• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Vim's 2018 Montana High School Football Recruiting List

birdieman said:
IntuitiveGriz said:
Paytonlives said:
BTW I love Sulser, but Drew Turner is the best player on the board.
Kid runs a 4.45 40 and under 11 in the 100 meter.

Montana dosen't usually have RB's like that...

These two are fast, dead heat practically:

100 Meters STATE Class AA - Prelims

1. 10 Damien Nelson 11.19a Charles M Russell
2. 12 John Tolentino 11.33a Helena
3. 12 Remington Hjelvik 11.39a Billings West
4. 10 Gabe Sulser 11.41a Billings Senior
5. 10 Drew Turner 11.44a Glacier

100 Meters STATE Class AA - Finals

1. 10 Damien Nelson 11.26a Charles M Russell
2. 12 Remington Hjelvik 11.29a Billings West
3. 12 John Tolentino 11.30a Helena
4. 10 Drew Turner 11.39a Glacier
5. 10 Gabe Sulser 11.42a Billings Senior

What is really crazy about these times for Sulser and Turner?? They were 16 year-old kids. Waiting to see what they do this spring, but next year as seniors?? Could be real special :thumb:

Likely aren't PR's either.

On another note, I really don't like that state track & field records in Montana can only be set at state meets. It isn't fair to kids if they have bad conditions their senior year... If you set a record time/mark that has been electrically timed at a MHSA sponsored meet, that should be the set record IMO.

Sam A. Blitz said:
birdieman said:
IntuitiveGriz said:
Paytonlives said:
BTW I love Sulser, but Drew Turner is the best player on the board.
Kid runs a 4.45 40 and under 11 in the 100 meter.

Montana dosen't usually have RB's like that...

These two are fast, dead heat practically:

100 Meters STATE Class AA - Prelims

1. 10 Damien Nelson 11.19a Charles M Russell
2. 12 John Tolentino 11.33a Helena
3. 12 Remington Hjelvik 11.39a Billings West
4. 10 Gabe Sulser 11.41a Billings Senior
5. 10 Drew Turner 11.44a Glacier

100 Meters STATE Class AA - Finals

1. 10 Damien Nelson 11.26a Charles M Russell
2. 12 Remington Hjelvik 11.29a Billings West
3. 12 John Tolentino 11.30a Helena
4. 10 Drew Turner 11.39a Glacier
5. 10 Gabe Sulser 11.42a Billings Senior

What is really crazy about these times for Sulser and Turner?? They were 16 year-old kids. Waiting to see what they do this spring, but next year as seniors?? Could be real special :thumb:

Likely aren't PR's either.

On another note, I really don't like that state track & field records in Montana can only be set at state meets. It isn't fair to kids if they have bad conditions their senior year... If you set a record time/mark that has been electrically timed at a MHSA sponsored meet, that should be the set record IMO.

From www.montanatrack.com (FAQ section):

How are state records set?

State records must be set in the actual state meet. This insures that all times and measures are accurate and that wind is not a factor.

There are a lot of meets where times are electronically timed and accurate. A lot of those invitational meets measure wind as well. No reason those times or marks would be any less credible than the state meet. It is unfair to a kid if they are putting up times and marks that are records then have bad conditions (eg: wind, snow, rain) at the state meet. For a spring sport in Montana weather has always been a factor.

In my 20 years coaching Track in this state, I have only seen wind sensors at the State Track Meets. So I would believe only the MHSA owns them and uses them at State Meets exclusively. Most meets outside of the State Meet do not have enough workers to designate a wind gauge official, thus you never see them before State. I know UM & MSU have sensors that they use for all of their own track meets.

I hope the Griz don't overlook Graves from Eureka. All he does is win. State champion in Football and undefeated state champion wrestler. Very tough athlete!

Griz406Cat said:
I hope the Griz don't overlook Graves from Eureka. All he does is win. State champion in Football and undefeated state champion wrestler. Very tough athlete!

They aren't. High on both team's lists.

I will have a lot of breakdown on offensive line prospects this year as this upcoming Montana class has about 7 kids who are good enough (in my opinion) to play at the FCS level. As of right now, Joe is my #2 OL prospect and the best offensive tackle prospect in the Montana crop with Helena Capital's Trevor Welnel being #2. The rest of the OL crop are primarily interior players and there are some good looking prospects in that group led by the Helena Capital duo of Carson Shuman and Conor Quick.

Top 10 2018 Montana OL Prospects (no order or ranking yet):

Conor Quick (Helena Capital) - 6'2", 275 lbs. - OL/DL
Joseph McElroy (Missoula Loyola) - 6'4", 240 lbs. - OL/DT
Carson Shuman (Helena Capital) 6'4", 275 lbs. - OL
Karson Wheat (Deer Lodge) - 6'2", 275 lbs. - OL/DT
Zach Fussell (Hamilton) - 6'3", 265 lbs. - OL
Trevor Welnel (Helena Capital) - 6'3", 250 lbs. - OL
Trey Copeland (Huntley Project) - 6'2", 260 lbs. - OL/DT
Dawson Hoerauf (Whitehall) - 6'2", 265 lbs. - OL/DL
Cody Hartsoch (Kalispell Glacier) - 6'5", 260 lbs. - OL
Bruce Spang (Billings Skyview) - 6'2", 235 lbs. - OL/DL

There's always the great debate over who won the in-state recruiting battle. One thing I ask every single in-state commit for either the Griz or the Bobcats is who they had offers from, who they grew up rooting for and if the school they did not choose ever had a chance. I would say 7 out of 10 in-state kids were going to go to one school or the other if offered by both, so the recruiting "battles" aren't fierce as a great many might think.

