• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Tackling a Culture of Sexism

GGNez said:
AZGrizFan said:
GGNez said:
AZGrizFan said:
And conversely, a couple of posters here on the other side have spoon-fed a goldmine to those who think that supporters of equal rights for all really are just people who want to force us all to live THEIR version of what they believe our lives should look like; they've reinforced the image of that group as loons, steadfast in their misguided beliefs, facts be damned...that their agenda is more important than actually getting the facts right. They've reinforced the image of that group as individuals incapable of having a civil conversation about said agenda without devolving into name calling, slander, mocking and vicious attacks. They've reinforced the image of that group as one who firmly believes that THEIR version of the truth is the ONLY version of the truth that matters and anyone who deigns to disagree with any of the efforts of their group should be shouted down, publicly humiliated and not let to speak their mind.

I feel sorry for them because it's apparent they haven't learned to relate to their OWN sex in a healthy manner. And I've learned to also scroll past THEIR posts.

Agreed.

Good. Now, about that Bud Light issue. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I know, man. You gotta switch to Cold Smoke. It's really the only solution I see working.

Love me some Cold Smoke, but can’t get it in San Antonio...

grizcountry420 said:
RobGriz said:
RABIDAWG said:
“Toxic” masculinity? Please define.....I’m sure this discussion will focus on sexism by men more than feminists, right? Sounds like the neutering in Zootown is continuing.

As near as I can tell it is the furtherance of the feminist agenda which in its simplest form is the emasculation of our society.
Piss poor behavior is piss poor behavior and should be treated as such. However, the application of the word “masculinity” in this instance implies that ANY manly behavior is piss poor behavior, intentional or not.
As a society we have, for the last 50ish years or so, continued to tell boys that acting masculine is wrong and than continue to be surprised that men fail to step up to the plate and act like men.
When I was a boy, and I’m sure it was the same for many here, my dad taught me how to fight, change a flat and use a hammer but he also taught me how to treat women, take care of my family and to be accountable & responsible. Nowadays those principles are punchlines and the ideals he stood for are cast under the thinly veiled catch all term “toxic masculinity”.
No real man would EVER condone rape.
No real man would EVER accept excuses for rape.
No real man would allow anyone to rape someone if he were in the position to stop it.
No real man would EVER feel threatened by a woman just because she is female.
Yet men are continually told that acting like real men is toxic.
Society has slowly redefined what the term masculinity means to the point that to men raised in my fathers generation don’t even recognize it.
Don’t get me wrong here, I’m not saying that I think things were peachy back in his day. And I think that the advancement of women’s roles in society is awesome. As the father of 2 daughters, I want them to have every chance for success and happiness in this world. I also want them to be married to men that act like men and not castrated little beta boys (I’m sure that will trigger someone).
Until we get back to raising men to act like men, to be accountable, to be responsible, to take a leadership role in their families and in their communities we will continue to see our society in this downward spiral, IMO. And as long as we keep using terms like “toxic masculinity” we won’t be doing that. Call assholes out for being assholes, punish those whose behavior is subpar, we as men should NEVER condone it as “boys being boys”. Will boys be boys? Absolutely, I used to get my ass whooped for being a boy, my dad raised me to be a man, not a boy.

Well said, Rob. You pretty much nailed it right on the head. Good post!

Ditto that! Thank you!

Is the author of this NY Time piece "broken"?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/21/opinion/boys-violence-shootings-guns.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&version=Moth-Visible&moduleDetail=inside-nyt-region-1&module=inside-nyt-region&region=inside-nyt-region&WT.nav=inside-nyt-region

PlayerRep said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/21/opinion/boys-violence-shootings-guns.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&version=Moth-Visible&moduleDetail=inside-nyt-region-1&module=inside-nyt-region&region=inside-nyt-region&WT.nav=inside-nyt-region

Great article.

I actually think it’s men and women who not only lack the ability to have personal insight, but mock the concept who are the most broken.

PlayerRep said:

Interesting article. Thank you for sharing. Don’t know about “broken” but it’s a conversation worth having.

GGNez said:
PlayerRep said:

Great article.

I actually think it’s men and women who not only lack the ability to have personal insight, but mock the concept who are the most broken.
Any human alive can be broken. It is what we do or try to do after we are broken. I don’t believe men or women are broken as there are second, third and more chances in life. Mental illness may be the exception. People are broken and become a throw away. Look at the inferior treatment centers in Montana starting with Warm Springs.

Spanky said:
GGNez said:
PlayerRep said:

Great article.

Any human alive can be broken. It is what we do or try to do after we are broken. I don’t believe men or women are broken as there are second, third and more chances in life. Mental illness may be the exception. People are broken and become a throw away. Look at the inferior treatment centers in Montana starting with Warm Springs.

I totally agree, Spanky. I think you're a great man. Clearly very kind and charming - one of the good ones!

Back