• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

UM Athletics seriously can't afford to get Band to Bozeman?

BadlandsGrizFan said:
BWahlberg said:
Man, this is all over some facebook threads too. Posters blaming the Washington Family (!), blaming football, blaming anyone they can... which is all dumb. Athletics has made it's own cuts despite being revenue positive but unfortunately with all of the cuts seen on campus they've presumably had to make some tough decisions, like this one, as well.

I believe there's a push to fundraise a day trip over for the band, hope it can work out.

Can you elaborate on the facebook threads???

I'm knee-deep in arguments on a KPAX post. Basically it's a collection of posters saying the Washington Family should have helped covered this, or the UM should have covered it, or that the band is what makes the program, or that maybe football should cancel a game to "save money", and so on.

I'm not aware of all the funding and costs of the band but aware one local doctor has ponied up pretty good each year for 20+ years. I'm also not aware if the band members themselves are compensated at all or if school credit can be earned by participation. One thing that seems certain is that band members make a big time commitment with their efforts. Lots of practice and the time spent before during and after home football games. Most probably love the whole experience but some may be in it for a stipend or credit.....or possible the every other year little reward trip they get when they travel to the MSU game.

I can certainly see how costs like this must be watched very closely (and possibly cut from) the general athletic department budget. But when you see some of the over the top money that's spent (Champions Center) it's kind of unfortunate more private funding isn't earmarked for events like this.

Band members deserve lots of thanks. To assume they'd all readily jump on a bus, race to Bozeman, play at the game, eat a bag lunch then race home isn't giving them much.

BWahlberg said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
BWahlberg said:
Man, this is all over some facebook threads too. Posters blaming the Washington Family (!), blaming football, blaming anyone they can... which is all dumb. Athletics has made it's own cuts despite being revenue positive but unfortunately with all of the cuts seen on campus they've presumably had to make some tough decisions, like this one, as well.

I believe there's a push to fundraise a day trip over for the band, hope it can work out.

I'm knee-deep in arguments on a KPAX post. Basically it's a collection of posters saying the Washington Family should have helped covered this, or the UM should have covered it, or that the band is what makes the program, or that maybe football should cancel a game to "save money", and so on.

The answer is that the athletic dept. should have come up with a more affordable alternative, let some boosters know that they needed a few thousand, and perhaps asked the band members to chip in a bit. Think the spirit squad is not caught up in this, as they have other transportation. Assume they are day tripping but don't know.

I agree that the Athletics department should be looking into a more affordable alternative. I think making it a day trip would be a nice alternative and not doing hotel rooms on Friday night before the game (although that a nice perk and reward to the Band members if that been done in the past). I assume the band members can get a ticket that isn't $70 per person, student ticket cost? The game in Bozeman is every-other-year, does the band go to Eastern Washington when in Cheney? Do they get one road game per year? This has nothing to do with the Washington's donations and isn't a decision by them. It is a UM funding issue which currently the athletic department/school are in budget cuts.

Does anyone know how band members are compensated over the course of the year? For that matter, how does UM compensate the Cheerleaders and Dance Team?

PlayerRep said:
Ringneck said:
Brother Bear said:
UM’s Director of Athletics Kent Haslam said the trip cost the Athletic Department roughly $25,000 for the 130 plus marching band members to attend the game. According to Haslam, the cost included buses, food, hotel rooms and tickets.

I'm actually surprised at how little it costs to get them all there for a couple of days. That's about $200 per student for a two-day trip.

How can it possibly be $200 for a day trip? What is the cost of a bus, and how many do they need?

Look at the cost of the booster bus day trip from Missoula. It isn't $200 per person. "The cost of the Griz-Cat trip is $150 per person which covers transportation, snacks and beverages on the bus, and a game ticket." Note that boosters would pay full ticket prices. Assume the band would "pay" at the student price level. There's a $50 savings there.

Try to negotiate a better ticket price for band. It adds to the atmosphere.

http://www.gogriz.com/news/2017/10/3/gsa-limited-seating-for-the-booster-bus-to-bozeman-november-18.aspx?print=true

They don't need to charter a plane? Ha.

As you said, PR, $150 the boosters pay for their roady doesn't include the cost of lodging or meals. Those costs would easily exceed $50 per student for a 24-hour trip with an overnight stay. I would also assume that $25,000 figure includes the costs for the pep band faculty, student assistants, and other department personnel. I don't know how many additional people that is, but it's gotta be more than a handful. I'm telling ya, $200 a person ($192 to be exact) doesn't seem excessive when you break it all down.

I wonder how much it costs the team and all of its personnel to make the same trip. Or how much it costs for the members BoR and all the Montana public college presidents to make it to their meetings in Bozeman that coincide with the annual Cat/Griz affair.

If I were them, I’d transfer. I hear MSU’s marching band gets treated well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...old stanford band..before they were band...
...everybody get there anyway you can...
...bring the instrument..fcuk the uni...
...play like hell..get back to school...

... :shock: ...

There was a guy on Facebook who also said, "So the private donations give a multi million dollar locker room but not enough for a bus ride...."

