• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Semore's defense vs Gregorak's defense, a 2-year look

1972 said:
CatsTruckGriz said:
1972 said:
CatsTruckGriz said:
Take what personal, it's not like this shines a bad light on what Gregorak has done?

He inherited one of the worst defenses in FCS and turned it respectable in 2 years.

Semore, who inherited a great defense with much more talent, has put his in the shitter by not being able to adapt and make adjustments. Now they're about the same caliber, which shouldn't be the case.

I don't care what they did against the NAU backup bum and whatever you call that offense that UNC rolled out there, they are not that great or should I say they don't play as well as the parts that make them up. That is on Semore. I equate his defensive coaching to a chimp drawing on a paper plate with a crayon he just pulled out of his ass.

But please extend his contract. Thanks.

Rough day? week? year?

Semore? 2 years so far and counting.

Carry on, I'm getting a kick out of this!!

That's cool you have a positive attitude, I don't think I could if I was a Griz fan watching Semore every week. Would be tough.

CatsTruckGriz said:
1972 said:
CatsTruckGriz said:
1972 said:
Rough day? week? year?

That's cool you have a positive attitude, I don't think I could if I was a Griz fan watching Semore every week. Would be tough.

Yeah, it’s tough being a fan of a 7-3 team. Must be so much easier being a fan of a team with extremely low expectations every year.

I really applaud scat fans ability to put a positive spin on a 4-6 season....TONS of quality losses piling up this year, for sure...gonna be another one for you on Saturday. 4-7, but just thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis close to 9-2, right?

AZGrizFan said:
CatsTruckGriz said:
1972 said:
CatsTruckGriz said:

Yeah, it’s tough being a fan of a 7-3 team. Must be so much easier being a fan of a team with extremely low expectations every year.

I really applaud scat fans ability to put a positive spin on a 4-6 season....TONS of quality losses piling up this year, for sure...gonna be another one for you on Saturday. 4-7, but just thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis close to 9-2, right?

Not a lot positive in a 4-6 season but one thing is the improvement of the defense, which is the thread title right?

CatsTruckGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
CatsTruckGriz said:
1972 said:

Not a lot positive in a 4-6 season but one thing is the improvement of the defense, which is the thread title right?

Good news, we're both happy

BWahlberg said:
Granted we're not fully through the season, 1 more game for each (at least) but I thought it would be interesting to take a statistical look between the two. This is a general approach and doesn't take into account some things that I don't have time to edit out, such as special teams and defensive TDs - so some of the scoring stuff might be a little off... but I think this still gives the general picture. Both have had 2 years on the job and 2 years to build "their style".

This is combined stats from 2016 and 2017 YTD:

Scoring

Semore: 585 points / 27.86 points per game
Gregorak: 528 points / 25.14 points per game

Turnovers

Semore: 24 INTs / 20 fumbles / 44 total
Gregorak: 14 INTs / 14 fumbles / 28 total

Yardage Allowed:

Semore: 3193 rushing / 4878 passing / 8071 total / 384 yards per game
Gregorak: 3331 rushing / 4978 passing / 8309 total / 396 yards per game

TFLs / Sacks:

Semore: 182 TFLs / 63 sacks (8.67 TFLs and 3 sacks per game)
Gregorak: 108 TFLs / 31 sacks (5.14 TFLs and 1.5 sacks per game)

Defensive TDs:

Semore: 6 (1 fumble, 5 INT)
Gregorak: 2 (1 fumble, 1 INT)

3rd Down / 4th Down defense:

Semore: 104 for 318 = 33% 3rd down conversion & 13 for 33 = 39% on 4th down
Gregorak: 136 for 317 = 43% on 3rd down conversion & 24 for 44 = 55% on 4th down

Red Zone Defense

Semore: 55-83 scoring = 66% scores allowed / 47 TDs allowed = 57% TDs
Gregorak: 66-78 scoring = 85% scores allowed / 45 TDs allowed = 58% TDs

First Downs Allowed

Semore: 411 = 19.57 per game
Gregorak: 456 = 21.71 per game

Time on the field

Semore: 30:23 per game
Gregorak: 30:39 per game

--------------

Interesting to stack up side by side. Again there's some tough things to totally compare side by side considering each team hasn't played the exact same opponents and that some defensive stats (like scoring) might be skewed a little bit because it doesn't subtract scores given up by ST or by the offense (like pick-6 TDs for example).

