• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Semore's defense vs Gregorak's defense, a 2-year look

This really surprises me.

I will point out that Tyler walked into a tough situation in Bozeman last season, but Semore had his challenges too.

Interesting stuff. We’ll have to see if either of them is the 1, or just another 0.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brewskis said:
This really surprises me.

I will point out that Tyler walked into a tough situation in Bozeman last season, but Semore had his challenges too.

Interesting stuff. We’ll have to see if either of them is the 1, or just another 0.

Stats aside, it'll all be determined in a few days time I'd say.

wbtfg said:
BWahlberg said:
Granted we're not fully through the season, 1 more game for each (at least) but I thought it would be interesting to take a statistical look between the two. This is a general approach and doesn't take into account some things that I don't have time to edit out, such as special teams and defensive TDs - so some of the scoring stuff might be a little off... but I think this still gives the general picture. Both have had 2 years on the job and 2 years to build "their style".

This is combined stats from 2016 and 2017 YTD:

Scoring

Semore: 585 points / 27.86 points per game
Gregorak: 528 points / 25.14 points per game

Turnovers

Semore: 24 INTs / 20 fumbles / 44 total
Gregorak: 14 INTs / 14 fumbles / 28 total

Yardage Allowed:

Semore: 3193 rushing / 4878 passing / 8071 total / 384 yards per game
Gregorak: 3331 rushing / 4978 passing / 8309 total / 396 yards per game

TFLs / Sacks:

Semore: 182 TFLs / 63 sacks (8.67 TFLs and 3 sacks per game)
Gregorak: 108 TFLs / 31 sacks (5.14 TFLs and 1.5 sacks per game)

Defensive TDs:

Semore: 6 (1 fumble, 5 INT)
Gregorak: 2 (1 fumble, 1 INT)

3rd Down / 4th Down defense:

Semore: 104 for 318 = 33% 3rd down conversion & 13 for 33 = 39% on 4th down
Gregorak: 136 for 317 = 43% on 3rd down conversion & 24 for 44 = 55% on 4th down

Red Zone Defense

Semore: 55-83 scoring = 66% scores allowed / 47 TDs allowed = 57% TDs
Gregorak: 66-78 scoring = 85% scores allowed / 45 TDs allowed = 58% TDs

First Downs Allowed

Semore: 411 = 19.57 per game
Gregorak: 456 = 21.71 per game

Time on the field

Semore: 30:23 per game
Gregorak: 30:39 per game

--------------

Interesting to stack up side by side. Again there's some tough things to totally compare side by side considering each team hasn't played the exact same opponents and that some defensive stats (like scoring) might be skewed a little bit because it doesn't subtract scores given up by ST or by the offense (like pick-6 TDs for example).

Another thing to point out. Cats record in in the last two years is 7-13 to date, Griz is 13-8 yet head-to-head as we all know Gregorak's defense is 1-0 right now.

Gregorak worked wonders for what walked in to. Its amazing he took a defense that was ranked literally dead last in the nation, and within 2 years, with basically the same dudes, has brought to a point of at least being in the same conversation as UM's defense. Not everyone could have had that much success.

It would be really interesting to compare MSU's defense 2015 vs 2017, and then also UM 2015 vs 2017.

Not sure what UM would look like, but MSU's numbers would be MUUUUCH improved.

BWahlberg said:
DrainBramage said:
If you are going for the 'Bend, but don't break' philosophy i would be most concerned with the red zone defensive stat.
How did Gregoraks defenses fair in that category while at UM? Better than 85% allowed i'd think.

Yeah I did that:

I meant a Gregorak's defense at Montana college vs a Gregorak's defense while he was in Missoula.

AZDoc said:
ilovethecats said:
gotta assume strength of schedule plays a part in all of these stats too right?

Yep.

2016 MONTANA STATE FOOTBALL SCHEDULE

Sept. 1, at Idaho

Sept. 10, Bryant

Sept. 17, Western Oregon

Sept. 24, North Dakota
Oct. 1, at Sacramento State
Oct. 8, Northern Arizona
Oct. 15, at Weber State
Oct. 22, Eastern Washington
Oct. 29, Open

Nov. 5, at Southern Utah
Nov. 12, UC Davis
Nov. 19, at Montana

Go ahead and complain about this years ALL D1 schedule for the Griz :roll:
lol. wowsa.

i'm not complaining about anything. just said when comparing numbers like these i'd assume the strength of schedules must play a factor. apparently you disagree and that's ok too! :thumb:

Can a cat fan out there enlighten me about their CB's? I don't know anything about them. I know they are going to be missing one of them for the 1st half.

