• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Would you cheer for the MT team?

I remember this same issue being discussed on BN about 10 years ago, and I think it was MSU Toddler who noted that he knew very few fans who actually attended MSU or who actually attended UM who would root for the other when their school wasn't playing. His position was that Griz fans or Cat fans who did not attend either school didn't have that instilled hatred of the other, and would root for the other when their team wasn't playing. Over the years I've thought about what he said, and at least in my limited world his perception seems to be pretty accurate.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
The cats make it to the dance once out of every 50 years...and we end up with an article posted by a cat fan about their womens bball team......

They have no humility at Little Bro State.
Nope. We have an article that hasi nterviews of a bunch of griz fans, including Keenan C. But your conclusion helps to point out your inadequacy complex....little bro!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

br fan said:
I remember this same issue being discussed on BN about 10 years ago, and I think it was MSU Toddler who noted that he knew very few fans who actually attended MSU or who actually attended UM who would root for the other when their school wasn't playing. His position was that Griz fans or Cat fans who did not attend either school didn't have that instilled hatred of the other, and would root for the other when their team wasn't playing. Over the years I've thought about what he said, and at least in my limited world his perception seems to be pretty accurate.
Second this. I didn't grow up in Oregon but have lived here for a long time. I root for both the Beavers and the Ducks (whenever either team isn't playing the Griz) and don't really care which wins when they play one another. The hardcore fans of either school find my attitude repugnant.

br fan said:

I believe this is true for many of us. People who didn't go to either school probably don't appreciate the rivalry on the same level. That's why, those non-alums can more easily switch between rooting for either. We (e-Griz) would like to offer you back PR. He used to be a huge fan (when you were winning). We'll give you, bobcat nation, a case of beer if you will take him back.

Sincerely,
Ursa

Anyone who went to UM 1959-1963 should understand how much we dislike anything about the Bobcats and the intense hatred on both sides.
FTC!!!!

Ursa Major said:
br fan said:

I believe this is true for many of us. People who didn't go to either school probably don't appreciate the rivalry on the same level. That's why, those non-alums can more easily switch between rooting for either. We (e-Griz) would like to offer you back PR. He used to be a huge fan (when you were winning). We'll give you, bobcat nation, a case of beer if you will take him back.

Sincerely,
Ursa

I find that some of the extreme/hatred aspects of the "rivalry" come from some of the never-played-the-gamers, who must be still trying to live out their sports fantasies by living vicariously through young players and their college teams. Makes me chuckle.

PlayerRep said:
Ursa Major said:
br fan said:

Sincerely,
Ursa

I find that some of the extreme/hatred aspects of the "rivalry" come from some of the never-played-the-gamers, who must be still trying to live out their sports fantasies by living vicariously through young players and their college teams. Makes me chuckle.

Two cases of beer . . .

Player....I don't think that is true with me. I saw lots of venom, fights on both sides. Maybe that isn't the case any longer. Have Griz fans lost the edge? Is it ok to lose to the Bobcats? Maybe that's part of hearing that it will take Stitt more time until he has 5 more years to recruit his type of players while we watch his team fold on the field.

Ursa Major said:
PlayerRep said:
Ursa Major said:
br fan said:

Sincerely,
Ursa

Two cases of beer . . .
But what kind of beer?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Spanky said:
Anyone who went to UM 1959-1963 should understand how much we dislike anything about the Bobcats and the intense hatred on both sides.
FTC!!!!
It intensified through '68. But Idaho was a better rivalry when we were playing them. Everyone in MT can root against Idaho. It should get good again when they are back playing in Missoula and Bozeman.

PlayerRep said:
Ursa Major said:
br fan said:

Sincerely,
Ursa

Bobby Hauck was a "never-played-the-gamer."

EverettGriz said:
It's such a ridiculous notion. Does ANYone believe Auburn fans root for Bama teams because they're from Alabama?? Know any Spartans that root for Big Blue?? Jayhawks who cheer for KState "because they're Kansans"? Please.

Why should Montana be different? There's a REASON it's called a "rivalry".

Yes, I know plenty. What's more amazing is people "hate" their rivals. Of course that is part of the larger equation of society breaking down. People at Oklahoma don't consider OSU their main "rival", that would be Texas. People at Big Blue DO NOT consider Michigan State their main rival....that would be Ohio State. True rivals are not even in the same state....our true rival is Idaho....not MSU. UCLA is NOT USC's biggest rival that would be Notre Dame. There is NOTHING wrong with cheering for another school in your state....and those that have a problem with it, the issue is within themselves, and says a lot about their personality.

Ordigger....not understanding why many of us dislike the Bobcats says a lot about your lack of knowledge about UM history.

Spanky said:
Ordigger....not understanding why many of us dislike the Bobcats says a lot about your lack of knowledge about UM history.

Not really, been around since the 60s. Used to live next to Dornblaser. I've followed the Grizzlies for 50 years. Assuming I can guess at what you're referencing...it still shows flaws in the individual person. No problem not wanting them to win, but being a Montanan, only a fool would not want another team to win.

While at Tech, our biggest rival was Carroll. Do I hate them? OF course not...thats ridiculous, petty and immature. Did I hope they would win their NCs? Damn straight I did....recognition for my state and my conference. And btw I also went to grad school at the UM.

And did I cheer for the Bobcats to win NC's in 1976( I think) and 1984? Damn straight I did. Any true Montanan should....and would.

ordigger said:
Spanky said:

Not really, been around since the 60s. Used to live next to Dornblaser. I've followed the Grizzlies for 50 years. Assuming I can guess at what you're referencing...it still shows flaws in the individual person. No problem not wanting them to win, but being a Montanan, only a fool would not want another team to win.

While at Tech, our biggest rival was Carroll. Do I hate them? OF course not...thats ridiculous, petty and immature. Did I hope they would win their NCs? Damn straight I did....recognition for my state and my conference. And btw I also went to grad school at the UM.

And did I cheer for the Bobcats to win NC's in 1976( I think) and 1984? Damn straight I did. Any true Montanan should....and would.

Is there video of the 76 win?

kemajic said:
PlayerRep said:
Ursa Major said:
br fan said:

Sincerely,
Ursa

Bobby Hauck was a "never-played-the-gamer."

Yes, supportive of what my premise was, right?

Spanky said:
Well, Ordigger, I guess I have flaws as I will never want the Bobcats to win at anything.

OK me too.
I don't "hate" the cats, I just don't want them to win.

Quotation marks, the newest thing.

The fact that pr doesn't understand this simple premise really answers a LOT of questions I had about him.

Back