• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

I hate the Portal

Here's reality:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/34710770/alabama-coach-nick-saban-not-transfer-portal-rules-mastered-them

mthoopsfan said:
AZGrizFan said:
Please explain the nuances between “paying” coaches, but “investing in” players.

Also, many many many coaches move up and fail. Many don’t go to a “better place”, nor do their teams perform better. Many don’t make it through their initial contract. Stitt moved up and failed miserably. Hauck had to go to f###[#] Las Vegas to “move up”—and failed miserably. Scott Frost had to go from sunny Florida to freaking NEBRASKA, and still failed. There are countless examples.

It's not just a nuance. Coaches are expected to perform at full speed immediately. There is no redshirting for coaches, or taking a few years to develop and get ready to be a contributor or starter. They are paid for this. It is a job.

Players usually don't become starters or contributors as frosh, or right away. They redshirt. They lift. They learn and develop. During those years, the schools are investing in them.

I don't agree that many many coaches move up and fail, although some do. Stitt was fired; he didn't just move on leave his team. Hauck was not successful at UNLV as head coach, but he did well at SDSU. He was also paid fairly well for his 8 or so years away from UM.

This is not meant as an argument against the Portal or transfer. It's just pointing out the situations of players and coaches are not in fact the same. Also, I don't view college football as job, nor do I think it should be. The unlimited amount of NIL has also created a huge problem, and will skew, and hurt, college sports in the long run.

I believe in amateurism. I don't want colleges to be minor leagues for professional football, or anything close.

The cat is out of the bag. We aren't going back. That's okay with me.

Edit: Plus, the investment in recruiting the transferring kids. Time and money.

CDAGRIZ said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
I guess you could argue that they made a 1 year commitment, just like the school that only offers 1 year scholarship renewed at their discretion.

Of course, and that's where it gets a bit hairy if a kid quits the team mid-season. Does the school pay until spring so the kid can remain eligible when he transfers? What happens with scholarship money traditionally when a player is dismissed from the team? I don't know.

I guess I'd find it hard to believe the school would pay through spring if a player declared he was entering the portal mid-season. But, I have no idea how it works.

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
Here's reality:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/34710770/alabama-coach-nick-saban-not-transfer-portal-rules-mastered-them

Bama fan here. I love that Saban first came out and basically told everyone that the new transfer rules were a mess and were going to mean the rich get richer. He warned everyone, then proceeds to go out and prove it to them, by just slaying it in the transfer portal market. Kind of like he talked about how NIL is a bit wishy washy, but hey, if thats what you want, bama will play that game too…..just love watching my tide roll the fuck over the rest of college football! Everyone loves to hate a winner, I’m just glad Saban is our winner! Roll Tide baby!

CDAGRIZ said:
Griz2k said:
Kind of comparing apples to airplanes. Totally different scenarios in my opinion. I liked how the transfer rules were, you can drop down and play right away or move lateral or up and have to sit out a year. I hate the fact that you can just transfer on a whim anytime you like, anywhere you like with no accountability. There needs to be a little more structure to this. It’s getting out of hand.

How so? Not trying to be a dick, but how is it different than what I outlined? Which one is the airplane?

Well you're talking about a job vs college athletics (football specifically) so obviously different situations. I have no problems with transferring but how far does it go? Should a kid be able to transfer mid season to a different university/team and play immediately? As far as which is the airplane... Your choice!

Griz2k said:
CDAGRIZ said:
How so? Not trying to be a dick, but how is it different than what I outlined? Which one is the airplane?

Well you're talking about a job vs college athletics (football specifically) so obviously different situations. I have no problems with transferring but how far does it go? Should a kid be able to transfer mid season to a different university/team and play immediately? As far as which is the airplane... Your choice!

Well, “Nowhere else in America can businesses get away with agreeing not to pay their workers a fair market rate on the theory that their product is defined by not paying their workers a fair market rate,” Kavanaugh wrote. “And under ordinary principles of antitrust law, it is not evident why college sports should be any different. The NCAA is not above the law.” Concurring opinion and dicta, but kinda blurs the line.

I don't believe kids are allowed to transfer mid-season and play immediately, so I suppose the athlete is the airplane, for now.

Should players be allowed to transfer, and then come back if it doesn’t work out?

Is Sulser glad he transferred? Not playing. May not even be suiting up? UM’s slot receiver didn’t suit up on Saturday. Sulser has better hands fielding punts. Does Sulser miss his friends in Missoula?

