• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Another key cat injured

bigsky33 said:
SMU is not a body bag game. It is when you play down is when you get injuries as those teams are less skilled. You don't seem to understand football Blgs Griz Fan.
Not exactly. I believe it was Loren Utterback who was list for most of the year in either the Oregon game or Iowa game along with a couple other signicant injuries in that gsne

Gale is a very good football player. He's a senior and a leader on the field. To say he won't be missed is just plain foolish. With that said I hope he is able to come back and play. Not for anything else but himself. The kid deserves it.

bigkid said:
Gale is a very good football player. He's a senior and a leader on the field. To say he won't be missed is just plain foolish. With that said I hope he is able to come back and play. Not for anything else but himself. The kid deserves it.

I agree bigkid that Gale is very good. He will be missed. But, one player does not make a team. We DO have excellent depth. The Cats are loaded this year. There is a reason why they are picked so high in pre-season polls by coaches and media. Let the games begin. That is the real proof. I know it makes you guys feel better to think it isn't so.

Depth is always a concern at our level. When you start losing starters, it just magnifies the problem.

Is the 2nd string guy as good? Perhaps, but usually less experienced. But when you begin to really see the problem is with the guy backing up the second string guy. I mean, that guy needs a few plays off here and there, is going to get dinged up, etc. Now you've got your 3rd stinger in. That's usually not a good predicament.

bigsky33 said:
Alaska Griz said:
bigsky33 said:
Preston Gale is a super athlete. If it is serious it is bad news. However, the good news is the Cats have great depth at that positon and will be fine. The major difference this year is that there is good depth at every positon. Experience wise may not be as good but talent wise-excellent!

Wrong, yes Gale was slated as the starter as he was the best. But, with the talent we have there is not a huge drop off. In fact, it will be minimal. Obviously, you don't have much knowledge about the depth situation overall. Keep looking. You are going to be surprised!

How am I wrong? I stated something that applies to every FCS team. The griz have had great recruiting over the last few years but that doesn't make me naive as all get up if I found out they potentially lost two of their best defensive players on defense in a two week period. Your recruits are fine, but it's not like you beat out a bunch of FBS schools to get them. A little reality goes a long way. Seemingly, your two best incoming players (Brekke and Roderick) look like the ones you went head to head with us on. Wish we had them. But, besides winning on those recruits, what might that say? I think you hype up your recruits even when they might not have been as desirable as you might believe.

An example why I'm exited by this years recruiting class might be.
-Went head to head with NDSU and others for two skill players and got them both.
-Marquin Russell chose us over Army and others.
-Trayvon Van was recruited from California to Florida. Seeing him first hand, I think he's a rarity at this level.

With all that said, you're being naive to come to a Griz board and blurt out your "great depth" phrase with no examples.

grizhunter said:
EverettGriz said:
Man, I hope it isn't serious.
Pretty sure it is, he let out one hell of a scream and had to be carried off the field, such a shame.

I am watching the play right now on my DVR. The play wasn't in the trenches as one might expect where legs often get tangled, it was actually out in space on the numbers. Gale was giving chase down the line of scrimmage on a WR, while being engaged/blocked high by a guy with a number that starts with a 1. (A total guess here but it could have been Roderick, I thought he was #11, but that's just a total guess, don't qoute me on that) Gale made it out there to where the CB was being blocked as well. Although the four players were very close (2 defenders and 2 blockers) Gale didn't appear to step on them. He did go down fast though, actually got pancaked on the play. The only thing I can think of is he got hurt while being engaged and planting his leg in the turf. It wasn't real obvious to me when he actually got hurt though. It was pretty obvious that the injury was the reason he got pancaked though, otherwise I'm sure he would have kept his feet on the play.

Although there is no audio on the video, you could tell me must have screamed because all of the players on the ground imediately looked at Gale. He was laying and holding is right knee.

It may still be a bad injury, but I don't know how bad because he actually walked off the field mostly under his own power, but with an arm over the shoulder of a trainer on each side of him. He was weight bearing and walking however. The m cat players looked concerned/disheartened.

