• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Indoor practice facility

Griz til I die said:
https://leg.mt.gov/bills/2023/billpdf/HB0005.pdf
Also I see the cats are asking the legislature for $15 million for their indoor practice facility. So much for 100% privately fundraised! It's on page 19 in case you're wondering

I swear to Christ if that happens I’ll be so freaking irate. Either fund it yourself or piss off MSU. I wish I had more say in where my taxes go so that not one cent went to that nonsense

Authorize means the legislature grants MSU the authority to spend the money and build the facility, but is not allocating any state money. Like UM, MSU will need to raise the money.

MoMan said:
Authorize means the legislature grants MSU the authority to spend the money and build the facility, but is not allocating any state money. Like UM, MSU will need to raise the money.

Authorize doesn't necessary mean that. You need to look further, to see who will pay for the amount. Please advise us.

MoMan said:
Except it’s not authority only. Nowhere in that section of the bill does it say its authority only. It’s under the same section that UM’s Forestry building was under 2 years ago that gave us the money for the project.

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
Griz til I die said:
https://leg.mt.gov/bills/2023/billpdf/HB0005.pdf
Also I see the cats are asking the legislature for $15 million for their indoor practice facility. So much for 100% privately fundraised! It's on page 19 in case you're wondering

I swear to Christ if that happens I’ll be so freaking irate. Either fund it yourself or piss off MSU. I wish I had more say in where my taxes go so that not one cent went to that nonsense
Unfortunately it’s one of the major budget bills and they’re not gonna kill a 40+ page state budget bill because of one line in the entire bill. And it’s way too late in the game to get that part removed from the bill.

Who put up the bucks, apparently all private, for the Indoor Practice Facility? I assume some was peeled off from the GSA, but most of it couldn't have been.

NEW SECTION. Section 1. Definitions. As used in [sections 1 through 1011], unless the context
21 clearly indicates otherwise, the following definitions apply:
22 (1) "Authority only" means approval provided by the legislature to expend money that does not
23 require an appropriation, including grants, donations, auxiliary funds, proprietary funds, nonstate funds, and
24 university funds.

example with item just above the IPF.

MUS UM Adams Center - Student Athlete Locker Rooms
7 6,000,000 6,000,000

Griz til I die said:
Except it’s not authority only. Nowhere in that section of the bill does it say its authority only. It’s under the same section that UM’s Forestry building was under 2 years ago that gave us the money for the project.

Um, yes it is. Under which column heading do we find the $15,000,000 for the MSU practice facility? I’ll help you out — “AUTHORITY ONLY SOURCES.” Holy moly.

Wow I bet bubcatmation must get a ton of new members signing up everyday. With all those transplants moving to town, and how funny and entertaining and welcoming the old curmudgeons who survived the streak are, I bet new members are lining up all the way around the sonny thee elder statue, huh?

81Hog said:
Griz til I die said:

Um, yes it is. Under which column heading do we find the $15,000,000 for the MSU practice facility? I’ll help you out — “AUTHORITY ONLY SOURCES.” Holy moly.
"Section 3. Capital development projects appropriations and authorizations. (1) The following money is appropriated to the department of administration for the indicated capital development projects from the indicated sources."

Section 1 of the bill is the only section of the bill that mentions authorize. The cats IPF along with the UM Clapp Building renovation, McGill Hall expansion and a few other projects including msu's new school of computing all reside under this same section together. So if what you are saying is true that this section is Authority Only then UM is being authorized to raise $40 million for the Clapp Building renovation, how in the world do you think they're gonna be able to raise $40 million for one of the worst buildings on campus? Start on page 12 where section 3 starts and follow it all the way down because nowhere does the word authorize appear anywhere near msu indoor practice facility!

mtgrizfankb said:
KILO217 said:
Will it be built in anticipation of a permanent structure replacing the bubble in the future?

That was part of the original design. They wanted it to be designed with the idea of creating a full indoor facility in the 30-50M range in the next 10 years

And msu's indoor facility will be 30,000 sq. ft. bigger and a permanent structure.....

