• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

UM Athletics seriously can't afford to get Band to Bozeman?

zengriz said:
...old stanford band..before they were band...
...everybody get there anyway you can...
...bring the instrument..fcuk the uni...
...play like hell..get back to school...

... :shock: ...

Was just about to post something similar. Aren't they still welcome at the game if they can get there?
Bring your uni and instrument, pile into some cars, and show up anyway. I bet if the U said it didn't have enough money to charter a bus for the FB players/staff, every single one of them would find a way to get to Bozeman before kickoff. I seriously doubt the band is concerned about missing out on a three-hour bus ride and a 6-inch Subway before sleeping at a Quality Inn.

get'em_griz said:
There was a guy on Facebook who also said, "So the private donations give a multi million dollar locker room but not enough for a bus ride...."

Unbelievable... It's amazing how many people have been blasting the football program for the funding they get (all through private donations) and think that it's "not fair" that other programs don't get the same funding. If other programs, like the GMB, want to have funding to do stuff, they need to be proactive and go out and raise the funds or ask for donations. The lack of funds for the GMB wasn't caused by fans or the football program. Stop blasting the Washington family and fans who choose to donate money to wherever they choose. I played in the GMB for two years, and I get that people are disappointed they might not get to go to Bozeman this year, but I don't understand how people can't grasp this concept that people get to choose where they donate their money.

It's the modern way...social justice warriors believe they should be able to "shame" the Washington family into giving to the parts of the university that THEY deem appropriate.

PlayerRep said:
Don't think the band has stayed overnight in recent trips for the Cat game anyhow. Don't think the $25,000 figure is accurate. If the booster bus costs $150 per person with the expensive tickets, then the band should be able to do it for $100 per person, or less. How many in the band? I heard 3 busses. My wild guess is that this will get worked out, eventually, but who knows.

If I recall, the band usually leaves the Adams Center for Bozeman in the wee hours on Saturday morning, and usually 3 buses. (There are around 130 band members +/-) They get an early lunch (which is probably provided by MSU but paid for by UM.) They play the game and halftime with the MSU band, and then boogie home post-game. No hotels. Not a lot of extra frills there so I'm also wondering at the announced price tag, unless the cost of game tickets, buses, and food (ie campus catering) have gone up.

EDIT: They used to get one overnight trip a season, but the last one was 2013, so that is probably where the hotel conversation is coming from.

I also think this will happen, but agree the optics are wonky.

Come to school at UM, where we can't afford for our band to represent us at the biggest sporting event in the state!

Just figure out how to make it happen. Have a F*%kin bake sale

Issue further underscores a dire financial scenario for UM.

Nothing left eventually for extra curricular activities.

PlayerRep said:
Does it really cost $25,000 to take band to Bozeman? What about a day trip? What about kids paying for the own meals, or packing some food? What about a day trip for some, and hotel only for the kids who want to pay a bit for it or raise some money?

What about the athletic department kicking in a few thousand, some boosters putting up some (I would consider a $1,000), and the kids raising or paying the rest)?

Does UM not realize the negative publicity hit and possible negative impact on enrollment? This is not good for UM. "Why go to UM, their enrollment is down so much and continuing to go down, their budget cuts are steep and still occurring (they are cutting courses and profs), that they can't even afford to take their band to the Cat game.

I understand budget problems and budget cuts, but I think this will get so much attention that it will ultimately cost UM a lot more than $25,000 in lost enrollment.

I just can't imagine that there isn't a solution that would cost much less than $25,000.

agree here, this is a day trip.....my goodness billings football teams travel, play game and travel home from great falls all the time.....fuel and food are the big costs.....geez.

Have to say this is a sad deal. When the Champions Center was looking for donations for a good cause I stepped up. When they built The Plaza I stepped up. Think l’ll Step up again. Gotta have the band.....

Go Griz!

get'em_griz said:
Brother Bear said:
https://www.gofundme.com/help-the-gmb-get-to-bozeman

According to that link the goal is to raise $5,000 and then the band can make it to Bozeman for the game? They are almost to $1,000 of their $5k stated goal.

