• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

UNDSU: Afraid to Play at Montana?

CDAGRIZ

DONOR
I've now heard through multiple sources that UM has inquired with the Bizon regarding getting a home-and-home going, and UNDSU is apparently unwilling to do it. What gives? It's well documented that the T-Buffs don't really play non-conference FCS road games, but one would think they would want to play in Missoula again for the exposure. The 2015 game in Missoula, which was televised nationally on ESPN, did a ton to build their brand, so I'm not sure what the deal is with this. Anybody know?

Their answer? They get plenty of exposure. Hard to find clothes that cover up all that fat.

AZGrizFan said:
Their answer? They get plenty of exposure. Hard to find clothes that cover up all that fat.

I mean, we joke, but . . . ND is maroon in a bad way.

as-graphic-obesity-in-USA-v3.jpg

I’m guessing you may have picked the wrong week to poke the buffalo. May want to check the UCD board, if it exists, to see what’s going on.

I can tell you they’ve added pumpkin spice to everything @ the gravy barn, sorry... Golden Corral, & the lines out the door in Fargo.

This is a legit question. Riley’s “inside the den” pod interviewed our CFO of Athletics Ryan Davis and he confirmed that some Mvfc teams won’t come play us, and he specifically said NDSU is one of those. I’m not sure of the reasons. Ndsu isn’t afraid to play anyone but there has to be some strategy to it. As mentioned Ndsu has only played a few games on the road in their OOC schedule who are FCS. Seems they will only go on the road to play FBS and are avoiding road FCS games. The Griz are one of the very few places they traveled to. I like how that one ended. Maybe they don’t.

HookedonGriz said:
This is a legit question. Riley’s “inside the den” pod interviewed our CFO of Athletics Ryan Davis and he confirmed that some Mvfc teams won’t come play us, and he specifically said NDSU is one of those. I’m not sure of the reasons. Ndsu isn’t afraid to play anyone but there has to be some strategy to it. As mentioned Ndsu has only played a few games on the road in their OOC schedule who are FCS. Seems they will only go on the road to play FBS and are avoiding road FCS games. The Griz are one of the very few places they traveled to. I like how that one ended. Maybe they don’t.

All of this is true, and all of it points to UNDSU being afraid to play the Griz in Missoula. My main question is: Why are they so afraid? Last I checked, any exposure is good exposure. A home-and-home with UM would only help their brand on a national scale, no matter the outcome.

Honestly, though I have no idea what the thoughts are in Fargo, but ask yourself. What good can come from them playing us? This is the same as a mid G5 team.

grizpsych said:
Honestly, though I have no idea what the thoughts are in Fargo, but ask yourself. What good can come from them playing us? This is the same as a mid G5 team.

Two words: Exposure.

I'm personally opposed to UNDSU playing at WA-Griz. I hate watching fat people cry. They look like babies and what a mess!

Although, tear receptacle could be yet another valid use of the new clear plastic bags.

Ursa Major said:
I'm personally opposed to UNDSU playing at WA-Griz. I hate watching fat people cry. They look like babies and what a mess!

Although, tear receptacle could be yet another valid use of the new clear plastic bags.

Check your privilege at the door, sir. It's 2019. We don't label them as "fat people". That's offensive. They are "The Fats", and they are nearly the same as the rest of us. #woke

CDAGRIZ said:
Ursa Major said:

Check your privilege at the door, sir. It's 2019. We don't label them as "fat people". That's offensive. They are "The Fats", and they are nearly the same as the rest of us. #woke

My apologies if I offended anyone. I have several friends that are husky and my business was one of the first completely corpulent-friendly businesses in the Treasure Valley. I still can't help it but I laugh when they call each other porcine. I of course would never utter the "P" word.

CDAGRIZ said:
Ursa Major said:

I thought we used the term "biggen's'"

At this stage, I think it is more about strategy within the FCS than it is being afraid.
Right now, NDSU is THE FCS program. They know damn well, with Hauck back at Montana, the GRIZ are 1 of the few FCS programs that can threaten them, with time.

Think about it, if Montana beats them, it gains Montana recruiting interest.
A Montana/NDSU early season game would definitely be aired on 1 of the ESPN networks.
The Montana game environment would create even more recruiting interest.
These kind of factors could, and likely would give Montana threshold into the Midwest/Central USA, which is where NDSU dominates in recruiting.

Why would NDSU want to help Montana or any other top tier FCS program in building their program? NDSU has more to lose, than to gain by doing more home and home games against Montana. Plus, they cannot afford to pay Montana the 600k plus for the GRIZ to just play there.

In my opinion, the GRIZ have to get back to the top of the FCS, without NDSU's help. Montana has to earn the opportunity to knock them off in the FCS playoffs. I think, NDSU is being vey smart in not scheduling Montana in the regular season.

There’s little doubt undsu playing at Montana would markedly increase the exposure of their program. But trying to squeeze all 17 of their fans into airline seats? Understandably, it’s simply not worth it to them.

CDAGRIZ said:
footballdood said:
What NDSU have to gain by playing Montana?

Three words: Ex posure.

I’ll bite.

What are you talking about?

They have won 7 of the last 8 National Championships, they have all the exposure they need. In the FCS world it doesn’t get any bigger than what they are right now.

There is no exposure to be gained by playing the griz. I’m not saying they shouldn’t play the griz, I just don’t think exposure for them is a strong argument as to why they should.

Exposure for the griz? Absolutely. If they played and the griz competed with or knocked them off again, that’d be great exposure for the griz.

Catsrgrood said:
CDAGRIZ said:
footballdood said:
What NDSU have to gain by playing Montana?

Three words: Ex posure.

I’ll bite.

What are you talking about?

They have won 7 of the last 8 National Championships, they have all the exposure they need. In the FCS world it doesn’t get any bigger than what they are right now.

There is no exposure to be gained by playing the griz. I’m not saying they shouldn’t play the griz, I just don’t think exposure for them is a strong argument as to why they should.

Exposure for the griz? Absolutely. If they played and the griz competed with or knocked them off again, that’d be great exposure for the griz.

I agree.

Back