Joe McElroy from Missoula Loyola wants to go into pre-nursing, grew up a lifelong Bobcat fan who's grandfather went to MSU and was going to go to Montana State if he did not get an athletic scholarship no matter what. He did not have an offer from Montana when he committed to MSU earlier this week. His story:

Missoula Loyola lineman McElroy commits to MSU
http://skylinesportsmt.com/mcelroy-commits/

Colter_Nuanez56 said:
There's always the great debate over who won the in-state recruiting battle. One thing I ask every single in-state commit for either the Griz or the Bobcats is who they had offers from, who they grew up rooting for and if the school they did not choose ever had a chance. I would say 7 out of 10 in-state kids were going to go to one school or the other if offered by both, so the recruiting "battles" aren't fierce as a great many might think.

Joe McElroy from Missoula Loyola wants to go into pre-nursing, grew up a lifelong Bobcat fan who's grandfather went to MSU and was going to go to Montana State if he did not get an athletic scholarship no matter what. He did not have an offer from Montana when he committed to MSU earlier this week. His story:

it'd be great if this was actually a story about a Griz recruit and yes, I'm a subscriber :( but not for much longer...

Bjorn Bjornstein said:
Colter_Nuanez56 said:

it'd be great if this was actually a story about a Griz recruit and yes, I'm a subscriber :( but not for much longer...

Come on now. If we had any Montana kids who were a commit right now they would write up a similar story

HookedonGriz said:
Bjorn Bjornstein said:
Colter_Nuanez56 said:

Come on now. If we had any Montana kids who were a commit right now they would write up a similar story
I'm with Bjorn. Look at Skyline's twitter feed. Yeah....that's all cat stuff. Not a shred of Griz info. I was gonna resubscribe but I think it's just gonna continue to fund more bobcat advertisements haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brewskis said:
HookedonGriz said:
Bjorn Bjornstein said:
Colter_Nuanez56 said:

I'm with Bjorn. Look at Skyline's twitter feed. Yeah....that's all cat stuff. Not a shred of Griz info. I was gonna resubscribe but I think it's just gonna continue to fund more bobcat advertisements haha

No doubt they are geared toward Cats at a ratio of what seems like 100-1 right now. I am also hoping to see that change. However, Stitt and company have football on lock down to the media. Kyle must have better access to hoops because he does a great job there. I think the Cats give Colter wide open access and he has earned their trust and earned it through his solid reporting. I'm not sure the Griz will give Kyle that shot. I blame AJ for how he and others handled Nacarrato and others leaving. Made everything very public and then Stitt said no more.

HookedonGriz said:
brewskis said:
HookedonGriz said:
Bjorn Bjornstein said:

No doubt they are geared toward Cats at a ratio of what seems like 100-1 right now. I am also hoping to see that change. However, Stitt and company have football on lock down to the media. Kyle must have better access to hoops because he does a great job there. I think the Cats give Colter wide open access and he has earned their trust and earned it through his solid reporting. I'm not sure the Griz will give Kyle that shot. I blame AJ for how he and others handled Nacarrato and others leaving. Made everything very public and then Stitt said no more.
I don't think it's a huge deal, Stitt and Haslam can allow coverage as they see fit. Just win games and we'll get all the positive PR without the need for special treatment.

I subscribed early last fall for 6 months and yeah, there was some really solid coverage. But this offseason is just straight cats. I might pick it back up when the season starts. For me I'd rather donate for access to the egriz club than help fund a pro-bobcat marketing campaign.

I'm most interested in seeing what Aaron White of Shelby does. Grew up a griz fan both cats and griz have contacted him. His dad and assistant bobcat coach BJ Robertson know each other well. Or will he follow his brother Chase's path and try out Rocky? Going to s fun one to keep track of.

Take Vim's (Tom Wiley) list's with a grain of blue and gold salt.

The biggest glaring assumption of his last year was "his" 13th ranked WR (and the 2nd to last of the commits, #45 out his top 50) was the actual #1 WR in the state and a Griz commit.

IntuitiveGriz said:
Take Vim's (Tom Wiley) list's with a grain of blue and gold salt.

The biggest glaring assumption of his last year was "his" 13th ranked WR (and the 2nd to last of the commits, #45 out his top 50) was the actual #1 WR in the state and a Griz commit.

Braxton Reiten? He had the most yards and touchdowns....but he isn't the best college WR prospect in the 2017 class. In fact, I'd go as far to say he was the third best college level WR on his team (Trevor Hoerner and Sean Miller are better/bigger athletes). He played in a system that threw the ball at will and he produced. And when I ranked him there, that was about a month before he accepted a PWO with the Griz so it isn't like I moved him down after the signing. He has a long way to go to make a dent on the Griz WR depth chart.

Some of you seem to think that I give a rat's ass whether or not these kids want to be Cats or Griz when I rank them. I rank off what I see on film and how they project at the college level. And if you think I have a Bobcat bias, I can't help you there. What I can tell you is that Gabe Sulser, Drew Turner, Nick Germer, Conor Quick, Max Morris, and Seth Schneider are all early favorites of mine for the 2018 class and all six could very well end up being Grizzlies. I bragged endlessly about the Deming twins, Matthew Rensvold, Tanner Wilson, and Trevor Hoerner last year (and you will get my final thoughts on them when I put together the 2017 Shrine Game preview).

As a Bobcat fan, tell me to go to hell and take what I say with a grain of salt. But as a Montana high school football evaluator, I'm only improving at this from year to year. I know this state and I know the talent it holds. Keep reading...I'm pretty excited for Montana High School Football this fall.

Keep doing what you are doing and don't worry about the haters. eGriz is lucky to have somebody like you providing the information that you do.

HookedonGriz said:
Bjorn Bjornstein said:
Colter_Nuanez56 said:

Well, Here you go:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ajmazzolini/status/852979236121976833[/tweet]

Back