Another thing to point out. Cats record in in the last two years is 7-13 to date, Griz is 13-8 yet head-to-head as we all know Gregorak's defense is 1-0 right now.

Proves they were both awful coordinators. I realize that the players play, so the fault not only lies with the players themselves, but the coaches for recruiting them/not coaching them up properly. I don't believe Semore has the ability too, don't pay attention to kitties so not sure on Ty.

BWahlberg said:
Granted we're not fully through the season, 1 more game for each (at least) but I thought it would be interesting to take a statistical look between the two. This is a general approach and doesn't take into account some things that I don't have time to edit out, such as special teams and defensive TDs - so some of the scoring stuff might be a little off... but I think this still gives the general picture. Both have had 2 years on the job and 2 years to build "their style".

This is combined stats from 2016 and 2017 YTD:

Scoring

Semore: 585 points / 27.86 points per game
Gregorak: 528 points / 25.14 points per game

Turnovers

Semore: 24 INTs / 20 fumbles / 44 total
Gregorak: 14 INTs / 14 fumbles / 28 total

Yardage Allowed:

Semore: 3193 rushing / 4878 passing / 8071 total / 384 yards per game
Gregorak: 3331 rushing / 4978 passing / 8309 total / 396 yards per game

TFLs / Sacks:

Semore: 182 TFLs / 63 sacks (8.67 TFLs and 3 sacks per game)
Gregorak: 108 TFLs / 31 sacks (5.14 TFLs and 1.5 sacks per game)

Defensive TDs:

Semore: 6 (1 fumble, 5 INT)
Gregorak: 2 (1 fumble, 1 INT)

3rd Down / 4th Down defense:

Semore: 104 for 318 = 33% 3rd down conversion & 13 for 33 = 39% on 4th down
Gregorak: 136 for 317 = 43% on 3rd down conversion & 24 for 44 = 55% on 4th down

Red Zone Defense

Semore: 55-83 scoring = 66% scores allowed / 47 TDs allowed = 57% TDs
Gregorak: 66-78 scoring = 85% scores allowed / 45 TDs allowed = 58% TDs

First Downs Allowed

Semore: 411 = 19.57 per game
Gregorak: 456 = 21.71 per game

Time on the field

Semore: 30:23 per game
Gregorak: 30:39 per game

--------------

Interesting to stack up side by side. Again there's some tough things to totally compare side by side considering each team hasn't played the exact same opponents and that some defensive stats (like scoring) might be skewed a little bit because it doesn't subtract scores given up by ST or by the offense (like pick-6 TDs for example).

Another thing to point out. Cats record in in the last two years is 7-13 to date, Griz is 13-8 yet head-to-head as we all know Gregorak's defense is 1-0 right now.
Good work; revealing. Going to look at the last 4 games of both, which may be even more in Semore's favor. Skewed of course by the Cookus availability differential.

After a very poor start, our D has been playing well. Strahm is a different player the last few games. The MSU D is pretty pedestrian; would be awful without Bignell.

kemajic said:
Good work; revealing. Going to look at the last 4 games of both, which may be even more in Semore's favor. Skewed of course by the Cookus availability differential.

After a very poor start, our D has been playing well. Strahm is a different player the last few games. The MSU D is pretty pedestrian; would be awful without Bignell.

Saw an article about Sims that talked about HIS transformation the last 4-5 games as well....I think the whole D is maturing and beginning to play much better together as a unit...

AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:

Saw an article about Sims that talked about HIS transformation the last 4-5 games as well....I think the whole D is maturing and beginning to play much better together as a unit...

How did Semore put it? He's a stand up tough shoot and gut an elk, pack it in your horse, shirt off in twenty degree weather kind of guy." Was something like that. I LOLed

Like this thread. Good points, I think next two years will be better comparison if staffs remain. Recruiting by the coaches is key. Seymore has some southern (OK &TX) connections that may widen ability to get needed players. UM staff is getting big bodies on the lines and speed to make plays on the back side.

