• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Would you cheer for the MT team?

Spanky said:
Well, Ordigger, I guess I have flaws as I will never want the Bobcats to win at anything.

:thumb: We are all flawed at something. Even I'm not perfect. :D

EverettGriz said:
It's such a ridiculous notion. Does ANYone believe Auburn fans root for Bama teams because they're from Alabama?? Know any Spartans that root for Big Blue?? Jayhawks who cheer for KState "because they're Kansans"? Please.

Why should Montana be different? There's a REASON it's called a "rivalry".

There's a rivalry? Hell with the rivalry aren't you supposed win more than every 10 years? Or so it seems.

fanofzoo said:
Spanky said:
Well, Ordigger, I guess I have flaws as I will never want the Bobcats to win at anything.

OK me too.
I don't "hate" the cats, I just don't want them to win.

Quotation marks, the newest thing.

Don't call me reasonable PR the other guys will call me a pussy.

The notion that I, as a Montana native and Griz fan/alum, should root for the cats (or vice versa) just because that school also happens to be in this state is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. FTC

Griz2k said:
The notion that I, as a Montana native and Griz fan/alum, should root for the cats (or vice versa) just because that school also happens to be in this state is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. FTC

Best thing I've read in this thread. You get it.

:clap:

My first experience at Cat-Griz, as an out-of-state freshman, was to go to the game in Bozeman in full Griz regalia. Stayed on campus at a friend of my roommates. Cat students were the rudest, most obnoxious asshats I had ever met. They put something in my beer that made me puke and sh*t all night. Only consolation is it all ended up next to their stadium in perpetuity.

I'd rather root for the Dallas Cowboys than any Cat team, and I f'n hate and will never root for the Cowboys.

FTC FTC FTC

Part of the problem is its self induced. You treat someone like garbage, they will do the same to you (that goes both ways). Have a little respect for others, and the world sorts out it self. Tolerance. Egriz is a microcosm of all that is wrong in the country today.

For the record, I have driven around Bozeman and the MSU campus DOZENS of times, if not hundreds in a maroon colored state car, that clearly said University of Montana on the side. Did so for a couple years....and not ONE problem, not one snide remark, not one incident. Nothing but people treating each kindly. I've lived in Bozeman, proudly stated I was from Missoula - no problems.

If you're having problems....perhaps it begins with you. Every Griz and Cat fan out there should be required to give a group hug. We will kick your ass when we play you, but we will wish you well when we don't. This is what being a Montanan is about.

Good campus, good people, good stadium (not as good as ours though)....see how easy that is?

IT BEGINS WITH YOU! LET US CHANGE AMERICA STARTING WITH EGRIZ.

ordigger said:
Part of the problem is its self induced. You treat someone like garbage, they will do the same to you (that goes both ways). Have a little respect for others, and the world sorts out it self. Tolerance. Egriz is a microcosm of all that is wrong in the country today.

For the record, I have driven around Bozeman and the MSU campus DOZENS of times, if not hundreds in a maroon colored state car, that clearly said University of Montana on the side. Did so for a couple years....and not ONE problem, not one snide remark, not one incident. Nothing but people treating each kindly. I've lived in Bozeman, proudly stated I was from Missoula - no problems.

If you're having problems....perhaps it begins with you. Every Griz and Cat fan out there should be required to give a group hug. We will kick your ass when we play you, but we will wish you well when we don't. This is what being a Montanan is about.

Good campus, good people, good stadium (not as good as ours though)....see how easy that is?

IT BEGINS WITH YOU! LET US CHANGE AMERICA STARTING WITH EGRIZ.

I separate personal success from football success. When it comes to everything else in life, I absolutely wish Cat fans and anyone else well. When it comes to football success, hope they lose every game and I fully expect cat fans to hope the same for us too.

Too many people have a problem with context. They can't differentiate between the real world of life and death vs the make believe world of football rivalries. It leads to idiotic (and cowardly) behavior like keying a car with a football rival's license plate. There is no cure for stupidity so I quit worrying about it a long time ago. If my concern for the success of the Bobcats football team were detectable, it would be measured in nanogiveashits. Do I hate them? No, for the same reason I don't hate (insert your favorite pretend villain here). However when sitting watching them in movie being killed it feels pretty good to me. So even while I don't in real life care about the Bobcats, seeing them lose is still quite satisfying BECAUSE THEY ARE MAKE BELIEVE VILLIANS. Too many people just don't get that.

