• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Covid Updates - Not Politics

argh! said:
Ursa Major said:

ha, i think what i wrote sounds a bit like a conspiracy theory. that was just my experience, and opinion from following the situation. anyway, the whole thing has become so politicized, a segment of almost any population will probably doubt it's veracity, or just want to.

You bring a wealth of experience and the heft of subject matter expertise to the discussion and our dusty little corner of the internet.

Unfortunately, the rise of ethnocentric authoritarianism will have us all swimming in convoluted pools of conspiracy theories for the foreseeable future.

sdk.catfish said:
PR making a whole lot of sense today on getting vaccinated but will any listen? What is confusing to me is why anyone really cares whether Covid19 came from a Chinese lab or from an unfortunate monkey, pig or chicken. What are you, personally or nationally going to do about it. China is going to do what China is going to do and their isn't a damn thing the US, or a worldwide coalition can do about it. China is now the most powerful nation in the world thanks to many years of the US being led by both political parties, accomplishing nothing. So I echo PR's sentiment, get vaccinated, wear a mask if needed, stay away from people you don't trust, and quit bitching about China.

Good grief...no. just no. China is not the most powerful nation in the world. They cannot execute global military operations. They are a regionally powerful nation with global influence. We are a globally powerful nation with global influence.

That is not to say they are not making advances to the end you describe. But, they are not there right now.

SoldierGriz said:
sdk.catfish said:
PR making a whole lot of sense today on getting vaccinated but will any listen? What is confusing to me is why anyone really cares whether Covid19 came from a Chinese lab or from an unfortunate monkey, pig or chicken. What are you, personally or nationally going to do about it. China is going to do what China is going to do and their isn't a damn thing the US, or a worldwide coalition can do about it. China is now the most powerful nation in the world thanks to many years of the US being led by both political parties, accomplishing nothing. So I echo PR's sentiment, get vaccinated, wear a mask if needed, stay away from people you don't trust, and quit bitching about China.

Good grief...no. just no. China is not the most powerful nation in the world. They cannot execute global military operations. They are a regionally powerful nation with global influence. We are a globally powerful nation with global influence.

That is not to say they are not making advances to the end you describe. But, they are not there right now.
:thumb: :clap:

SoldierGriz said:
sdk.catfish said:

Correct, China isn't even close to being the most powerful, or influential, country in the world.

The origin of the covid is very important to the world, so that world knows how to head off future threats and pandemics and be more prepared for the future. And, if the covid leaked from the Wuhan lab, the US and the world will need to be very careful about "investing" in Chinese lab in the future. And if the Wuhan lab created this covid, and either intentionally and unintentionally let it go, the world needs to kick China's butt and get huge sanctions and reparations.

Is there a way to tie this whole fiasco back to Coach Sixx? The answer to that riddle is “yes”. If we’re doing conspiracies (founded or un), we have to look at how Jeongeun Lee6 pretty much shat the bed at Olympic Club today with a 5-over 76. Her best finishes in the ANA Inspiration and Evian Championship are T6. Her 69.75 scoring average in 2019 was 6th best on tour. Before the LPGA, she won 6 times on the KLPGA. I can’t quite close the gap in tying this to China somehow, but she’s reported to love skiing in the Bozeman area. What is the license plate number for Gallatin County, again? Oh, it’s 6. Coach Sixx has his mitts in this, I know it.

SoldierGriz said:
sdk.catfish said:

china is bombarding the world with propaganda that says they are powerful, benign, etc... i've seen lots of articles in well-regarded newspapers that were mostly just cut and paste from the ccp media. they want you to think they are rich and powerful, and basically trust that if you've seen china at all, it is the shiny 'face' they want you to see. they want you to think they have the best internet in the world, but in reality it always cuts off, or is extremely slow. just like the hot water in what are considered upper-middle class apartments. as soldier says, their military power, other than nukes, is regional, and the region is pissed off at them - japan, australia, vietnam, the philippines, taiwan, thailand, south korea, etc.. anyway, they might have a corner on manufacturing cheap stuff, but where cheap stuff is manufactured can change. i wouldn't get too excited about their claims, as a chinese citizen recently put it, "our government is good at empty promises".

