• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Tackling a Culture of Sexism

sdk.catfish said:
by Man1 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:12 pm

snap wrote:
A woman's highest calling is to be a good wife, run a tight household, provide a safe and loving environment for raising children and satisfying her husband sexually. Fact.

Solid post
Yup, solid post for Lisa Davies. I'm at the point where I believe I will send it to her.

Serious question: You chastise some not his board for their “fear” and not being willing to listen to the other side. Do you truly think Lisa Davey is willing to listen to the other side’s points?

I’ll let you guess what my answer is to that question.

sdk.catfish said:
by CDAGRIZ » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:58 pm

IDK if this was directed at my at-work conversation policy, but if it was, it's woefully misdirected. I choose to do what makes me feel the most protected, and you have absolutely no right to question it as long as I'm not hurting anyone (I'm not).

CDA, my post was not specifically directed at your posts. There were several in the same general vein. I'm truly sorry that you have come to the conclusion that you have to avoid a certain amount of interaction with females because you perceive the current environment of interaction between males and females at work and at play potentially toxic. Without quoting PR whom I respect, I would also like to address his concerns. I feel sorry for both of you, and others on this forum, that it has come down to this and fear consumes attempts to interact with the opposite sex. But the current environment of accusation is not fixing things. So I support the effort of Bobby Hauck, GGNez and others who would like to get this out in the open so we don't have to have this conversation again. However, like it or not, some of the posts on this thread can be construed by those not familiar with this forum as toxic to Griz football. The posts on E-griz have the potential to go to other places on social media.

I sent the Snap post to my daughter (Biology Degree UM, Davidson Honors College, Summa Cum Laude, multiple scholarships to WSU Veterinary School). Now happily married, good housekeeper, 2 year old daughter, husband a pastor. Did her first neuter as an intern when she was an undergrad junior. She is quite good with a scalpel and wished she could get Snap on the surgical table. I reminded her that while she could cut the scrotum there would be no testicles to be found inside :lol: . Snap's definition of the highest calling for a female is not hers nor her husbands.

While trite, my best advice to all males is to think with your brain and not your penis. That and don't live in fear. It took me many many years to figure out what my wife told me 25 years ago. You can't change things without listening to the other side and even then don't expect immediate results. Your welcome to live your life as you perceive but I think the level of paranoia that some on this forum seem to feel justified is just sad. There is no logical reason to live in fear of females, those with different sexual orientation or different skin color or country of origin unless fear rules your life.

Agree or not but don't be surprised to see some of the comments on this thread to come back and bite you and Griz football in the ass.

I don't give a shit what an estrogen-soaked soy cube like you has to say about anything. Maybe you should run a paternity test on "your" daughter.

GGNez said:
I'm beginning to understand why so many of you are SO pissed. You really DO believe that putting a stop to sexism is about putting a stop to sexuality and sexual relationships; flirting, connecting, enjoying each other.

Well sure, what else would the average guy think? So much of our masculine identity is naturally, biologically connected to our sexuality. And then we're told that our sexual nature the problem. In other words, that the problem is engrained in us permanently and we're all guilty and toxic just because we're male. So we're told that the cure for sexism is for us to stop being so masculine. And while we're at it, that the solution to racism is to stop being so white. And the solution to ageism is to stop being so young. And the solution to xenophobia is to stop being so American, and so on.

So yes, it does piss us off because the whole point seems to be to try to force us to stop being who we are and instead embrace someone else's group approved identity for us. I will not do that.

Ringneck said:
GGNez said:
I'm beginning to understand why so many of you are SO pissed. You really DO believe that putting a stop to sexism is about putting a stop to sexuality and sexual relationships; flirting, connecting, enjoying each other.

Well sure, what else would the average guy think? So much of our masculine identity is naturally, biologically connected to our sexuality. And then we're told that our sexual nature the problem. In other words, that the problem is engrained in us permanently and we're all guilty and toxic just because we're male. So we're told that the cure for sexism is for us to stop being so masculine. And while we're at it, that the solution to racism is to stop being so white. And the solution to ageism is to stop being so young. And the solution to xenophobia is to stop being so American, and so on.

So yes, it does piss us off because the whole point seems to be to try to force us to stop being who we are and instead embrace someone else's group approved identity for us. I will not do that.

Well put.

Ringneck » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:50 pm

Well sure, what else would the average guy think? So much of our masculine identity is naturally, biologically connected to our sexuality. And then we're told that our sexual nature the problem. In other words, that the problem is engrained in us permanently and we're all guilty and toxic just because we're male.

Don't be average

sdk.catfish said:

Well sure, what else would the average guy think? So much of our masculine identity is naturally, biologically connected to our sexuality. And then we're told that our sexual nature the problem. In other words, that the problem is engrained in us permanently and we're all guilty and toxic just because we're male.

Don't be average
Don't be pretentious.

Now seems as good a time as any to continue our annual discussion regarding the early days of the D'Oyly Carte Opera Company.

by Ringneck » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:06 pm

sdk.catfish wrote: ↑Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:04 pm

Nothing pretensions in my advice that you not be average unless you believe that I think I am much better which I don't. But don't be close minded. You can be a C- or you can improve on average. Being of older age I have a lot advice which I'm sure you don't want to hear so I won't go into it. I come back to my only advice that I am willing to share - If you are a male don't think with your penis, if you are female don't think with your vagina. Think about how you would feel if you were another responding your words, subtle innuendos or down right physical hits .

