• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Stitt- No fence riding (for or against)-Pre 2017

For or Against keeping Stitt

• For

Votes: 112 84.8%
  • Against

Votes: 20 15.2%

• Total voters
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
Close but no cigar, Mining. I don't agree with the following:

"Stitt was brought into change the culture and rebuild the program."

I don't agree that he was brought in to do that. The culture was still pretty darn good when he arrived, and the program did not and does not have to be rebuilt. Some would argue that one of the mistakes Stitt has made is that he did not embrace the program and tradition enough. Kem or others, you may want to weigh in.

Coaches, particularly at schools like UM, aren't hired to come in and "kick the tires" for a year. Coaches at schools like UM are expected to hit the ground running.

"That's the mess that Stitt inherited. Not a team coming off of a national championship appearance, but a team struggling to work through its self-imposed penalties."

The Griz were 9-5 before Stitt arrived. Second round of playoffs. Losses to Wyo. (close game), no. 6 EWU (twice), no. 1 NDSU, and Cal Poly (7-5). Griz beat no. 11 MSU. Griz ended up ranked 12th in Stats poll, and 11th in coaches poll. Sorry, but that was not a "mess" of a season.

While the loss of schollies has some impact, that is not close to being the biggest factor in the slight decline in the program.

Feel free to explain how the poor season last year, and the collapse at the end of the season, was caused by what was indicated in Mining's post. Sorry, but I don't see the connection.

At the start of Stitt's 3d year, UM is not ranked to the pre-season top 25 for the first time since 1991. How do you explain that?

It remains to be seen whether Stitt has done anything that is "g-damn brilliant". Hope you are right.

I am positive for the season and for Stitt, but I am not going to predict a great season nor am I going to tell any of the non-crazy neggies and doubters that they are wrong.

:lol: Leave it to you, PR. Every SINGLE poster so far (numerous) have agreed with Mining's post, and you come along being the contrarian. If you can't understand how four missing scholarships over the past three years can impact FUTURE years' performance, well then there's no helping you. Of COURSE it's not going to affect the immediate years...those years have upperclassmen that were already here starting. It affects FUTURE years, because those future classes are by the nature of the punishment smaller and/or devoid of talent that otherwise could have been attracted with four additional scholarships to hand out. THAT is what played out last year, IMHO. THAT's why we were 6-5 (among a host of other things that have been beaten to death on this board)...and honestly, the return of those four schollies isn't going to pay immediate dividends for the very same reasons--unless he hands them out to four four-star drop downs who can come in and be impact players immediately.

Not one poster that I considerable knowledgeable supported Mining, so their support meant nothing to me (other than re-confirming my views of them)

People like you who don't live in Missoula, don't follow the program closely, don't know people close to the program--and never played the game--are not going to change my views. The UM program did not and does not need to "rebuilt", and Stitt was not hired to rebuild it. There were and are multiple other things that influenced the program more than a few achollies.

While the program was not on top like it was under Hauck and Pflu's last year, Delaney's last 2 years were fine or better than fine, and considerably better than Stitt's first 2 years. I would fine with getting the program can get back to where it was under Delaney's last 2 years.

That's funny crap right there...

PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:

I don't agree that he was brought in to do that. The culture was still pretty darn good when he arrived, and the program did not and does not have to be rebuilt. Some would argue that one of the mistakes Stitt has made is that he did not embrace the program and tradition enough. Kem or others, you may want to weigh in.

Coaches, particularly at schools like UM, aren't hired to come in and "kick the tires" for a year. Coaches at schools like UM are expected to hit the ground running.

"That's the mess that Stitt inherited. Not a team coming off of a national championship appearance, but a team struggling to work through its self-imposed penalties."

The Griz were 9-5 before Stitt arrived. Second round of playoffs. Losses to Wyo. (close game), no. 6 EWU (twice), no. 1 NDSU, and Cal Poly (7-5). Griz beat no. 11 MSU. Griz ended up ranked 12th in Stats poll, and 11th in coaches poll. Sorry, but that was not a "mess" of a season.

While the loss of schollies has some impact, that is not close to being the biggest factor in the slight decline in the program.

Feel free to explain how the poor season last year, and the collapse at the end of the season, was caused by what was indicated in Mining's post. Sorry, but I don't see the connection.

At the start of Stitt's 3d year, UM is not ranked to the pre-season top 25 for the first time since 1991. How do you explain that?

It remains to be seen whether Stitt has done anything that is "g-damn brilliant". Hope you are right.

I am positive for the season and for Stitt, but I am not going to predict a great season nor am I going to tell any of the non-crazy neggies and doubters that they are wrong.

