• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

MBBALL GCU Mirrors Gonzaga

Everyone knows who the liar is. How’s your imaginary UM baseball career coming along?
It ended when I went 1-3 in the final game loss to the Bengals. How is your 3rd string blocking dummy career at Dartmouth coming along? Your latest tally for calling posters "jerks" is now 23. Such a pompous individual.

It ended when I went 1-3 in the final game loss to the Bengals. How is your 3rd string blocking dummy career at Dartmouth coming along? Your latest tally for calling posters "jerks" is now 23. Such a pompous individual.
No record of you ever playing for Griz against Bengals or anyone.

Feel free to google my name and Dartmouth football. "[Hoops]
has been inducted into the Montana Indian Athletic Hall of Fame. The Missoula resident earned state honors playing football and running the [state record] mile relay at Bozeman High School before coming to Dartmouth, where he received first-team All-Ivy and All-New England honors during his senior year as a corner on the football team."

GCU beats St. Marys by 9 points. Another 12 seed defeating a 5 seed. This is a GCU program which wouldn't have been able to beat Western Montana or Carroll 10 years ago. This is how to build a BB program which can compete on a national level. They have slowly built their team over the decade much like Gonzaga built theirs many years ago.
It doesn't happen over night. Rather, it is a slow rise into national prominence. Players who would have laughed at signing with GCU in the past are now listening.
The naysayers will state that we could never achieve a similar rise here at Montana. But GCU, who began their rise from a much lower point than we live in, have proven that it can indeed happen! But it takes vision and a financial commitment. We seem to have neither.

GCU beats St. Marys by 9 points. Another 12 seed defeating a 5 seed. This is a GCU program which wouldn't have been able to beat Western Montana or Carroll 10 years ago. This is how to build a BB program which can compete on a national level. They have slowly built their team over the decade much like Gonzaga built theirs many years ago.
It doesn't happen over night. Rather, it is a slow rise into national prominence. Players who would have laughed at signing with GCU in the past are now listening.
The naysayers will state that we could never achieve a similar rise here at Montana. But GCU, who began their rise from a much lower point than we live in, have proven that it can indeed happen! But it takes vision and a financial commitment. We seem to have neither.
Montana basketball will never sniff the level of financial resources that GCU has..never.

I believe Jerry Colangelo was at the game. It takes more than vision and financial commitment. GDU and Gonzaga are private universities; Montana is obviously public and under the state. Completely different governance. Neither are dependent on their states for money, nor are they controlled by their states.

GCU has been a for-profit university. It has converted back to a non-profit, but the federal government (DOE) still considers it for-profit for various purposes.

"Grand Canyon has spent years trying to convert from a for-profit to a nonprofit institution. The university became a for-profit in 2004 in response to financial difficulties and saw its enrollment skyrocket thanks largely to its online programs. Oct 6, 2023"

"Grand Canyon University, a private Christian institution classified by the U.S. Department of Education (DOE) as a for-profit institution, received over one billion dollars in federal student subsidies in fiscal year 2020-21, the most of any U.S. higher education institution.

It’s not the only for-profit institution to benefit from huge taxpayer subsidies. Of the 20 colleges receiving the largest amount of federal grants and loans for their students, eight were for-profit schools, according to DOE."

This 2016 article has a lot of background info as of that time. https://bleacherreport.com/articles...secret-to-rapid-division-i-basketball-success

And, again, neither GCU nor Gonzaga have football. "GCU president says adding football would take away from other programs"

Montana hoops will never be Gonzaga hoops. If Montana had a handful of billionaire donors especially interested in athletics, things could be different, at least in some respects.

Last edited:
Montana basketball will never sniff the level of financial resources that GCU has..never.
What does financial resources of the university have to do with raising private NIL money? GCU does not fund their NIL pool, it comes from private donations. Yes, Colangelo is a big donor. But UM has Dennis Washington and several others. I get tired of the negativity and "we can't do it" attitude of so many posters. We just lack a vision, and an advocate driven enough to make it happen. I'm too old to undertake the effort, but it could be done. Who is in charge of alumni fund-raising at UM? Dos anyone even know?

I believe Jerry Colangelo was at the game. It takes more than vision and financial commitment. GDU and Gonzaga are private universities; Montana is obviously public and under the state. Completely different governance. Neither are dependent on their states for money, nor are they controlled by their states.

GCU has been a for-profit university. It has converted back to a non-profit, but the federal government (DOE) still considers it for-profit for various purposes.