CDAGRIZ said:
Now seems as good a time as any to continue our annual discussion regarding the early days of the D'Oyly Carte Opera Company.

I'm bettin' you got some newer folks in the dark on this one, pard.

Hahaha... I've had some friends that have been afraid to talk to women... but some of you guys are REALLY afraid to talk to women... or just don't like them...

tourist said:
Fatty, you're still a mess, and totally f'd up. Pathetic.

The pathetic niche ewe’ve chiselled out for yourself as a trite, backward, little pos is solidified even further with this pathetically pathetic effort. Pathetic. Just goddamned pathetic.

Hey, how about that White House? Those guys know how to treat them damn wimmin, eh? Without their daily inspiration, I’m betting frightened, backward, little weirdo fucks like you and “Man” 1 and the other readily identified cockroaches would have many, many pages ago, scrambled under the couch to your safe places to fondle and Spank yourselves, as it were, in that … well, you know … very, very Manly way … typical of all those too cowardly to be anything more than furtive Tourists in the frightening land of reality.

kemajic said:
PDXGrizzly said:
Man1 said:
Say what you want about Saudi Arabia but those guys know how to treat women.

America is f***[*]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Holy crap. That was either an epic troll or you just openly embraced one of the worst women’s rights and human rights abusers in the world. That’s f****ed up.
Isn't that what the Engstrom admin. did, letting the Saudi rapist skip the country?

Exactly. I still stand by my statement.

Ringneck said:
GGNez said:

I can't tell you how much I appreciate a clear and succinct explanation of what many of you are experiencing in the current culture. It helps. But, just because an issue within society has been clinically termed, "toxic masculinity" does not in any way imply that masculinity is toxic. In fact, toxic masculinity is something that as much or more damaging to men than to women. I'll spare you the psychological jargon and we can make it all about football. I LOVE the game of football and its multitude of metaphors for life.

To stop talking to female coworkers or connecting with them on a personal level of any sort would be the equivalent of this:

A flag is thrown and a player is penalized for excessive celebration. He decides that, from that point forward, he will no longer celebrate when his team wins. He won't express happiness if he makes a game-winning touchdown reception. He will refrain from expressing joy when his team gets a first down.

Or, a wide receiver jumps the gun and is charged with a false start. From then on, he chooses to never step foot past the line of scrimmage - just too risky.

This is where we are on this sexism discussion. On one extreme end, we have a few refs out there throwing flags willy-nilly because they just KNOW that those big-ass D-Linemen will eventually fuck up anyway. SO, they just need to be constantly penalized and not given a chance to play the game.

On the other side, we have a couple of jack-asses running all over the field, ramming everyone with their helmets, flipping off the coaches, mooning the crowd and punching opponents in the nuts ('member that one time that happened to Dave DeCoite?)

Pretty hard to stop the flag-happy pessimists when the game is disrupted by the nut puncher.
Pretty hard to stop the flag-thrower when you have loud mouth a-holes with severe psychological damage running around, trying their best to sabotage any cooperative efforts.

But, you see, most of us want to discuss the substantial and important stuff: when does a receiver become a runner? Was his toe still in bounds when he was in control of the ball? Did the ball cross the goal line before or after his knee hit the turf?

We will spend hours playing and replaying video, having lively respectful discussion about the minutiae in a game - no hostility or anger if we can't agree or see things exactly as others do.

sdk.catfish said:
by Ringneck » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:06 pm

sdk.catfish wrote: ↑Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:04 pm

Nothing pretensions in my advice that you not be average unless you believe that I think I am much better which I don't. But don't be close minded. You can be a C- or you can improve on average. Being of older age I have a lot advice which I'm sure you don't want to hear so I won't go into it. I come back to my only advice that I am willing to share - If you are a male don't think with your penis, if you are female don't think with your vagina. Think about how you would feel if you were another responding your words, subtle innuendos or down right physical hits .

The word I should have used was presumptuous, though I can't help but think you're also being a bit artificial with all your "hey guys, be like me" advice. Don't presume that just because I won't embrace someone else's standards of masculinity that I'm somehow average (and by this you clearly mean a poor excuse for a man), closed minded, or unwilling to accept advice. What you're doing isn't advising - it's prescribing. There's a major difference between the two.

kemajic said:
MrTitleist said:
Eight more pages until we double up to 34.
And still haven't gotten to tackling.

I like what Robby Hauck and Gavin Robertson bring to the table at Safety. Would not want to be a receiver going up and getting a rib shot from one of those guys. Both seem to have good form as well as instincts to make the play. Good grabs for the defense!

AllWeatherFan said:
Please, don't lock this thread. Just delete it.

Too important, my friend.

Back in 2008 or so, there were a few in the NEZ who credited themselves (rightfully so, IMO), for causing opponents' false starts. They made a sign that read, "Falsies" with the intention of upping the number with each false start.

Chuck Maes, fed up (like most of the AD then and now) with the blatant inappropriate, juvenile BS that makes us all look bad, assumed that the sign was referring to fake boobs. He went over and personally snatched the sign and threw it away.

Extreme remarks cause extreme reactions and assumptions. A couple of posters have spoon-fed a goldmine to those who think football supporters are malicious woman-haters. We've mostly learned to scroll past their posts; maybe even feel sorry for them that they have never learned to relate to the opposite sex in a healthy manner. It IS sad. But, deleting this discussion literally or figuratively isn't going to do anything other than ensure that we maintain the status-quo. Page 26....pretty solid evidence that the status-quo isn't working for most people.

Back