• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Hauck contract extension

UncleRico said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:
Hell no! If Bobby wants to retire at UM He should be kept around at all costs. It is totally normal for head football coaches to be the highest paid employee at a university. That is the norm. And what Bobby has done in 4 years is remarkable. He took the program and breathed life back into it. We tried the new blood approach and it didn’t work out so well. Honestly the heir apparent is either pease or rosy if Bobby ever hangs it up. And he’s got enough guys in his system right now that are capable that it wouldn’t surprise me if one of them takes a new gig soon. I honestly thought we were losing pease to Idaho. He is a hell of a coach. We also have phen on staff now to backfill if needed. We are loaded in regard to coaching staff. They all should be some of the most well compensated employees on campus. They are the real money makers at our university.

"Hell no! If Bobby wants to retire at UM He should be kept around at all costs." If the Griz continue to play in the Big Sky and FCS there has to be a realistic salary. $750k out of a revenue of $8 million is probably too much. NDSU Head Coach Mat Entz just got a bump up to $397,000. Bobby has been great no doubt but there is a reason highly successful FCS coaches move up for big paychecks just like Bobby did. Nothing against Pease and Rosy but I think it is pretty evident since Bobby came back that the defensive unit has been the most dominant unit. Shann was a big part of that. Hence why he is now coaching in the SEC.

Shann is not coaching in the SEC. He is an analyst, strictly prohibited from coaching.

Unless the BOR has changed policy, Bobby's salary will not be $750,000. Could very well approach that with incentives but not as a base. He is a great coach and we need to do whatever we can to retain him and his staff but we also have to realize that we will lose staff to better paying opportunities and also to gain a different type of experience.

UncleRico said:
poorgriz said:
Nah... that's not factual information anyway. I suppose there's a chance it could approach close to that figure if he hits EVERY incentive, including all academic stuff, undefeated season, winning the chipper, etc... but that's not likely. Not the total number figure I'm hearing anyway.

I like Bobby as the coach of the Griz. But in 2019 UM faculty salaries were way below MSU and Tech and even lower on average than MSU-B. If his salary is $750k that will be almost double that of Bodnar. UM salaries including staff and faculty are way below the regional average also. It would have to have a ton of incentives to get anywhere near that. I mean honestly would it be better to keep Bobby 2 or 3 more years and if he decides he needs a bigger check let him go and bring in someone young like Shann Schllinger? Bobby will be 60 in a couple years and a lot of his key assistants are probably pretty close to calling it quits too. The Griz are pretty close to needing an infusion of younger coaches. Shann by the time would have spent time in the NFL, an assistant at Nebraska and now time in the SEC. The connections he has with Montana plus those experiences would make him a perfect candidate. If we wait until 2030 it will probably be too late. Once again i am a Bobby supporter but something to think about.

In 39 states the football or basketball coach is the highest paid state employee and in many of those, it’s by millions of dollars. One state it’s their hockey coach. In only 4 states is the school president the highest paid state employee which includes Bodnar. In 5 states it’s either a dean or a chancellor which includes the Dakotas. In Nevada it’s the med school plastic surgeon. That’s of June of this year.

UncleRico said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:
Hell no! If Bobby wants to retire at UM He should be kept around at all costs. It is totally normal for head football coaches to be the highest paid employee at a university. That is the norm. And what Bobby has done in 4 years is remarkable. He took the program and breathed life back into it. We tried the new blood approach and it didn’t work out so well. Honestly the heir apparent is either pease or rosy if Bobby ever hangs it up. And he’s got enough guys in his system right now that are capable that it wouldn’t surprise me if one of them takes a new gig soon. I honestly thought we were losing pease to Idaho. He is a hell of a coach. We also have phen on staff now to backfill if needed. We are loaded in regard to coaching staff. They all should be some of the most well compensated employees on campus. They are the real money makers at our university.

