• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

I hate the Portal

There is absolutely no reason to not like the portal. These athletes should always have the option to get themselves out of a situation that isn't right for them. Screw the fans and coaches that don't like it.

As of right now, it’s a one-time transfer exception for undergrads. Some of you are acting like kids can transfer whenever and wherever they want as many times as they want. I think it’s great.

No idea why some people think it’s better to force a kid that doesn’t want to be at your school to stay there.

StumptownGriz said:
My gut tells me this will be the year we "feel" the portal. We have been very lucky to retain so many guys as we have. With all the super sophs and juniors I feel like guys will graduate and move on elsewhere. Hope I'm wrong.

Many will choose not to utilize all four years of eligibility, unlike LJ who’s on year 8 or 9 :lol:

StumptownGriz said:
My gut tells me this will be the year we "feel" the portal. We have been very lucky to retain so many guys as we have. With all the super sophs and juniors I feel like guys will graduate and move on elsewhere. Hope I'm wrong.
If the players graduate, they aren’t utilizing any new rules in the transfer portal that everyone is so upset about. Grad transfers have been able to transfer without penalty for years now.

AZGrizFan said:
StumptownGriz said:

Many will choose not to utilize all four years of eligibility, unlike LJ who’s on year 8 or 9 :lol:

Some will actually start or play significant minutes for their teams as true freshmen for the 1st 4 games having their school fully funded.

Then, declare they are entering the portal, sit the rest of the season in order to preserve their redshirt year.

There is no question - the portal is causing coaches unprecedented headaches. Is it good for the players? It seems so - will be interested in the stats on outcomes after a few years.

uofmman1122 said:
As of right now, it’s a one-time transfer exception for undergrads. Some of you are acting like kids can transfer whenever and wherever they want as many times as they want. I think it’s great.

No idea why some people think it’s better to force a kid that doesn’t want to be at your school to stay there.

Because they shouldn't be able to just change schools all willy-nilly like that. They made a commitment, and they should be forced perform when, where, and how I want. What's next? Flying through the air and grabbing the rim when you lay it in? They know it's just two points, right?

I like the portal from a parental perspective. The MSU kids that I've paid attention to that left are doing pretty well. Smith who went to Tarelton State is the leading receiver on their 3-1 team, Mac who went to Elon on their 4-1 team is over 1500 yards passing if memory serves correct, the two linemen are both starting for Delaware and that hippie school, Cal. Both linemen are better off in their new school than being out of place in Bozeangeles. Another running back transferred to a DII school and is having a decent season.

Hard to imagine what either Montana school would be like record wise if they hadn't picked up a quarterback, among other starters.

I understand the grad transfer thing. I guess I didn't fully articulate what my "gut feelings" were. That being said, at the end of the day, the portal giveth and the portal taketh away.

CDAGRIZ said:
uofmman1122 said:

Because they shouldn't be able to just change schools all willy-nilly like that. They made a commitment, and they should be forced perform when, where, and how I want. What's next? Flying through the air and grabbing the rim when you lay it in? They know it's just two points, right?

I guess you could argue that they made a 1 year commitment, just like the school that only offers 1 year scholarship renewed at their discretion.

indian-outlaw said:
There is absolutely no reason to not like the portal. These athletes should always have the option to get themselves out of a situation that isn't right for them. Screw the fans and coaches that don't like it.

The athletes always had the option to get themselves out of the situation they didn't like. They could transfer down to FCS (or lower) and play immediately, they could transfer and play immediately as a grad transfer, or they could transfer at the same level and then sit one year before resuming play.

AZGrizFan said:
mthoopsfan said:
Coaches, students, and faculty members don't move around at will. I'm fine with players being able to move on, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't have to sit out a year or comply with other minor restrictions. I would guess that more coaches move after they are fired, and not to go to another (better) job. Players may not have a scholarship renewed, but they don't often get told to get out of the program.

Comparing coach rules and movement to player rules and movement is not apples to apples. In my view, the comparison is basically inapplicable and stupid. Most of the time, schools just pay coaches; they don't invest in them. With players, schools have invested in them. Coaches usually move to a better place. Players sometimes don't get to anyplace they want to go, and often aren't successful at the next school. How do you think the Stitt QB did after his transfer. How about Sulser? He's gotten to play in one game. I wonder if he even suits up now.

Hopefully, last year's Griz punter is getting what he wanted, but he's sure getting to play on a crappy team with lots of problems. How much fun can that be? He's 41st in nation at 43.35. Nebraska is 45th in net punting. Rohrback is averaging 44.14, and is 10th in nation. The Griz are second in net punting, and have given up only 17 return yards.

Please explain the nuances between “paying” coaches, but “investing in” players.