CDAGRIZ said:
Is there a way to tie this whole fiasco back to Coach Sixx? The answer to that riddle is “yes”. If we’re doing conspiracies (founded or un), we have to look at how Jeongeun Lee6 pretty much shat the bed at Olympic Club today with a 5-over 76. Her best finishes in the ANA Inspiration and Evian Championship are T6. Her 69.75 scoring average in 2019 was 6th best on tour. Before the LPGA, she won 6 times on the KLPGA. I can’t quite close the gap in tying this to China somehow, but she’s reported to love skiing in the Bozeman area. What is the license plate number for Gallatin County, again? Oh, it’s 6. Coach Sixx has his mitts in this, I know it.

finally, somebody gets it.

sdk.catfish said:

So much fail in this post. :roll: :roll: :roll:

AZGrizFan said:
sdk.catfish said:

quit bitching about an ethno-nationalist dictatorship with the stated goal of dominating the world, and that lies cheats and steals it's way toward that goal? i mentioned to a friend there once that since xi declared himself president for life in 2017, her shiny city (she is well-off) had started to feel like a golden cage. her response was "it isn't golden, it's just a cage". it is worse now, with the "little pinks", the ultra-nationalist youth, everywhere. and if you don't care about the people there (i do), then maybe the people of taiwan, the philippines, australia, and others who are daily being threatened? anyway, if you think the world should just passively let them pursue their goals, you have a screw loose.

after all the stuff i've posted about the ccp, i should also say that people in china have learned to deal with their surveillance state, and are otherwise not much different than you and me, striving for a decent life. much of my experience is in the more 'liberal' west, where they laugh and drink and dance and have genuine fun. sure, most self-censor all the time, but there are always rebels, some are rebels in small ways, and others who act in more bold, bigger ways. some are homeless, some are crazy, some will try to rip you off, some are openly transexual (i have a friend who might not have the equipment, but identifies as male), some will invite you into their home and serve you a meal, just to meet a 'foreigner'. their quality of life generally isn't as good as yours, monetarily speaking, but being wealthy sure isn't everything. oh, and they are getting taller and much, much fatter.

anyway, don't want people to think that people there are stupid, boring, but they have adapted to stuff that you or i would reject vehemently, mainly because that's all they know. also, they laugh at stuff like the three child policy, and publicly, at least now.

argh! said:
AZGrizFan said:

quit bitching about an ethno-nationalist dictatorship with the stated goal of dominating the world, and that lies cheats and steals it's way toward that goal? i mentioned to a friend there once that since xi declared himself president for life in 2017, her shiny city (she is well-off) had started to feel like a golden cage. her response was "it isn't golden, it's just a cage". it is worse now, with the "little pinks", the ultra-nationalist youth, everywhere. and if you don't care about the people there (i do), then maybe the people of taiwan, the philippines, australia, and others who are daily being threatened? anyway, if you think the world should just passively let them pursue their goals, you have a screw loose.

Well, consider the source of that post, argh. :lol: :lol: :lol:

AZGrizFan said:
argh! said:

Well, consider the source of that post, argh. :lol: :lol: :lol:

By chance, did either of you (or anyone else) happen to read 2034 by James Stavridis?

AZGrizFan said:
Ursa Major said:
By chance, did either of you (or anyone else) happen to read 2034 by James Stavridis?

nope....

no, looks interesting, though. the south china sea is a real flashpoint, and looks to become more of one, as xi tries to press his b.s. about the "9 dashed line", something made up on a map in china in the 1400's, then brought back by the ccp. they've got a lot of people to feed, and aren't anywhere near food self-sufficient, so part of the objective is food, the other military.

3-7-77 said:
This is a political thread, title notwithstanding.

It's not a political thread, especially if posters like Jesse keep their extreme political BS out of the thread. There is good covid and China info in the thread.

PlayerRep said:
3-7-77 said:
This is a political thread, title notwithstanding.

It's not a political thread, especially if posters like Jesse keep their extreme political BS out of the thread. There is good covid and China info in the thread.

Yeah I’m with vigilante on this one this thread is political. Pr police up the thread and crack the whip on these guys they keep spouting Chinese politics and you don’t appreciate that none too much remember?

argh! said:
AZGrizFan said:

no, looks interesting, though. the south china sea is a real flashpoint, and looks to become more of one, as xi tries to press his b.s. about the "9 dashed line", something made up on a map in china in the 1400's, then brought back by the ccp. they've got a lot of people to feed, and aren't anywhere near food self-sufficient, so part of the objective is food, the other military.

I read an article by an author that suggested a possible secondary reason for the PRC to invade Taiwan was for semiconductors. His/her take was that the loss of Taiwanese semiconductors would cripple global markets on the short-term.

The initial advantage for China would be the technological advancement. Although they always seem to be better at imitation not innovation.

AZGrizFan said:
sdk.catfish said:

Starting with the first sentence!

Jesse said:
PlayerRep said:

Yeah I’m with vigilante on this one this thread is political. Pr police up the thread and crack the whip on these guys they keep spouting Chinese politics and you don’t appreciate that none too much remember?

this thread has become political. if it gets moved, i take the blame. i did bring it off track. i took the bait. felt the hook.

Back