:lol: Leave it to you, PR. Every SINGLE poster so far (numerous) have agreed with Mining's post, and you come along being the contrarian. If you can't understand how four missing scholarships over the past three years can impact FUTURE years' performance, well then there's no helping you. Of COURSE it's not going to affect the immediate years...those years have upperclassmen that were already here starting. It affects FUTURE years, because those future classes are by the nature of the punishment smaller and/or devoid of talent that otherwise could have been attracted with four additional scholarships to hand out. THAT is what played out last year, IMHO. THAT's why we were 6-5 (among a host of other things that have been beaten to death on this board)...and honestly, the return of those four schollies isn't going to pay immediate dividends for the very same reasons--unless he hands them out to four four-star drop downs who can come in and be impact players immediately.

Not one poster that I considerable knowledgeable supported Mining, so their support meant nothing to me (other than re-confirming my views of them)

People like you who don't live in Missoula, don't follow the program closely, don't know people close to the program--and never played the game--are not going to change my views. The UM program did not and does not need to "rebuilt", and Stitt was not hired to rebuild it. There were and are multiple other things that influenced the program more than a few achollies.

While the program was not on top like it was under Hauck and Pflu's last year, Delaney's last 2 years were fine or better than fine, and considerably better than Stitt's first 2 years. I would fine with getting the program can get back to where it was under Delaney's last 2 years.

Literally the ONLY thing you got right about me is that I don't live in Missoula. You think you're the fucking genius, so those that agree with you are the knowledgable ones and those that don't are idiots in your mind. What it must be like to live in such a black and white world, where you fill in with lies and deception the vast universe of shit you have no idea about.

Delaney's last 2 seasons were 10-3 and 9-5, with trips to the round of 16 in the playoffs. 8 total losses, with 3 to EWU, 1 to NDSU, 1 to Coastal, 1 to NAU (they were 7-1 on conf and 9-3), and 1 to Wyo. CP (7-5) was the only loss to a non-playoff and non-FBS team. 2 wins over the Cats. Post-season rankings of nos. 10 (approx, couldn't find post-season poll) and 12.

Sorry, but I don't see the necessity to "rebuild" and "change the culture". I think fans are out of their mind to think the program needs major rebuilding coming off of seasons like that.

I would be perfectly happy with 10 wins or 9 wins next season, and games in the round of 16. Also, with promise to do better than that.

AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:

Literally the ONLY thing you got right about me is that I don't live in Missoula. You think you're the f***[*] genius, so those that agree with you are the knowledgable ones and those that don't are idiots in your mind. What it must be like to live in such a black and white world, where you fill in with lies and deception the vast universe of shit you have no idea about.

I am certainly a genius compared to you. You are okay with stats and history, but are mediocre at best on the game of football. And you are way way out of touch on Griz football.

MiningCityGrizFan said:
This thread is a tough one to read because it illustrates the well-deserved reputation of entitlement and arrogance (and often times ignorance) that is associated Griz Nation.

The Griz were dominant for so long that their fans (me included) took success for granted. The coaches we had, the players they had, they made winning look easy. That's the problem.

Look back at what Phlugrad went through when he took over in 2010. Remember his first season? And that was a team coming off two consecutive national championship appearances.

Then the Jordan Johnson fiasco ended with him being fired and the program being thrown into limbo. Mick did a great job steadying the ship, but the damage was done. A losing season for the first time in forever. And a self-imposed scholarship reduction that only just ended.

Mick did yeomen's work with the hand he was dealt, but his best teams were only pretty good compared to his four most recent predecessors.

That's the mess that Stitt inherited. Not a team coming off of a national championship appearance, but a team struggling to work through its self-imposed penalties. And whose fans were still struggling to accept that their beloved team had been an overachieving above-average team since Phlu was unceremoniously and unfairly shown the door in 2011.

Stitt was brought in to change the culture and rebuild the program. He also had to install his unique system with a roster recruited to run a pro-style offense. He did his best to build around the defense and 2015 was a pretty good year all things considered, though I'm extremely thankful that Ben Roberts decided to show up that season.

In hind sight, though I believe his first year was Stitt kicking the tires. He had a full year to evaluate the team and the program. Only then did he really began to do the job he was hired to do -- Completely rebuild the program from the inside out.

That is exactly what he's been doing. He started by sending Gregorak packing and then proceeded to cut players from the roster who didn't fit and/or didn't buy into what he was trying to do. Some good players also left. Jansen, Nacaratto, etc. This is a normal part of organizational dynamics when new leadership is brought it and org changes are implemented. But many in Griz Nation are loyal and hated to see some of those players and coaches leave. Especially to Bozeman...

