• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Fall Camp Updates

BWahlberg said:
RayWill said:
BWahlberg said:
ilovethecats said:
What's the position where you guys have your biggest battle going on? Obviously on our side the qb battle is all anyone is talking about. You guys have any of that going on?

Tough read so far, they're just 3 days in and yesterday was the first day in half pads. There really isn't a lot of positions that appear to be wide open except right guard on the OL and possibly running back.

All positions that seem up in the air have returning players, as camp goes on some younger guys could push for jobs, possibly at corner, safety, OT, edge... but it doesn't feel like there's a lot of "battles" for spots at the moment.

Corner and Edge would seem likely to see a bit of a battle with Egbo out at corner and the lack of any edge rush last year. Mcginnis and Gradney are two younger guys making a case for their spots too from what I have heard too.

Yep, right now corner has the same two dudes starting from last year, Calhoun and Nash, with Hemphill the next guy up. The battle could be more for the depth and rotation, we'll have to see.

Edge, Grossman is continuing to hold it down, but you're right, some unknowns there and if some of these transfers or returning guys will push him.

RB seems to another spot where you might expect some battle but Bobby has always seemed fine with RB by a committee and really Knight Eastwood and Wellnel complement each other well and could make a good trio.

You lost me...Welnell isn'ta running back?
RayWill said:
BWahlberg said:
RayWill said:
BWahlberg said:
Tough read so far, they're just 3 days in and yesterday was the first day in half pads. There really isn't a lot of positions that appear to be wide open except right guard on the OL and possibly running back.

All positions that seem up in the air have returning players, as camp goes on some younger guys could push for jobs, possibly at corner, safety, OT, edge... but it doesn't feel like there's a lot of "battles" for spots at the moment.

Corner and Edge would seem likely to see a bit of a battle with Egbo out at corner and the lack of any edge rush last year. Mcginnis and Gradney are two younger guys making a case for their spots too from what I have heard too.

Yep, right now corner has the same two dudes starting from last year, Calhoun and Nash, with Hemphill the next guy up. The battle could be more for the depth and rotation, we'll have to see.

Edge, Grossman is continuing to hold it down, but you're right, some unknowns there and if some of these transfers or returning guys will push him.

RB seems to another spot where you might expect some battle but Bobby has always seemed fine with RB by a committee and really Knight Eastwood and Wellnel complement each other well and could make a good trio.

RayWill said:
BWahlberg said:
RayWill said:
BWahlberg said:

Welnel isn’t a RB. You must be thinking of Drew Turner from Kalispell

WaGriz4life said:
RayWill said:
BWahlberg said:
RayWill said:

Welnel isn’t a RB. You must be thinking of Drew Turner from Kalispell
Yep, I meant Turner, Still learning some of the newer guys names. The muscular back from Kalispell that looked good in the Spring Game.

Another busy day but I was able to catch about 45 minutes and chat with a few egrizzers while watching.

The offense today, from the portion I saw, was on fire. They were having a day. The passing game really had it going. I saw Toure turn a 15 yard catch into a TD, outrunning the whole secondary, and then saw him again score on a deep sideline shot. This kid is having himself a fall camp so far, he's rebounding from a lackluster 2018. I saw JLM beat Sandry over the top for a deep TD, and Akem haul in a few incredible catches including a toe-tapping sideline grab where he loudly let the defense know what a playmaker he is, haha. Running the ball one play that stood out to me was Eastwood beating Robby on leverage and knocking him on his ass, Knight catching a few and with a good long run, even Turner got in on the action a bit with one good long run too. The only glaring issue I observed today was the backup center snaps were not good, some pass protection wasn't good either.

The defense didn't get walked all over though, Fouch had a pick-6 on Graves, saw some great pops stopping ball carriers in their tracks by Robertson and Olson. RJ Nelson batted a pass or two, there were a couple of plays where D-linemen got their hands up to hit passes.

Lots of ST drills again, punting is looking good in terms of hang time and length.

It was a very animated / fired up day from the portion I saw. Coaches, players, etc - lots of talk, lots of shouts. I'd imagine the videos from practice today tweeted by the football account will have a lot of fun highlights.

BWahlberg said:
Another busy day but I was able to catch about 45 minutes and chat with a few egrizzers while watching.

The offense today, from the portion I saw, was on fire. They were having a day. The passing game really had it going. I saw Toure turn a 15 yard catch into a TD, outrunning the whole secondary, and then saw him again score on a deep sideline shot. This kid is having himself a fall camp so far, he's rebounding from a lackluster 2018. I saw JLM beat Sandry over the top for a deep TD, and Akem haul in a few incredible catches including a toe-tapping sideline grab where he loudly let the defense know what a playmaker he is, haha. Running the ball one play that stood out to me was Eastwood beating Robby on leverage and knocking him on his ass, Knight catching a few and with a good long run, even Turner got in on the action a bit with one good long run too. The only glaring issue I observed today was the backup center snaps were not good, some pass protection wasn't good either.