The season will tell us what kind of defensive depth you have, not you. And at the end Mr. Johnson will give it the litmus test. I like our chances.

Like, I said, injuries are a big part of the game. Preston is a really talented player. Luckily the Cats have some really good depth at this position. Yes, there will be a dropdown but it isn't that great. You guys are salivating over this. Again, like I said, I know it makes you guys all feel good. We will see in November. You guys are seriously underestimating the depth of the Cat's team.

You guys are salivating over this. Again, like I said, I know it makes you guys all feel good

Gimme a fuggin' break. Every Griz fan on here has been gracious about the injury. We just think you're full of shit regarding depth at our level (hint: you are).

bigsky33 said:
Like, I said, injuries are a big part of the game. Preston is a really talented player. Luckily the Cats have some really good depth at this position. Yes, there will be a dropdown but it isn't that great. You guys are salivating over this. Again, like I said, I know it makes you guys all feel good. We will see in November. You guys are seriously underestimating the depth of the Cat's team.

I think you have to be sick to say this or to even think it. This kid worked his butt off to play and now there is a chance he can't. Who in their right mind would wish that on anyone?

bigsky33 said:
tumblr_mh1e9sOkxc1ry2gj4o1_500.gif

SMU is not a body bag game. It is when you play down is when you get injuries as those teams are less skilled. You don't seem to understand football Blgs Griz Fan.

:shock:

Griz1 said:
bigsky33 said:

I think you have to be sick to say this or to even think it. This kid worked his butt off to play and now there is a chance he can't. Who in their right mind would wish that on anyone?

I wasn't referring to the possible injury to Gale. If it is serious it really sucks for that young man. He is a class act guy and very talented. Nobody wants anything like that to happen to any player. He has worked his butt off. When I say it makes you all feel good, I mean you don't think the Cat's have the depth I am talking about. Well, we will see as the season plays out. I say the Cats do have great depth. See you in November!

I cannot recall time since the early 80's wherein MSU beat us based on depth. It will be most surprising if it happens in November.

kemajic said:
I cannot recall time since the early 80's wherein MSU beat us based on depth. It will be most surprising if it happens in November.

Well, your about to be surprised this November. I agree, that Cat's were deficient in the depth area in the past. But, you're now in the future and the Cats are loaded. Ash has done an excellent job in building quality depth. I know it is really hard to fathom that kemajic but it is true.

bigsky33 said:
kemajic said:

Well, your about to be surprised this November. I agree, that Cat's were deficient in the depth area in the past. But, you're now in the future and the Cats are loaded. Ash has done an excellent job in building quality depth. I know it is really hard to fathom that kemajic but it is true.

So Ash has developed quality depth, ok. Is this the year he quits shitting his pants in the playoffs?

Hammer said:
bigsky33 said:
kemajic said:

So Ash has developed quality depth, ok. Is this the year he quits shitting his pants in the playoffs?

Not to be a dick, but you gotta make the playoffs in order to shit yourself. :coffee:

Hammer said:
bigsky33 said:
kemajic said:

Hammer, we will see. The question is will the Griz make it to the playoffs this year? That's why the games are played!

bigsky33 said:
No Copper, they are not falling like flies as you may hope. Yes, Gale is a great athlete. I hope it is not serious. But the FACTS are we do have excellent depth. We have guys who will step up and be really good too. That is the beauty of great recruiting over the past few years. Injuries are part of this game. They happen to all teams. Depth is what counts. The Cats are in good shape in that regard.
Really dude? I am one of the biggest Cats fans out there but we don't have anyone that can fill his shoes. I have been to practices and watched the backups and this is a tremendous loss. Take off the blue glasses and be objective for a second. Isn't that what we tell griz fans to do all the time?

This may not make or break the season but don't downplay the impact a pass-rushing DE has in college football, especially in our conference. If Coe or anyone else was good enough to start they would be starting. Get a grip!

Back