to a 37-17 record.

Geena Garabedian - not much info, but at previous D2 stop, lead team to highest win total in prog history and has coached multiple travel ball age groups in Fresno and Oakland

Carrie Webber - lots of experience at D2 and 5 years at a JC. Overall record of 610-432 - last 3 years has won 35, 34 and 31 games in 2010's high watermarks of 42-11, 40-19 and 40-12

Dee Payan - has been an HC since 2019 - so has experience with Covid fallout/pivoting - okay record - 93-80

Clair Sua-Amundson - 10 years of D1 experience (Cal Poly, Stanford, CSU-Fullerton) spent time as associate hc at Stanford, played college at UCLA. Been HC since 2016, not a great record of 86-144

Less Likely:

Crystal Rosenthal heads up this group because they've been there forever and are also the schools AD - I doubt movement happens here - has been HC since 2009, overall record of 693-181-2, last 4 years has won 34, 46, 48 and 39 games

Jennifer Bridges another that has been at their program forever - 13 years as HC at current school, 429-236-1 overall record. Went 42-18 in 2022. No data for 2023.

Aja Scheuber - looks to have been a HC for only a couple years so far, lower winning percentage but some D1 assistant experience

Megan Corriea - unlikely just hired at current program but won coach of the year 4 times (2012, 2017, 2021, 2023) as the HC at southwestern oregon

Juliana Santos - been hc since 2016 - looks like overall record isn't great, but hard to tell because there isn't much info

Skylynne Ellazar - only 1 year at current position, 13-27 record

Alicia Reid - been HC since 2017, overall record of 126-118 - best year was 2019 with a 39-20 record. 2022 was 23-30, 2023 was 27-23.

Warning! Channeling my inner @Grizfan-24 energy here with the post length! 😅

Using my vast google searching of "D2 Softball Schools, California" here are the ones I could find info about and I've taken the liberty of grouping them as "more likely" and "less likely" targets. This is just straight-up speculation on my part. BUT! Here we go!

More Likely:

Brie Campbell - just wrapped up best season ever for the program, 44 wins and had 39 wins in 2022. Their program has played regionalish to MT programs, southern oregon and carroll college - spent all of playing career and coaching career so far in CA

Angel Shamblin - 15 years at current program, excellent 423-232 record. Since 2016 her record has been 247-102 a .707 winning percentage. The season after covid lead a team with 13 freshman to a 37-17 record.

Geena Garabedian - not much info, but at previous D2 stop, lead team to highest win total in prog history and has coached multiple travel ball age groups in Fresno and Oakland

Carrie Webber - lots of experience at D2 and 5 years at a JC. Overall record of 610-432 - last 3 years has won 35, 34 and 31 games in 2010's high watermarks of 42-11, 40-19 and 40-12

Dee Payan - has been an HC since 2019 - so has experience with Covid fallout/pivoting - okay record - 93-80

Clair Sua-Amundson - 10 years of D1 experience (Cal Poly, Stanford, CSU-Fullerton) spent time as associate hc at Stanford, played college at UCLA. Been HC since 2016, not a great record of 86-144

Less Likely:

Crystal Rosenthal heads up this group because they've been there forever and are also the schools AD - I doubt movement happens here - has been HC since 2009, overall record of 693-181-2, last 4 years has won 34, 46, 48 and 39 games

Jennifer Bridges another that has been at their program forever - 13 years as HC at current school, 429-236-1 overall record. Went 42-18 in 2022. No data for 2023.

Aja Scheuber - looks to have been a HC for only a couple years so far, lower winning percentage but some D1 assistant experience

Megan Corriea - unlikely just hired at current program but won coach of the year 4 times (2012, 2017, 2021, 2023) as the HC at southwestern oregon

Juliana Santos - been hc since 2016 - looks like overall record isn't great, but hard to tell because there isn't much info

Skylynne Ellazar - only 1 year at current position, 13-27 record

Alicia Reid - been HC since 2017, overall record of 126-118 - best year was 2019 with a 39-20 record. 2022 was 23-30, 2023 was 27-23.
Wow. A lot of research on this MissoulaMarinerFan! The name that stood out for me was Chico State coach Angel Shamblin. I say that only because GrizBB Assoc. Chris Cobb was with the Chico men's basketball program before joining the Griz. He would certainly know Shamblin.

Idk why people won’t say who the finalists are if they know who they are. I find that to be a bit selfish, especially since we’re all behind screen names and no one knows anyone’s real names on here

Back