• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

MBBALL GCU Mirrors Gonzaga

thirdandlong

Living in the Phoenix area some of the year, I have observed the rise of GCU men's basketball to their present #12 seed in the NCAA tournament. Their rise started when they made a total commitment to men's BB, and hired Dan Majerle to coach the team. Before the Majerle hiring, GCU would have had trouble beating Carrol College. Now, they dominate their conference, and have secured a higher NCAA seed than any Big Sky team has ever achieved.
How did they do this? Money. They are a private university, and have allocated lots of money to elevating their BB program. In my opinion, they will keep getting better in the coming years, and they will mine the portal to sign more stud players with NIL funds.
This is an example for all of the naysayers who don't think it is not possible for any school to become another Gonzaga. It can be done, but like anything, it will take money.

Grand Canyon Univ has some good programs and nice facilities, and yes has gotten some huge contributions, but its men's basketball team is nowhere close to Gonzaga. GCU is in a crappy part of north Phoenix. Not a great place to go to school. I have a good friend's daughter who is an athlete there now.

Most of GCU's contribution have come from Jerry Colangelo, the former owner of the Suns, Diamondbacks and more.

And one huge difference between GCU and Montana is that GCU has had some supporters with huge bucks who have made huge contributions. UM has the Washington family. Have the Washingtons contributed anything to NIL?

GCU does not have football and doesn't play to add it.

GCU is huge and growing fast (fall 2023 article): "GCU is projecting a more than 14% increase in new students from last year, including a class of more than 11,000 incoming traditional-age (21 and under) students attending both the Phoenix campus and online. That will increase total projected enrollment to more than 118,000 – approximately 25,800 on the ground campus and more than 92,000 studying online."

GCU also has this:

"Grand Canyon University pushes back against $37M fine from Education Dept. The nation's largest Christian university says it will fight a $37.7 million fine from the Education Department over accusations it misled students over college costs, questioning whether the penalty is religious persecution.Nov 16, 2023"

"Grand Canyon University, a private Christian institution classified by the U.S. Department of Education (DOE) as a for-profit institution, received over one billion dollars in federal student subsidies in fiscal year 2020-21, the most of any U.S. higher education institution.Jun 11, 2023"

Yawn. You try way too hard. Might wanna take a break. I didn't say GCU was up to Gonzaga standards. I said GCU is using the same formula as Gonzaga to elevate its program. And it took the Zags many years to get to where they are. Oh, and GCU is not in North Phoenix, it is in West Phoenix.

Yawn. You try way too hard. Might wanna take a break. I didn't say GCU was up to Gonzaga standards. I said GCU is using the same formula as Gonzaga to elevate its program. And it took the Zags many years to get to where they are. Oh, and GCU is not in North Phoenix, it is in West Phoenix.
You said GCU Mirrors Gonzaga. Looks at your thread title. GCU is right on I-17 heading north to Flagstaff. I-17 goes straight north from the northwest corner of downtown Phoenix. I don’t know what the area is known as. I just know 17 runs north from downtown Phoenix.

How many basketball or soccer games have you seen at GCU? I have seen a bunch. I have seen the Lady Griz there.

Last edited:
Living in the Phoenix area some of the year, I have observed the rise of GCU men's basketball to their present #12 seed in the NCAA tournament. Their rise started when they made a total commitment to men's BB, and hired Dan Majerle to coach the team. Before the Majerle hiring, GCU would have had trouble beating Carrol College. Now, they dominate their conference, and have secured a higher NCAA seed than any Big Sky team has ever achieved.
How did they do this? Money. They are a private university, and have allocated lots of money to elevating their BB program. In my opinion, they will keep getting better in the coming years, and they will mine the portal to sign more stud players with NIL funds.
This is an example for all of the naysayers who don't think it is not possible for any school to become another Gonzaga. It can be done, but like anything, it will take money.
Montana was a #12 seed in 06

You said GCU Mirrors Gonzaga. Looks at your thread title. GCU is right on I-17 heading north to Flagstaff. I-17 goes straight north from the northwest corner of downtown Phoenix. I don’t know what the area is known as. I just know 17 runs north from downtown Phoenix.

How many basketball or soccer games have you seen at GCU? I have seen a bunch. I have seen the Lady Griz there.
Mine's bigger than yours.........

Mirror, mirror on the wall,
Who's got the biggest one of all?

Me.
The battle is for second place.

Phoenix Metro Area is about 14,600 Square Miles. Somewhere in that mass of humanity there are two Griz fans, Jack and Steve, who could meet, over a beer or two and bury the hatchet. I don't know how many watering holes there are in the Valley of the Sun, but it might be worth a try. How about a Diamondbacks or Coyotes game? How about a round of golf(19th Hole)?Probably more golf courses down there than bars in Missoula. You could PM each other, keep it low key. No one will notice two older gents, in a sea of 4.9 million people, discussing the old days. Balls in your court. Happy trails!

Phoenix Metro Area is about 14,600 Square Miles. Somewhere in that mass of humanity there are two Griz fans, Jack and Steve, who could meet, over a beer or two and bury the hatchet. I don't know how many watering holes there are in the Valley of the Sun, but it might be worth a try. How about a Diamondbacks or Coyotes game? How about a round of golf(19th Hole)?Probably more golf courses down there than bars in Missoula. You could PM each other, keep it low key. No one will notice two older gents, in a sea of 4.9 million people, discussing the old days. Balls in your court. Happy trails!
That guy is too big of a jerk and too dishonest to bother to meet. I tried to meet him at the Mo Club long ago. He immediately left town instead of showing up or saying he was cancelling. In terms of square miles, Phoenix proper is 10th largest city in the US. No. 6 is Anaconda. No. 7 is Butte. Sitka and Juneau are nos. 1 and 2. There, I taught you guys something today.

That guy is too big of a jerk and too dishonest to bother to meet. I tried to meet him at the Mo Club long ago. He immediately left town instead of showing up or saying he was cancelling. In terms of square miles, Phoenix proper is 10th largest city in the US. No. 6 is Anaconda. No. 7 is Butte. Sitka and Juneau are nos. 1 and 2. There, I taught you guys something today.
I hang with winners, not losers, Jack. You are a nothing in Phoenix. Keep thinking you are something in Missoula. I never said I would meet you at the Mo Club. I don't meet self-absorbed losers. Your lies follow you everywhere you go. Oh, Coach H says hello.

I hang with winners, not losers, Jack. You are a nothing in Phoenix. Keep thinking you are something in Missoula. I never said I would meet you at the Mo Club. I don't meet self-absorbed losers. Your lies follow you everywhere you go. Oh, Coach H says hello.
I’m not in Phoenix. Posters from the old days would remember your Mo Club no-show. You late claimed you had to go to Spokane. Always happy to compare lives and accomplishments.

I’m not in Phoenix. Posters from the old days would remember your Mo Club no-show. You late claimed you had to go to Spokane. Always happy to compare lives and accomplishments.

Back