• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

That time of the season again: Who do you want as Head Coach if Stitt gets the boot after this season

AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
Spanky said:
Bobby, if we can get him. He isn't an Offensive Genius, he just wins football games.

Except the ones that matter. Lots of participation trophies with that guy.

I would be perfectly happy to win the conference, have 3 home playoff games, lose in the championship and be ranked no. 2 in the country every year,.

well, people weren't too happy with BH's performance (as you just described) WHILE he was here...always bitching about his inability to win the big one. Grass isn't always greener.

I may have bitched about the way we won sometimes, and certainly bitched about losses, but never once did I bitch about bobby never winning the big one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RobGriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Spanky said:
Bobby, if we can get him. He isn't an Offensive Genius, he just wins football games.

Once again, he did wonders at UNLV.
I'm not sure you can use that as a fair comparison really. I don't believe anyone can win there. Just my $.02.

His statement was "he just wins football games". How does UNLV play into that?

I think it is all relative. Right now I think we would all take the success we had with Bobby but I think losing the championship game more than once without winning one would and did cause a lot of complaining from resident egrizzers. There may be some that truly would be okay with perennial second place finishes but those people would be few and far between. I am not saying Bobby couldnt win a championship as I think he could. He just didnt prior to leaving and I think there was quite a bit of anger/disappointment/frustation that is thankfully being forgotten by some.

Pflu ultimately fell on the sword for the transgressions of Bobby's teams. Like it or not that's the way a lot of the state sees the Grizzly football teams from back then. Not a lot of character just won a lot. That's not my opinion that's the way a lot of folks see it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Allezchat said:
Pflu ultimately fell on the sword for the transgressions of Bobby's teams. Like it or not that's the way a lot of the state sees the Grizzly football teams from back then. Not a lot of character just won a lot. That's not my opinion that's the way a lot of folks see it

Huh? How so? Bobby was a huge disciplinarian and his teams had plenty of character.

RobGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
Spanky said:

I would be perfectly happy to win the conference, have 3 home playoff games, lose in the championship and be ranked no. 2 in the country every year,.

+1

+26,000

PlayerRep said:
Allezchat said:

Huh? How so? Bobby was a huge disciplinarian and his teams had plenty of character.

I always stand up for the football team and the athletic department, but there were definitely more off field incidents with Bobby's guys. It is unfair and unwise to lump the rest of the football team (as well as UM athletics as a whole) in with the bad apples, but I agree that many people with little knowledge of collegiate athletics in Montana (MSU included here....) feel that Bobby let a lot of "low character" students on his team.

Allezchat said:

That's false. He was fired because he said that JJ was a good kid with a lot of character after he was charged with rape. It didn't sit well with Engstroms social set.

PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
Spanky said:

Ditto! Plus Bobby always had the players ready and conditioned to play the entire game. It seems to be our conditioning programs has dropped off since he left.

Not ready for Stitt to be fired yet. I don't know as much as many people on here do about coaches that are out there that would be options but would be hoping for a young (mid to late 30's) coach that has shown the ability to win with a team that previously was not winning or at least not as much and has had success in the post season. Probably from D2 so he could be lured up with a salary that UM could give and would be considered a raise. Preferably has not been "stuck" in a lower division for years. For arguments sake, say less than 6 years. Also hasnt been a head coach in FCS for >10 years figuring that if the coach is talented he should have been lured away to a higher position by then. Probably hasnt been coaching in the FCS for >10 years in any capacity for that matter. I know a coach like that would be looking to move up if he extends his success to our program but guess what, that is what we are in the best case scenario. We are a stepping stone as is every FCS program in the nation. I dont want someone who isnt looking for the next level up.

Throwing the idea with Souers out at NAU. If DC Andy Thompson doesn't get the head job, does he take a shot at going back to UM?

With Souers gone from NAU, Wouldn't surprise me if DC Andy Thompson gets a shot at NAU HC... or if he chooses to come back to Montana, he could be a guy that gets a chance

dayday said:
Topey711 said:
Beau Baldwin. Wouldn't have to re-do the roster it should fit his system. Look what he did at crappy EWU. Imagine what he could do with the resources at UM.......

I'm sorry there's no way a PAC-12 coordinator is coming to the FCS level. That's a HUGE pay cut. A position coach is more likely if you go PAC-12 ranks. Regardless, the season isnt over yet. A lot can happen. So I reserve until the end of the year.
"California offensive coordinator Beau Baldwin moved on up in a big way, when he came from his head coaching position at Eastern Washington to take over as the Golden Bears' offensive coordinator. Along with changing states, he also changed tax brackets, going from making a $240,000 annual salary for the Eagles under a contract he signed in January of 2017, to now making $570,000 directing Cal's offense. That would make him one of the top five offensive coordinators in the Pac-12, in terms of pay."

Look I hope Stitt works out and he very well could. The only other game I could see is losing this year is Weber but we have the advantage of having our bye week the week before. However if Stitt doesn't work out there's one coach I'd love to have that I'm surprised no one has mentioned before. There's no way he'd do it but I'd love for Dave Dickenson to come home and coach the griz but I would imagine he's making good money in Canada.

Well how about currently unemployed Jeff Fisher who was recently seen buying groceries in Bozeman so he is already here and has connection to Montana.

pyroguy said:
Well how about currently unemployed Jeff Fisher who was recently seen buying groceries in Bozeman so he is already here and has connection to Montana.

I don't think Fisher is a good coach. Any Ram fans that would like to chime in?

Ivin Jasper, O Coordinator from Navy, would love to see the Triple Option being used by the Griz and would bring the discipline and attitude from a military academy.

Back