The defense didn't get walked all over though, Fouch had a pick-6 on Graves, saw some great pops stopping ball carriers in their tracks by Robertson and Olson. RJ Nelson batted a pass or two, there were a couple of plays where D-linemen got their hands up to hit passes.

Lots of ST drills again, punting is looking good in terms of hang time and length.

It was a very animated / fired up day from the portion I saw. Coaches, players, etc - lots of talk, lots of shouts. I'd imagine the videos from practice today tweeted by the football account will have a lot of fun highlights.

Thanks, as always, BDubs. I have a good feeling about this season. I'll leave it at that.

BWahlberg said:

Thanks Brint, who were the QB's today?

BWahlberg said:

Well to be fair, I heard the entire defense has torn all their ACL’s...so there’s that. Good job by the O to take advantage though.

BWahlberg said:

thanks b/w.....seems like Graves has had a lot of interceptions this fall....maybe they will go with the red shirt freshman Brown and let Graves play linebacker or rush d/e....i think we will be fine at running back....Eastwood, Knight,Turner, Janacaro and Letexier at f/b......any thoughts Graves....need to get our absolute best on the field and playing imo...

thanks b/w.....seems like Graves has had a lot of interceptions this fall....maybe they will go with the red shirt freshman Brown and let Graves play linebacker or rush d/e....i think we will be fine at running back....Eastwood, Knight,Turner, Janacaro and Letexier at f/b......any thoughts Graves....need to get our absolute best on the field and playing imo...

I wonder if they might trying to do too much with Graves. So far they've had him play QB, RB and all four special teams at practice. Looks like he’s running everywhere all the time. Might be good to let him focus on something. Especially if they see any potential at QB. That’s a lot to process. None of the other QB's are doing any of the other stuff.

BWahlberg said:

So it sounds like the DBs got smoked today.

Eastern's big, fast, strong receivers are going to wreak havoc against your tiny DBs.

GoldenEagle said:
BWahlberg said:

Eastern's big, fast, strong receivers are going to wreak havoc against your tiny DBs.

Maybe ... But if they did, they got smoked by the best receiving corps in the league today. And the DB's aren't tiny, sooo.... Other than all of that, pretty solid shit talking 🙌

casewinter13 said:
GoldenEagle said:
BWahlberg said:

Maybe ... But if they did, they got smoked by the best receiving corps in the league today. And the DB's aren't tiny, sooo.... Other than all of that, pretty solid shit talking 🙌

Don't get too wound up over the inbred UM hype. Andrew Boston is the best receiver in the BSC. UM has some talent but nothing compared to Boston.

GoldenEagle said:
casewinter13 said:
GoldenEagle said:
BWahlberg said:

Don't get too wound up over the inbred UM hype. Andrew Boston is the best receiver in the BSC. UM has some talent but nothing compared to Boston.

Interesting that Aaron Best doesn't share your opinion. Don't take my word for it though, ask him who he thinks the best individual WR is in the Big Sky and who has the deepest core of receivers.

cclarkblues said:
BWahlberg said:

Thanks Brint, who were the QB's today?

Humphrey took all the reps again today.

GoldenEagle said:
casewinter13 said:
GoldenEagle said:
BWahlberg said:

Almost... except he’s not.

George Ferguson said:
GoldenEagle said:
casewinter13 said:
GoldenEagle said:

Interesting that Aaron Best doesn't share your opinion. Don't take my word for it though, ask him who he thinks the best individual WR is in the Big Sky and who has the deepest core of receivers.

Well George, I do not know Aaron Best so I will not be able to confirm. However, he does seem like a modest person and I suspect he would praise the skill of any opponent whether he believed
so or not.

RainierGriz said:
GoldenEagle said:
casewinter13 said:
GoldenEagle said:

I admire the pluckiness of some griz fans. Keep the faith.

GoldenEagle said:
RainierGriz said:
GoldenEagle said:
casewinter13 said:

I admire the pluckiness of some griz fans. Keep the faith.

I find it to be a bold statement when you say our receivers are nothing compared to whoever you’re talking about.

GoldenEagle said:
George Ferguson said:
GoldenEagle said:
casewinter13 said:

Well George, I do not know Aaron Best so I will not be able to confirm. However, he does seem like a modest person and I suspect he would praise the skill of any opponent whether he believed
so or not.

Well the entire rest of the league agrees that he’s not the best so apparently only you and his mom think he is.

Latest posts

Back