$5,000 is the goal, but that's not enough alone to send the band. $5,000 would just add to whatever funds are available and hopefully be enough to allow the band to go to Bozeman.

They need to set it up so that donations go to the university or the foundation, so that donations can be deductible. Let Uncle Sam share in the cost, which allows people to increase the size of their donations. Donations to the U, the Foundation, and to the team through certain accounts, and for the extra costs of tickets and boxes, are deductible. Assume the GoFundMe isn't.

PlayerRep said:
get'em_griz said:
Brother Bear said:

According to that link the goal is to raise $5,000 and then the band can make it to Bozeman for the game? They are almost to $1,000 of their $5k stated goal.

$5,000 is the goal, but that's not enough alone to send the band. $5,000 would just add to whatever funds are available and hopefully be enough to allow the band to go to Bozeman.

They need to set it up so that donations go to the university or the foundation, so that donations can be deductible. Let Uncle Sam share in the cost, which allows people to increase the size of their donations. Donations to the U, the Foundation, and to the team through certain accounts, and for the extra costs of tickets and boxes, are deductible. Assume the GoFundMe isn't.

From what I read on Facebook according to GMB's band director Dr. Griggs, he said to send the funds raised from GoFundMe directly to the UM foundation. I'm not sure if you can funnel donations in GoFundMe to a certain account like the foundation.

Just saw on Facebook...it appears they need a total of $17,000 to make this happen. So even if the gofundme page reaches it's goal, they will still require additional fundraising avenues.

get'em_griz said:
PlayerRep said:
get'em_griz said:
Brother Bear said:

From what I read on Facebook according to GMB's band director Dr. Griggs, he said to send the funds raised from GoFundMe directly to the UM foundation. I'm not sure if you can funnel donations in GoFundMe to a certain account like the foundation.

I would guess that a check to the UM Foundation c/o of the Athletic Department, with a notation in the memo line for "UM Band", would get to the right place. Then, the Foundation would eventually send an official confirmation of receipt of donation to the sender of the check.

The.Real.2506 said:
BWahlberg said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
BWahlberg said:
Man, this is all over some facebook threads too. Posters blaming the Washington Family (!), blaming football, blaming anyone they can... which is all dumb. Athletics has made it's own cuts despite being revenue positive but unfortunately with all of the cuts seen on campus they've presumably had to make some tough decisions, like this one, as well.

I believe there's a push to fundraise a day trip over for the band, hope it can work out.

Can you elaborate on the facebook threads???

I'm knee-deep in arguments on a KPAX post. Basically it's a collection of posters saying the Washington Family should have helped covered this, or the UM should have covered it, or that the band is what makes the program, or that maybe football should cancel a game to "save money", and so on.
:shock: forfeit the game and send the band anyway :lol: :lol:

Seriously I think a few would've supported an action like that

grizpsych said:
Better elect more state reps and senators that will further cut funding for higher education...
It is amazing to me, how Montana residents refuse to tax themselves to support excellent schools that provide so much to a state that does. Every time I read that the "Washington family should....." I cringe. Hard to believe that Montana once was the envy of many Western universities.
As for the Stanford band, things don't work exactly as they are mentioned here...

I noticed https://www.gofundme.com/help-the-gmb-get-to-bozeman

site was at about $5800, and goal increased to $10,000.

I really hope this happens.

ya man everyone go hit the fund me site....this should totally be doable after next week.

The school should also feel ashamed of its fans having to foot the bill to pay for this...I donated but this is really just sad.

I would honestly feel sick seeing our fans and supporters have to handle this....

It does show how great Griz nation is tho. Our Fans and Supporters continue to be the only ones who step up to the plate financially for this university...the people put in place to run the finances continue to fail.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
ya man everyone go hit the fund me site....this should totally be doable after next week.

The school should also feel ashamed of its fans having to foot the bill to pay for this...I donated but this is really just sad.

I would honestly feel sick seeing our fans and supporters have to handle this....

It does show how great Griz nation is tho. Our Fans and Supporters continue to be the only ones who step up to the plate financially for this university...the people put in place to run the finances continue to fail.

Lets hope that the new president changes some of this.

Back