• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

That time of the season again: Who do you want as Head Coach if Stitt gets the boot after this season

I tired to persuade Kent to get Eric Taylor when Mick retired. He's my only choice "Clear eyes full hearts". If he's still not interested, keep Stitt.

Always a bad sign for a head coach when this discussion begins after game four; your friend, yogi

HelenaHandBasket said:
yogi said:
Always a bad sign for a head coach when this discussion begins after game four; your friend, yogi

It actually started before game one.

I think Greeley lit the fire for many. And the week after that.

Man, I'm not much of a fan of stitt anymore (hope he turns it around, but that defense is awful), but this thread confirms that the AD doesn't have many great options if he decides to replace him after this year...

HelenaHandBasket said:
pyroguy said:
Well how about currently unemployed Jeff Fisher who was recently seen buying groceries in Bozeman so he is already here and has connection to Montana.

I don't think Fisher is a good coach. Any Ram fans that would like to chime in?
There's a big difference though between NFL and FCS. If Fisher coached the griz I think he'd be a hell of a coach.

UTGrizFan said:
Ivin Jasper, O Coordinator from Navy, would love to see the Triple Option being used by the Griz and would bring the discipline and attitude from a military academy.

Fuck that! Not to be a dick but I for one cannot stand triple option teams. Have never liked those types of offenses, and never will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We can argue and analyze, point fingers and pick things apart until we are blue in the face but take this season, and this season only and look at the whole picture. Other than (against) Washington, Stitts, offense put up 40+ points in each of the other three games. Not exactly a great measure but I feel two of those defenses we were up against didn't suck. Likely not near as good as we are about to face in the next few games but they had a plan, and put up a fight.

Stitt's offense and now, Stitts recruits (and freshman QB) for the most part. Depending on how the next couple games play out, win or lose if our offense, directed by Stitt and ran by Gresch continues to put up big numbers, and throughout the season for that matter, it would seem counterproductive to start over with a new Head Coach/OC.

The guy has been keeping the players out of Florio articles, I believe his recruits DO have the talent, smarts and are fairly well behaved young men. They want to be here and they do believe in him and his system.

Sure he is ultimately responsible for all aspects of his staff and players, but if his offense (specifically) continues to jive this year, with his "dudes," would we really want him gone or just changes on the other side of the ball?

First, I guess we will see how the season plays out, maybe the defense will grab a gear, maybe the offense will stumble. He might not even have the option to make personnel changes after this season, as he may no longer be an employee of Montana, but again, if the his offense is clicking would we really want to start from scratch again?

I know, I know, not essentially starting from scratch but you know how that usually works especially when a new head coach comes in with a totally different philosophy and system than the previous.

signedbewildered said:
We can argue and analyze, point fingers and pick things apart until we are blue in the face but take this season, and this season only and look at the whole picture. Other than (against) Washington, Stitts, offense put up 40+ points in each of the other three games. Not exactly a great measure but I feel two of those defenses we were up against didn't suck. Likely not near as good as we are about to face in the next few games but they had a plan, and put up a fight.

Stitt's offense and now, Stitts recruits (and freshman QB) for the most part. Depending on how the next couple games play out, win or lose if our offense, directed by Stitt and ran by Gresch continues to put up big numbers, and throughout the season for that matter, it would seem counterproductive to start over with a new Head Coach/OC.

The guy has been keeping the players out of Florio articles, I believe his recruits DO have the talent, smarts and are fairly well behaved young men. They want to be here and they do believe in him and his system.

Sure he is ultimately responsible for all aspects of his staff and players, but if his offense (specifically) continues to jive this year, with his "dudes," would we really want him gone or just changes on the other side of the ball?

First, I guess we will see how the season plays out, maybe the defense will grab a gear, maybe the offense will stumble. He might not even have the option to make personnel changes after this season, as he may no longer be an employee of Montana, but again, if the his offense is clicking would we really want to start from scratch again?

I know, I know, not essentially starting from scratch but you know how that usually works especially when a new head coach comes in with a totally different philosophy and system than the previous.

Depending on what type of coach would be brought in..YES we would be starting from scratch. This program has had several coaching changes going on seven seasons now?? If a new coach comes in, we are back to square one again, and when the next coach can't get it done in one season or two seasons, FIRE the jerk, he cant get it done, off with his head, then it all starts over again. We need stability in this program that is whats missing. Hell, keep Stitt as HC, but bring in Pflu as OC and Jerone as DC(wouldn't that be something to watch develop) the season isn't over, we will see what this team and coaching staff has in it! It would have been nice to come away with a win this past weekend..but we didn't...DON'T GIVE UP YET!!!!