DrainBramage said:
BWahlberg said:
DrainBramage said:
If you are going for the 'Bend, but don't break' philosophy i would be most concerned with the red zone defensive stat.
How did Gregoraks defenses fair in that category while at UM? Better than 85% allowed i'd think.

Yeah I did that:

I meant a Gregorak's defense at Montana college vs a Gregorak's defense while he was in Missoula.

Oh I get what you're saying... One trick would be Ty had 4 years of stats at UM's DC, right? I'll check it out and re-post

ilovethecats said:
AZDoc said:
ilovethecats said:
gotta assume strength of schedule plays a part in all of these stats too right?

Yep.

2016 MONTANA STATE FOOTBALL SCHEDULE

Sept. 1, at Idaho

Sept. 10, Bryant

Sept. 17, Western Oregon

Sept. 24, North Dakota
Oct. 1, at Sacramento State
Oct. 8, Northern Arizona
Oct. 15, at Weber State
Oct. 22, Eastern Washington
Oct. 29, Open

Nov. 5, at Southern Utah
Nov. 12, UC Davis
Nov. 19, at Montana

Go ahead and complain about this years ALL D1 schedule for the Griz :roll:
lol. wowsa.

i'm not complaining about anything. just said when comparing numbers like these i'd assume the strength of schedules must play a factor. apparently you disagree and that's ok too! :thumb:

Oh no, I totally agree...just thought you were taking a shot at UM schedule this year, forgetting about Bryant and W Oregon :lol:

Walkon79 said:
I don't think you can just look at stats here. Ty had to change a "culture" at MSU with some really young players to boot. He's now put his stamp on this program like no assistant I've seen before with the exception of possibly McEndoo. We're on track to be really good on defense for years to come.

Choate likely in charge of creating the culture. Ty would normally be asked to support that. Here, he decided to do his own chaotic thing, create factions & get teammates to mistrust each other. Choate isn’t allowing that to occur there.

blackfootipa said:
Can a cat fan out there enlighten me about their CB's? I don't know anything about them. I know they are going to be missing one of them for the 1st half.

Talented but very young, even at full strength. BTW the "targeting" call was beyond bogus IMO.

...my problem with semore was disciplinarian...
...he seems to have tightened that all up...
...final grade comes saturday afternoon...

... :question: ...

blackfootipa said:

my personal opinion is they've far exceeded my expectations this year. considering our pass rush is usually pretty weak, the jobs those guys have been doing containing good wide receivers has been impressive.

not having cole the first half is going to hurt I think. which is why it's more vital than ever to get a rush and try to make you're qb uncomfortable. if he's gonna be able to sit back there and pick on our weakened secondary it's gonna be a long day

Walkon79 said:
blackfootipa said:

Talented but very young, even at full strength. BTW the "targeting" call was beyond bogus IMO.

Which one? There have been quite few, pivotal targeting calls this year.

Walkon79 said:
blackfootipa said:

Young. Period. As such - they lack the required talent. I watched a sequence last weekend that must have had 5 PIs called in the span of about 8 plays. It was ridiculous.

GJ is going to throw the ball all over the place. Griz receivers are a HUGE match-up problem for the cats. The biggest match-up problem the cats have is their linebackers...The NAU tight end owned Bignell. Simis will do the same...

Walkon79 said:
blackfootipa said:

CBs have been good for what they’ve been asked to do, but they have had a lot of help. We do a lot of max drops with 2 safeties deep. One thing that has really stood out is their ability to tackle the receiver immediately. They haven’t given up a lot of yards after contact, which is a huge change from two years ago.

Htowngriz said:
HookedonGriz said:
Wow interesting stuff. Kind of eye opening for me to be honest as it seems like Semore has had his struggles here. Thanks for putting together

He has but the usual suspects focus solely on that and refuse to give him any credit when the defense does play well.
I think that has a lot to do with who they play well against.

SoldierGriz said:
Walkon79 said:
blackfootipa said:

Young. Period. As such - they lack the required talent. I watched a sequence last weekend that must have had 5 PIs called in the span of about 8 plays. It was ridiculous.

GJ is going to throw the ball all over the place. Griz receivers are a HUGE match-up problem for the cats. The biggest match-up problem the cats have is their linebackers...The NAU tight end owned Bignell. Simis will do the same...
owned bignell? I must have missed that. he had two catches for less than 30 yards. he made a great play on the long catch, i'll give you that. i'll take those numbers all day. that marks receiver hurt us though but that doesn't really fall on our linebacker corps.

Key to beating a Gregorak defense was to put a couple of trick plays into the plan. When does Stitt do that? Key to beating a Semore defense, show him something they didn’t expect. I’d expect to see that on Saturday.

Back