• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Vim's 2018 Montana High School Football Recruiting List

dayday said:
VimSince03 said:
braves84 said:
Vim, saw somewhere suslers top 4 in no particular order was Montana, msu, ndsu and und. If you were to guess who do you got first to last as favorites.thanks.

He will likely be a Griz if he doesn't get a FBS offer from a Pac-12 school like UW or Wazzu.

I agree with this but one of his good buds did just commit MSU in LB Nolan Askelson so that may help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And he was good pals with Nate Dick. And I'm sure that neither Dick or Askelson will really play a factor in Sulser's recruitment. He's getting letters and calls from everyone right now, he'll go with wherever he feels best.

brewskis said:
dayday said:
VimSince03 said:
braves84 said:
Vim, saw somewhere suslers top 4 in no particular order was Montana, msu, ndsu and und. If you were to guess who do you got first to last as favorites.thanks.

He will likely be a Griz if he doesn't get a FBS offer from a Pac-12 school like UW or Wazzu.

I agree with this but one of his good buds did just commit MSU in LB Nolan Askelson so that may help.

And he was good pals with Nate Dick. And I'm sure that neither Dick or Askelson will really play a factor in Sulser's recruitment. He's getting letters and calls from everyone right now, he'll go with wherever he feels best.

Agreed. I'm sure there is temptation to play with friends from high school, but in the end he will go wherever he feels is the best fit. If he doesn't go FBS, I think he will be wearing a griz uniform.

HowardRoss280 said:
brewskis said:
dayday said:
VimSince03 said:

Agreed. I'm sure there is temptation to play with friends from high school, but in the end he will go wherever he feels is the best fit. If he doesn't go FBS, I think he will be wearing a griz uniform.

The timing would be perfect for him to come in, and be ready to replace JLM in that position when he leaves.

Quote from Chad Newell from a Greg Rachac article for the Gazette. It basically nails the mentality of a Montana kid when they move on to play college football. The last two sentences are spot on and are relevant to UM and MSU along with the rest of the NAIA schools around the state.

“There are a lot of guys out there that have set the bar. There’s a toughness that Montana kids bring, and it’s a quality that a lot of us share, the passion for the game,” Newell said. “When you play college football in Montana, you play for that passion. Not a lot of people go to the NFL from here. Growing up it’s never a means to an end. You’re playing because you love to do it.”

G-BEARS said:
HowardRoss280 said:
brewskis said:
dayday said:

The timing would be perfect for him to come in, and be ready to replace JLM in that position when he leaves.

I agree, but I also think Gabe is can play outside better than JLM, Gabe can play slot or outside. His size could hold him back, but despite that I think he would be better outside than in the slot

HowardRoss280 said:
G-BEARS said:
HowardRoss280 said:
brewskis said:

I agree, but I also think Gabe is can play outside better than JLM, Gabe can play slot or outside. His size could hold him back, but despite that I think he would be better outside than in the slot

Yeah he does look pretty versatile. Stitt isn't afraid to move guys around either, Homan last year played both on the outside and in the slot. Although that was because of injuries, it shows his willingness to do it. No reason Sulser couldn't find playing time in multiple receiver positions.

G-BEARS said:
HowardRoss280 said:
G-BEARS said:
HowardRoss280 said:

Yeah he does look pretty versatile. Stitt isn't afraid to move guys around either, Homan last year played both on the outside and in the slot. Although that was because of injuries, it shows his willingness to do it. No reason Sulser couldn't find playing time in multiple receiver positions.

Agreed. Might as well use them if you got them

VimSince03 said:
Quote from Chad Newell from a Greg Rachac article for the Gazette. It basically nails the mentality of a Montana kid when they move on to play college football. The last two sentences are spot on and are relevant to UM and MSU along with the rest of the NAIA schools around the state.

“There are a lot of guys out there that have set the bar. There’s a toughness that Montana kids bring, and it’s a quality that a lot of us share, the passion for the game,” Newell said. “When you play college football in Montana, you play for that passion. Not a lot of people go to the NFL from here. Growing up it’s never a means to an end. You’re playing because you love to do it.”