But the painful truth was that the program needed far more than superficial tweaks to the roster if it was going to compete against NDSU in the playoffs anytime soon. That outside perspective is why Stitt was brought in. To his credit, I believe Stitt understood the scope of the changes he would have to make before he returned from Fargo.

Those changes weren't necessarily popular, but true leadership isn't about doing what's popular at the moment. It's about doing what needs to be done in order to help your organization achieve its ultimate goal. He didn't just do it with players and hold over coaches. He sent Swett packing after last season too. It's not fun, but it's part of the business that is D-1 College Football.

I think we'll look back on the extreme roster makeover of 2016 like Cowboys fans do now when Jimmy Johnson sent Hershel Walker to Minnesota and used the draft picks he got in return to build the foundation of a championship team. Not popular at the time, but pivotal point in the turnaround process.

The beauty of what Stitt did was that he effectively negated the final year of the self-imposed scholarship reductions. Even with the reduced scholarships, he brought in one of the largest recruiting classes in the history of the school. The vast majority of his recruits have been high school kids, but with select JC and drop downs coming in to fill the immediate gaps and add depth at the top of the roster.

If you stop and think about what he did, it's g-damn brilliant considering the circumstances.

Seriously -- Look at the talent Stitt and his staff have brought in with those scholarships. Yeti, Akem, Toure, Gesch, and the list goes on and on.

Look how much depth we have in 2017.

And best of all, look at how young the roster is.

Stitt is playing 4-D chess and guys who barely understand checkers are on the discussion boards saying he doesn't deserve a contract extension?

Just like I wouldn't walk over to the Champions Center in its current unfinished state and start bad mouthing the ability of the contractors, I will not look at the unfinished state of the rebuilding process and start bad mouthing Stitt. I can see how awesome that building is going to be when the construction is fully completed and I can see how awesome this program is going to be when the rebuilding is fully completed.

Realistically I believe this team will be better than last season, but I don't expect a conference championship just yet. I think we're still a year or two away. By Gresch's junior year though I think the Griz are back atop the Big Sky and are legitimately competing for the national championships.

And we'll be back to praying that our head coach hasn't grown tired of Griz Nation's vocal naysayers when a big-time program eventually knocks on his door and puts a contract promising life-changing money in front of him.

I think we'll be lucky to keep Stitt here beyond five years once his younger boy finishes high school. So, for now, I'm just going to enjoy the journey we'll be taking back to the top of the mountain and try not to worry about who will pick up the torch once the Stitt chapter of Griz football comes to an end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This "unknowledgable" fan loves this post! Great job! :clap: :clap:

19 wins in 2 seasons, 2 top 16 playoff appearances, no losses to any non-playoff or non-FBS teams except 7-5 CP, top 10 and top 12 year end rankings. And the geniuses of egriz want to "rebuild" and "change the culture", as the program was a "mess" after those seasons.

The first 2 rebuilding years result in the playoffs one year and a 6th ranking in the conference the next year. 14 wins and 10 losses overall. Losses to NC (2), Weber and the Cats.

No thanks on the rebuilding; I'll take 10-3 and 9-5.

This is not meant to be negative on Stitt; it's meant to point out how off base it is to say the UM program needed to be rebuilt because it was a mess. In fact, it makes me think of Griz fans like this:

"This thread is a tough one to read because it illustrates the well-deserved reputation of entitlement and arrogance (and often times ignorance) that is associated Griz Nation."

I am still positive on Stitt at this point.

get'em_griz said:
MiningCityGrizFan said:
This thread is a tough one to read because it illustrates the well-deserved reputation of entitlement and arrogance (and often times ignorance) that is associated Griz Nation.

The Griz were dominant for so long that their fans (me included) took success for granted. The coaches we had, the players they had, they made winning look easy. That's the problem.

Look back at what Phlugrad went through when he took over in 2010. Remember his first season? And that was a team coming off two consecutive national championship appearances.

Then the Jordan Johnson fiasco ended with him being fired and the program being thrown into limbo. Mick did a great job steadying the ship, but the damage was done. A losing season for the first time in forever. And a self-imposed scholarship reduction that only just ended.

Mick did yeomen's work with the hand he was dealt, but his best teams were only pretty good compared to his four most recent predecessors.

That's the mess that Stitt inherited. Not a team coming off of a national championship appearance, but a team struggling to work through its self-imposed penalties. And whose fans were still struggling to accept that their beloved team had been an overachieving above-average team since Phlu was unceremoniously and unfairly shown the door in 2011.