"Hell no! If Bobby wants to retire at UM He should be kept around at all costs." If the Griz continue to play in the Big Sky and FCS there has to be a realistic salary. $750k out of a revenue of $8 million is probably too much. NDSU Head Coach Mat Entz just got a bump up to $397,000. Bobby has been great no doubt but there is a reason highly successful FCS coaches move up for big paychecks just like Bobby did. Nothing against Pease and Rosy but I think it is pretty evident since Bobby came back that the defensive unit has been the most dominant unit. Shann was a big part of that. Hence why he is now coaching in the SEC.
What does Shann have to do with Bobby’s compensation?

alabamagrizzly said:
UncleRico said:
I like Bobby as the coach of the Griz. But in 2019 UM faculty salaries were way below MSU and Tech and even lower on average than MSU-B. If his salary is $750k that will be almost double that of Bodnar. UM salaries including staff and faculty are way below the regional average also. It would have to have a ton of incentives to get anywhere near that. I mean honestly would it be better to keep Bobby 2 or 3 more years and if he decides he needs a bigger check let him go and bring in someone young like Shann Schllinger? Bobby will be 60 in a couple years and a lot of his key assistants are probably pretty close to calling it quits too. The Griz are pretty close to needing an infusion of younger coaches. Shann by the time would have spent time in the NFL, an assistant at Nebraska and now time in the SEC. The connections he has with Montana plus those experiences would make him a perfect candidate. If we wait until 2030 it will probably be too late. Once again i am a Bobby supporter but something to think about.

In 39 states the football or basketball coach is the highest paid state employee and in many of those, it’s by millions of dollars. One state it’s their hockey coach. In only 4 states is the school president the highest paid state employee which includes Bodnar. In 5 states it’s either a dean or a chancellor which includes the Dakotas. In Nevada it’s the med school plastic surgeon. That’s of June of this year.

The highest paid state employee in any state should not be the coach of a college sports team…

Fahque said:
alabamagrizzly said:

The highest paid state employee in any state should not be the coach of a college sports team…

Nothing wrong with it. If the states are alright with it, then so am I.

Fahque said:
alabamagrizzly said:

Who should? Some corrupt politician?

Fahque said:
alabamagrizzly said:

I do agree it doesn't "feel" right, but that is the world we live in.

For me - it means the coach and his staff should be held to very, very high standards, and open to intense scrutiny. All the metrics - grades, graduation rates, discipline, and yes....winning.

Spanky2 said:
Fahque said:

Here in Alabama, Tide fans would gladly make Saban the Grand Master Emporor, GOD on Earth but Auburn fans might not appreciate that too much.

alabamagrizzly said:
Spanky2 said:

Here in Alabama, Tide fans would gladly make Saban the Grand Master Emporor, GOD on Earth but Auburn fans might not appreciate that too much.

After the Brawl and Army V navy - the Iron Bowl is my favorite rivalry - just rabid fans down there.

Fahque said:
alabamagrizzly said:

Just curious, who do you think should be the highest paid state employee?

SoldierGriz said:
alabamagrizzly said:

After the Brawl and Army V navy - the Iron Bowl is my favorite rivalry - just rabid fans down there.

Every year I pray Auburn wins but then I’m afraid someone might die.

Dec 3rd 2013 after Auburn beat bama in the missed FG returned for a TD
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-alabama-shooting-idUSBRE9B213Y20131203
“Woman shoots and kills fellow Alabama fan after football loss”

Nov 20th 2019 after bama lost to LSU 46-41
https://patch.com/alabama/across-al/alabama-fan-charged-murdering-lsu-fan-during-game
“Alabama Fan Charged With Murdering LSU Fan During Game”

Oct 11th 2021 after bama lost to Tex A&M 41-38
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10084419/Man-27-shot-killed-argument-football-fan-team-better.html
“Man, 27, is shot and killed after argument with another football fan over which team is better during the Alabama Vs Texas A&M game”

If you google fan kills fan after college football game, 3 of the 4 articles that I could find all involved bama losses and their fans killing a fan of the other team. Some of them were even friends. The 4th article? Oh it involves bama too.

