• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Who is taking QB reps this Spring?

I'm curious as to how a QB club member would be discovered if they posted something considered verboten? Are you required to provide all of your social media and message board names when you donate your money to the university?
In the past, the athletic department has noticed posts and posters, including in the donor section, that caused the department to ask some of the posters they know (say Brint, me, etc.) if we know who some posting name is. Then, the department has contacted the poster. Reports on a practice would certainly draw attention. Sometimes there have been requests from the QB Club to be sure to keep stuff quiet. It has nothing to do with donating money. It's spilling too much of what is learned by being allowed to attend practices and attend meetings.

These QB Club members can't provide anything of relevance to anyone, even if our uptight head coach keeps them shaking in fear from talking in public. These are the same geniuses who were anointing Vidlak as the next coming of Dave Dickinson. I find it hilarious that Bobby has these folks so intimidated at discussing what goes on in these super-secret society meetings, whose only criteria for getting this super-secret inside info is paying the dues.

I get what you're saying, but I haven't seen anyone trying to lord over someone else (so far) with info they can't share this spring. I haven't gone to practice, so I have no idea, either.

I guess it just doesn't bother me, and it wouldn't even if I wasn't in QB Club. It's a perk of being a member, same as the fall meetings. The people complaining about it also always seem like the same that complain in the fall about a lack of news on here from practices near dornblaser that anyone can go to. It feels a little entitled, to me.
Totally fair. I was more commenting on the entire Griz culture of secrecy and how not being able to comment about a spring practice is fitting. You’ve been around long enough to know what I’m talking about. I definitely let it bother me more than it should.

I get coaches wanting to limit information going out to the public. I also think, the amount that people pay for various clubs, memberships, etc....they should be able to do as they want with information, without repercussions.

In the past, the athletic department has noticed posts and posters, including in the donor section, that caused the department to ask some of the posters they know (say Brint, me, etc.) if we know who some posting name is. Then, the department has contacted the poster. Reports on a practice would certainly draw attention. Sometimes there have been requests from the QB Club to be sure to keep stuff quiet. It has nothing to do with donating money. It's spilling too much of what is learned by being allowed to attend practices and attend meetings.
OK, that makes sense, and is understandable. Winning is damn hard with all of the "Dirty Pool, old man!" type of antics going on. Folks with loose lips just exacerbate the difficulty. I do understand, there's a lot of livelihoods on the line. I appreciate the response.

I get coaches wanting to limit information going out to the public. I also think, the amount that people pay for various clubs, memberships, etc....they should be able to do as they want with information, without repercussions.
If that were the case they'd let QB Club come in for stretching and drills and then ask them to leave, much like the media policies for practices at bigger schools. Attending practice is additional perk, and if it gets abused, it will just go away. QB Club members are not entitled to do whatever they want with the information they observe. I say this as a member.

Didn't figure you for a nark, Hoops

If that were the case they'd let QB Club come in for stretching and drills and then ask them to leave, much like the media policies for practices at bigger schools. Attending practice is additional perk, and if it gets abused, it will just go away. QB Club members are not entitled to do whatever they want with the information they observe. I say this as a member.
I think a lot of this discussion misses a very simple point. When someone invites me to come to an event or something else that sounds like fun, but they say "hey, I want to include you, but you gotta keep this on the D/L, I don't want this getting out," then I keep my mouth shut as long as it isn't hurting anyone.

Nobody has some weird right to see what is going on at practice, and if any of you have ever shared something with me in confidence you know that it has stayed in confidence. It is just part of being courteous to the person who asks you not to share something. It isn't a conspiracy or something weird, it is just good people keeping their word when they say they won't spill the beans.

The most cost effective way of winning a war(or game)is to buy information. Suppose, hypothetically, that for the price of membership the opposing teams buy memberships in the QB Clubs(or whatever)to get information which they currently don't have. Blows to hell the super secret need. Only ones left in the dark are us average blue collar fans away from the rarified air of Missoula. Maybe of you want to know something, ask a Vandal or scat fan, or even.....read BN.😯

Would be funny to watch a public institution try to punish a citizen for their speech rights. They don't have to let you in, but once they do, you're free to say whatever you want to the outside world.

I think a lot of this discussion misses a very simple point. When someone invites me to come to an event or something else that sounds like fun, but they say "hey, I want to include you, but you gotta keep this on the D/L, I don't want this getting out," then I keep my mouth shut as long as it isn't hurting anyone.

Nobody has some weird right to see what is going on at practice, and if any of you have ever shared something with me in confidence you know that it has stayed in confidence. It is just part of being courteous to the person who asks you not to share something. It isn't a conspiracy or something weird, it is just good people keeping their word when they say they won't spill the beans.
You weren't invited to this event--you paid for it with your membership.

Would be funny to watch a public institution try to punish a citizen for their speech rights. They don't have to let you in, but once they do, you're free to say whatever you want to the outside world.
Preventing the release of confidential information is not a free speech violation. Not sure how much info would be deemed particularly confidential.

Nit allowing an offender to be in the club in future would not violate speech. To my knowledge.

Without giving anything too secret away the simple answer at QB is that they're all taking reps and getting chances to see how they work with most of the first team on offense. I think Ah Yat / Vidlak / Huot have the advantage of more familiarity with the offense while Fife is working his way in. It's hard to say at this point if Fife is going to really push Ah Yat for the job, but also I've been impressed with what I've seen from both Vidlak and Huot at times as well. I've only seen a few practices but overall I think as a group QB play has elevated, it is clear this offense doesn't really have that +1 run game that Cliff brought though.

Much like last years spring camp though a vast majority of expected starters on defense are getting far more rest as the coaches are clearly looking to see who's going to battle for depth spots. We saw this last year - the QBs were dicing up RS frosh & walk on DBs, and then come fall camp and early in the season the skill level in the secondary went way up.

Without giving anything too secret away the simple answer at QB is that they're all taking reps and getting chances to see how they work with most of the first team on offense. I think Ah Yat / Vidlak / Huot have the advantage of more familiarity with the offense while Fife is working his way in. It's hard to say at this point if Fife is going to really push Ah Yat for the job, but also I've been impressed with what I've seen from both Vidlak and Huot at times as well. I've only seen a few practices but overall I think as a group QB play has elevated, it is clear this offense doesn't really have that +1 run game that Cliff brought though.

Much like last years spring camp though a vast majority of expected starters on defense are getting far more rest as the coaches are clearly looking to see who's going to battle for depth spots. We saw this last year - the QBs were dicing up RS frosh & walk on DBs, and then come fall camp and early in the season the skill level in the secondary went way up.
As always your breakdowns are always worth reading , but what about Gage? How's he doing? Does he have a shot at all with competing with these other guys?

Disappointed to hear about the lack of a +1 run game. I really felt that was the key to last years success and that it might translate to future success as well.

Back