Stitt was brought in to change the culture and rebuild the program. He also had to install his unique system with a roster recruited to run a pro-style offense. He did his best to build around the defense and 2015 was a pretty good year all things considered, though I'm extremely thankful that Ben Roberts decided to show up that season.

In hind sight, though I believe his first year was Stitt kicking the tires. He had a full year to evaluate the team and the program. Only then did he really began to do the job he was hired to do -- Completely rebuild the program from the inside out.

That is exactly what he's been doing. He started by sending Gregorak packing and then proceeded to cut players from the roster who didn't fit and/or didn't buy into what he was trying to do. Some good players also left. Jansen, Nacaratto, etc. This is a normal part of organizational dynamics when new leadership is brought it and org changes are implemented. But many in Griz Nation are loyal and hated to see some of those players and coaches leave. Especially to Bozeman...

But the painful truth was that the program needed far more than superficial tweaks to the roster if it was going to compete against NDSU in the playoffs anytime soon. That outside perspective is why Stitt was brought in. To his credit, I believe Stitt understood the scope of the changes he would have to make before he returned from Fargo.

Those changes weren't necessarily popular, but true leadership isn't about doing what's popular at the moment. It's about doing what needs to be done in order to help your organization achieve its ultimate goal. He didn't just do it with players and hold over coaches. He sent Swett packing after last season too. It's not fun, but it's part of the business that is D-1 College Football.

I think we'll look back on the extreme roster makeover of 2016 like Cowboys fans do now when Jimmy Johnson sent Hershel Walker to Minnesota and used the draft picks he got in return to build the foundation of a championship team. Not popular at the time, but pivotal point in the turnaround process.

The beauty of what Stitt did was that he effectively negated the final year of the self-imposed scholarship reductions. Even with the reduced scholarships, he brought in one of the largest recruiting classes in the history of the school. The vast majority of his recruits have been high school kids, but with select JC and drop downs coming in to fill the immediate gaps and add depth at the top of the roster.

If you stop and think about what he did, it's g-damn brilliant considering the circumstances.

Seriously -- Look at the talent Stitt and his staff have brought in with those scholarships. Yeti, Akem, Toure, Gesch, and the list goes on and on.

Look how much depth we have in 2017.

And best of all, look at how young the roster is.

Stitt is playing 4-D chess and guys who barely understand checkers are on the discussion boards saying he doesn't deserve a contract extension?

Just like I wouldn't walk over to the Champions Center in its current unfinished state and start bad mouthing the ability of the contractors, I will not look at the unfinished state of the rebuilding process and start bad mouthing Stitt. I can see how awesome that building is going to be when the construction is fully completed and I can see how awesome this program is going to be when the rebuilding is fully completed.

Realistically I believe this team will be better than last season, but I don't expect a conference championship just yet. I think we're still a year or two away. By Gresch's junior year though I think the Griz are back atop the Big Sky and are legitimately competing for the national championships.

And we'll be back to praying that our head coach hasn't grown tired of Griz Nation's vocal naysayers when a big-time program eventually knocks on his door and puts a contract promising life-changing money in front of him.

I think we'll be lucky to keep Stitt here beyond five years once his younger boy finishes high school. So, for now, I'm just going to enjoy the journey we'll be taking back to the top of the mountain and try not to worry about who will pick up the torch once the Stitt chapter of Griz football comes to an end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This "unknowledgable" fan loves this post! Great job! :clap: :clap:

I agree, one of the better posts of all time here on eGriz.

I certainly believe a coaching staff needs time to build a program, especially when your changing systems entirely.
However I think Stitt is in a hard position just because of circumstances within UM.
The main being the new Champion Center. UM can not afford to have such a gem built as a tool to have a program not produce.
I hope for Stitt sake he turns things around and makes a run into the playoffs and is able to use the Champions Center as a tool.
If he does not make a run this year? UM may give him another season and if he does not produce the following year then I think he is gone.

The unknowledgeable fans are coming out of the woodwork. Ha. Note that I agreed with Mining on most of his post, and that's why I said "close but no cigar" initially. If I recall correctly, I have generally liked Mining as a poster, and assume he is knowledgeable. It's just the rest of you that I question. Ha again.

Coming off of 2 seasons with 10 and 9 wins, rankings in the top 10 and top 12 of the polls at the end of the season (higher during season), wins over the Cats, losses only to playoff and FBS teams (except for 7-5 CP) and without an undue amount of off-field issues, you believe UM needed to "rebuild" the program, "change the culture" and get rid of the "mess"? Huh? That is the definition of unknowledgeable.