I'm not sure why any griz fan would have a issue with the portal. I feel like it's been pretty good for the griz overall and even if they do lose some players this year. I'm confident Hauck and his staff will find good replacements most likely from the portal. I think a bigger school hiring away the coaches is a much bigger problem.

grizingatorland said:
I'm not sure why any griz fan would have a issue with the portal. I feel like it's Ben pretty good for the griz overall and even if they do lose some players this year. I'm confident Hauck and his staff will find good replacements most likely from the portal. I think a bigger school hiring away the coaches is a much bigger problem.

I am a big fan of college football. The portal and NIL will hurt college football. As I have said, the portal and no-sit rule will likely help the Griz.

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
Here's reality:

Bama fan here. I love that Saban first came out and basically told everyone that the new transfer rules were a mess and were going to mean the rich get richer. He warned everyone, then proceeds to go out and prove it to them, by just slaying it in the transfer portal market. Kind of like he talked about how NIL is a bit wishy washy, but hey, if thats what you want, bama will play that game too…..just love watching my tide roll the [#]f### over the rest of college football! Everyone loves to hate a winner, I’m just glad Saban is our winner! Roll Tide baby!

You should have been in Columbia Saturday when his college teamate, Gary Pinkel, was inducted into Mizzou's Hall of Fame. I don't have any affiliation with any of the schools, in actuality, anymore. Kids I coached are now coaching. It's always neat to see what kids become. For what it's worth, this Mizzou staff is damn near worthless.

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
Here's reality:

Bama fan here. I love that Saban first came out and basically told everyone that the new transfer rules were a mess and were going to mean the rich get richer. He warned everyone, then proceeds to go out and prove it to them, by just slaying it in the transfer portal market. Kind of like he talked about how NIL is a bit wishy washy, but hey, if thats what you want, bama will play that game too…..just love watching my tide roll the fuck over the rest of college football! Everyone loves to hate a winner, I’m just glad Saban is our winner! Roll Tide baby!

Yep. What did they beat Texas by again? 30? 40? Just ROLLING over everyone.

mthoopsfan said:
indian-outlaw said:
There is absolutely no reason to not like the portal. These athletes should always have the option to get themselves out of a situation that isn't right for them. Screw the fans and coaches that don't like it.

The athletes always had the option to get themselves out of the situation they didn't like. They could transfer down to FCS (or lower) and play immediately, they could transfer and play immediately as a grad transfer, or they could transfer at the same level and then sit one year before resuming play.
Uh huh...

AZGrizFan said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:
Bama fan here. I love that Saban first came out and basically told everyone that the new transfer rules were a mess and were going to mean the rich get richer. He warned everyone, then proceeds to go out and prove it to them, by just slaying it in the transfer portal market. Kind of like he talked about how NIL is a bit wishy washy, but hey, if thats what you want, bama will play that game too…..just love watching my tide roll the [#]f### over the rest of college football! Everyone loves to hate a winner, I’m just glad Saban is our winner! Roll Tide baby!

Hey, great teams have bad games now and then, just ask the Montana Grizzlies, who never seem to be able to throttle shitty Idaho State teams :lol:

AZGrizFan said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:

And yeah, we are rolling over everyone. We have just 13 losses in 10 years. We’ve been in 9 of the last 13 national title games and won 6 of those. It might be a bit hyperbolic, but I’d say we’re rolling over everybody.

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
AZGrizFan said:

And yeah, we are rolling over everyone. We have just 13 losses in 10 years. We’ve been in 9 of the last 13 national title games and won 6 of those. It might be a bit hyperbolic, but I’d say we’re rolling over everybody.

Might want to slow your roll this year, bro….a 25 point spread and they won on a last second FG….much like the Griz winning by 8 when favored by 35. Now we know there’s NO chance Griz or Bama win titles this year. :lol:

AZGrizFan said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:

Might want to slow your roll this year, bro….a 25 point spread and they won on a last second FG….much like the Griz winning by 8 when favored by 35. Now we know there’s NO chance Griz or Bama win titles this year. :lol:

Bama will be in the title again this year, as will Georgia, and it will be a battle as always. They are the teams to beat this year. They’ve had some epic games over the last several seasons, and I expect that to continue this year

AZGrizFan said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:

Comparing Texas to Idaho state though, that’s ridiculous :lol: that roster is littered with 5 star talent.

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
AZGrizFan said:

Comparing Texas to Idaho state though, that’s ridiculous :lol: that roster is littered with 5 star talent.

Yet they routinely underperform. 5-7 last year? Just got beat by Texas Fucking Tech?

AZGrizFan said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:

Yet they routinely underperform. 5-7 last year? Just got beat by Texas f###[#] Tech?

Can’t say I feel bad for them. I’m just saying that with all that talent I’m not surprised at all that they can get up for a game and nearly knock off the top team. The talent is there

Senior KU linebacker just announced he is sitting for the rest of the year and will redshirt...and enter the portal. SENIOR!

Just crazy to me.

Back