• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Covid Updates - Not Politics

Ursa Major said:
argh! said:
no, looks interesting, though. the south china sea is a real flashpoint, and looks to become more of one, as xi tries to press his b.s. about the "9 dashed line", something made up on a map in china in the 1400's, then brought back by the ccp. they've got a lot of people to feed, and aren't anywhere near food self-sufficient, so part of the objective is food, the other military.

I read an article by an author that suggested a possible secondary reason for the PRC to invade Taiwan was for semiconductors. His/her take was that the loss of Taiwanese semiconductors would cripple global markets on the short-term.

The initial advantage for China would be the technological advancement. Although they always seem to be better at imitation not innovation.

yeah, they are currently trying their best to lure the engineers for tsmc, the company that is supposed to make the most advanced semiconductors in the world. taiwan has established lots of laws regarding spying, etc, for the ccp, so i don't know how successful they have been. that is, of course, the slow way to get the technology, and when stuff gets copied, then made in china, there always seem to be businesses willing to secretly cut corners to make a buck, and the product never turns out to be as good. the faster way would be just to try to take it over, because i guess you need some ultra high precision machines to handle work at that small of a scale.

while getting that technology would help them, there are other companies that make good semiconductors, including in the u.s.. presumably the bill in the senate that will fund high level research and infrastructure that addresses the issue. i just hope the money really goes where it should, not to the same old bunch of clowns that usually dominate the funding, then churn out garbage that can't be reproduced. one advantage we have is that some of the money will go to private companies here, who can move way faster than government-run companies - look at spacex, for instance.

Wasn't some smart poster trying to tell us this last week?

"The Power of Natural Immunity

Studies show it’s durable and widespread. If you’ve had Covid, you can get by with one shot of vaccine."

"Some 80% to 85% of American adults are immune to the virus: More than 64% have received at least one vaccine dose and, of those who haven’t, roughly half have natural immunity from prior infection. There’s ample scientific evidence that natural immunity is effective and durable, and public-health leaders should pay it heed.

Only around 10% of Americans have had confirmed positive Covid tests, but four to six times as many have likely had the infection. A February study in Nature used antibody screenings in late summer 2020 to estimate there had been seven times as many actual cases as confirmed cases.

11 months after a mild infection immune cells were still capable of producing protective antibodies. The authors concluded that prior Covid infection induces a “robust” and “long-lived humoral immune response,” leading some scientists to suggest that natural immunity is probably lifelong.

My clinical advice to healthy patients with natural immunity is that one shot is sufficient, and maybe not even necessary, although it could increase the long-term durability of immunity."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-power-of-natural-immunity-11623171303?mod=hp_opin_pos_1

PlayerRep said:
Wasn't some smart poster trying to us this last week?

Studies show it’s durable and widespread. If you’ve had Covid, you can get by with one shot of vaccine."

"Some 80% to 85% of American adults are immune to the virus: More than 64% have received at least one vaccine dose and, of those who haven’t, roughly half have natural immunity from prior infection. There’s ample scientific evidence that natural immunity is effective and durable, and public-health leaders should pay it heed.

Only around 10% of Americans have had confirmed positive Covid tests, but four to six times as many have likely had the infection. A February study in Nature used antibody screenings in late summer 2020 to estimate there had been seven times as many actual cases as confirmed cases.

11 months after a mild infection immune cells were still capable of producing protective antibodies. The authors concluded that prior Covid infection induces a “robust” and “long-lived humoral immune response,” leading some scientists to suggest that natural immunity is probably lifelong.

My clinical advice to healthy patients with natural immunity is that one shot is sufficient, and maybe not even necessary, although it could increase the long-term durability of immunity."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-power-of-natural-immunity-11623171303?mod=hp_opin_pos_1

Some smart poster might have been trying to "use" it......

Would anybody really follow "clinical advice" posted on Egriz? If so I'm praying that you do not have children that are in the current gene pool and that your passing is painless but quick.

sdk.catfish said:

Would anybody really follow "clinical advice" posted on Egriz? If so I'm praying that you do not have children that are in the current gene pool and that your passing is painless but quick.

Do you not see the quotation marks, and not see that all of the paragraphs are in quotes? Do you not realize that the quotes signify that they came from the Wall St. Journal opinion piece that was linked and whose title is at the top?

3-7-77 said:
"...clinical advice..." from a corporate lawyer. :roll:

See the prior post.

"My clinical advice to healthy patients with natural immunity is that one shot is sufficient, and maybe not even necessary, although it could increase the long-term durability of immunity. A University of Pennsylvania study of people previously infected with Covid found that a single vaccine dose triggered a strong immune response, with no increase in that response after a second dose. A separate study from New York’s Mount Sinai School of Medicine concluded that “the antibody response to the first vaccine dose in individuals with pre-existing immunity is equal to or even exceeds the titers found in naïve”—never-infected—“individuals after the second dose.”

"Dr. Makary is a professor at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Bloomberg School of Public Health and Carey Business School. He is author of “The Price We Pay: What Broke American Health Care—and How to Fix It,” just out in paperback.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-power-of-natural-immunity-11623171303?mod=opinion_lead_pos5

The use of quotation marks is critical to understanding the intent of the post. PR did use inclusive quotation marks on a very lengthy quote, five paragraphs. I would have quoted each paragraph, as in quoting a letter. The advice is, indeed, Dr. Makarey's, not PR's. My error, my laziness in not carefully reading the original post. It's been a while since I had to refer to 'Turabian.' After all, this is eGriz, not a publication.

3-7-77 said:
The use of quotation marks is critical to understanding the intent of the post. PR did use inclusive quotation marks on a very lengthy quote, five paragraphs. I would have quoted each paragraph, as in quoting a letter. The advice is, indeed, Dr. Makarey's, not PR's. My error, my laziness in not carefully reading the original post. It's been a while since I had to refer to 'Turabian.' After all, this is eGriz, not a publication.