Griz til I die said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
pyroguy said:
Well how about currently unemployed Jeff Fisher who was recently seen buying groceries in Bozeman so he is already here and has connection to Montana.

I don't think Fisher is a good coach. Any Ram fans that would like to chime in?
There's a big difference though between NFL and FCS. If Fisher coached the griz I think he'd be a hell of a coach.

Maybe, but I don't buy it.

I honestly feel, we should be considering who could be a new DC. Stitt's offense consistently does it's job by putting up 35+ points.

Blgs Griz Fan said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
Spanky said:
Bobby, if we can get him. He isn't an Offensive Genius, he just wins football games.

Except the ones that matter. Lots of participation trophies with that guy.

I would be perfectly happy to win the conference, have 3 home playoff games, lose in the championship and be ranked no. 2 in the country every year,.

Ditto! Plus Bobby always had the players ready and conditioned to play the entire game. It seems to be our conditioning programs has dropped off since he left.

When Bobby was coach I felt the Griz could play and hang with a good many even at the FBS ranks and especially if played within WA Griz. There was a confidence and swagger about the team. Truthfully we have not had it sense in my opinion.

Think about that App State home playoff game! That was electric night, event and memory. Truly the height of Griz nation.

The home game and win against NDSU to start Stitts time as coach was a big deal too. That win gave so much hope to Griz nation that that Hauck type era had returned. We know see that does not appear to be the case.

If Stitt can't turn this into a winning season and at least get into the first round of the playoffs he should be let go. UM can ill afford to have another poor season next year, especially with the new Champions Center and the recruiting tool it's meant to be. You can have all the talent in the world but if your coaches can't game plan why would a top recruit want to come to UM? Having a nice facility won't mean squat if recruits decided to go to EWU or another program that's able to win. At that point the new Champion Center is a whole lot of money for what???

ORGUNGRIZ said:
Blgs Griz Fan said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
Except the ones that matter. Lots of participation trophies with that guy.

I would be perfectly happy to win the conference, have 3 home playoff games, lose in the championship and be ranked no. 2 in the country every year,.

Ditto! Plus Bobby always had the players ready and conditioned to play the entire game. It seems to be our conditioning programs has dropped off since he left.

When Bobby was coach I felt the Griz could play and hang with a good many even at the FBS ranks and especially if played within WA Griz. There was a confidence and swagger about the team. Truthfully we have not had it sense in my opinion.

Think about that App State home playoff game! That was electric night, event and memory. Truly the height of Griz nation.

The home game and win against NDSU to start Stitts time as coach was a big deal too. That win gave so much hope to Griz nation that that Hauck type era had returned. We know see that does not appear to be the case.

If Stitt can't turn this into a winning season and at least get into the first round of the playoffs he should be let go. UM can ill afford to have another poor season next year, especially with the new Champions Center and the recruiting tool it's meant to be. You can have all the talent in the world but if your coaches can't game plan why would a top recruit want to come to UM? Having a nice facility won't mean squat if recruits decided to go to EWU or another program that's able to win. At that point the new Champion Center is a whole lot of money for what???

Bobby did win a ton of games for the Griz, but many forget his lack of a relationship with the athletic department. He didn't like them and they didn't like him. There was a time when he literally refused to speak in person with the AD and would only communicate via email. No offense to the Bobby lovers out there, but why would anyone in the athletic department want him to come back and start that nightmare all over again? There is no guarantee he would even have the same success. This thread in theory is interesting, but there are far to many people who have clouded judgment and cant look at anyone other that BH because they either "friends" with him or he won a ton of game in his tenure at UM. Objectively speaking, is he really the best option given all that he comes with.

And on another note, if Stitt is indeed fired, what happens when the next coach doesn't get the Griz to the playoffs his first two seasons? Do we fire him too? If we become known for giving new head coaches a short leash, no coach is going to want to come here

griznative24 said:
Man, I'm not much of a fan of stitt anymore (hope he turns it around, but that defense is awful), but this thread confirms that the AD doesn't have many great options if he decides to replace him after this year...

There are always great options.

Latest posts

Back