• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Semore's defense vs Gregorak's defense, a 2-year look

One thing that seemed to really upset Gregorak is Stitt's offense, said it put must more pressure on his defense. He felt that the offense design at Bozeman would be much better. I think that there is probably some truth in that, very patient, time consuming drives definitely helps the defense. This would also affect these numbers.

Thanks for doing this BW, actually very surprised that the numbers read like they do. I would have thought they would have been the opposite.

ilovethecats said:
SoldierGriz said:
Walkon79 said:
blackfootipa said:
Can a cat fan out there enlighten me about their CB's? I don't know anything about them. I know they are going to be missing one of them for the 1st half.

Talented but very young, even at full strength. BTW the "targeting" call was beyond bogus IMO.

Young. Period. As such - they lack the required talent. I watched a sequence last weekend that must have had 5 PIs called in the span of about 8 plays. It was ridiculous.

GJ is going to throw the ball all over the place. Griz receivers are a HUGE match-up problem for the cats. The biggest match-up problem the cats have is their linebackers...The NAU tight end owned Bignell. Simis will do the same...
owned bignell? I must have missed that. he had two catches for less than 30 yards. he made a great play on the long catch, i'll give you that. i'll take those numbers all day. that marks receiver hurt us though but that doesn't really fall on our linebacker corps.

I wanted to see if you were paying attention. :lol: But, I do think Simis will have a big day.

It wasn't hard for NAU to get the cat linebackers matched up on their TE. Trips to the TE side...and we should see Simis v Bignell. Could be fun.

I'm not sure why NAU didn't do more of it...it worked when they did.

DrainBramage said:
Walkon79 said:
blackfootipa said:
Can a cat fan out there enlighten me about their CB's? I don't know anything about them. I know they are going to be missing one of them for the 1st half.

Talented but very young, even at full strength. BTW the "targeting" call was beyond bogus IMO.

Which one? There have been quite few, pivotal targeting calls this year.
The one that knocked Jalen Cole out of the first half this Saturday.

Big key will be if Gresch has time. If we can control the line of scrimmage, we will win.

SoldierGriz said:
ilovethecats said:
SoldierGriz said:
Walkon79 said:

Young. Period. As such - they lack the required talent. I watched a sequence last weekend that must have had 5 PIs called in the span of about 8 plays. It was ridiculous.

GJ is going to throw the ball all over the place. Griz receivers are a HUGE match-up problem for the cats. The biggest match-up problem the cats have is their linebackers...The NAU tight end owned Bignell. Simis will do the same...
owned bignell? I must have missed that. he had two catches for less than 30 yards. he made a great play on the long catch, i'll give you that. i'll take those numbers all day. that marks receiver hurt us though but that doesn't really fall on our linebacker corps.

I wanted to see if you were paying attention. :lol: But, I do think Simis will have a big day.

It wasn't hard for NAU to get the cat linebackers matched up on their TE. Trips to the TE side...and we should see Simis v Bignell. Could be fun.

Mac held his own against the SDSU TE, and he's going to the show. I like this match-up.

Walkon79 said:
SoldierGriz said:
ilovethecats said:
SoldierGriz said:

Mac held his own against the SDSU TE, and he's going to the show. I like this match-up.

Bignell is a stud, in my opinion best player on your team, and it's really not even close. I like the matchup of our receivers against your secondary. I don't think our tight ends will have a big game.

1972 said:
Walkon79 said:
SoldierGriz said:
ilovethecats said:

Bignell is a stud, in my opinion best player on your team, and it's really not even close. I like the matchup of our receivers against your secondary. I don't think our tight ends will have a big game.

Yep, make a catch in his neighborhood or run to his side at your own risk. :)

bgbigdog said:
Walkon79 said:
I don't think you can just look at stats here. Ty had to change a "culture" at MSU with some really young players to boot. He's now put his stamp on this program like no assistant I've seen before with the exception of possibly McEndoo. We're on track to be really good on defense for years to come.

Choate likely in charge of creating the culture. Ty would normally be asked to support that. Here, he decided to do his own chaotic thing, create factions & get teammates to mistrust each other. Choate isn’t allowing that to occur there.

Don't downplay Ty's role on the team, Bigdog. Choate relies on him for the coaches' film day brunches as well as tiddying up the coaches' booths after each home game.