Unbelievable... It's amazing how many people have been blasting the football program for the funding they get (all through private donations) and think that it's "not fair" that other programs don't get the same funding. If other programs, like the GMB, want to have funding to do stuff, they need to be proactive and go out and raise the funds or ask for donations. The lack of funds for the GMB wasn't caused by fans or the football program. Stop blasting the Washington family and fans who choose to donate money to wherever they choose. I played in the GMB for two years, and I get that people are disappointed they might not get to go to Bozeman this year, but I don't understand how people can't grasp this concept that people get to choose where they donate their money.

Brother Bear said:
I agree that the Athletics department should be looking into a more affordable alternative. I think making it a day trip would be a nice alternative and not doing hotel rooms on Friday night before the game (although that a nice perk and reward to the Band members if that been done in the past). I assume the band members can get a ticket that isn't $70 per person, student ticket cost? The game in Bozeman is every-other-year, does the band go to Eastern Washington when in Cheney? Do they get one road game per year? This has nothing to do with the Washington's donations and isn't a decision by them. It is a UM funding issue which currently the athletic department/school are in budget cuts.

Does anyone know how band members are compensated over the course of the year? For that matter, how does UM compensate the Cheerleaders and Dance Team?

In years past the UM band would travel to Eastern. However, I don't recall that they have done so for several years, I could be wrong there.

I, like most posters, cannot figure out who the University cannot find a more affordable way to get the band to the game via a day trip. Hard to imagine taking away the overnight stay factor would not greatly decrease the cost of the trip. This is the only away game which I feel needs the UM band to attend, mainly for recruiting purposes. Hopefully the article stirs up enough conversation to make it happen.

BWahlberg said:

Yea, I have seen some weird FB rants like this floating around lately.

Don't think the band has stayed overnight in recent trips for the Cat game anyhow. Don't think the $25,000 figure is accurate. If the booster bus costs $150 per person with the expensive tickets, then the band should be able to do it for $100 per person, or less. How many in the band? I heard 3 busses. My wild guess is that this will get worked out, eventually, but who knows.

bigtyme said:
BWahlberg said:

Yea, I have seen some weird FB rants like this floating around lately.

Personally, I think stuff like this hurts football, as people who don't like football may like the band or may just want to bash football, or its $7 million donor family.

PlayerRep said:
... Don't think the $25,000 figure is accurate. ... My wild guess is that this will get worked out, eventually, but who knows.
Totally have no idea beyond the numbers we've seen. However, have had way too much experience with "funny money" accounting practices by big-gish organizations. My "wild guess" is that the problems lie in some arcane (?) accounting game involving "green" money vs "purple" -- with some funds being allowed for some things, but not for others. And, of course, the possibility of "user fees" that might make it more expensive to use a university bus than to hire a charter (and no, I am not kidding). Add in one more point: It's a major advantage to inflate the cost of something as much as possible, before you eliminate it. Then you get to crow about how much money you've "saved." 'Nuf said.

Mousegriz said:
I'm not aware of all the funding and costs of the band but aware one local doctor has ponied up pretty good each year for 20+ years. I'm also not aware if the band members themselves are compensated at all or if school credit can be earned by participation. One thing that seems certain is that band members make a big time commitment with their efforts. Lots of practice and the time spent before during and after home football games. Most probably love the whole experience but some may be in it for a stipend or credit.....or possible the every other year little reward trip they get when they travel to the MSU game.

I can certainly see how costs like this must be watched very closely (and possibly cut from) the general athletic department budget. But when you see some of the over the top money that's spent (Champions Center) it's kind of unfortunate more private funding isn't earmarked for events like this.

Band members deserve lots of thanks. To assume they'd all readily jump on a bus, race to Bozeman, play at the game, eat a bag lunch then race home isn't giving them much.

Great post, Mouse.

Mousegriz said:

The band is part of what makes Griz games awesome.

FWIW, here are the stipends paid to GMB members:

$1,000 for 1st year and 2nd year members
$1,250 for 3rd year members
$1,500 for 4th year and above!

Depending on course load, some GMB members have to pay for the one credit course.

Not a lot given the hours they invest.

BWahlberg said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
BWahlberg said:

:shock: forfeit the game and send the band anyway :lol: :lol:

https://www.gofundme.com/help-the-gmb-get-to-bozeman

According to that link the goal is to raise $5,000 and then the band can make it to Bozeman for the game? They are almost to $1,000 of their $5k stated goal.

I waiting for the day when some numbnuts friz poster claims because MSU funds sending their band and um has to have bakesales to send theirs, the BOR should somehow give um more money

Brother Bear said:
https://www.gofundme.com/help-the-gmb-get-to-bozeman

According to that link the goal is to raise $5,000 and then the band can make it to Bozeman for the game? They are almost to $1,000 of their $5k stated goal.

$5,000 is the goal, but that's not enough alone to send the band. $5,000 would just add to whatever funds are available and hopefully be enough to allow the band to go to Bozeman.

Back