Also, many many many coaches move up and fail. Many don’t go to a “better place”, nor do their teams perform better. Many don’t make it through their initial contract. Stitt moved up and failed miserably. Hauck had to go to f###[#] Las Vegas to “move up”—and failed miserably. Scott Frost had to go from sunny Florida to freaking NEBRASKA, and still failed. There are countless examples.

It's not just a nuance. Coaches are expected to perform at full speed immediately. There is no redshirting for coaches, or taking a few years to develop and get ready to be a contributor or starter. They are paid for this. It is a job.

Players usually don't become starters or contributors as frosh, or right away. They redshirt. They lift. They learn and develop. During those years, the schools are investing in them.

I don't agree that many many coaches move up and fail, although some do. Stitt was fired; he didn't just move on leave his team. Hauck was not successful at UNLV as head coach, but he did well at SDSU. He was also paid fairly well for his 8 or so years away from UM.

This is not meant as an argument against the Portal or transfer. It's just pointing out the situations of players and coaches are not in fact the same. Also, I don't view college football as job, nor do I think it should be. The unlimited amount of NIL has also created a huge problem, and will skew, and hurt, college sports in the long run.

I believe in amateurism. I don't want colleges to be minor leagues for professional football, or anything close.

The cat is out of the bag. We aren't going back. That's okay with me.

mthoopsfan said:
indian-outlaw said:

The athletes always had the option to get themselves out of the situation they didn't like. They could transfer down to FCS (or lower) and play immediately, they could transfer and play immediately as a grad transfer, or they could transfer at the same level and then sit one year before resuming play.

And now they can play right away just as the non-revenue athletes could compete instead of sitting out a year. From strictly a parental perspective, this is great for both the losing school and the gaining school, especially when one looks at all the kids who arrive on a college campus as a junior because of all the dual-enrollment classes they took in high school.

HelenaHandBasket said:
CDAGRIZ said:

I guess you could argue that they made a 1 year commitment, just like the school that only offers 1 year scholarship renewed at their discretion.

FCOA has been one of the best changes for these kids I've seen in my lifetime. You give a kid 5 years guaranteed books, board and tuition you know where the kid is going to school. Then throw in a little stipend money?

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

FCOA has been one of the best changes for these kids I've seen in my lifetime. You give a kid 5 years guaranteed books, board and tuition you know where the kid is going to school. Then throw in a little stipend money?

Which are both things that UM doesn't offer.

As a fan of college sports, I find it aggravating. I believe roster continuity and development contributes significantly to success on the field/court.

As a parent of a college student, I find it practical. If my son (not a college athlete) has changed his mind about University X, he isn't punished or chastised for leaving. College students transfer all the time: something like 35% of college students have attended more than one college.

As an employee at a college, I find it frustrating. So much time effort, and resources go into recruiting and retention of student athletes. To see them walk away (even for good reasons) can be disheartening.

If I were a student-athlete, I'd find it liberating. I should be able to decide what is best for me without facing penalty for my choice.

HelenaHandBasket said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:

Which are both things that UM doesn't offer.

I know. The North Dakota schools do. I'm not keeping track of the FCS schools that do anymore. The kids in administration bringing these positive changes for the up coming student athletes are changing the entire college athletic landscape for the better and it's way overdue.

HelenaHandBasket said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Of course, and that's where it gets a bit hairy if a kid quits the team mid-season. Does the school pay until spring so the kid can remain eligible when he transfers? What happens with scholarship money traditionally when a player is dismissed from the team? I don't know.

CDAGRIZ said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

Of course, and that's where it gets a bit hairy if a kid quits the team mid-season. Does the school pay until spring so the kid can remain eligible when he transfers? What happens with scholarship money traditionally when a player is dismissed from the team? I don't know.

My guess, the fall money is gone, already paid to the school to cover tuition. In most cases, the kid leaves prior to the next school term, which would free up that money.

HelenaHandBasket said:
CDAGRIZ said:

My guess, the fall money is gone, already paid to the school to cover tuition. In most cases, the kid leaves prior to the next school term, which would free up that money.

Makes sense.

After reading all these comments, the conclusion is..

*We all hate the portal when a player from our team enters it.

*We all love the portal when a player comes to our team from it.

Now... There are very few kids at the FCS level that enter the portal to move up (MSU and UM have had 3-4 each). IN MY OPINION... I don't see anything wrong with that. Good for them. They want to try something new, and see if they can make it in the big time. No matter what we all think, UM and MSU is not University of Texas, or Cal, or Nebraska (as bad as Nebraska is)... It goes both ways... griz fans should be REALLY happy the Ford didn't want to stay at Louisville, or that your QB (Johnson I think) didn't want to stay at his school. Those are just 2 examples. Why is it OK for players to move down, but not move sideways or up?

Back