As they say, "Reading is fundamental." :lol: :lol: :lol:

AZGrizFan said:
3-7-77 said:

You can get pretty high on the food chain by not reading and pictures don't count.

AZGrizFan said:
3-7-77 said:

My clinical advice for bankers/CFO's is to start lending in MT and do introductory rates of 2% for mortgages for renovations at Flathead Lake.

1. "China Returns to Its Strict Covid Limits to Fight a New Outbreak

Foreign businesses worry that tough quarantines and restrictions could persist into next year as Beijing struggles with variants and questions about its vaccines."

"Neighborhoods under strict lockdown. Thousands quarantined. Millions tested in mere days. Overseas arrivals locked up for weeks and sometimes months.

China has followed variations of that formula for dealing with the coronavirus for more than a year — and a new outbreak suggests that they could be part of Chinese life for some time to come.

China appeared to get the coronavirus under control nearly a year ago. But hundreds of millions of Chinese people remain unvaccinated. New variants of the coronavirus have appeared, and questions remain about whether China’s self-made vaccines can stop them.

The latest cases have been found in Guangzhou, capital of the southern province of Guangdong. The authorities have blamed the Delta variant, which has caused widespread loss of life in India."

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/09/world/asia/china-covid-lockdown.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

2. [I saw an article saying a country (think in Africa) had vaccinated 50% of people with a Chinese vaccine, and covid is now surging in that country. Can't find the article now. The Chinese vaccines are about 50% effective.]

3. "Covid cases jump by 25pc across Africa, stoking fears continent is unprepared for ‘third wave’"

https://news.yahoo.com/covid-cases-jump-25pc-across-140413782.html

4. "Early adopters of Chinese vaccines see case surges; China plows ahead anyway

China is now giving 20 million doses a day despite low efficacy."

https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/06/china-ramps-up-vaccinations-as-other-countries-back-away-from-its-vaccines/

Ursa Major said:
AZGrizFan said:
Well, consider the source of that post, argh. :lol: :lol: :lol:

By chance, did either of you (or anyone else) happen to read 2034 by James Stavridis?

I have not and will not read anything written by him...I will just leave it at that.

PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:

My clinical advice for bankers/CFO's is to start lending in MT and do introductory rates of 2% for mortgages for renovations at Flathead Lake.

Introductory rates? Hell, that’s almost the GOING rate right now, bro.

PlayerRep said:

Foreign businesses worry that tough quarantines and restrictions could persist into next year as Beijing struggles with variants and questions about its vaccines."

"Neighborhoods under strict lockdown. Thousands quarantined. Millions tested in mere days. Overseas arrivals locked up for weeks and sometimes months.

China has followed variations of that formula for dealing with the coronavirus for more than a year — and a new outbreak suggests that they could be part of Chinese life for some time to come.

China appeared to get the coronavirus under control nearly a year ago. But hundreds of millions of Chinese people remain unvaccinated. New variants of the coronavirus have appeared, and questions remain about whether China’s self-made vaccines can stop them.

The latest cases have been found in Guangzhou, capital of the southern province of Guangdong. The authorities have blamed the Delta variant, which has caused widespread loss of life in India."

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/09/world/asia/china-covid-lockdown.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

2. [I saw an article saying a country (think in Africa) had vaccinated 50% of people with a Chinese vaccine, and covid is now surging in that country. Can't find the article now. The Chinese vaccines are about 50% effective.]

3. "Covid cases jump by 25pc across Africa, stoking fears continent is unprepared for ‘third wave’"

4. "Early adopters of Chinese vaccines see case surges; China plows ahead anyway

https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/06/china-ramps-up-vaccinations-as-other-countries-back-away-from-its-vaccines/

word is that xi got the pfizer vaccine, as did the rest of the politburo. the more well-off chinese i know are hoping to get a western vaccine. they are of course vaccinating a lot of people right now, but i don't know why the western press just automatically reports the numbers the ccp gives them, as if they are factual. there are some pretty ridiculous claims made, like claiming the entirety of one city, i think guangzhou, 18.6 million people being tested in three days. it is irresponsible not to put a disclaimer saying that the source of the numbers, the ccp, have a very long history of providing false information.

argh! said:
PlayerRep said:

word is that xi got the pfizer vaccine, as did the rest of the politburo. the more well-off chinese i know are hoping to get a western vaccine. they are of course vaccinating a lot of people right now, but i don't know why the western press just automatically reports the numbers the ccp gives them, as if they are factual. there are some pretty ridiculous claims made, like claiming the entirety of one city, i think guangzhou, 18.6 million people being tested in three days. it is irresponsible not to put a disclaimer saying that the source of the numbers, the ccp, have a very long history of providing false information.

our media and sports stars have been ccp mouthpieces for years. Why would you expect something to suddenly change?

here is an older article detailing how the ccp has gone about making sure scientists in china don't disclose the real origins of the virus. since the article, the ccp has deleted something like 20 more scientific papers on the origin of the ccp's gift to the world: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/11/china-clamping-down-on-coronavirus-research-deleted-pages-suggest

AZGrizFan said:
argh! said:

our media and sports stars have been ccp mouthpieces for years. Why would you expect something to suddenly change?

didn't say i expected something to change, but it should. also, some of the best investigational pieces about xinjiang, the ccp, the ccp's virus, etc, have come from u.s. news media. when i say "best", i mean articles containing verifiable facts, not just b.s. ranting. some media, i.e. hollywood, etc, plus sports, are pathetic in their placation of the ccp. lebron james is example #1, for me. his hypocrisy in pursuit of that red money is pathetic.

Back