I understand finances, but why the bubble? From an outsiders viewpoint the UM facility seems second fiddle to what msu has proposed. Is it just me? Thanks in advance for helping me understand the bubble vs. larger permanent structure.

westsider said:
mtgrizfankb said:
That was part of the original design. They wanted it to be designed with the idea of creating a full indoor facility in the 30-50M range in the next 10 years

And msu's indoor facility will be 30,000 sq. ft. bigger and a permanent structure.....

I understand finances, but why the bubble? From an outsiders viewpoint the UM facility seems second fiddle to what msu has proposed. Is it just me? Thanks in advance for helping me understand the bubble vs. larger permanent structure.
I think they realized the necessity to get something in place right now. If they were to go for a full permanent facility it may take another 3-4 years before they're done fundraising. By getting a bubble in place now, they'll have everything they need in the short term to support Football, Track, Soccer and even Softball during the Winter. Once this is finished then I'm sure they'll start fundraising for a permanent facility. The good news is they'll be able to cut down the cost by already having a field and track already in place!

Griz til I die said:
81Hog said:
"Section 3. Capital development projects appropriations and authorizations. (1) The following money is appropriated to the department of administration for the indicated capital development projects from the indicated sources."

Section 1 of the bill is the only section of the bill that mentions authorize. The cats IPF along with the UM Clapp Building renovation, McGill Hall expansion and a few other projects including msu's new school of computing all reside under this same section together. So if what you are saying is true that this section is Authority Only then UM is being authorized to raise $40 million for the Clapp Building renovation, how in the world do you think they're gonna be able to raise $40 million for one of the worst buildings on campus? Start on page 12 where section 3 starts and follow it all the way down because nowhere does the word authorize appear anywhere near msu indoor practice facility!

Wrong! Page 12 has column headings. See them? Then each dollar amount is aligned under a column heading. Wow.

Drone shots. Christ! I've been relying on memory for years. Now I see it in real time. “You don’t know what you got till it’s gone.” I miss Missoula. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2595abcvh2M

westsider said:
mtgrizfankb said:

If I read this correctly, MSU is looking to fundraise through 2025, which means the project may not be done until 2026 or 2027 at the earliest. Nothing wrong with that, but as GTID mentioned, we wanted something done more quickly, and this allows for that, with a longer timeline for getting something permanent in the coming decade. Had we gone for the full structure from the get-go, we'd likely still be fundraising, and the structure would still be several years away from completion.

uofmman1122 said:
westsider said:

If I read this correctly, MSU is looking to fundraise through 2025, which means the project may not be done until 2026 or 2027 at the earliest. Nothing wrong with that, but as GTID mentioned, we wanted something done more quickly, and this allows for that, with a longer timeline for getting something permanent in the coming decade. Had we gone for the full structure from the get-go, we'd likely still be fundraising, and the structure would still be several years away from completion.
I could be wrong, but I believe the way it is getting built is that they will be able to make it a permanent structure. So you've got the bubble so you can get something up quicker, continue to fundraise and then do a permanent structure.

81Hog said:
Griz til I die said:

Wrong! Page 12 has column headings. See them? Then each dollar amount is aligned under a column heading. Wow.
Oh Ok! I didn't see that initially! My apologies, you are right! I could see how one would easily make a mistake like that. Wouldn't it just be easier to write in on that line if it's authority only or not? Anyways, my apologies to you now that I know what I'm looking for!

I understand that MSU has already raised substantial amount toward funding the indoor practice facility. They have been aggressively on the road soliciting funds from alumni and friends of MSU. Most recently they were in Scottsdale. With the weather this Spring in Bozeman the need is clearly apparent and people are stepping up. Leon Costello has mentioned they are about to contract the architect and get things rolling toward construction.

bigsky33 said:
I understand that MSU has already raised substantial amount toward funding the indoor practice facility. They have been aggressively on the road soliciting funds from alumni and friends of MSU. Most recently they were in Scottsdale. With the weather this Spring in Bozeman the need is clearly apparent and people are stepping up. Leon Costello has mentioned they are about to contract the architect and get things rolling toward construction.

Please let it be the same group that designed some of your other infamous facility covers.

Wolf777 said:
bigsky33 said:

Please let it be the same group that designed some of your other infamous facility covers.

It appears their facilities are attracting student athlete recruits and students overall. Enrollment is doing great.

Latest posts

Back