He gets it. That's what used to be the major attraction of Griz football. Guys like Dave Dickinson. Too small, too slow to even get a look today. Colt Andersons and Marc Marianis :Walk-ons with hearts of Grizzlies. Now it's all about the metrics. We get too many kids that look good on paper. Not enough heart/dola whatever.

Buttegrizzle said:
VimSince03 said:

He gets it. That's what used to be the major attraction of Griz football. Guys like Dave Dickinson. Too small, too slow to even get a look today. Colt Andersons and Marc Marianis :Walk-ons with hearts of Grizzlies. Now it's all about the metrics. We get too many kids that look good on paper. Not enough heart/dola whatever.

My post was mostly just directed at Montana kids in general. Usually all Montana kids who play in-state have a pretty good work ethic already instilled in them. I just thought the "You're playing because you love to do it" comment was good because the large percentage of Montana kids don't worry about the star ratings, lack of recognition, etc. They just want to play football.

Zactly. My point is kids who are walk-ons Definitely do it for the love of the game. I think lots of top recruits do too, but for a lot of the super athletes with numerous big school offers it seems to become more of a career thing. Like landing a choice internship, something that can help them look good and be seen. Montana kids don't get the exposure to that kind of crap in high school.

And yes. It was a very perceptive comment. I think the kids playing at the Frontier schools are good examples.

VimSince03 said:
Buttegrizzle said:
VimSince03 said:

My post was mostly just directed at Montana kids in general. Usually all Montana kids who play in-state have a pretty good work ethic already instilled in them. I just thought the "You're playing because you love to do it" comment was good because the large percentage of Montana kids don't worry about the star ratings, lack of recognition, etc. They just want to play football.

Except he's wrong about one thing. Statistically speaking, a lot of people from Montana actually DO go to the NFL, relative to other states. I believe Montana is 5th in per-capita players in the NFL, after states like Texas, Florida, California & Louisiana. At least it was a couple years ago when there were 11-12 Montana natives in the NFL.

AZGrizFan said:
VimSince03 said:
Buttegrizzle said:
VimSince03 said:

Except he's wrong about one thing. Statistically speaking, a lot of people from Montana actually DO go to the NFL, relative to other states. I believe Montana is 5th in per-capita players in the NFL, after states like Texas, Florida, California & Louisiana. At least it was a couple years ago when there were 11-12 Montana natives in the NFL.

Correct. Per Capital I think MT was as high as no 2 Behind Louisiana a few years ago. Kind of incredible that there are 7-12 NFL players from the population the size of Portland OR.

As I complete the new rank coming out sometime next week, I just thought I'd let you guys know some of the things being taken into consideration with this newest ranking. In between the last ranking and now, there has been state wrestling, and closing up soon is state track. So both those are huge in my upcoming ranking, and I'm sure Vims as well. Also, just any word on what the players have been doing to better themselves that may not be related to the school. And the last thing, and the least impactful for me at this stage of the football season, is offers and interest for colleges. With that being said, I'm excited to get this latest ranking out there for you guys to see! And I'm sure Vim is as well!

VimSince03 said:
New ranking coming out next week....stay tuned!
As I was out of traveling for work the last couple weeks, I binged a little on the hudl clips that you posted along with your rankings.

I think one position group that jumped out to me, that I haven't seen mentioned yet, is RB. Aside from the two top guys in Turner and Schneider, I thought Jack Tetrault was impressive, and could end up on a Big Sky roster, and Bo Mortensen was tough as well. A pretty deep class at RB in my opinion.

brewskis said:
VimSince03 said:
New ranking coming out next week....stay tuned!
As I was out of traveling for work the last couple weeks, I binged a little on the hudl clips that you posted along with your rankings.

I think one position group that jumped out to me, that I haven't seen mentioned yet, is RB. Aside from the two top guys in Turner and Schneider, I thought Jack Tetrault was impressive, and could end up on a Big Sky roster, and Bo Mortensen was tough as well. A pretty deep class at RB in my opinion.

It is a pretty deep class in RB, and along with Jack and Bo these three guys also jumped out at me. All had impressive showing.
Dalton Macy (Skyview)
Lane Sumner (Huntley Project)
Ben Voss (Billings Central)
But I completely agree with you, a pretty deep RB class.

Back