• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Fall Camp Updates

grizindabox said:
PlayerRep said:
StumptownGriz said:
go96griz said:
Toure and Flowers have similar top end speed compared to Sulser. All are very fast. JLM doesn't have that high speed gear and his game is more about agility/cuts/change of direction to make people miss as you mention. Will let somebody that's seen Roberts and Germer more respond about them.

I think you are not giving JLM's top end, long speed enough credit here. I've never seen him run down from behind like the shifty, elusive Nguyen brothers used to. In fact JLM is usually creating separation, running away from people on his way to the end-zone.

Flowers is a flat out burner. More of a 1 cut type player. I think he's the fastest of them all.

Also I think his long-stride is deceptive but Sammy Akem's long speed is worth noting. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Sammy the Oklahoma hurdle state champ?

I agree on JLM's speed. He is very fast. I would guess his 40 speed is right up there with the rest.

220...221...whatever it takes

C'mon guys it's so simple, maybe you need a refresher course?

I don't know how his speed has changed over the last 6 years, but JLM was the Idaho state champ in the 400 meters in 48+, so he's always had speed. Probably a notch below Sulser, but not that far off--and laterally there are few in the country (in FCS, anyway) who can touch him. His full-speed cuts are just ridiculous.

Okay, made it to practice #2 today. Caught about 90% of it. Some general observations:

- we have some BIG boys on the O Line. Our newest JUCO transfer Mallory is 6’3 and 350 lbs, yet (no joke) he looks short/small compared to some of the Lineman we have. We have some big dudes and they are extremely well coached by Germer. That guy doesn’t stop coaching and holds his players acccountable every play, every drill. I know he’s taken some crap here for not producing but I truly don’t think he’s the problem at all. We are lucky to have him. Cy Sirmon looks every bit like a center at 290 now. What a stud team player.

- the practices are well oiled machines. A countdown clock for all the various drill work where they separate into their position groups and then come together for team drills like 7 on 7 and 11 on 11. They run everywhere and always. Hell even when practice was over and they had to return to their buses or cars to head home they all sprint off the field. Sims sprinted over for an interview and then sprinted a long ways to his bus or vehicle. I like the little things like that.

- there are some young guys who look like they could play right now. Our new TE Joey Elwell is a big dude and can move. Gonna be the next star TE for the Griz. Noah Ambuehl another big kid. Dumitru Salagor looks way bigger than any 18 year old I’ve seen.

- some of our young guys are going to see the field a lot. Grossman looks like a stud, so does Hill. Jesse Owens caught a long TD pass from Kris Brown when he torched the secondary.

- they didn’t rep Sneed at all. The are looking to build their depth. They repped Humphrey and Graves and Brown. I will say this with 100% certainty...Humphrey would start for a crap load of Big Sky teams. That dude can sling it and it’s beautiful, tight spirals. Graves can actually spin it okay too but there’s a noticeable drop off from Cam to him or Brown.

- Marcus Knight is going to do good things for us. He has another gear and has good hands out of the backfield.

- stand out plays....Sulser with an awesome leaping TD catch in traffic. Roberts had a beautiful diving catch over the middle (video posted below)

- the defense looked fast and aggressive. Robertson looks lean and cut and had an interception. Jace Lewis had a pick and looks great. Gubner is large and in charge at DT and looks damn quick for his size. Babros is going to cause problems for teams on the edge. That guy is legit and exactly what we needed.

- it was hot. Bobby wore a long sleeved black shirt to tell his guys if you’re hot then I will be too. The coaching is loud and constant. These guys expect and demand a lot and the kids know it.

I was very encouraged by what I saw today. This team seems like it has a very large chip on its shoulder. They seem bigger, better, faster, stronger than a year ago. The transfers and new recruits are upgrades.

https://twitter.com/MontanaGrizFB/status/1159268209083633664

https://twitter.com/MontanaGrizFB/status/1159277862689525760

https://twitter.com/MontanaGrizFB/status/1159273514739720192

HookedonGriz said:
Okay, made it to practice #2 today. Caught about 90% of it. Some general observations:

- we have some BIG boys on the O Line. Our newest JUCO transfer Mallory is 6’3 and 350 lbs, yet (no joke) he looks short/small compared to some of the Lineman we have. We have some big dudes and they are extremely well coached by Germer. That guy doesn’t stop coaching and holds his players acccountable every play, every drill. I know he’s taken some crap here for not producing but I truly don’t think he’s the problem at all. We are lucky to have him. Cy Sirmon looks every bit like a center at 290 now. What a stud team player.

- the practices are well oiled machines. A countdown clock for all the various drill work where they separate into their position groups and then come together for team drills like 7 on 7 and 11 on 11. They run everywhere and always. Hell even when practice was over and they had to return to their buses or cars to head home they all sprint off the field. Sims sprinted over for an interview and then sprinted a long ways to his bus or vehicle. I like the little things like that.

- there are some young guys who look like they could play right now. Our new TE Joey Elwell is a big dude and can move. Gonna be the next star TE for the Griz. Noah Ambuehl another big kid. Dumitru Salagor looks way bigger than any 18 year old I’ve seen.

- some of our young guys are going to see the field a lot. Grossman looks like a stud, so does Hill. Jesse Owens caught a long TD pass from Kris Brown when he torched the secondary.

- they didn’t rep Sneed at all. The are looking to build their depth. They repped Humphrey and Graves and Brown. I will say this with 100% certainty...Humphrey would start for a crap load of Big Sky teams. That dude can sling it and it’s beautiful, tight spirals. Graves can actually spin it okay too but there’s a noticeable drop off from Cam to him or Brown.

