• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

UM Athletics seriously can't afford to get Band to Bozeman?

UMGMB said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
UMGMB said:
Sorry I haven't weighed in before now. I've been a little busy with the stuff that is going on. I am the director of the Grizzly Marching Band. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have about the situation. Here's some accurate information:
-Kent Haslam spoke to me personally about this cut and while it stinks to lose the funding, I understand why it had to happen this year. When I announced it to the band, I made it very clear that athletics always has been, and continues to be a big supporter of what the band does for Griz game day.
-The actual cost to get us to the game is $17,750.
-The bulk of this cost is The purchase of tickets for all the GMB members.
-We do not stay overnight on this trip. We did at one time but that has not been the case for several years.
-The total above covers tickets, buses, and 2 meals.
-Issues being raised about the Washington family or the Champions Center are just foolishness. There is no connection to this situation.
-So far, donations are going pretty well and it appears that we will be able to make the trip, provided we can get to the 17k goal.
-There is a Gofundme page but the official link will be through the UM Foundation as soon as they have the donation page created.

It is too bad that some people feel compelled to react in anger and with limited information. I have asked the GMB members to remain positive and focus on continuing to provide energy and enthusiasm at the games. We love Grizzly Football and Griz Nation is proving that they will get us to Bozeman to play whatever part we can in this great rivalry. Thank you to any of you who have donated so far. Go Griz!

So is the GoFundMe page that has already raised 10k linked on this topic not going toward the trip? Or will it be transferred over?

Yes, the starter of the gofundme will donate the money to the foundation for the trip.

Ok Great

tnt said:
Does go fund me still take 20%?
According to their website FAQ https://www.gofundme.com/questions/ it looks like they take roughly 8% per donation:
Does it cost anything?
While it's free to create and share your online fundraising campaign, GoFundMe will deduct a 5% fee from each donation that you receive. Since our fee is deducted automatically, you'll never need to worry about being billed or owing us any money. A small processing fee of about 3% will also be deducted from each donation. Please see Pricing & Fees for more info.

Beware of other services that claim to be 100% Free - they'll actually charge your donors instead.

UMGMB said:
For those who are interested, here is the link to the UM foundation donation page. There are sone tax advantages over gofundme.

http://www.umt.edu/music/academics/ensembles/bands/marching-band/gmb-giving.php

What's the total raised on the umt.edu site now?

Anyone who itemizes deductions on their federal tax return should make donations through this site, not the gofundme, to be able to deduct the donations (and reduce taxable income).

PlayerRep said:
UMGMB said:
For those who are interested, here is the link to the UM foundation donation page. There are sone tax advantages over gofundme.

http://www.umt.edu/music/academics/ensembles/bands/marching-band/gmb-giving.php

What's the total raised on the umt.edu site now?

Anyone who itemizes deductions on their federal tax return should make donations through this site, not the gofundme, to be able to deduct the donations (and reduce taxable income).

It’s a pretty low risk item. Go ahead and claim it on your Schedule A, even if you do it through go fund me.

Times have been worse. In the 1980's both schools were without a band. The Sentinel High School Band even bussed over to Bozeman to play halftime in a regionally televised game between MSU and Idaho. This was a time when bands were routinely given a few minutes of airtime at halftime.

AlwaysAGriz said:
Times have been worse. In the 1980's both schools were without a band. The Sentinel High School Band even bussed over to Bozeman to play halftime in a regionally televised game between MSU and Idaho. This was a time when bands were routinely given a few minutes of airtime at halftime.

This is true. There was a period of time (70's and early 80's) when the marching band didn't exist. There are several reasons for this but we've been trying to grow the band and be a effective part of the games for the last 15 years.

As for halftime, College Band Director's National Association (CBDNA) has been exploring the possibility of getting more TV coverage of halftime shows like they used to provide. Some conferences are already making the halftime shows available online. One idea they had was to create a fund/endowment that would purchase advertising space from the broadcasters and then use the time to show some of the halftime performance instead of the normal ads. It gets pretty complicated with so many different stations and the number of games that take place each week. I can't imagine what the price tag would be for that much broadcast time.

For our situation with the Griz/Cat game, I am checking with the UM Foundation today to see how many donations have come in. Since there will be fees associated with the Gofundme campaign, I'm hoping that between the 2 sources we will have enough to fund the trip. I think it is looking good - especially since we still have a few weeks before the game. It is safe to say that the GMB will be in Bozeman to support the team and Griz Nation! Thank you to all who have helped out!

UMGMB said:
AlwaysAGriz said:

This is true. There was a period of time (70's and early 80's) when the marching band didn't exist. There are several reasons for this but we've been trying to grow the band and be a effective part of the games for the last 15 years.

As for halftime, College Band Director's National Association (CBDNA) has been exploring the possibility of getting more TV coverage of halftime shows like they used to provide. Some conferences are already making the halftime shows available online. One idea they had was to create a fund/endowment that would purchase advertising space from the broadcasters and then use the time to show some of the halftime performance instead of the normal ads. It gets pretty complicated with so many different stations and the number of games that take place each week. I can't imagine what the price tag would be for that much broadcast time.

For our situation with the Griz/Cat game, I am checking with the UM Foundation today to see how many donations have come in. Since there will be fees associated with the Gofundme campaign, I'm hoping that between the 2 sources we will have enough to fund the trip. I think it is looking good - especially since we still have a few weeks before the game. It is safe to say that the GMB will be in Bozeman to support the team and Griz Nation! Thank you to all who have helped out!

Get the marching band to start forming the Tostitos logo in their marching lines...and Im pretty sure the band could do the Nation Wide is on your side jingle....

Problem solved.

Back