Nov 7th 2018 after bama beat LSU at LSU 29-0
https://yellowhammernews.com/alabama-fan-killed-by-two-lsu-fans-in-saturday-night-bar-fight/
“Alabama fan killed by two LSU fans in Saturday night bar fight”

Judging from what I know about a LOT of bama fans, this man’s mouth instigated the fight. Definitely not saying he deserved to be beat to death but bama fans are easily the most hated fan group in the SEC and it’s for good reason.

blackfootipa said:
Shann is not coaching in the SEC. He is an analyst, strictly prohibited from coaching.

He isn't an analyst in the SEC either.

Yup, apparently he’s been replaced but I can’t find out why. Interesting side note though. Danny Kistler is the S and C coach at Mississippi St. wonder what it’d take to lure him back to montana😎.

alabamagrizzly said:
SoldierGriz said:

https://patch.com/alabama/across-al/alabama-fan-charged-murdering-lsu-fan-during-game

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10084419/Man-27-shot-killed-argument-football-fan-team-better.html
“Man, 27, is shot and killed after argument with another football fan over which team is better during the Alabama Vs Texas A&M game”

If you google fan kills fan after college football game, 3 of the 4 articles that I could find all involved bama losses and their fans killing a fan of the other team. Some of them were even friends. The 4th article? Oh it involves bama too.

https://yellowhammernews.com/alabama-fan-killed-by-two-lsu-fans-in-saturday-night-bar-fight/

Judging from what I know about a LOT of bama fans, this man’s mouth instigated the fight. Definitely not saying he deserved to be beat to death but bama fans are easily the most hated fan group in the SEC and it’s for good reason.

As I lived in Georgia so many years and have many in-laws who attended and played for various SEC teams, my favorite rivalry down there is clean, old-fashioned hate. What seems like forever way back when Tennessee had decent teams, I loved watching the adults misbehave. A north Georgia kid whose father, grandfather and great-grandfather played for Georgia was told by his dad "Get that puke orange out of my house!" when the kid signed for Tennessee instead of Georgia. Kid had to stay at grandma's for the rest of high school until he went to college.

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
alabamagrizzly said:

As I lived in Georgia so many years and have many in-laws who attended and played for various SEC teams, my favorite rivalry down there is clean, old-fashioned hate. What seems like forever way back when Tennessee had decent teams, I loved watching the adults misbehave. A north Georgia kid whose father, grandfather and great-grandfather played for Georgia was told by his dad "Get that puke orange out of my house!" when the kid signed for Tennessee instead of Georgia. Kid had to stay at grandma's for the rest of high school until he went to college.

That sounds about right. Imagine if he signed with bama. They might not’ve let him back into the family.

alabamagrizzly said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:

That sounds about right. Imagine if he signed with bama. They might not’ve let him back into the family.

My father-in-law would continuously use this statement trying to be funny: "I wouldn't kill a snake crawling out of Alabama; even a snake has a right to escape."

wyomingriz said:
Fahque said:

It's easy to understand a president or chancellor of a medical school being the highest paid. After that - I don't know. What we value just seems "off" when looking at coaching salaries...especially when compared to what our teachers (not necessarily professors) make. But, I get it.

Fahque said:
alabamagrizzly said:

Quite a few years ago, Jim Calhoun was questioned about being the highest paid state employee in Connecticut, and the reporter was kind of being a dick. Calhoun went on a rant about how UConn Men's Basketball was the single highest-grossing money-earner in Connecticut, and brought more money in for the State to fund various departments outside of the University, while also helping build a program that could off-set costs of other sports (think Football at most schools). As someone else said, it doesn't feel right, but at the same time you cannot argue the extra money brought in when a team is successful.

SoldierGriz said:
wyomingriz said:

It's easy to understand a president or chancellor of a medical school being the highest paid. After that - I don't know. What we value just seems "off" when looking at coaching salaries...especially when compared to what our teachers (not necessarily professors) make. But, I get it.

It's about traceable market value, which is a term I made up for the purpose of this post. A coach who gets results generates more revenue for the school/state. In very simple terms, that revenue is relatively traceable to that coach. "Look what I did, it's right there year over year."

With teachers, it's impossible to prove. Sure, the middle school science teacher who inspired a kid to become interested in science, where the kid went on to medical school and went on to invent the boob job deserved higher pay, but we can't trace it back to the teacher.

Back