• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Coaching staff shakeup in Bozeman

MSU has the QBs that are better passers than Anderson
One comes to mind in the name of Luke May
He took the Whitefish Bulldogs to a class A championship over Dillon that Anderson was starting on.
Yet Luke May is on the depth chart as a defensive player?
Choate has some amazing talent for QBs yet he is scared to play them for some reason!

Just dont see what Miller can do that the others didn't do (or tried to do). He isn't going to create a passer out of TA in the next few weeks, so maybe move that Oregon transfer back to QB and hand it off to Anderson 25 times a game and try to pound the rock. That could have been dictated to the old OC as what is needed to be done. Just all seems strange mid season unless Choke is getting heat and wants to make the switch so he can say he "did something" . The old OC is a long time Choke buddy, but if I was him I'd be looking for a new job, pretty embarrassing being demoted. Also, wonder if any pay changes go along with it all this year, or does they switch jobs. yet stay at same pay until 2019

fltheadgriz said:
He took the Whitefish Bulldogs to a class A championship over Dillon that Anderson was starting on.
Choate has some amazing talent for QBs yet he is scared to play them for some reason!

May was tried at QB during Spring ball. Was not impressive. I think the Cats will use Bauman and Beltran in the coming games to some extent. They are freshman but very talented.

Ursus1 said:
Just dont see what Miller can do that the others didn't do (or tried to do). He isn't going to create a passer out of TA in the next few weeks, so maybe move that Oregon transfer back to QB and hand it off to Anderson 25 times a game and try to pound the rock. That could have been dictated to the old OC as what is needed to be done. Just all seems strange mid season unless Choke is getting heat and wants to make the switch so he can say he "did something" . The old OC is a long time Choke buddy, but if I was him I'd be looking for a new job, pretty embarrassing being demoted. Also, wonder if any pay changes go along with it all this year, or does they switch jobs. yet stay at same pay until 2019

We will see on Saturday. In his Monday pressers, Choate has been talking about the need to get more players involved in the offense. I think he reached his limit after the Weber game as the offense was worse. Thus the decision to shake things up. This also may be a move to help retain Miller after this season. Boise ST, WA, Idaho and Louisville are interested in him.

bigsky33 said:
fltheadgriz said:

May was tried at QB during Spring ball. Was not impressive. I think the Cats will use Bauman and Beltran in the coming games. They are freshman but very talented.

If those two guys are overall improvements over Andersen, then I'm afraid the coach who needs to go isn't the one who went.

CDAGRIZ said:
bigsky33 said:
fltheadgriz said:

May was tried at QB during Spring ball. Was not impressive. I think the Cats will use Bauman and Beltran in the coming games. They are freshman but very talented.

If those two guys are overall improvements over Andersen, then I'm afraid the coach who needs to go isn't the one who went.
Like I said, they are freshman so it is going to depend on how ready they are. If they can throw good passes it is a plus, but how they manage a game will be the key. I remember when they threw in Lulay as a true freshman and he did great. From a passing standpoint it would not take much to be an improvement over Anderson.

Tough ask for a young coach to coordinate with no real mentor on staff adept at coordinating a passing game. He's a smart kid though and spent 4 years learning Chris Peterson's offense. Wish him well.

fltheadgriz said:
I was tracking with you for a minute there and then you took a turn to crazy-town

If Choach wants to keep choaching, he will continue to play the Dillon LB. The kid’s a physical specimen but it’s his will and determination that will save Choach’s choaching job.
Miller will be a huge improvement. All he has to do is run one play action pass. He’s going to be hailed as a genius and it’s just a matter of not being stupid. I don’t get it, the PA-pass is by far their best passing play and they don’t ever do it or really even try to set it up. I swear the boobcats are like one of those kids that like to cut themselves.

garizzalies said:
fltheadgriz said:
I was tracking with you for a minute there and then you took a turn to crazy-town

:lol:

indian-outlaw said:
IdahoGrizFan said:
So after watching the Weber MSU game I stopped complaining about our passing game.
I agree we are better than EWU, they couldn't even score a td against WSU.
That was the Gubrud-less EWU. Is there evidence we score a TD against Weber?

garizzalies said:
If Choach wants to keep choaching, he will continue to play the Dillon LB. The kid’s a physical specimen but it’s his will and determination that will save Choach’s choaching job.
Miller will be a huge improvement. All he has to do is run one play action pass. He’s going to be hailed as a genius and it’s just a matter of not being stupid. I don’t get it, the PA-pass is by far their best passing play and they don’t ever do it or really even try to set it up. I swear the boobcats are like one of those kids that like to cut themselves.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

AZGrizFan said:
bigsky33 said:
garizzalies said:
bigsky33 said:
The offense will only get better.

bigsky33 said:
The offense can only get better.

You’ve said this twice now and I’ve heard it 1000s of times this year from Cat folk for each random fan theory involving various QB(s) scenarios and play calling.

But I gotta admit, firing/demoting the co-co-coordinators and promoting a 26yro kid to a first-time OC is maybe one of the best yet.

Yes the offense can only get better. Cannot see it getting any worse-lol. Matt Miller is a smart young man. I give Choate credit for making a change mid-stream. The job on the offensive side of the ball was not getting done. We will see how it plays out. Yes, if you are a Grizzly fan you are hoping it doesn't work-lol.

He has a linebacker playing QB. And somehow that's the OC's fault?

Who chose Anderson as the qb? Do you know? I don't.

Grizzlies1982 said:
Know what you're saying Zen but doesn't seem Idaho State defense is anything special. Which means the cats will be fortunate to get four scores.
ISU beat UND in Grand Forks; held UND to three scores, all in the first half.

Perhaps after Coach Choke's dismissal he can hook on with the farm that Coach Kramer works for?

Nice coaching tree. :thumb:

Ursa Major said:
Perhaps after Coach Choke's dismissal he can hook on with the farm that Coach Kramer works for?

He is not even close to dismissal. I would say even with no QB this season, he is doing a better job than Bobby.

bigsky33 said:
Ursa Major said:

He is not even close to dismissal. I would say even with no QB this season, he is doing a better job than Bobby.

Umm sure. Let me get this straight. Choate = third year and his guys. No QB and abysmal offensive production. Win loss record = the norm for MSU. (not as good as Ron Ash BTW). BH - first year. Some ups and some downs, but first year with new coaches and kids he did not recruit (outside of Eastwoood, Sneed and Robby, etc.). I think BH is doing about what most rational fans expected. If this was his THIRD year at the helm - I would be worried. MSU should be worried.

I'll bet the farm that Troy isn't starting next year, I don't think anyone wants him or thinks him the long term solution.

BUT he is the guy right now, however it ended up here, it is what it is. Troy is not a good passer no OC is going to change that, however I feel like he can be more effective in the passing game than he has been and that is by design and by scheme. Teams are stacking the box and playing press man and yet we keep trying bubble screens.

He is never going to be a guy who passes for 175 yards or completes 65% of his passes, or even throws any TDs but I truly believe some different playcalling and schemes can at least help us improve upon our horrendous 15 first downs per game average. We either score a 70 yard TD or go 3 and out.

bigsky33 said:
Ursa Major said:

No QB? You and all your Cats sisters were on here in the fall saying TA is a huge upgrade at QB and that losing Murray was best thing that happened to your team? What has changed? Looks like another thing in the long list or things you and your sisters are always wrong about.

Back