Griz2k said:

The notion that I, as a fourth generation Montana native and Griz fan/alum, should hate the cats (or vice versa) when that school is as much a Montana school and represents Montana evey bit as much as UM, is the dumbest, most childish thing I've ever heard … well, since the last pinhead made the same foolish, endlessly witless and redundant statement about a minute ago. Mostly, it’s just pathetic and tiiiiiiiiiiresome.

Holy crap this is ridiculous. Of course I hate the cats, and yes I want them to lose. That's called being a fan. If any of you people think that Auburn and Alabama fans root for the other team just because they make it and their team doesn't, is living in fantasy land. It's just like participation trophies. Don't want to hurt the feelings of anyone so everyone gets one...or please root for my team too since we are from the same state.
In all honesty, I have nothing against MSU as a university. Excellent school, great location, and generally a home town Montana feel in Bozeman. Doesn't mean I, or any other Griz fan, "should" root for them "because it's in Montana". It's called a rivalry for a reason. There are plenty of people that can root for both. That's great as well, but it's perfectly OK to NOT cheer for them, hate them, and/or hope they lose every game as well.

Fat Bruno said:
Griz2k said:

The notion that I, as a fourth generation Montana native and Griz fan/alum, should hate the cats (or vice versa) when that school is as much a Montana school and represents Montana evey bit as much as UM, is the dumbest, most childish thing I've ever heard … well, since the last pinhead made the same foolish, endlessly witless and redundant statement about a minute ago. Mostly, it’s just pathetic and tiiiiiiiiiiresome.

What does "representing Montana" have to do with anything?

AZDoc said:
Holy crap this is ridiculous. Of course I hate the cats, and yes I want them to lose. That's called being a fan. If any of you people think that Auburn and Alabama fans root for the other team just because they make it and their team doesn't, is living in fantasy land. It's just like participation trophies. Don't want to hurt the feelings of anyone so everyone gets one...or please root for my team too since we are from the same state.
In all honesty, I have nothing against MSU as a university. Excellent school, great location, and generally a home town Montana feel in Bozeman. Doesn't mean I, or any other Griz fan, "should" root for them "because it's in Montana". It's called a rivalry for a reason. There are plenty of people that can root for both. That's great as well, but it's perfectly OK to NOT cheer for them, hate them, and/or hope they lose every game as well.

Well said.

Griz2k said:
Fat Bruno said:
Griz2k said:

This is just another one of those children vs. adult debates. Sit up in your high chair.

AZDoc said:

Well I can guarantee I don't live in a fantasy world. I have dozens of friends that are from Alabama, and are fans of both teams. And ALL of them would prefer to see the other Alabama team kick the living daylights out of the other SEC rivals, unless of course it comprises their playoff chances. Why? Well heck, Alabamans are very proud individuals to begin with and they will cheer for their own when its not their team.

You really think Alabama fans will cheer for Ohio State to beat Auburn? lol...it's not me in a fantasy. Of course some do, but the majority do not...at least not in the real world.

And MSU is NOT our rivalry. Maybe for a short time while Idaho has been gone, but the Vandals are back - and we can all agree to NOT cheer for them .... EVER.

btw...definition of a fan...

A fan, or fanatic, sometimes also called aficionado or supporter, is a person who is enthusiastically devoted to something or somebody,

There is absolutely nothing that says cheering against someone else makes you a "fan". But then to, by many people's ideologies, maybe I'm simply a "fan" of the State of Montana, and ALL it represents.

Fat Bruno said:
Griz2k said:
Fat Bruno said:
Griz2k said:

This is just another one of those children vs. adult debates. Sit up in your high chair.

Wow, I've seen some real dipshits on this site, but you might just take the cake. Anyone that tries to tell others who they should root for is about as dumb as it gets. I have some great friends who are bobcat alumni and I couldn't imagine calling them "children" for not cheering for the Griz.

Many people who post on this forum are dual Griz/Cat fans. In fact, now it seems the majority are dual fans.

Latest posts

Back