• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Who is taking QB reps this Spring?

Disappointed to hear about the lack of a +1 run game. I really felt that was the key to last years success and that it might translate to future success as well.
If ANYTHING was learned from last year, the need for a running QB was #1. This looks like deja vu all over again, eh Yogi?

If you look at Fife's career as a backup at Fresno state, they obviously used him as a dual threat, which is how he describes himself. I think we won't have any clue as to how good he could be in the FCS until game day. I think one of the biggest attributes to Big Cliffs game was the conference he gained when playing against lesser talent. Fife's game was good, and will translate to the Big Sky. We'll see if he's able to walk in with the same "men amongst boys" edge that Cliff had. If he does, I the we could be looking a a more complete version of Sneed with a SIGNIFICANTLY better team around him. Guess we'll see...

Fife '24-'26

Ay Yat '26-'28

I am excited that we have multiple capable options and are relatively deep at the position. Griz fans know all too well how beat up QB’s get throughout a season, and I am expecting another extended playoff run. Throw in the fact our bye is week one and we will almost certainly have some attrition at the position. I hope the best player “wins” and the others improve and stay ready. Go Griz!

We have probably the best receiving corps in UM history with Grossman coming back. Perhaps the deepest group of RB's in Griz history. Need a QB to get them the ball. I think both Ah Yat and Fife throw a better ball than Cliff. Neither will be the runner Cliff was especially if you consider his size. But I think both can move well enough that teams have to respect it.

We have probably the best receiving corps in UM history with Grossman coming back. Perhaps the deepest group of RB's in Griz history. Need a QB to get them the ball. I think both Ah Yat and Fife throw a better ball than Cliff. Neither will be the runner Cliff was especially if you consider his size. But I think both can move well enough that teams have to respect it.
I am not as hire in the receivers as you are. Bergen was first team all conference. No one else second team or honorable mention. I’d take a number of prior receiver groups.

I am not as hire in the receivers as you are. Bergen was first team all conference. No one else second team or honorable mention. I’d take a number of prior receiver groups.
Grossman best receiving TE is nation. Fontes and White more than capable of being All Big Sky. Racanelli will be tough after staying healthy all of the last year. In terms of depth potentially the best.

Not even close to the best receiver group we've had. Fontes is a liability(fumbles, drops, costly penalties etc). He's fast but, that's about it. Bergen and White are really the only proven receivers on the team. I think our offense isn't going to be as exciting as it was with McDowell. Having a run threat as a QB, is a whole different ball game. Pretty easy to beat a team when you can shut down either the pass game or run game when you know the QB can't run.

Not even close to the best receiver group we've had. Fontes is a liability(fumbles, drops, costly penalties etc). He's fast but, that's about it. Bergen and White are really the only proven receivers on the team. I think our offense isn't going to be as exciting as it was with McDowell. Having a run threat as a QB, is a whole different ball game. Pretty easy to beat a team when you can shut down either the pass game or run game when you know the QB can't run.
Go back and watch some plays he made in Davis game. Griz don't win that without him. Two incredible TD plays. Over 48 receptions with 600 yds receiving and 5 TDs is hardly a liability.

Without giving anything too secret away the simple answer at QB is that they're all taking reps and getting chances to see how they work with most of the first team on offense. I think Ah Yat / Vidlak / Huot have the advantage of more familiarity with the offense while Fife is working his way in. It's hard to say at this point if Fife is going to really push Ah Yat for the job, but also I've been impressed with what I've seen from both Vidlak and Huot at times as well. I've only seen a few practices but overall I think as a group QB play has elevated, it is clear this offense doesn't really have that +1 run game that Cliff brought though.

Much like last years spring camp though a vast majority of expected starters on defense are getting far more rest as the coaches are clearly looking to see who's going to battle for depth spots. We saw this last year - the QBs were dicing up RS frosh & walk on DBs, and then come fall camp and early in the season the skill level in the secondary went way up.
I could have wrote this without ever seeing a practice.

Go back and watch some plays he made in Davis game. Griz don't win that without him. Two incredible TD plays. Over 48 receptions with 600 yds receiving and 5 TDs is hardly a liability.
He was a liability in the playoffs. Mistake after mistake go rewatch all the playoff games. He had his moments for sure. Just so you know 600 yards is not a lot for a receiver. Let's just make that clear.

5 tds isn't impressive either. I think you helped my point if anything.

He was a liability in the playoffs. Mistake after mistake go rewatch all the playoff games. He had his moments for sure. Just so you know 600 yards is not a lot for a receiver. Let's just make that clear.
Look at Toures stats before his last here. 600 yards when you spread the ball around is a huge contribution. Go back and look at other receivers prior to their senior year. He fumbled a couple times. Bookmark this and we will see after 5 or 6 games.

Back