1073-comedy-1-59b735b2dfb85.jpeg

bgbigdog said:
Walkon79 said:
I don't think you can just look at stats here. Ty had to change a "culture" at MSU with some really young players to boot. He's now put his stamp on this program like no assistant I've seen before with the exception of possibly McEndoo. We're on track to be really good on defense for years to come.

Choate likely in charge of creating the culture. Ty would normally be asked to support that. Here, he decided to do his own chaotic thing, create factions & get teammates to mistrust each other. Choate isn’t allowing that to occur there.

I don't disagree on the first part. I also think this culture fits his style pretty well. I'm only going to comment on the second part to say we've seen no evidence of that here and I don't expect to.

Very good. Based on those stat comparisons, what will the final score be on Saturday? (I have to figure out a way to tie or beat armonte in the "Pick 'Em" competition!)

Walkon79 said:
1972 said:
Walkon79 said:
SoldierGriz said:

Yes - probably the best defensive player in the league. Much respect here.

I don't think Stitt will stay away from him. I really do think he'll scheme to get Griz inside receivers matched up with him (and other cat linebacker). Watch for it early - and if successful, watch for it often.

AllWeatherFan said:
Very good. Based on those stat comparisons, what will the final score be on Saturday? (I have to figure out a way to tie or beat armonte in the "Pick 'Em" competition!)

I've got a lug wrench, just need a home address! :thumb:

SoldierGriz said:
Walkon79 said:
1972 said:
Walkon79 said:

I don't think Stitt will stay away from him. I really do think he'll scheme to get Griz inside receivers matched up with him (and other cat linebacker). Watch for it early - and if successful, watch for it often.

Might be best to run at him vs. allowing him to pursue.

Walkon79 said:
SoldierGriz said:
Walkon79 said:
1972 said:

Might be best to run at him vs. allowing him to pursue.

I think I saw him get an assist on nearly every play last week...if the Griz can run at him OR away from him...watch out. I don't think the cat D-line will get much pressure on GJ as it is.

Ursa Major said:
AllWeatherFan said:

I've got a lug wrench, just need a home address! :thumb:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

1972 said:
One thing that seemed to really upset Gregorak is Stitt's offense, said it put must more pressure on his defense. He felt that the offense design at Bozeman would be much better. I think that there is probably some truth in that, very patient, time consuming drives definitely helps the defense. This would also affect these numbers.

Thanks for doing this BW, actually very surprised that the numbers read like they do. I would have thought they would have been the opposite.

And the kind of fascinating thing is that over the last two years the MSU defense has been on the field more, but not by a lot, than Montana's.

BWahlberg said:
ilovethecats said:
gotta assume strength of schedule plays a part in all of these stats too right?

That's one of my qualifiers that it doesn't since I'd have no clue how to weight the two... Guess I could pull each teams Sagarin for the year... but that's not really just SoS though...

2017:
Griz - 135
Cats - 148

2016:
Griz - 134
Cats - 180

------------

ILTC - had someone on twitter share this:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/JordanMiller406/status/930910787887083520[/tweet]

Ursa Major said:
bgbigdog said:
Walkon79 said:

Don't downplay Ty's role on the team, Bigdog. Choate relies on him for the coaches' film day brunches as well as tiddying up the coaches' booths after each home game.

The last couple of times I’ve seen him on TV, I’ve commented that he shouldn’t get anything but the fruit & veg plate @ the buffet...

BWahlberg said:
HookedonGriz said:
Wow interesting stuff. Kind of eye opening for me to be honest as it seems like Semore has had his struggles here. Thanks for putting together

I thought it would be interesting to see how the two stack up. Does it mean they'd have the same results if they traded places? Obviously, no. I just found it pretty fascinating to look at the two side by side with 21 games a piece to compare their body of work to date. This kind of sprung up as an idea when I was doing the MSU scouting report and started noticing some numbers for the Griz defensively that were as good or better than MSU's.

I think it would be fair to say Semore has also had more talent to work worth than TG.

bgbigdog said:
Ursa Major said:
bgbigdog said:
Walkon79 said:

The last couple of times I’ve seen him on TV, I’ve commented that he shouldn’t get anything but the fruit & veg plate @ the buffet...
This picture was Waded's PR idea to promote healthy eating on campus. Have you seen a picture of the cats' coaching staff? It looks like the "before picture" on The Biggest Losers.

Back