- Marcus Knight is going to do good things for us. He has another gear and has good hands out of the backfield.

- stand out plays....Sulser with an awesome leaping TD catch in traffic. Roberts had a beautiful diving catch over the middle (video posted below)

- the defense looked fast and aggressive. Robertson looks lean and cut and had an interception. Jace Lewis had a pick and looks great. Gubner is large and in charge at DT and looks damn quick for his size. Babros is going to cause problems for teams on the edge. That guy is legit and exactly what we needed.

- it was hot. Bobby wore a long sleeved black shirt to tell his guys if you’re hot then I will be too. The coaching is loud and constant. These guys expect and demand a lot and the kids know it.

I was very encouraged by what I saw today. This team seems like it has a very large chip on its shoulder. They seem bigger, better, faster, stronger than a year ago. The transfers and new recruits are upgrades.

Love it. Thank you for the great report. Really encouraged about your impressions of Babros. We sure do need him. Anyone who thinks Germer has been the problem with the OL is an idiot. He’s proven. Sulser will go over the top and straight beat guys for the football. Love hearing QB’s taking shots to him. Cam Humphrey is going to be a damn good QB next year

Back to BW's original post where he said that there was a different attitude from the start of Day 1. I can't imagine that there isn't a returning player that doesn't have the end to the 2018 season burning in the back of his mind. I'm guessing there will be a level of intensity from the players we haven't seen in a long time.

I like to compare to the best and right now Clemson and Bama are the best. I believe that we are moving away from the Dabo Swinney type of coaching and heading into a Nick Saban type of year. Both can be successful, obviously. But I just am getting a feeling that this year it is going to be serious business from start to end of each game and from game one to The Game.

One of the big advantages to having some depth at all positions is that not only do you have subs when needed in the 4th qtr, but you have real competition at each position. I have my rose-colored glasses on as usual, but damn if I don't believe we are very close to being a contender in FCS.

Bobby and the Griz are on a mission and I am excited to see how this season unfolds.

HookedonGriz said:

BW has competition. Thanks for the info

mtgrizrule said:
HookedonGriz said:

Hahah, naaa that dudes the real deal. I looked for him today and was hoping to say hi. I missed him if he was there. Met some other great Griz fans though. Everyone seems excited for sure.

HookedonGriz said:
mtgrizrule said:
HookedonGriz said:

Hahah, naaa that dudes the real deal. I looked for him today and was hoping to say hi. I missed him if he was there. Met some other great Griz fans though. Everyone seems excited for sure.

Work kept me away today! Awesome report Hooked

1988griz said:
RUMOR: is Dante Olson playing/suffering from an injury? Maybe a torn ACL? Wish him the best if it’s true.

Come on! You can’t come in here and drop a turd like that and not explain yourself or where you supposedly heard a “rumor“ anything remotely resembling that.

CrunchGriz said:
1988griz said:
RUMOR: is Dante Olson playing/suffering from an injury? Maybe a torn ACL? Wish him the best if it’s true.

Come on! You can’t come in here and drop a turd like that and not explain yourself or where are you supposedly heard a “rumor“ anything remotely resembling that.

Eh Lucy, you got some ‘splainin’ to do...

1988griz said:

Well he can clearly be seen moving around just fine in the video posted above where Mitch Roberts makes a diving catch, so I’m gonna go out on a limb and say this is a bullshit rumor

1988griz said:

Not that I or anyone else I know is aware of. If so, he is the toughest, most agile, quickest dude with an ACL injury I’ve ever seen as he was flying around yesterday like a madman.

Are you maybe confused with Egbo? It’s been reported he had an ACL injury and he’s been sitting out of practices with a brace

behappp said:
Back to BW's original post where he said that there was a different attitude from the start of Day 1. I can't imagine that there isn't a returning player that doesn't have the end to the 2018 season burning in the back of his mind. I'm guessing there will be a level of intensity from the players we haven't seen in a long time.

I just want to see someone hit #48 from the Home Page so hard his paint comes off.

1988griz said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfPPx4VeYE0

BWahlberg said:
krammer said:
b/w thanks for the tread, great stuff and appreciated by those of us outside the Missoula area.....questions in particular are,, do jlm, tourie and flowers have that same kind of speed of sulser to score from anywhere ? i know jlm has the moves etc. just wondering...they were initially all recruited as speed guys, is why I ask. thanks for your expertise....I could throw Robets and germer in there as well...I believe they are more possession type receivers though. Your take ?

Uneducated fan take;

Toure - close to Sulser in speed but a more “complete” WR with ability to go up and get passes, make guys miss, etc. I still think he’s maybe the most well rounded WR of the group, just had a bad year last year.

Flowers - great speed, showing it on ST. Not as shifty as others that I’ve seen but many times guys improve on that through their college career.

Sulser - burner, damn fast. Has some cuts that makes guys miss but really seems best suited to just get the ball and outrun everyone.

JLM - as we all know the most elusive. Maybe not the greatest top speed compared to these others but not a slowpoke or like a Nguyen that would lose his top speed quickly.

a big thank you to b/w and all the rest of the folks who were able to speak to my question......just another little question.....here in Billings the Owens kid was considered a kid with elite speed, is that the case ?......also where is Roberts and Germer on this speed/moves list ? .... thanks in advance and go Griz !

HookedonGriz said:

Hook, thanks for the write up, many of us appreciate it and live for that kind of stuff....

Back