"Grand Canyon has spent years trying to convert from a for-profit to a nonprofit institution. The university became a for-profit in 2004 in response to financial difficulties and saw its enrollment skyrocket thanks largely to its online programs. Oct 6, 2023"

"Grand Canyon University, a private Christian institution classified by the U.S. Department of Education (DOE) as a for-profit institution, received over one billion dollars in federal student subsidies in fiscal year 2020-21, the most of any U.S. higher education institution.

It’s not the only for-profit institution to benefit from huge taxpayer subsidies. Of the 20 colleges receiving the largest amount of federal grants and loans for their students, eight were for-profit schools, according to DOE."

This 2016 article has a lot of background info as of that time. https://bleacherreport.com/articles...secret-to-rapid-division-i-basketball-success

And, again, neither GCU nor Gonzaga have football. "GCU president says adding football would take away from other programs"

Montana hoops will never be Gonzaga hoops. If Montana had a handful of billionaire donors especially interested in athletics, things could be different, at least in some respects.
Negative Nellie. We don't need billions. 250K per year would do it

What does financial resources of the university have to do with raising private NIL money? GCU does not fund their NIL pool, it comes from private donations. Yes, Colangelo is a big donor. But UM has Dennis Washington and several others. I get tired of the negativity and "we can't do it" attitude of so many posters. We just lack a vision, and an advocate driven enough to make it happen. I'm too old to undertake the effort, but it could be done. Who is in charge of alumni fund-raising at UM? Dos anyone even know?
They will never sniff the level of possible NIL money either. Your assumptions are false. Reality is not negativity or a lack of vision.

Don Herak, grew up on the Flathead Reservation and a big reason Gonzaga basketball is a top program today.

Third, instead of banging your chest on eGriz about what isn't being done and what should be done, I suggest you earmark a significant financial donation to get the ball rolling. Talk is cheap.

GCU doesn't have fball. It is really hard to fund a fball team to success at a 1AA level school and raise millions from from that said school for just hoops. They money is going to go to fball a majority of the time. If there is an example of a non power 5 university with fball that has done what Zags and now GCU are doing we would love to know.

If it were 'reality" you would spring to action instead of pretending.
"pretending"? What am I pretending about dude? I've already said two things in this thread, so I'll remind you so that you can stop trying to be "right". Number 1: I will donate a significant amount to a fund dedicated ONLY to providing NIL funds for the UM basketball program. But that fund doesn't currently exist. When and if it does, I'll donate.....Number 2: I am 74 years of age, don't live in Missoula full-time, and don't have the energy or location to champion this effort. There, does that explain the "pretending" thingy for ya, or do you still have the need to be right?

GCU doesn't have fball. It is really hard to fund a fball team to success at a 1AA level school and raise millions from from that said school for just hoops. They money is going to go to fball a majority of the time. If there is an example of a non power 5 university with fball that has done what Zags and now GCU are doing we would love to know.
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. It doesn't take "millions", and not a single dime comes from the school. I stated in a previous post the monetary slots for signing NIL players. What is so freakin difficult to understand? Some of you posters need Ned the 1st grade reader. Jeeeeez!

I'm done on this topic. Keep being satisfied wallowing every year for a 16 bid in one of the worst conferences in the nation, and still not being able to compete even in this one! No vision. Only acceptance of stark mediocrity. None of you would have ever worked for one of my companies!

"pretending"? What am I pretending about dude? I've already said two things in this thread, so I'll remind you so that you can stop trying to be "right". Number 1: I will donate a significant amount to a fund dedicated ONLY to providing NIL funds for the UM basketball program. But that fund doesn't currently exist. When and if it does, I'll donate.....Number 2: I am 74 years of age, don't live in Missoula full-time, and don't have the energy or location to champion this effort. There, does that explain the "pretending" thingy for ya, or do you still have the need to be right?
You can allocate where/who your NIL donation goes to. Get in contact with Marcus Welnel and he can talk you through it. I would love to see our bball NIL grow.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. It doesn't take "millions", and not a single dime comes from the school. I stated in a previous post the monetary slots for signing NIL players. What is so freakin difficult to understand? Some of you posters need Ned the 1st grade reader. Jeeeeez!
It's time to punt this idea Thirdandlong. It's ain't happening otherwise Travis would he doing it.
Travis already exhausts boosters with perks other BSC conferencd schools don't get.
Haslam and even Bodnar are not forward thinking enough to move on this.

NIL comes from donors who would likely otherwise donate to the school. So, NIL reduces what the school would otherwise get. Not necessarily dollar for dollar. I have first hand information on this concern from people associated with the UM athletic department. I know what I and others in my family have done. Modest donation to NIL. Same and most going to the school.

Back