Interesting stuff. There are a lot of variables at play in comparing the two (especially talent level and schedule), but I was surprised how close the two guys were and was legitimately shocked that the stats seem to favor Semore over the last two years.

That being said, these stats don't necessarily reveal which defense is better as much as they reveal which one sucks less.

OK, looking at the most relevant last 4 games for each:
UM / MSU
1st downs allowed (ave): 18 / 23
Rush yds allowed (ave): 146 / 206
Pass yds allowed (ave): 184 / 195
Total defense (ave): 330 / 401
Plays defended: 73 / 76
Score allowed (ave): 22 / 23
Interceptions: 7 / 3
Fumbles Recovered: 4 / 0
Time on the field (ave): 31:02 / 32:00
3rd down success against: 35% / 48%
4th down success against: 33% / 45%
RZ success against: 73% / 75%
Sacks: 16 / 1

Two common opponents (NAU & UNC); data a bit skewed by Cookus availability differential. Illustrates TG bend don't break vs. Semore more aggressive defense. Look at the turnovers and sacks.

kemajic said:
UM / MSU
Interceptions: 7 / 3
Sacks: 16 / 1

Two common opponents (NAU & UNC); data a bit skewed by Cookus availability differential. Illustrates TG bend don't break vs. Semore more aggressive defense. Look at the turnovers and sacks.

Interesting info, yeah the lack of Cookus against UM makes those a little funky.

...griz d line stays low..unlike last year...
...the linebackers stay in their lanes...
...cats in for a long..short november day...

...ftc...

AZGrizFan said:
CatsTruckGriz said:
1972 said:
CatsTruckGriz said:

Nah, That's what STITT said last year. :)

I think all this is interesting banter, but truthfully, both defenses do exactly what the coordinators and head coaches want them to do.
For the cats, bend and don't break. Give up field goals and hopefully the offense based on a running game will grind out a win.
Griz is the opposite. Get the ball back any way possible. Be aggressive, get turnovers, or give up the big play and have them score. Ball back either way.
Who has the better defense? Depends on who you ask it seems.
Who did more with less or less with more? Depends on who you ask it seems.
Who will win on Saturday? Depends on who you ask it seems.

For me it's a great big GOOOO GRIZ!

The Griz are closer to a bend but not break team this year. They play more zone than last year. Zone leads to more picks because the defender is usually looking toward the qb, instead of running with his man with his back to the qb. The Griz are not overly aggressive blitzing this year. Sometimes the backer assigned to cover a rb will blitz if the back stays in to block. At the end of the day, the most important defensive stat is points allowed. The Griz D is better than the Cat D, in my view.

PlayerRep said:
The Griz are closer to a bend but not break team this year. They play more zone than last year. Zone leads to more picks because the defender is usually looking toward the qb, instead of running with his man with his back to the qb. The Griz are not overly aggressive blitzing this year. Sometimes the backer assigned to cover a rb will blitz if the back stays in to block. At the end of the day, the most important defensive stat is points allowed. The Griz D is better than the Cat D, in my view.

What makes you say that considering you just said the key stat is points allowed. MSU allows 25, um allows 29, and the griz have had a much easier schedule.

poorgriz said:
PlayerRep said:

What makes you say that considering you just said the key stat is points allowed. MSU allows 25, um allows 29, and the griz have had a much easier schedule.

Points is the "key" stat, in my view. It is not the only stat or factor. There are lots of stats and factors. The aggregate of those stats/factors determines the strength of a team or defense. Also, those stats are points given up by the team, including the O and ST. Don't know what the stats would be for just the defense.

kemajic said:
UM / MSU
Interceptions: 7 / 3 :eek:
:eek:
Sacks: 16 / 1 :eek: :eek: :eek:

Whoa.

Comparing opponents is always a fool's errand.

For one, as pointed out, NAU didn't have Cookus. But also very much worth pointing out, the two games being used to compare were both home games for the Griz, and both away games for the Cats.

Besides, UM murdered a Sac State team that beat the Cats last year and well look at Cat/Griz turned out.

Back