Getting back to the top of the heap, winning the conference consistently, and advancing past the round of 16 in the playoffs, takes work and is not easy, but, when your team ends up being ranked in the top 10 and 12 of the polls, you don't have to rebuild, change the culture and clean up the mess, clean house, and start over.

You build on what you have, take advantage of your strong and long winning tradition, hire the best available coach and coaching staff, identify areas for improvement and areas that may have slipped, raise as much money as you can for recruiting, facilities, allowed player programs, and coaching salaries, recruit hard, and execute on the identified areas for improvement. With hard work and some luck, the program climbs back towards the top, one game and one season at a time.

PlayerRep said:
With hard work and some luck, the program climbs back towards the top, one game and one season at a time.
That's what I was thinking until the last five games last year. Falling, not climbing..... Hence #31.

What "culture" do some of you think Stitt was hired to change? Just curious as to what culture you thought needed to be changed.

Please don't bother cite stuff from Hauck or Pflu eras. Delaney had been at UM for 3 years, and was coming off 2 pretty good (or very good) seasons.

kemajic said:
PlayerRep said:
With hard work and some luck, the program climbs back towards the top, one game and one season at a time.
That's what I was thinking until the last five games last year. Falling, not climbing.....

From your posts, my recollection is that you attributed that to things that included the coach, or am I mis-rembering.? I assume you don't attribute the last half of last season missing some schoolies. We were missing the schoolies in the first half of the season too.

I have always thought that if UM had just won the last 2 games of the season, and made the playoffs (which would have occurred with winning only 1 of those games), Griz nation would not lost confidence and not many people would have been criticizing the coach. Close, but no cigar.

On the flip side, if the Griz hadn't beaten NDSU in the first game of Stitt's tenure, there would have been a lot more criticism that first year too. That win bought (earned) a lot of positive feeling and hope.

PlayerRep said:
The unknowledgeable fans are coming out of the woodwork. Ha.

Coming off of 2 seasons with 10 and 9 wins, rankings in the top 10 and top 12 of the polls at the end of the season (higher during season), wins over the Cats, losses only to playoff and FBS teams (except for 7-5 CP) and without an undue amount of off-field issues, you believe UM needed to "rebuild" the program, "change the culture" and get rid of the "mess"? Huh? That is the definition of unknowledgeable.

Getting back to the top of the heap, winning the conference consistently, and advancing past the round of 16 in the playoffs, takes work and is not easy, but, when your team ends up being ranked in the top 10 and 12 of the polls, you don't have to rebuild, change the culture and clean up the mess, clean house, and start over.

You build on what you have, take advantage of your strong and long winning tradition, hire the best available coach and coaching staff, identify areas for improvement and areas that may have slipped, raise as much money as you can for recruiting, facilities, allowed player programs, and coaching salaries, recruit hard, and execute on the identified areas for improvement. With hard work and some luck, the program climbs back towards the top, one game and one season at a time.

If you want to "talk the talk you better be able to walk the walk", which hasn't been the case here. Any good high school coach knows you play with what you have, sure it would be great to have everyone you want but how long does that take 4-5-6 years. If you think your system is the best thing ever ok, start slowly, incorporate and build it, use what you have, no complaining that you need something else, for that road never ends.
I have been watching the GRIZ play since 1974 and have never seen the collapse that we had last year. Coaches fault cause he didn't have his players or bad management ?
The GRIZ have the player talent to go places, I just don't have the confidence that Stitt can do it, tee shirts aside.

giphy.gif

If rebuilding the culture means results like the MSU game last season I want no part of it. I don't care what excuses the knowing or unknowing fans might come up with, that loss never should have happened!

fanofzoo said:
PlayerRep said:
The unknowledgeable fans are coming out of the woodwork. Ha.

If you want to "talk the talk you better be able to walk the walk", which hasn't been the case here. Any good high school coach knows you play with what you have, sure it would be great to have everyone you want but how long does that take 4-5-6 years. If you think your system is the best thing ever ok, start slowly, incorporate and build it, use what you have, no complaining that you need something else, for that road never ends.
I have been watching the GRIZ play since 1974 and have never seen the collapse that we had last year. Coaches fault cause he didn't have his players or bad management ?
The GRIZ have the player talent to go places, I just don't have the confidence that Stitt can do it, tee shirts aside.
Very well said FanZoo

Soo according to the poll egriz has 103 unknowledgeable fans and 17 knowledgeable fans.
Is this correct?

Mavman said:
Soo according to the poll egriz has 103 unknowledgeable fans and 17 knowledgeable fans.
Is this correct?

Sounds about right to me. I didn't vote, as I seldom participate in the polls.

Back